Battlefield 4 Gets New Microtransactions

Battlefield 4 Gets New Microtransactions

BF4 walk

Don't have enough time to play Battlefield 4 for the unlocks? Now you can shell out $1-$3 for a random pack.

Anyone who has spent any time with EA's Battlefield 4 will know of "Battlepacks" - which can be best described as a random collection of unlocks awarded when players hit certain milestones (new levels, X amount of kills). Ever since their inception, players have been wondering how long it would be before EA decided to monetize them. Well now, that day has come. For the low, low price of $1, you can purchase a random pack of unlocks for your Battlefield 4 character.

"Bronze, Silver and Gold Battlepacks will be available for purchase at Origin.com, Battlelog.com, through the in-game store, at Xbox Live Marketplace and at the PlayStation Store. Pricing will be $1 for Bronze Battlepacks, $2 for Silver Battlepacks, and $3 for Gold Battlepacks."

Just for reference, the Bronze Battlepack contains just three items, with the silver and gold ones containing an additional item, with an additional chance to be an "advanced" (rare) item, such as a knife or a 100% XP boost.

Fortunately, it's impossible for players to get an unlock they already have (with the exceptions of the XP boosts), so you'll never have to worry about wasting money on the packs.

With Battlefield: Hardline seemingly creeping around the corner, and the expansion packs of Battlefield 4 Premium about to come to a close, it looks like EA is now preparing to milk its BF4 playerbase as dry as it can before the next game comes around. It's a pity, because Battlefield 4 is actually a really fun game, under all the bugs and performance issues.

If there was a "bug fix" microtransaction (pay $1 to fix 1 bug!), I'm sure that would be a more popular option for the majority of players...

Source: Battlefield Blog

Steven Bogos:

If there was a "bug fix" microtransaction (pay $1 to fix 1 bug!), I'm sure that would be a more popular option for the majority of players...

Don't give them ideas!!!

But yeah, well, nothing unexpected really. The only way this is going to stop, though, is by people stopping to buy that stuff.

Now let's wait and see if they try to pull that whole "giving gamers choice" bullshit Jim was talking about.

So they want people who have shelled out money for their buggy game to shell out more money for... grab-bags of random in-game stuff?

...BWAAAAAAHHH HA HA HA HA HA!

Oh, good God, EA! There's "Whoops, we didn't know this was evil", there's "Okay, so it's evil, but we've got to do what we've got to do", but this... this is just marinating in it.

It really has wrapped around to the point where I can't be outraged; I've just got to laugh at the sheer chutzpah.

Oh, I'm sure as hell not going to buy anything having to do with Battlefield 4, but from a safe distance away... Yeah, it's pretty funny.

so more illegal gambling with random packs? well done EA.

A knife is an advanced (rare) item? What?

And the worst is that people will buy this crap...

Damn we made a buggy unfinished game that didn't make us enough money, lets put micro-transactions to make up for profits lost due to our laziness!

Vegosiux:

Steven Bogos:

Don't give them ideas!!!

But yeah, well, nothing unexpected really. The only way this is going to stop, though, is by people stopping to buy that stuff.

The publishers already charged us for difficulty modes in Last Light for god's sake DO NOT GIVE THESE PEOPLE ANY MORE IDEAS!

Also I... Just... No... No I cannot handle this I'm going to go bash my head against the wall till either I'm so braindead I could pass off as an EA exec or... the wall gives in, whichever comes first.

I don't see any problem with this; if somebody wants to pay to skip progression that's their choice. I would never do it but I know some people who would gladly spend a few dollars to unlock some weapons. Nothing wrong with that.

As someone who plays a lot of Battlefield 4, this seems like a pretty stupid idea. For those who don't play the game, Battlepacks are awarded every few levels, and then every level past level 40 or so, as well as weapon specific Battlepacks unlocked for just using the gun. These Battlepacks contain random weapon attachments for random weapons, camouflage for both your soldier or your weapon, knives or experience boosters. Just through leveling up, I unlock about 1-3 gold Battlepacks a day, and these almost never hold anything useful, almost always a 1x red dot sight for some sniper rifle that I will never use, or just a flood of experience boosts to add onto my mountain of backed up experience boosts. It seems a tad weird to monetise something that can be obtained so easily.

When i had battlefield 4, those battle packs really didnt give me anything worthwhile. Some new paint for a weapon i dont use, some attatchment for a weapon i dont have...blah blah. Paying money for random hope is balls. But EA do really love their cash, cant expect anything else really.

Wow. Even more reasons not to touch Battlefield 4. This makes me worry A LOT for the upcoming Battlefront. It already looks like a reskinned Battlefield, imagine if they applied the Battlefield 4 business model with it.....

Well, at least it's not as bad as...

...but I still don't like it.

epicdwarf:
Wow. Even more reasons not to touch Battlefield 4. This makes me worry A LOT for the upcoming Battlefront. It already looks like a reskinned Battlefield, imagine if they applied the Battlefield 4 business model with it.....

What do you mean "if?" You mean "when." It's gonna happen. EA is not letting go of micro-transactions.

I've been suggesting that companies start charging for patches for quite a while now. Code maintenance doesn't generate any revenue for the company. And since people will pay for pre-order bullshit and day one DLC, they can sure as hell pay for bug fixes.

They haven't even fixed the bugs yet?! And they've brought in gambling-transactions! Jeez EA, you really are a 2nd hand car dealer. And some wonder why there are so many assumptions about EA.

Was I the only one who was a bit surprised when I realized that battlepacks weren't purchasable for $ at release?

Come on EA, step it up. You're not being nearly as bad as we expect you to be.

Don't know what you are moaning about the feedback on that thread is extremely positive, clearly gone down well! :)

Don't see why practically everyone in the thread is getting their panties in a bunch over this. Its good business and its unlikely you'll be playing any of their games anyway if you hate them as much as you do, and have actual integrity.

I'm really shocked how naive people can be when they call a company evil for wanting to make more money...come now.

Rozalia1:
Don't see why practically everyone in the thread is getting their panties in a bunch over this. Its good business and its unlikely you'll be playing any of their games anyway if you hate them as much as you do, and have actual integrity.

I'm really shocked how naive people can be when they call a company evil for wanting to make more money...come now.

Have you played Battlefield 4? Do you know what these boxes are? Do you see what kind of door this practice opens?

Disclaimer: I've never played BF4. I also dislike EA and it's business practice. Generally speaking, I also dislike micro transactions in practice, but I'm OK with the concept.

So, can someone explain to me, objectively, what's wrong with the employment of micro transactions in this manner? It seems to me that the game works fine without the micro transactions, and that these micro-transactions give players things they would get anyway if they would only play the game. It does not appear that the game was designed to pressure gamers into buying micro transactions by making grinding excessively long, as the game did without micro transactions for years.

A benefit I can see to the employment of micro transactions in this manner is enabling new comers to break into the rigidly enforced status quo without getting raped by players who have had years to mine experience and packs. It levels the playing field at the end of a game's life.

I don't believe it makes the game "pay to win" because most of the players have been with the game for a while, and already have all the things these micro transactions offer. Newcomers who are not buying the packs will have already been disadvantaged by the existing, fortified, player base.

Zac Jovanovic:

Rozalia1:

Have you played Battlefield 4? Do you know what these boxes are? Do you see what kind of door this practice opens?

Nope I haven't played but from what people are saying this batch of microtransactions are looked at as a pretty weak bunch (due to it not being pay to win). What doors does it open than pray tell? Is the slippery slope behind those doors?

Rozalia1:

Nope I haven't played but from what people are saying this batch of microtransactions are looked at as a pretty weak bunch (due to it not being pay to win). What doors does it open than pray tell? Is the slippery slope behind those doors?

Attachments for the guns. Like scopes, stocks, flashes/suppresors etc. Most guns are at a severe disadvantage without them and a good number of them are attainable only through these boxes. And to unlock them all even for a single gun takes a fuckton of time. The slippery slope behind this doors is what happens when they start designing the game around this microtransaction to boost it's sales, this is EA so that is pretty much a given isn't it.

*shrugs*
Gaming is a major market where people are only too happy to pay real money for "solutions" to artificial problems in the end product.

Really. It's just goddamn ridiculous that we're paying MORE MONEY to spend LESS TIME with something we already purchased and that such an occurrence is NORMAL AND COMMONPLACE NOW.

If the stupid masses want to continue supporting such a backwards system of exchange, then let them. But let it not be said that they weren't warned.

Zac Jovanovic:

Rozalia1:

Attachments for the guns. Like scopes, stocks, flashes/suppresors etc. Most guns are at a severe disadvantage without them and a good number of them are attainable only through these boxes. And to unlock them all even for a single gun takes a fuckton of time. The slippery slope behind this doors is what happens when they start designing the game around this microtransaction to boost it's sales, this is EA so that is pretty much a given isn't it.

I thought as much that was what you were going to go with. Such a thing is not assured, and secondly it still keeps everyone at the same level. To stay competitive in most games you need to invest serious amounts of hours into it, all that'll mean is a bit more, or a slightly lighter wallet.

At the end of the day why shouldn't if person B has the dosh, not be as competitive as person A who has a lot more spare time in regards to unlocks?

Rozalia1:

Zac Jovanovic:

Rozalia1:

I thought as much that was what you were going to go with. Such a thing is not assured, and secondly it still keeps everyone at the same level. To stay competitive in most games you need to invest serious amounts of hours into it, all that'll mean is a bit more, or a slightly lighter wallet.

At the end of the day why shouldn't if person B has the dosh, not be as competitive as person A who has a lot more spare time in regards to unlocks?

For once I agree here.
Though Person B is still going to get his ass handed to them by person A...

Hey DICE! Hows that official bug tracker going?

Join queue disabled on consoles
Platform(s): All consoles

Desynchronized game world where objects have different states for different players
Platform(s): All

Bug accounting for a large amount of crashes on X360
Platform(s): X360

Rubber banding issues for some players with solid Internet connections

Some instances of no hit effects and no damage to opponent in your sights

Damage received is sometimes delayed by a few frames

Sudden frame rate drops during certain in-game events

So you said that you wouldn't release any DLC before you fixed the bugs, yet 7 months on, there are still many many bugs, DLC has been released, and now microtransactions are being added?

Words cannot describe my disgust. So here's a gif.

Rozalia1:

The history of how these random drop microtransactions have crept into EA games is damning and frightening. Originally they began as a (much hated) method of buying items on EA's free2play version of Battlefield (yes, there is a free2play version of Battlefield, and that's a whole other heap of dung for another discussion) Suffice to say, the random drop that you must pay money for is one of the most reviled item gaining method in their F2P game.

Then a few years ago, with the success of the Modern Warfare franchise proving how profitable and desirable good FPS multiplayer was, EA started pushing multiplayer in all their games, including traditionally singleplayer only franchises like Mass Effect. This culminated in Mass Effect 3 where random drop items were added as the only way to access most content, including guns, upgrades, and characters (also most prominence was given to limited use items such as rockets and other ammo) The option to pay to unlock these random drops was there, but the main way of 'buying' them was to successfully complete games for in-game credits.

Now we see the next stage of this march of financial gluttony, random packs like Mass Effect, with the only means of purchasing being actual money.
We have progressed gradually from purchasing a full priced game and having access to all it's content, to having content that we bought artificially denied to us through grindy leveling up mechanics, and now these "randomised" packs are being sold for real money!

This is not the end of EA's designs for microtransactions in their games, and it's a scheme that has been 5+ years in the making.

I am offended and opposed to it because it will make its way into more games, and eventually a game that I really am looking forward to will be acquired by EA, have these crap practices injected throughout the content, and I will end up either missing out on the experience entirely, or paying for a game designed primarily to frustrate me into paying EA more money - not a game designed for fun and enjoyment.

It's already happened with the Bioware acquisition and the Old Republic's "frustrate to pay" model, and it may very well happen again with the imminent release of Battlefront 3, which I will have to miss if they do add any of this crap into. I just pray that Bethesda never get bought out by EA.

Captcha: slippery slope - That's it exactly.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here