Bananaman Movie Coming 2015 - Really

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Bananaman Movie Coming 2015 - Really

bananaman

Teaser poster announces movie adaptation of classic UK comic-strip hero

DC Thomson and Elstree Studios have announced the production of a feature film based on the classic British comic-strip and cartoon hero Bananaman. Thus far only a sparse official website and the trending hashtag #PeelThePower have been revealed, along with a teaser poster.

Created in 1980 for humor magazine Nutty (later merged with The Dandy) by Dave Donaldson, Steve Bright and John Geering; Bananaman is a superhero whose origins and setup are most similar to Captain Marvel/Marvelman, in that the title character is secretly an ordinary schoolboy named Eric who becomes a super-powered costumed hero whenever he eats a banana. Occasionally, his powers and even physical form can differ based on the quantities or varieties of bananas he uses to trigger the transformation. He battles enemies who often parody existing comic book villains, such as Doctor Gloom, Skunk Woman and his own evil doppleganger Appleman.

The strip has run off and on in both The Dandy and Beano magazines continuing to this day, including a digital version. An animated series adaptation with voices by British comedy team The Goodies, launched in 1983, found success outside the UK in Australia, the U.S. and elsewhere. At this time, no further details on the film version (including whether it would be live-action or animated) have been made available, apart from a projected 2015 release date.

Source: ComicBookMovie

11/10 would watch again.

Really.

I'm amazed this kind of parody has given the film industry the slip for so long, the apeel should be obvious to any produceer. Though I can imagine the focus groups for this one were split.

I'll show myself out

So we may be hitting the peak of the super hero cultural return right now. Let's begin the slow descent into... whatever this is going to end up spawning.

Additionally,

You know, five years ago I would have just slow clapped and walked away, but with all the ultra serious hero adaptation movies it'd be fun to throw a lighthearted title in the mix. Even if dumb at least it's something. If done well it could be a new thing. Doubtful, but it's something different.

This was the first thing that sprang to mind:

Could we have a movie for that too?

Can't say I'm familiar with Bananaman, but I tend to enjoy parodies like this. Not sure how much mileage you can get out of it for a full length movie, though.

Oh yes! finally a ridiculous movie adaption I would actually watch.

Must... resist.... obvious... movie... sounds.... bananas... pun...

Well there is unexpected nostalgia bomb if I ever saw one. I remember the cartoon but was unaware that Bananaman had any presence outside the uk or to anyone born after the mid nineties.

You know, I sometimes recognise local companies on The Escapist when it comes to gaming companies, but I never thought I'd see DC Thomson's name pop up here.

On the subject itself, Bananaman could be fun.

Will the movie star Ray Comfort?

Neverhoodian:
This was the first thing that sprang to mind:

Could we have a movie for that too?

Can't say I'm familiar with Bananaman, but I tend to enjoy parodies like this. Not sure how much mileage you can get out of it for a full length movie, though.

For me, the first thought was of Mr. Bananagrabber, a work of fiction within fiction, invented just for a joke in Arrested Development.

Otherwise, hell, a movie was made about Battleship for crying out loud. That opened the floodgates to any idea that could (barely) be recorded onto paper.

I was more a Beano Boy growing up, so I don't know jack about Banana Man other than he was some ponce who dressed as a Banana and was Adam West Batman. That said, i'm interested.

Andy Shandy:
You know, I sometimes recognise local companies on The Escapist when it comes to gaming companies, but I never thought I'd see DC Thomson's name pop up here.

On the subject itself, Bananaman could be fun.

Same, I stay in Dundee and grew up reading the Dandy and Beano. This could be quite good if done right.

The White Hunter:
(Snip).

Well, he's no Justice Beaver, but I await his arrival with bated breath. Surely it will be a day to remember!

the antithesis:
Will the movie star Ray Comfort?

Jumping Jiminy Christmas, I hope so.

OT: So that's why I keep seeing people walking around the city centre in banana costumes. Of course, it all makes sense now! 0.0

I'd never thought I'd see a Bananaman movie. I have to say I'm slightly excited about this. Early days yet, but I do hope that Tim, Graeme and Bill are going to be in it.

Whats the point, they will only use CGI bananas instead of real ones. lol. This could actually be a funny movie, guess it depends on director and the script. Maybe Edgar Wright should make this? lol

Bananaman? Now that's a name I haven't heard in a long time. Will david Goyer be writing it?

For those wondering:

And yes, if done right I would totally watch the hell outta this. It was a staple when growing up for most British folks of a certain age.

Ok I LOVED this as a kid.

Move over Marvel, this is the Superhero move we NEED

#PeelThePower

My god I remember Bananaman! I used to read those magazines all the time growing up.

I would absolutely go and see this film just for the nostalgia trip.

Oh my god, yes yes yes and more yes.

This and Guardians of the Galaxy are now the only 2 superhero movies i'm interested in seeing.

currently grinning like a loon.

Well, I guess I've got to see it, just in case I miss out on something amazing.

This has potential.

I refuse to believe this is real, and will continue to do so until I've seen the film. Even then, I doubt I'll believe I just watched it.

I mean, it's so... obscure. Don't get me wrong, I thought it was awesome when I was younger, but even then in a 'this is so ridiculous it's awesome' way.

Fuck it. I'll watch it because I literally have no expectations.

I just got reminded how much I freakin' love bananas.

considering we just had a Postman Pat movie come out over here, I've got no idea whatsoever of what to make of this. Apart from trying yo pick my jaw up off the floor.

As much as I'm excited for this, as I used to read the Beano and Dandy as a kid, I can't help looking back on those comics and just seeing a UKIP wet dream...
But yeah, excited in a non-hopeful way. If this isn't a hoax. Because to me, this makes little economic sense. Kinda.

Wasn't there a baddie in Bananaman called "Eddie the Gent"? I loved that guy

This indeed is a good day, this can only bring joy... unless they screw it up royaly but hey whatever let me dream for once that won't be the case.

Are you fucking kidding me? Does this mean we're going to also see a Danger Mouse screen adaptation? You can't have Bannanaman without Danger Mouse IMO, only because they were shown together in America on Nickelodeon when I was a kid.

Proof once again that "Bananas are good". I await the results of this experiment in...curious anticipation.

Nthing the ponderment as to whether there will be a Danger Mouse movie as well.

Adding ponderment whether there will be music BY the band Danger Mouse. (Yes...that's a real band name.)

Also wondering whether this is a sign that they are REALLY running out of ideas.

I think the most ridiculous part of this story is that Bananaman will be getting a movie before Wonder Woman will even be appearing in one.

The banana is peeled wrong.... Hrnnggg..... I irks me ever so slightly but that's what makes it all the more irritating.

It would take twenty strong men to stop me from seeing this film.

What I liked was that it had the same sort of goofy humour as 1960's Batman:
O'Reilly: There is trouble down the Garden Centre
Bananaman: I'm doing a crossword at the moment, give us a clue
O'Reilly: How about green and naughty
Banamaman: Too easy, they've got greenfly
O'Reilly: It's General Blight you idiot

But who is going to play General Blight?

Rellik San:
For those wondering:

Well, now I got to watch more of that before the movie comes out...

OT: Yeah... I already know it's going to be better than Pizza Man by a long shot...

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here