Star Wars Saturation Point Begins: Standalone Film Announced For 2016

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Star Wars Saturation Point Begins: Standalone Film Announced For 2016

Han Solo Blaster Auction

Godzilla director Gareth Edwards will helm several standalone Star Wars spin-offs.

In addition to the upcoming J.J Abrams directed Star Wars trilogy, Disney has now just announced that a series of standalone spin-offs will be produced by Godzilla director Gareth Edwards and screenwriter Gary Whitta. The first of these films will be released on December 16, 2016, and while Disney didn't announce its subject matter, the company previously stated that such standalone films would most likely be origin stories, with everyone from Yoda, Boba Fett, to Han Solo thrown around as possible candidates.

Gareth Edwards first made a name for himself with his acclaimed work on Monsters, a film he wrote, directed and served on as cinematographer and visual effects artist. He then went on to make the recently released Godzilla, which earned $38.5 million on its first day, and went on to earn $93.1 million in domestic box office for the weekend.

"Ever since I saw Star Wars I knew exactly what I wanted to do for the rest of my life -- join the Rebel Alliance! I could not be more excited and honored to go on this mission with Lucasfilm," said Edwards.

Gary Whitta is perhaps best known for 2010's The Book of Eli, but video game fans may know him better for his work on TellTale Game's The Walking Dead series.

Are you excited at the prospect of a Bobba Fett/Han Solo origin feature, or do you think that the franchise is starting to get a bit over-saturated?

Source: Star Wars.com

I do not think this news is going to be met with rapturous applause, but clearly the man's keen and I wish him well.

Yeah, that's it Disney! Milk that cow for all she's worth! Milk it 'til she bleeds from her udders!

Well, something good might come out of it. Maybe.

Expect to see the new Sta Wars spin-off hit theatres on May 6th 2016!!!

Oh, wait a minute...

Kmadden2004:

Oh, wait a minute...

No way, I'm already trying to work out going to two midnight showings at once. JK, I'm not going to the Dawn of Justice (League) at midnight.

Because Star Wars wasn't saturated before under the creaking weight of all the books, video games, TV series, toys etc?

It's definitely become over-saturated. Just like Batman, there's way too much of it. If it turns out good, that's great, but I can't get excited for this stuff anymore. It's no longer the exciting new thing that happens once a decade; it's just expected now.

I look forward to seeing a massive Space battle between the Rebel Alliance and the Empire, only to cut away from the first opening salvo to follow some diplomat rambling about midichlorians.

if modern corporate suits existed back in the renaissance era, we would have 17 portrait sequels to the mona lisa and a spin off statue series

id like them to do a jar-jar binks origin story movie, simply because the rage would be delicious

As any Jedi should, I only recognize the possibilities, both good and bad, and await the revelation of sufficient information before passing judgement.

To Edwards and Whitta, may the Force be with you, because the whiny fanboys sure as hell won't.

Well I know that the two major players already involved, while having arguable quality, aren't what I'd call sellouts, so I expect something ambitious. Personally, I want to see a Thrawn movie or one regarding tThe Old Republic era. Who wouldn't want to see Mandolorians tearing shit up?

templar1138a:
As any Jedi should, I only recognize the possibilities, both good and bad, and await the revelation of sufficient information before passing judgement.

Bah, you Jedi and your dead religion. Somebody you will have to come into the modern era and see that your vision of positivity is t- *choking sounds*

I think it's a bad sign that people are asking about over saturation already, but than again people have become so cynical over the Star Wars movies that this isn't exactly a great surprise. I personally think that the only way to avoid the question of Star Wars movies being "over saturated" is to turn out varied and quality movies from the in the Star Wars universe. I mean I have no doubt JJ Abrahms is going to make the big budget flashy popcorn movie, but nothing is stopping them from having this other Star Wars movie from being a political thriller that might set up Abrahms films better. BUT I also don't like Abrahms that much as a director and I don't think he'd have skill or vision for that sort ambitious project. Oh how I'd like to be wrong for this one unlike how I at all wasn't for his Star Trek movies.

Oh...they can reboot the Ewok movies!

Anyway, I hope this turns out well, but that ep7 is rubbish so nobody cares...

ok, so the guy who did Monsters also did Godzilla,

and is now slated for SEVERAL Star Wars™ spin-offs?

Jumping Jesus on a Pogo stick!

Directors of cinema are clearly the biggest whores in the industry of creativity, eschewing any and all artistic integrity for biggest wad.

as if I need anymore reason to despise non-interactive media.

Origin stories, eh? Like the one about Darth Vader?

The original trilogy had something to say. Unless these origins stories have something to say (other than, "This is how we got that awesome character everyone loves from the original trilogy"), then I don't see it working out any better than the last attempt at it.

I don't know that I am going to call this oversaturation until I see the quality of the product. I am enjoying the hell out of the marvel movies and they just can't release fast enough for me because they are good. They said from the day Lucas sold the universe to Disney that they were going to do 1 movie a year starting in 2015 so this doesn't come as a surprise.

Personally, I am hoping for a movie dedicated to the 501st legion during the Jedi purge. I want to see Vader kick ass in his prime.

'Saturated' might be going a bit far considering we don't yet have a single one of the new movies....

Now, when we actually get to the point when we've had a couple and are still getting one per year or so, then yes.

What made them pick Garreth Edwards? I don't have anything against him (or any opinion at all about him) but was he picked solely because of Godzilla?

Steven Bogos:

Are you excited at the prospect of a Bobba Fett/Han Solo origin feature, or do you think that the franchise is starting to get a bit over-saturated?

Waitwaitwait....

Ok so I'm going to throw a rather random thought out there, but what if this is all building toward a new Star Wars Cinematic Universe (SWCU) that Disney, like they did with Marvel, will start with a few smaller scope movies, more loosely tied into a bigger Star Wars context. That is to say that instead of everything being forced to expand on one line, they do like marvel and make an episode 7 but between then, they have a few various characters and spin offs that come together later for episode 8. That could be really cool if done correctly. Like instead of having a General Thrawn spin off saga or a Mara Jade spin off saga, that comes together in a large context in an Avengers Equivalent movie. There are so many characters that they could take and give their own movie too and I would love to see some of them.

If they pull something like that off it, they would just simply own nostalgia and print money off of it. Nostalgia itself will become a Disney Product.

evilnancyreagan:
ok, so the guy who did Monsters also did Godzilla,

and is now slated for SEVERAL Star Wars™ spin-offs?

Jumping Jesus on a Pogo stick!

Directors of cinema are clearly the biggest whores in the industry of creativity, eschewing any and all artistic integrity for biggest wad.

as if I need anymore reason to despise non-interactive media.

I'm just going to go ahead and assume that was sarcasm, and that you don't actually believe such a drastic oversimplification.

OT: As if the near endless stream of media we got before this WASN'T saturation? In this age of franchise geared filmmaking, you had to at least expect SOME spin-off films? Why the first is going to Gareth Edwards, is beyond me. Sure, the guys chock full of interesting ideas, and I think he has a clever way of subverting expectations, but nothing he's done screams Star Wars. Who knows, maybe it'll be a kaiju flick where a rancor terrorizes Tattoine.

Soviet Heavy:
I look forward to seeing a massive Space battle between the Rebel Alliance and the Empire, only to cut away from the first opening salvo to follow some diplomat rambling about midichlorians.

Haha, thank you good sir. That made me laugh.
OT: wow disney. Really milking that cow dead arn't ya? I'd say dry but I think we are already past that point by now.

Guitarmasterx7:

Steven Bogos:

Waitwaitwait....

I am simultaneously aghast and jealous.

But yeah, I've already hit my Star Wars saturation point, at least for the time being. I voraciously consumed everything related to the franchise growing up, regardless of how great or shitty it was. I plumbed the depths of that well for all it could give, and eventually I became fatigued of the whole thing.

Don't get me wrong, I'll always like Star Wars. Hell, the new films might even rekindle that unbridled childhood enthusiasm in me again. For now though, I'm content to leave it be aside from the occasional trip down nostalgia lane.

King Whurdler:
Who knows, maybe it'll be a kaiju flick where a rancor terrorizes Tattoine.

And the only way to stop it is to get some Sand People to summon a Krayt Dragon to beat the rancor.

Please please don't do origin stories for existing characters, especially those that have already been explored and defined by the actors over 30 years ago.

If you are going to do origins, do it with new characters. New characters with an interesting story to tell and who take us out of and away from the Skywalker era.

And no, I don't care if it conflicts with all the Jacen Solo, Cade Skywalker EU stuff. I always hated that everything seemed to revolve around this one family. It's the universe that appeals to people, explore other aspects of it with unrelated people.

Then maybe you will have somewhere to go with the movies when Abrams trilogy ends up sucking terribly.

STENDEC1:
Yeah, that's it Disney! Milk that cow for all she's worth! Milk it 'til she bleeds from her udders!

The worst thing is that it's going to work. We will all complain and moan about how cruelly the cow in this case is being treated and how horrible it is...but we will still drink it, either in secret or with bowed heads, we will all drink it. Because it is the sweet drink of saturated with childhood nostalgia and wonderment, a sugar that Disney has solliceted for years without fail.

I sometimes wish there was an organisation to call out the malpractice of Disney and it's ilk of cash cow milkers. That People would fight for an Ethical Treatment of Entertainment.

"Entertainment is not ours to exploit, remake-reboot-sequel-adapt ad nauseam, or be unoriginal in any way."
PETE

In all seriousness, it is beyond ridiculous at this point, I have no idea how to bring original stories back into the Hollywood, it is an evil cycle, and we as nostalgia addicts cannot help ourselves. Especially when Disney has had a better track record with... quality control in regards to their milk.

LobsterFeng:
What made them pick Garreth Edwards? I don't have anything against him (or any opinion at all about him) but was he picked solely because of Godzilla?

That is how the industry works, you make a blockbuster you get to make another blockbuster, regardless of whether the prior movie was similar or you have and original thought.
The real question is who the hell did Edwards have to █████ and ████ with to land Godzilla in the first place?

MarsAtlas:

King Whurdler:
Who knows, maybe it'll be a kaiju flick where a rancor terrorizes Tattoine.

And the only way to stop it is to get some Sand People to summon a Krayt Dragon to beat the rancor.

And, there'll be a somewhat interesting subversion in that the movie focuses heavily on buildup. Unfortunately, we'll have to spend most of that buildup with Sand People doing... Sand People stuff I guess.

iseko:

Soviet Heavy:

OT: wow Disney. Really milking that cow dead aren't ya? I'd say dry but I think we are already past that point by now.

At this point the cow's udders no longer bleed because there's no blood left and it's bones have beaten to powder after nothing was left of the dead horse, Disney just puts shredded bits of decayed cow skin in a cup.

This is me, jumping off of the bandwagon,
The books are gone, the colletion of figures and lightsabres sold, and I'm having my tattoo covered over.

iseko:

Soviet Heavy:

So funny... yet so true!

I would be excited about something like this... but, I'll wait until the book adaptations come out, instead...

Oh wait...

I don't mind more movies, but does it have to be origin stories? I really don't care about Han Solos origins, can't we just allude to something without making it into a movie? Do we have to explain everything? And personally i can't see what's so cool about Bobba Fett to warrant an entire movie, he's barely in the movies and the little we see of him doesn't exactly scream: I need my own movie!

I'll probably see them, but there's so much they could do that silly origin stories seems to be the least interesting choice.

The guy who wrote for the Walking Dead game?

Maybe something can be salvaged here...
All in all, at least the director is keen to do work on it... So, maybe that will amount to something in the future...

Not likely, but there's (very) slim hope...

but in the end, WOOOO MORE STAR WARS!?!!

I'm psyched. I love me some star wars, so bring it.

Kmadden2004:

Oh, wait a minute...

Disney already have Captain America 3 for that date so don't expect a Star Wars film as well.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here