Google Fiber Working with Netflix, not Charging for Fast Lane or Colocation

Google Fiber Working with Netflix, not Charging for Fast Lane or Colocation

Netflix

Google doesn't charge for faster access because "it's really a win-win-win situation."

A few months ago, Netflix paid an undisclosed (read: very, very large) sum of cash to Comcast in order to more directly access its network. This sort of "colocation" deal -- putting Netflix hardware in the same buildings as Comcast hardware -- ensures that Comcast won't throttle down on Netflix content as it goes out into Comcast's network.

Netflix paid the money (and made a similar deal with Verizon), but it's not very happy about paying the money. That's why it's using Google Fiber as a free colocation ally, if this Google Fiber blog post by Network Engineering Director Jeffrey Burgan is any indication.

"...we invite content providers to hook up their networks directly to ours
We have also worked with services like Netflix so that they can 'colocate' their equipment in our Fiber facilities.
Netflix has placed their own servers within our facilities (in the same place where we keep our own video-on-demand content). Because the servers are closer to where you live, your content will get to you faster and should be a higher quality. We give companies like Netflix and Akamai free access to space and power in our facilities and they provide their own content servers. We don't make money from peering or colocation; since people usually only stream one video at a time, video traffic doesn't bog down or change the way we manage our network in any meaningful way - so why not help enable it?"

Google Fiber is, admittedly, not the broadband powerhouse that Comcast is. Well, it is in terms of speed, but not when you look at customer figures (a gap that start closing later this year). But that isn't stopping the Google Fiber team from opening its doors -- and network -- to content providers, free of charge.

The relationships that Netflix has with Comcast and Google Fiber are polar opposites on the net neutrality spectrum. Google says free colocation for content providers is "win-win-win" because it provides the Netflix's of the world to up their game (4K video), it brings down costs for ISPs (transporting video data from a local Google Fiber station, instead of across a country/region/state), and it keeps customers happy because they get the content they want (and usually pay for) as quickly as possible.

So Google was evil last year, and will be good this year, and presumably evil in 2015?

The doublespeak is strong with this one. My netflix sub remains inactive until they stop flip flopping around this issue.

Actual capitalism at work gentlemen: "Does this benefit the customer, the guys providing the content I'm supposed to be getting in the customer's hands, and especially me in the long run?" is the question businesses such as service providers should always ask themselves before doing stupid shit like Comcast did. They're shooting themselves in the foot but they'll only realise it when the wound's infected and they have to amputate.

Greed is good when it moves the world, but shallow-minded, close-ended, quick and cash-grabbing greed does not. Google gets it.

Can't help but feel this is all part of Google's plan to take over the world by means of which we are ok with.

Can't say I'm complaining, this will probably force Comcast to change at some point, and do so for the better, and that's good for all of us.

Zontar:
Can't help but feel this is all part of Google's plan to take over the world by means of which we are ok with.

Can't say I'm complaining, this will probably force Comcast to change at some point, and do so for the better, and that's good for all of us.

2020 rolls around, google owns all ISP's and 90% of all cable networks.

Production has started on the google Car update for the mandatory Google Glass for Google Citizens.

No one cares, because they are a better company than Comcast.

being said though, I'm totally not building an anti-google glass militia who will do Red Dawn style raids to destroy the douhebag creator that is google glass.

So Google is calling out Comcast and Verizon for being full of shiat.

thisbymaster:
So Google is calling out Comcast and Verizon for being full of shiat.

The huge faceless corporation that's run by more technically minded people is the hero against the conglomeration of other huge faceless corporations who have been attempting to hold on to old technology because the profit margin is higher.

We live in an F-ed time when this is who I'm rooting for.

I worked for a phone company in 2003 who would regularly give out huge sales prizes for whoever could sell the most dial-up internet. Because the profit margin was 900% higher than DSL. They even allocated more tech support to dial-up than DSL because customer retention for those accounts was more important.

A major point that is not being mentioned ever in this whole debate is the billions of dollars that have been granted by public and private interests to all of these huge ISP's to enhance their broadband service which they have spent on no such thing ever. They might actually have a legitimate business argument from a certain standpoint if they hadn't already been paid huge sums of money to get this problem they are complaining about fixed years and years ago.

MCerberus:
So Google was evil last year, and will be good this year, and presumably evil in 2015?

Don't be absurd. They'll be evil again next time they screw up YouTube.

These swings happen waaaaaay faster than annually.

Zachary Amaranth:

MCerberus:

Don't be absurd. They'll be evil again next time they screw up YouTube.

These swings happen waaaaaay faster than annually.

Wait, when did they fix YouTube on the first place? In fact, YouTube is so screwed up already that just screwing up something more in it has a high chance of fixing something completely unrelated just by total accident at this point...

GabeZhul:

Wait, when did they fix YouTube on the first place? In fact, YouTube is so screwed up already that just screwing up something more in it has a high chance of fixing something completely unrelated just by total accident at this point...

Oh, thy'll never fix it unless by accident.

Clever bastards. They'll make more profit in the long run by helping consumers get what they want and not standing in the way too much. It's a smart PR move taking advantage of Comcast's recent actions.

James Crook:
Actual capitalism at work gentlemen: "Does this benefit the customer, the guys providing the content I'm supposed to be getting in the customer's hands, and especially me in the long run?" is the question businesses such as service providers should always ask themselves before doing stupid shit like Comcast did. They're shooting themselves in the foot but they'll only realise it when the wound's infected and they have to amputate.

capitalism does not mean what you think it means.
Actual capitalism would be: "Does it benefit ME?"
And thats where it ends. there is only me in capitalism. any other benefit is a byproduct.

which is why unregulated capitalism never works.

GabeZhul:

i used to think that until the last update that proved you CAN get worse.

MCerberus:

More specifically, this is a situation where our interests, and the interest of netflix, are some what more in line with google's. True, happy customers become loyal customers, but I'm sure there is something google gets out of this other than that. Still, as long as my interest correlates more with google that is who the "good" guy is.

That and I'm legitimately fond of google and it's services, except for youtube fiasco.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here