NASA, MIT Smash Lunar Broadband Record, Send Data to Moon at 20 Mbps

NASA, MIT Smash Lunar Broadband Record, Send Data to Moon at 20 Mbps

Earth view from Moon 310x

Team transmits data from the Earth to the moon at 19.44 Mbps, 4,800 times faster than the previous record.

A joint NASA-MIT research team has successfully transmitted data from the Earth to the Moon at a speed of 19.44 Mbps. An exponential leap over the previous speed record, the new uplink record is 4,800 times faster than the previous record. The team also reached a download speed of 622 Mbps.

The new system is RF-based, and the link was achieved via "four separate telescopes based at a ground terminal in New Mexico." The end hardware is a laser transmitter that sends coded pulses of infrared data to a receiver over 384,000 km away. Four telescopes are used to ensure a steady connection; between the distance separating the Earth and moon, and the variables presented by Earth's atmosphere, one of the four telescopes will typically maintain a connection.

The transmitted signal starts at 40 Watts, but it ends as a "billionth of a Watt" signal when it gets to the moon.

The tech could eventually be used to maintain data connections with Mars, allowing for larger data transfers, and perhaps even HD video transmissions.

The team will be doing a full presentation of its findings at the CLEO conference in San Jose next month, but The Optical Society has a nice rundown of the achievement.

Source: Wired UK

So now the MOON has a higher upstream than I have... I'm over there in my corner weeping softly...

In other news, Comcast has commemorated the achievement by releasing its new 'Astronaut' package, proudly subtitled; "Our Prices Are Astronomical!"

When asked whether the new package will possess the same, or higher, transfer speeds as NASA's uplink, the Comcast representative, to quote from the report, "Laughed maniacally before transforming into a cloud of bats and pickpocketing the reporters as it swarmed to the exit."

How about allowing me to use those 20 Mbps here... On Earth? I mean, is my country even farther than the moon for me to only be allowed to use 2 Mbps? :/

*Insert joke about my internet being worse than the data transmission rates to and from the moon here*

Good to know that when they send astronauts to the Moon again they'll be able to torrent the latest episode of Game of Thrones and have it be done by the time their moonwalk is over.

Not joking, if I were up there, I'd want me some netflix too.

Soon, the FCC will do away with Intergalactic Neutrality, and charge people on the moon higher prices for better bandwidth.

... i think thats faster than my internet connection

Why does the fucking Moon have a faster internet connection than most people here on Earth?

The ping will be horrible though ^^.

Kotoriii:
How about allowing me to use those 20 Mbps here... On Earth? I mean, is my country even farther than the moon for me to only be allowed to use 2 Mbps? :/

because we can't point a laser transmitter at your country, there is just too much earth in the way.

direkiller:
because we can't point a laser transmitter at your country, there is just too much earth in the way.

Satellites...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Satellite_Internet_access

If that gets boosted with a similar technology upgrade, we're looking at some pretty spectacular bandwidth(though latency still suffers).

Cerebrawl:

direkiller:

Satellites...

If that gets boosted with a similar technology upgrade, we're looking at some pretty spectacular bandwidth(though latency still suffers).

250 ping minimum
And you still have to lay down some ground wire to a central hub.
It's not exactly the cure all solution

direkiller:

Cerebrawl:

direkiller:

Satellites...

250 ping minimum

Highlighted the part where I note the high pings.

Still a better option than 2Mbps download speeds for big files, like digital game downloads.

Oh and sidenote: 1Gbps satellite is already a thing, a boost to that and you're talking spectacular download speeds, though you wouldn't want to online game on that latency connection. Still, if I ever get "fuck you money", I'm getting that for the yacht I'd be living on. :p

direkiller:

Cerebrawl:

direkiller:

Satellites...

250 ping minimum

Actually, they already offer satellite internet without any need for a cable connection to a central hub. Latency is obviously a problem, but other than gaming, it pretty much is a cure all solution for people in rural or otherwise unconnected areas.

Cerebrawl:

direkiller:

Cerebrawl:

Satellites...

250 ping minimum

Highlighted the part where I note the high pings.

Still a better option than 2Mbps download speeds for big files, like digital game downloads.

Oh and sidenote: 1Gbps satellite is already a thing, a boost to that and you're talking spectacular download speeds, though you wouldn't want to online game on that latency connection. Still, if I ever get "fuck you money", I'm getting that for the yacht I'd be living on. :p

yes I saw that, I was just stateing how high.
I think some Dish networks have that as an option in there packages, and yes it works well for downloads. Still it's not something I would want to have a skype call on.

Avaholic03:

direkiller:

Cerebrawl:

Satellites...

250 ping minimum

Actually, they already offer satellite internet without any need for a cable connection to a central hub. Latency is obviously a problem, but other than gaming, it pretty much is a cure all solution for people in rural or otherwise unconnected areas.

Not the same tec as we were talkign about
It's satlite internet yes but it's not able to reach the 15/20gbps speeds.

The moon has better internet that Australia does. Thanks Abbot!

VanQ:

Speak for yourself, I'm enjoying my 100Mbs thank you :-) (and have for years)

"Only 10 asteroids were irradiated in the process!"

Joking aside, I thought NASA went under? Or maybe they just stopped doing space missions. *shrug*

The moon has better Internet connectivity than Australia.

RicoADF:

VanQ:

Speak for yourself, I'm enjoying my 100Mbs thank you :-) (and have for years)

Excuse me sir or madam, where is your estate located in the glorious land down under so that I may raid it with my mob of pissed off internet deprived lackeys and burn it to the ground for the sin of having better internet than me? Of course, we will torrent a few things from your wi-fi first, then the burning shall commence.

Most Americans have slower broadband than the moon? That's Lunacy! I'm sitting on 60Mbps, so 3x faster than lunar speeds here. Who's idly browsing Twitter on the moon anyway?

Lil_Rimmy:

Excuse me sir or madam, where is your estate located in the glorious land down under so that I may raid it with my mob of pissed off internet deprived lackeys and burn it to the ground for the sin of having better internet than me? Of course, we will torrent a few things from your wi-fi first, then the burning shall commence.

Sydney here, your welcome to come around for some games rather than a bon fire :-P

My point was for him/her to say "The moon has better internet that Australia does" was the person claiming that everyone in Australia has shit internet, which I corrected them as being false. Parts of Australia does, just like most countries, unfortunately there's a huge amount of landmass with few people spread across it.

I do agree with the Abbott being an outdated old man who has no idea what he's doing and the NBN has to be completed properly though.

Wow a 600mbit downstream. The moons download speed is 10 times mine

michael87cn:
"Only 10 asteroids were irradiated in the process!"

Joking aside, I thought NASA went under? Or maybe they just stopped doing space missions. *shrug*

As far as I'm aware they just had a huge part of their budget slashed, they still do /some/ space stuff but it's very limited, beyond observational stuff. Space travel was deemed "a waste of resources". *cry*

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here