Wolfenstein: The New Order's Huge Download Frightens Pirates, Just Not Enough

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Wolfenstein: The New Order's Huge Download Frightens Pirates, Just Not Enough

43GB???? *hurk* I'm going to Steam!

"I have to uninstall like 10 games to play this shit!!" moans one potential pirate, eying the 43GB download for Wolfenstein: The New Order. Bethesda's supersized title seems to have been one side of fried Nazi too many for some pirates, particularly since - in the very early hours after launch - there were far more people wanting to download than there were illicit sources. What under other circumstances might have taken a few hours instead lasted a day or more.

"I was gonna get this torrent but I saw the size and how long it would take me to download it, I said fuck it I'm getting it from Steam," said one pirate, a view that was echoed by many others. When legitimate sources like Steam provide a more convenient option, it'd seem many are fairweather freebooters, willing to jump ship as soon as a 2 hour download time starts to look enticing.

That said, Wolfenstein still became the most popular game torrent last week. More than 100,000 people endured the download time - it got better as more seeders appeared - to pirate Bethesda's shooter. While inconvenience clearly had a deterrent effect, that wasn't enough to keep the pirates away from Wolfenstein: the New Order.

Source: TorrentFreak

Good lord. With a 75GB data cap each month that's even too big for me to buy it on Steam.

Digital-only future my ass.

How does this make any sense? It's not like it'd be smaller on steam. Heck steam even uses torrent to accelerate the dl.

Well, to be fair we have been watching this situation with software download sizes and internet infrastructure for a while now. I've got the feeling that for truly massive games we probably will still prefer physical media for installation over digital download unless the retail business for games completely tanks and we all have to go for online orders.

For my Vita I actually look up the sizes of the game downloads and determine if I want a physical copy or not. I've got Deception: blood ties and Gravity Rush as hard copies while Muramasa: Rebirth and Persona 3 Portable are both Digital.

I believe that AP refers to public trackers where ppl leach but don't seed (due to low up speed/beeing greedy) what gives VERY slow speeds. On private trackers you don't have such problems because everyone want's to seed (they have to as not to get kicked from the tracker) and you get usually your full DL speed (bar some really sick connections). Steam has dedicated servers that also get a good DL speed so it's better to pay than wait few days (or more with such a big download) on a public tracker.

McKitten:
How does this make any sense? It's not like it'd be smaller on steam. Heck steam even uses torrent to accelerate the dl.

Steam tends to have stable download speeds and isn't subject to seeders dropping out.

Of course this isn't a perfect solution, as Cowabungaa's plight shows.

Cowabungaa:
Good lord. With a 75GB data cap each month that's even too big for me to buy it on Steam.

Digital-only future my ass.

I know that feel. But for me, in 1 weeks time I go from 200GB split between 4 people, to getting naked broadband, ie unlimited data. I live in NZ and these plans only just have started arriving now, they probably have existed in the UK and States for years and years.

Unlimited data is the only way forward that I see.

Ed130 The Vanguard:

McKitten:

Steam tends to have stable download speeds and isn't subject to seeders dropping out.

Its not even that, Steam has BETTER speeds than even the best torrents.

SWIM(Someone who isnt me) who lives in my house torrents a lot, and they tell me torrenting say the new Game of Thrones episode, tops around 1mb/s. For Steam for me, I get around 1.5mb/s without any jumps or delays.

Nonsense. You can't trust people who comment on pirate websites. They all probably downloaded it. Some of them just want to appear honest. Maybe it wasn't a pirate at all. Maybe it was one of the developers.
If you don't want something for free, you probably don't want to pay for it either. I didn't buy the game because it's too fuckin' huge. I have no interest in playing a 50Gb 10h FPS. I might get it some day if I'm able to find a retail copy.

Well, that is a 70 minute download for me both in steam and in torrent form :P .
I do hope people bougjt it though, its a lovely game
Now I await my Doom beta

this all seems very contrived...

I wonder if anyone understands that the reason so many games are coming out at 50gb is because they no longer have to compress them on console now that every console uses Blu-ray for on-disc storage, which means large download sizes for games like this, Titanfall, and so on, is basically down to lazy ports.

There's no reason why a game like this has to be 43gb. In today's ISP climate, it's ludicrous to expect people will tolerate it; piracy or not, especially when you factor in how many people choose to game on SSDs (which uncompressed assets would benefit from running on, Gift of the Magi style, "I traded my small space for uncompressed assets!" "I traded my harddrive capacity for loading performance!")

Karloff:
2 hour download time

Haha, as if. It took me 10 hours to download Transistor and it was only 3 GB. Brazilian internet is shit, so I'm screwed unless I buy physical which will cost R$200,00 (Around 90-100 dolaroos) which I'm not willing to for Wolfenstein.

The Digital-Only Future looks darker and darker.

Slow news day.
Also I find that well seeded torrents are universally faster than steam, then again steam is more convenient in general. I just realised I haven't pirated a game in.....ever.

Those 500 GB harddrives for Xbox One and PS4 are going to start filling up FAST...

yeah it's not like it stopped them either
some group made a repack that consists of the game but with replaced textures and CGI cutscenes, and uses the ones from the PS3 version
fuckers' getting crafty now

McKitten:

steam download time is WAAAYY shorter, trust me i know

plus is cheap as shit and convenient, pirating sucks ass compared to steam and gog.com, is just not worth it

teh_Canape:
yeah it's not like it stopped them either
some group made a repack that consists of the game but with replaced textures and CGI cutscenes, and uses the ones from the PS3 version
fuckers' getting crafty now

i gotta give them credit for that, hell bethesda couldve done that!, kinda like skyrim and the free high res texture pack

Penguinplayer:

Karloff:
2 hour download time

Haha, as if. It took me 10 hours to download Transistor and it was only 3 GB. Brazilian internet is shit, so I'm screwed unless I buy physical which will cost R$200,00 (Around 90-100 dolaroos) which I'm not willing to for Wolfenstein.

The Digital-Only Future looks darker and darker.

i disagree, atleast now thanks to digital distribution we southerners have a chance to own a legit copy of the game at some fucking reasonable prices

Andy of Comix Inc:
I wonder if anyone understands that the reason so many games are coming out at 50gb is because they no longer have to compress them on console now that every console uses Blu-ray for on-disc storage, which means large download sizes for games like this, Titanfall, and so on, is basically down to lazy ports.

There's no reason why a game like this has to be 43gb. In today's ISP climate, it's ludicrous to expect people will tolerate it; piracy or not, especially when you factor in how many people choose to game on SSDs (which uncompressed assets would benefit from running on, Gift of the Magi style, "I traded my small space for uncompressed assets!" "I traded my harddrive capacity for loading performance!")

I'm not sure whether it's laziness, but I agree that the size is a ludicrous proposition considering current ISP practices. My maximum data limit is 80GB a month, and that's only if I'm paying extra already. I'm not going to pay extra just so I can download a game because the developer decided that asset compression was for too "last gen". At this point I wonder how much business they're losing to people like me that would have bought it already were it not for the size.

Just wait a few weeks. There will be torrents that will compress the download size by 30-45%. Regardless, this shit shouldn't be tolerated because if you have the storage space to pull these stunts doesn't mean you should. Not everyone wants to download bloatware onto their PCs.

With much dismay, pirated software provides a better customer service.

funny. how about titanfall? that is also 50gb. sure it has been torrented but i didnt read anything about it either that pirates were turned off by it. i sure was shocked but at least origin downloads games far more faster then steam. and since i pre ordered it, i was able to pre download the game, which took me also over a day.

Heck, my intel ssd is only 120mgigs (100 usable)

Ill have to actually play these 'new gen' games literally onae at a time!

I'm downloading 750kb/s max at Steam. If I used torrent for this it would probably be around 200-400kb/s either way a fucking long wait. For Doom-Slayer it is 1 mb/s to 1.5mb/s. Either way I think people who want it for free will be willing to wait the extra time.

I would understand the argument if Steam offered a compressed version but you get the exact same uncompressed nonsense, so this seems more like an attempt at turning some pirates over by the community... after all most people pirate because it's the cooler thing to do.

Now if Valve was wise they would actually offer compression on Steams end to put them one step over the competing torrent download.

McKitten:

Some torrent sites deal with up/down ratio. Meaning, if you only download, you get a bad ratio, and risk getting kicked out. So you would potentially have to "pay back" to the community by seeding back everything you download, hopefully at a ratio better than 1. This can take some time, and uploading 43 GB takes considerably longer time than downloading it. In the times when I was a filthy pirate, I'd carefully consider if a download was worth the potential ratio loss, and if I'd manage to regain it over time. Yeah, eventually Steam just got easier in the end. The only thing I have to worry about is my wallet.

Wait, how is this sold in retail? On 5 double-layer DVDs?

Also I wonder, is this the megatexture thing taking up so much space or were the devs just stupid and used massive video files, SWTFU-style?

McKitten:

Yeah, that news is kind of weird. It works if we talk about torrent dl vs retail copy.

The only potential issue I see is the disk space, because you'll need both the downloaded disk files and space to install the game. You may also want to keep it for some time and seed, if you've pirated the game from a torrent.
Other than that, the dl speed difference is hardly a reason to buy a game (if you've decided to pirate it in the first place, that is).

Karloff:
"I was gonna get this torrent but I saw the size and how long it would take me to download it, I said fuck it I'm getting it from Steam," said one pirate, a view that was echoed by many others.

Yep I'm callin' bullshit on this. If the quote had been "fuck it I'm getting it retail", that I could understand. A half hour installing all the data off however many discs it comes on plus the time to drive to the store and back is still way faster than the download is likely to be.

Just for your information.

The retail version is linked to Steam and comes on 4 DVD's.

After installing from disc, you still have a 13gig download from Steam to complete the game.

It takes about an hour to install the discs and another 30 minutes to download the Steam content.

Is it worth it?

Yep, if you like old style shooters.

I still don't understand why this game is so massive. From what I've seen, a lot of the textures are really muddy and low res. What the fuck is taking up all that space?

Soviet Heavy:
I still don't understand why this game is so massive. From what I've seen, a lot of the textures are really muddy and low res. What the fuck is taking up all that space?

They use a process called "mega textures" which means that every single surface is a different texture. Thats what I read anyway.

"What under other circumstances might have taken a few hours instead lasted a day or more."
Really? They got all sad-faced because their FREE game would not be there *today*?
I can not understand that at ALL... I'm pretty sure you are never allowed to look a gift horse in the mouth!
If people where complaining about their bandwith caps, that I can understand, but this?

Crazy. Also crazy; the massive size *all* games are going to be now that the consoles are up to looking like PC games from a few years ago! Seriously, I just got a new 840 EVO 250 GB... That's gonna hold about 4 new games at a time, tops.
Lucky for me that I only play one game at a time, but still!

Andy of Comix Inc:

I am not sure what you are getting at in that last comment in parentheses, it makes no sense to me, so I apologize if my response is inappropriate, but...

I wouldn't call it lazy ports. Storage space is cheap right now and processing power is expensive. The large game size is generally due to uncompressed assets which saves processing power (you do not have to uncompress the assets at run time.) Frankly it would be fairly stupid not to install the game in uncompressed format when 2 TB drives are the standard.

Also, generally speaking, the assets are compressed for delivery and uncompressed at install. The Titanfall install was around 50gb but it only took 10gb to download, if I remember correctly.

Doom-Slayer:
I know that feel. But for me, in 1 weeks time I go from 200GB split between 4 people, to getting naked broadband, ie unlimited data. I live in NZ and these plans only just have started arriving now, they probably have existed in the UK and States for years and years.

Unlimited data is the only way forward that I see.

We don't have unlimited in the States: no competition, no regulation, no investment in infrastructure, and general apathy about it all has kept us in a virtual dark age for broadband (our speeds per dollar are slower compared to most other nations of an equal industrial/economic level). I've been bumping my head on a 200gb monthly limit for years, paying extra when running over and a premium for only wanting internet and not getting television or phone service; my mother and I couldn't even watch netflix in HD because we hit our cap too fast. I generally only play single-player or offline; I can't imagine trying to get by with an mmo subspcription or massive dota addiction.

OT: That is a mighty big download, but I'm happy to see some bigger games finally making the rounds. I think Skyrim was majorly ham-stringed simply because it had to fit on the xbox 360. Speaking as someone who actually has a blu-ray drive, I wouldn't mind buying more physical pc games if it meant I could avoid that stupid bandwidth cap. Even if I had to download them, I don't think it would be an issue outside of major steam sales and whatnot.

I don't see massive download sizes being an effective deterrent, and even if it were it would only last so long as there were bandwidth caps and slower speeds.

Like others I question that this actually made some pirates go and get it from steam instead...though it does raise an interesting question. Aren't at some point 500GB discs going to get pushed to "replace" Blue-Ray? Making games around that 500GB marker could damage people's want to download any of those games... well compression does exist granted but I'm unsure how much that would cut down on all those GBs as my experience with compression has lead to at times having little effect.

Sgt. Sykes:
Wait, how is this sold in retail? On 5 double-layer DVDs?

Also I wonder, is this the megatexture thing taking up so much space or were the devs just stupid and used massive video files, SWTFU-style?

4 Discs for the PC version, I have it sat on my desk.

Why physical for PC you may wonder? Simple.

39.99 vs 26.80

Andy of Comix Inc:

Agreed, I've long since loathed the lack of optimization. If Watch_Dogs tried to streamline for PC half as well as they did on PS4, PC users could probably coax better graphics from their rigs without having to take a mortgage out for an uber-rig. There is no reason that I should be able to run Witcher 2 at Ultimate Spec, but relegate Watch_Dogs to medium.

Similarly, there is no reason that data compression should be ignored. There have been a few times where I bought on console simply to avoid installing the entire damn Library of Congress on my PC. I would hope that Steam would compress it, or the sheer size would keep me from touching this game.

However, I've never been a big Wolfenstein guy. I was content to simply watch the "Movie Format" version on Youtube. I will say that I'd have been disappointed had I played this at launch. From trailers, I was expecting more of a hub-based world. You really don't get to enjoy seeing this alternate reality version of France, as most of your time is spent in bunkers and whatnot. Still, I will likely buy it for the gameplay when the price goes down.

That's one reason why I think "Let's Plays" are alright. Watching story cannot relay the true sensation of actually playing. Did the video delay my purchase? Not really, something I really want, I'll get regardless. The only "Let's Plays" that keep me from buying are on those 50/50 games that I'd ultimately regret buying anyway...but I ramble...

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here