Nvidia's Dual-GPU Titan Z Video Card is Now Available for $2,999

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Nvidia's Dual-GPU Titan Z Video Card is Now Available for $2,999

Nvidia Titan Z 310x

Three grand gets you a triple-slot monster with 12 GB of video memory.

Got three thousand bucks to drop on a new graphics card? Neither do I! [cue audience laugh track]

Anywho, Nvidia's $3,000, dual-GPU graphics card, the GTX Titan Z, is now available.

What does three grand get you? The Titan Z has two Nvidia GK110 GPUs (the same chip found in the GTX 780 Ti, and the Titan Black) paired together on one board. These fully-enabled GK110's are paired with 12 GB of 7 GHz GDDR5 memory, and 12 power phases keep the juice flowing. 5,760 double-precision-capable CUDA cores means the Titan Z is just at home doing non-gaming computational tasks as it is powering your 4K display as you play games at 2160p.

With a 375 TDP, the Titan Z will draw power through a PCI Express slot, as well as two 8-pin power connectors.

While Nvidia packs an incredible amount of power into one air-cooled video card enclosure, there are a few oddities with the Titan Z. For starters, the Titan Z has -- along with dual DVI connectors and DisplayPort -- an HDMI connector. If the Titan Z is made with 4K gaming in mind, why bother to include an HDMI port? HDMI 1.4 doesn't support 4K resolutions at 60 Hz, but DisplayPort does. Nvidia should have ditched HDMI altogether, and included a second DisplayPort connector. Because what's better than one 4K display? Two 4K diaplays.

The other oddity is price-performance. The Titan Z is essentially two Titan Black GPUs fused together, but there's a considerable price premium for the space savings. Two Titan Black GPUs would run you $2,200-$2,400, so $3,000 is a bit of a premium. The Titan Z will be a more power efficient solution, without a doubt, but if efficiency doesn't concern you as much as horsepower, you should look into a Titan Black SLI setup instead.

Just another thing on the list of "things I'll never own". Still using a 9800GT from 2007 and have had little reason to swap out.

Wow Nvidia! I was just thinking that my GTX 465 was getting long in the tooth, thank goodness that you've released something that suits my needs. Since I haven't won the lottery and have no plans on robbing a bank, I'll be expecting my review model in the mail so that everyone on Youtube can see that they definitely need one : )

Also, 12GB of VRAM? The fuck?! This GPU has 50% more RAM in it than the PS4 has available for everything, and Watch Dogs is supposed to be pushing the envelope (if only because of poor optimization) by requiring 3GB for Ultra textures. Everything else about this card will become "obsolete" by the time its 12GB of VRAM is considered worthwhile.

DrunkOnEstus:
...I'll be expecting my review model in the mail so that everyone on Youtube can see that they definitely need one : )

Nvidia isn't sending out Titan Z review units, or at least that's what they've told the press (myself included). Sending out $3,000 cards to dozens and dozens of tech press would be crazy expensive for a decidedly niche card.

-Devin Connors

-Designed for 4k gaming
yep I'll never even consider one then. I play too many older games still that extreme resolution would wreck. baring the price as well, yeeeeaaahh......

I have a feeling Total Biscuit will buy two of these just because his income can probably take it.

With that said, this is as well something that I will never own.

Even now I'm thinking about the fact that I am willing to save and pay for a new graphic card almost the same amount that my whole PC cost when I bought it back in 2012 (1000Euro).

Devin Connors:

DrunkOnEstus:
...I'll be expecting my review model in the mail so that everyone on Youtube can see that they definitely need one : )

Nvidia isn't sending out Titan Z review units, or at least that's what they've told the press (myself included). Sending out $3,000 cards to dozens and dozens of tech press would be crazy expensive for a decidedly niche card.

-Devin Connors

Oh I was being facetious, I didn't believe that they would consider sending them out given how rare they're likely to be even at retail, never mind the price. I have to buy even the games I review so I definitely wasn't counting on it. Though a $3,000 video card would make up for that juuuust fine.

Well, I was thinking of upgrading my PC... and I will definitely NOT be buying this. I just plan to Sli a pair of 770s. My only interest in this news, is the chance older cards might start going down in price.

And it will still chug on Watch Dogs unoptimized game...

Charcharo:

Very much doubt it since my Titan SC (non black) deals it with it fine on ultra.

DarkhoIlow:
I have a feeling Total Biscuit will buy two of these just because his income can probably take it.

To be fair his Titan SLIs were given to him.

And my company's CAD department wants 10 of these as their over $2000 cheaper than the K40 with twice the amount of GPU resource with fully unlocked Double-precision floating-point math.

Maybe I can scrounge an old Tesla card.

This in quad SLi. A mere dream for mortals, but someone will achieve it.

KaZuYa:

Charcharo:

Very much doubt it since my Titan SC (non black) deals it with it fine on ultra.

Really?
TotalBiscuit has problems with Sli Titans...

I myself too have problems on a GTX 760, which even if weaker, is ENOUGH for Metro Last Light and Lost Alpha, games that are prettier/more advanced then Watch Dogs

With a price like that I can only see a small few going for it and in the end would only really be suitable for media work, even if you say it;s for gaming you'll be met with thousands if not a few million "you don't ened it" people.

That said I'm still happy with my 660ti pe model, though I won't be able to run this years or last years games on ultra until hopefully this years end when I build a new model (if I get enough money but probably unlikely).

Who is this for? Why would you make something that costs this much. I could buy seven and a half PS4s for that much, and they could do the same job because no games exist yet to take advantage of its power, and when they do there will probably be a cheaper solution. It's like a Ferrari, "Guess how much it cost, more than you could afford." Ok what do you do with it? "......look at it?"

Wow... that's quite a lot of money. I can still play my favorite games just fine with my overclocked 640 GT and my dual core CPU.

Heck, I'd still be using my old 9600 GT if it didn't kicked the bucket last year (RIP ol' pal).

That one card cost about 3 and a half times more than my entire rig...and that's sad. This card is so niche I honestly hope Nvidia doesn't hope to sell more than like 1,000 because this is way too expensive. And people wonder why I tend to go for AMD GPUs more. Sure they aren't as good as Nvidia's, but the price to performance ratio of them is quite nice.

I'm also looking for a new CPU and GPU for video rendering if anyone would like to help me search. :D
My GPU is an old Radeon 7770 HD card, and my CPU is an Intel i5 3.4 GHz CPU, don't remember the exact model off the top of my head. Main thing honestly would be help finding a better GPU than the one I have, since I just discovered the wonders of using the GPU acceleration for video rendering that my editing software has. (I've used CPU only for the last 2 years)

It's obviously not meant for gaming, you just don't need such a beast. For professional purposes, it may be a good buy.

DarkhoIlow:

well he kinda has that cancer thing going on plus games aren't advanced enough to push regular titans on their knees yet

Aikayai:

I'd be more afraid of it growing spider legs achieving sentience and enslaving all human race

William Dickbringer:

DarkhoIlow:

well he kinda has that cancer thing going on plus games aren't advanced enough to push regular titans on their knees yet

Aikayai:

I'd be more afraid of it growing spider legs achieving sentience and enslaving all human race

I'm aware of his situation, but once he gets through it..he will most likely buy at least one of it (I would if I were him, even though it's pretty much pointless to do so).

Azure Knight-Zeo:
Who is this for? Why would you make something that costs this much. I could buy seven and a half PS4s for that much, and they could do the same job because no games exist yet to take advantage of its power, and when they do there will probably be a cheaper solution. It's like a Ferrari, "Guess how much it cost, more than you could afford." Ok what do you do with it? "......look at it?"

Well for the people with the $$ it would be worth it.

Think about it this way..you buy this card and you don't need to upgrade your GPU for at least 10-15 years (is my estimate).

Can't wait to see what sort of "gameplay" trailers Ubisoft will make with these.

Devin Connors:
The Titan Z will be a more power efficient solution, without a doubt, but if efficiency doesn't concern you as much as horsepower, you should look into a Titan Black SLI setup instead.

One step ahead of ya.

DrunkOnEstus:

Also, 12GB of VRAM? The fuck?! This GPU has 50% more RAM in it than the PS4 has available for everything, and Watch Dogs is supposed to be pushing the envelope (if only because of poor optimization) by requiring 3GB for Ultra textures. Everything else about this card will become "obsolete" by the time its 12GB of VRAM is considered worthwhile.

It only has 6gigs, two separate cache of 6GB which combined equals 12GB but like putting two cards with 3GB of Vram each into your computer you still only have 3GB and not 6. I own two Titan Blacks which I use for CGI rendering and such. This card would be quite beneficial for doing such if it were not 600 dollars more than I spent. I will put a bigger hurting on my power bill but it is spread out over the long run. Still, I would not mind this card if I could afford it.

Azure Knight-Zeo:

Or you could use it for 3D rendering with better power efficiency and thermals. Over the 3-6 years you have this card the few hundred dollars you save by purchasing two Titan Blacks will no doubt be nomed by the extra 125 watts you put on your power bill by rendering overnight and such. People will argue that you would be better off getting a quadro card but the only one worth it would be the 5000 dollar Quadro K6000 with true 12GB of Vram but half the CUDA and thus half the processing power for 2 grand more.

Who has been saying its designed for 4K gaming? Its capable of it but as Nvidia made pretty clear at their presentation the Titan Z isn't really intended for gaming at all, its just capable of it. The Titan Z is primarily for Workstation use, hence the high price, power efficiency and its overbuilt build quality.

Its for people that need really high powered graphics processing for professional purposes, generally for those kind of uses its $3000 price tag doesn't really matter. So for people saying the price is ridiculous for gaming they are right but its not really for gaming anyway, unlike older (and more expensive) solutions like Nvidia Quadros etc its just better suited for gaming for someone that really wanted to use it that way.

EDIT;

Saulkar:
Or you could use it for 3D rendering with better power efficiency and thermals. Over the 3-6 years you have this card the few hundred dollars you save by purchasing two Titan Blacks will no doubt be nomed by the extra 125 watts you put on your power bill by rendering overnight and such. People will argue that you would be better off getting a quadro card but the only one worth it would be the 5000 dollar Quadro K6000 with true 12GB of Vram but half the CUDA and thus half the processing power for 2 grand more.

/Tips hat

Nice to see someone figure out what this card is actually for even without seeing the press event.

J Tyran:

/Tips hat

Nice to see someone figure out what this card is actually for even without seeing the press event.

Been at this game for 8 years, trying hard not to sound smug but I cannot help feel a little proud when I know I know what I am talking about when it often feels like everyone else has a better grasp on something than me. :)

I'l likely never own this, or even when i do it wont be that special anymore but still....

Saulkar:

Devin Connors:
The Titan Z will be a more power efficient solution, without a doubt, but if efficiency doesn't concern you as much as horsepower, you should look into a Titan Black SLI setup instead.

One step ahead of ya.

DrunkOnEstus:

It only has 6gigs, two separate cache of 6GB which combined equals 12GB but like putting two cards with 3GB of Vram each into your computer you still only have 3GB and not 6. I own two Titan Blacks which I use for CGI rendering and such. This card would be quite beneficial for doing such if it were not 600 dollars more than I spent. I will put a bigger hurting on my power bill but it is spread out over the long run. Still, I would not mind this card if I could afford it.

Azure Knight-Zeo:

Normally you'd be right (about the separate 6gb caches) but in this case I believe it does mean 12 gb! This is thanks to the new pascal architecture's unified memory. Unless I'm mistaken (and admittedly I could be), unified memory means the two 6gb titans inside the Titan Z are able to share the memory, along with your computer's ram.
Meaning, with non pascal dual cards if you have two cards with 6gb each you still only have 6gb. But with unified memory it all gets pooled together and you get 12gb instead.
I think this is why the Titan Z is more expensive than buying two separate Titans and I'm pretty excited (I do VFX/3d work too)

http://devblogs.nvidia.com/parallelforall/unified-memory-in-cuda-6/

Even if I did have the money to afford it I would skip it out of principle thanks to Nvidia's business practices, but at least they can pride themselves at being "better than Intel"

Am I just being paranoid, or could it be possible that Nvidia and AMD have some sort of agreement with devs to be REALLY lazy with their coding so that a game that should be able to run ultra on a 760 requires a 780 or above. And perhaps they get a kickback. Tinfoil hat engaged!

(I'm semi-serious)

emptied

I was going to write something but meh. There's no delete option apparently.

You guys are bashing this card rather hard considering it wasn't targeted at you. Can we calm down a bit, stop the poop-slinging, and consider for a moment that not every video card known to man is targeted at you? These cards are targeted towards game companies who want to do fancy displays in conventions. This card isn't worth it for you, but it is for the developers who do dual-monitor 4K displays with all settings maxed on the expo floor.

Jingle Fett:

Normally you'd be right (about the separate 6gb caches) but in this case I believe it does mean 12 gb! This is thanks to the new pascal architecture's unified memory. Unless I'm mistaken (and admittedly I could be), unified memory means the two 6gb titans inside the Titan Z are able to share the memory, along with your computer's ram.
Meaning, with non pascal dual cards if you have two cards with 6gb each you still only have 6gb. But with unified memory it all gets pooled together and you get 12gb instead.
I think this is why the Titan Z is more expensive than buying two separate Titans and I'm pretty excited (I do VFX/3d work too)

http://devblogs.nvidia.com/parallelforall/unified-memory-in-cuda-6/

I will admit that I did not understand all of what I read in that link but most of it came off as unifying the shared data and paths between the CPU and GPU RAM. Not the separate cache of ram on a single GPU, though still an interesting read.

Most of the sources I looked at state that the memory is split down the middle for each GPU.
http://hothardware.com/Reviews/NVIDIA-Outs-Pascal-GPU-Titan-Z-NV-Link-3D-Memory-Tegra-Updates-at-GTC/?page=2
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GeForce_700_Series
http://www.guru3d.com/news_story/geforce_titan_z_has_12gb_graphics_memory.html
http://www.game-debate.com/hardware/?gid=2105&graphics=GeForce%20GTX%20Titan%20Z

Would be foaming at the mouth and robbing grannies and their cats on the streets if this card turns out to have unified memory.

This will be more used for high-end rendering than gaming.

Wouldn't doubt if pixar bought a few of these.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here