Spotify Hacked; One User Affected, Android App Fix Coming this Week

Spotify Hacked; One User Affected, Android App Fix Coming this Week

Spotify Android 310x

iOS and Windows Phone users seemingly unaffected by whatever security hole is present in the Android app.

Spotify is seemingly the latest company dealing with a security and data breach.

According to a post made on the streaming service's blog by CTO Oskar Stal, Spotify has "become aware of some unauthorized access to our systems and internal company data."

Stal goes on to say that only one Spotify user has been affected by this breach -- although their password and financial information was not compromised -- and that user was contacted prior to Spotify's post going up.

The breach, the details of which were not released, seems to be affecting mobile users on the Android platform only. iOS and Windows Phone users are not impacted yet, but Android users will be downloading an updated version of the Spotify app this week. This update will kill your offline playlists, so fellow Android users will be redownloading some tunes in the coming days.

If this breach expands to other platforms, we'll let you know, but iOS and WP users can breathe easy...for now.

Sony: Hundreds upon thousands of accounts compromised.
eBay: "We got hit; everyone change your passwords."
Target: Their credit card information gets tagged. Time to start worrying.
Spotify: "Yeah, one dude had his account affected, but it wasn't all that bad. We're on top of it, though."

...so how, exactly, is Spotify running circles around the big boys?

It is kinda BS to report this. It sure sucks to be that one dude but... it's... just one dude. :)

Also - "if this breach expands"?!? It was caught already, story over, go back to sleep. :) It's not a breach in space time continuum or anything, it doesn't magically expand. It's a computer system fault.

Micah Weil:
...so how, exactly, is Spotify running circles around the big boys?

Simple, by not being one of the big boys. The larger companies are rigid, unable to act quickly to anything or to change. Smaller guys like Spotify aren't, so when something like this happens they can act accordingly.

Wow, you know you've got shit luck when you're the ONLY spotify user to be affected by a breach. Still as the only user who got hit, spotify my do something for that person to make up for it. Since it's only one person.

kanetsb:
It is kinda BS to report this. It sure sucks to be that one dude but... it's... just one dude. :)

Also - "if this breach expands"?!? It was caught already, story over, go back to sleep. :) It's not a breach in space time continuum or anything, it doesn't magically expand. It's a computer system fault.

A company does something right for once and that is somehow not news? I welcome some positive news for a change. Especially since I am a spotify subscriber.

Well damn, Spotify. I cancelled my sub recently; I changed my credit card and couldn't be arsed to update my account. Looks like my laziness was not in vain.

If they let you save your downloaded lists to the SD card, I might be compelled to open up my wallet again.

There's a HUGE difference between actual hacking and what most people on the internet call 'hacking'. Someone having their account stolen because of a keylogger or phishing site is not hacking. When a big site actually gets hacked, that's a very big deal with countless different potential consequences. Even if it's just one guy that appears to have been compromised, there's no telling what else the hacker could have accessed. A single hacker could destroy a site and corrupt backups, not to mention access users' private information.

and this is how you do security. we got hacked, only one account got hit. too bad other companies do not learn and instead do what paypal did - they won a court case where the court decided that the hacker must pay to paypal whatever they spent on updating security because apperently its his fault paypal had no security prior to hacking (and the amount is in hundreds of millions).

iseko:

A company does something right for once and that is somehow not news? I welcome some positive news for a change. Especially since I am a spotify subscriber.

Hey, me too! :) Were you the one guy that got hacked? :)
Want some more cool stories about single hacks? A buddy of mine, lost his account in World of Warcraft to a bunch nasty hackers from China! Yeah... totally... And you know what, bliz reset his password and restored his items. Yeay! Amazing! Hold the presses! :)

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here