Battlefield 3 Is Free For EA's On The House Program

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Battlefield 3 Is Free For EA's On The House Program

Battlefield 3 Art

For a limited time, you can snag the base version of Battlefield 3 to keep forever.

Well, EA seems to be taking with one hand and giving with the other today, announcing that Battlefield 3 is now completely free for everyone to download and add to their libraries as part of Origin's "On The House" program.

For a limited time, anyone with an Origin account can simply head over to the Battlefield 3 store page and add the game to their library, where it will stay forever. Players have until June 3 to add the game, after which it will go back to its regular price. The offer is only for the base version of the game, without any of the DLC packs included in the premium bundle.

EA kicked off the Origin On The House program with Dead Space at the beginning of March, and continued with Plants Vs. Zombies in May (which, is actually still free until tomorrow).

Unlike the other games, Battlefield 3 will only be free for a week, so you'll have to act fast!

BF3, though coming on three years old now, still holds up pretty well. In fact, some would say that it's a more polished and enjoyable experience than the more recent Battlefield 4, so its definitely worth picking up if you don't already have it.

Source: Origin

>needs origin

Still a rip-off.

The price is still to high for me to be willing to put origin on my system.

Anyone know how well the community is holding up? I'm in the mood for some battlefield but don't want to buy 4 so I'd really love it if I could just re-install 3 and get a few games in.

a game i enjoyed but unfortunately since the release of BF4, the netcode affected the game as well that it made it pretty unplayable. but maybe i can re install it again and see if things are maybe batter.

Wow, I didn't realise people hated origin that much. I only open it grudgingly, but still, free is free. Even steam doesn't do free on a permanent basis.

EDIT: Even steam doesn't do free on a permanent basis REGULARLY.

Trust the escapist to point out factual errors that are irrelevant to the point.

EDIT2: Please understand I am very much on Team Steam, I just make sure origin's given credit where it's due. For reference I have 3 games on origin, and as for steam....well....

My Steam Profile (from SteamDB)

[*]Games owned: 188
    [*]Games not played: 54 (29%)
    [*]Hours spent: 1,242.2h

EDIT3: Annnnnnnnnd I'm done responding to you guys, any further responses to this post will just be ignored.

Revolutionary:
Wow, I didn't realise people hated origin that much. I only open it grudgingly, but still, free is free. Even steam doesn't do free on a permanent basis.

Hmmmm, not very often, but it does. AFAIK last two free games were L4D2 6-7 months ago and Red Orchestra 2 (and access to Rising Storm as a rifleman) a month ago. With RO2 and RS being, IMHO, better games than any of the recent Battlefield games.

Aren't the BF3 servers going down this summer?

ok so i tried to register to origin and

Your password must be 8 - 16 characters, and include at least one lowercase letter, one uppercase letter, and a number.

FUCK YOU. i know how to do my passwords and i dont want your shitty systems meant to force idiots into securing thier passwords. i dont want lowercase letters in my password!

Strazdas:

Your password must be 8 - 16 characters, and include at least one lowercase letter, one uppercase letter, and a number.

FUCK YOU. i know how to do my passwords and i dont want your shitty systems meant to force idiots into securing thier passwords. i dont want lowercase letters in my password!

seriously??
i dont have any uppercase letters and i got in. but i guess back then (2010) it was not that strict with security. and i got origin for ME3 in 2011 and i could use my account from bioware.

Metalrocks:

Strazdas:

seriously??
i dont have any uppercase letters and i got in. but i guess back then (2010) it was not that strict with security. and i got origin for ME3 in 2011 and i could use my account from bioware.

probably new changes. i noticed this shit creep in a lot lately. its the reason i didnt change my World of Tanks password even for free gold, because i dont want to be put in your insecure password rules, and last thing i want is to broadcast to any possible hacker the small range of possible combinations my password needs to be in.
Also, if you dont comply to these rules anyone trying to brutweforce it wont even consider your possibility so yeah its actually even more secure in reality.
i guess i need to make a new password generation method that includes lowercase letters now, logic be damned.

I tried it to test out my graphics card's potential. Sent me to some battle log bullshit. Told me to download a plug in.

Plug in crashes, or installs. I can't tell because it goes away in a fraction of a second.

Battle log refuses to work at all.

Not a very good way to start the day, EA. Is a normal server browser not good enough for you?

And as a disclaimer, its the base game. They expect you to buy the expansions to a game that most likely will be shut down very soon.

Ultratwinkie:
I tried it to test out my graphics card's potential. Sent me to some battle log bullshit. Told me to download a plug in.

Plug in crashes, or installs. I can't tell because it goes away in a fraction of a second.

Battle log refuses to work at all.

Not a very good way to start the day, EA. Is a normal server browser not good enough for you?

And as a disclaimer, its the base game. They expect you to buy the expansions to a game that most likely will be shut down very soon.

"The offer is only for the base version of the game, without any of the DLC packs included in the premium bundle."

i bit the bait, i hate EA with my entire soul, but its hard to argue with free, plus technically im still not giving EA any money so i feel less guilty

NuclearKangaroo:
i bit the bait, i hate EA with my entire soul, but its hard to argue with free, plus technically im still not giving EA any money so i feel less guilty

I feel no guilt nabbing free stuff as long as it won't destroy my PC

disclaimer (for legal purposes): I don't pirate stuff

Teh_Moose:

NuclearKangaroo:

i mean guilt from having to use Origin and in general getting in touch anything EA related

i hate those bastards at EA, they are ruining this industry

NuclearKangaroo:

Teh_Moose:

NuclearKangaroo:

i mean guilt from having to use Origin and in general getting in touch anything EA related

oh, that guilt.

Revolutionary:

Trust the escapist to point out factual errors that are irrelevant to the point.

To be honest there have been already 3 free games on Steam, L4D2, Red Orchestra 2 and Arma: Cold War Assault.

Not really picking sides but its at the same pace as Origin.

josemlopes:

Revolutionary:

To be honest there have been already 3 free games on Steam, L4D2, Red Orchestra 2 and Arma: Cold War Assault.

Nope those games were over the course of over a year, whereas origin only started "on the house" recently, not a comparable rate at all. Please don't make me defend origin, I don't want to but I'll do it dammit.

Nice one, I expected something much less meaty, like Peggle.

Now the game itself is a piece of shit, but you can't argue with free stuff.

Revolutionary:

josemlopes:

Revolutionary:

Nope those games were over the course of over a year, whereas origin only started "on the house" recently, not a comparable rate at all. Please don't make me defend origin, I don't want to but I'll do it dammit.

Well to be fair, L4D2 and RO2 are still frequently played games and the latest in their series, whereas BF3 is one iteration old (I don't know about it's multiplayer so i can't say anything there) with half the maps and guns locked behind premium. and with AAAs shutting down their old servers at increasing rates, I doubt BF3 will survive the release of the next iteration.
NOTE: I don't count Arma because it was the publishers who decided to release it free.

To me it just seems like a last grab at revenue (via premium) from an older iteration before the servers are shut down in two years.

Also, if you install and register with Origin, just once, they'll make money from selling your information. There's that too.

Revolutionary:

josemlopes:

Revolutionary:

Left 4 Dead 2 was 6 months ago and Dead Space was 3. There are some cool things about Origin but when you want to defend it you might want to check your facts instead of interpreting 6 months as "over a year ago" and 3 months as "recently".

EDIT: Actually it was 5 months and not 6 (25/12/2013), so its even more recently then what I thought.

Teh_Moose:

Any application that installs with admin rights has the potential to bugger your system. Hell, I've got an old AMD system in the garage that was completely fucked by SecuROM from EA's Spore game back in 2008.

NuclearKangaroo:

Indeed they are. And now they can add your name to the list of Origin users for their next shareholders' meeting. Congratulations.

MinionJoe:

Teh_Moose:

Any application that installs with admin rights has the potential to bugger your system. Hell, I've got an old AMD system in the garage that was completely fucked by SecuROM from EA's Spore game back in 2008.

NuclearKangaroo:

Indeed they are. And now they can add your name to the list of Origin users for their next shareholders' meeting. Congratulations.

atleast the number wont mean much since i dont plan on buying any EA game in the foreseeable future

NuclearKangaroo:

atleast the number wont mean much since i dont plan on buying any EA game in the foreseeable future

Doesn't really matter. EA cooks the numbers in order to make themselves look better for stockholders.

When Spore released, they posted all kinds of numbers about accounts created (which included Creature Creator accounts and 5 users allowed per game) and creatures created (including every auto-saved creation after every step of "evolution").

They stopped posting numbers after I "uncooked" their data and showed that the average user was only creating a handful of items before leaving the game forever.

Strazdas:

Metalrocks:

Strazdas:

seriously??

probably new changes. i noticed this shit creep in a lot lately. its the reason i didnt change my World of Tanks password even for free gold, because i dont want to be put in your insecure password rules, and last thing i want is to broadcast to any possible hacker the small range of possible combinations my password needs to be in.
Also, if you dont comply to these rules anyone trying to brutweforce it wont even consider your possibility so yeah its actually even more secure in reality.
i guess i need to make a new password generation method that includes lowercase letters now, logic be damned.

yeah, its annoying. just had a little fight logging in to the forum for guild wars 2. even i have an account there, my old password wasnt accepted anymore. had to change it with also an uppercase letter and numbers.
with origin (and steam) i can understand why they request more secure pass codes. since people do enter credit card details on their account.

origin is really not bad. i personally had no issues with it. in fact, i at times prefer it a bit more than steam. already alone for the download speed. with steam it downloads between 600 to 800kbs. wile origin is over 800kbs, up to 2mbs.

this is just kinda annoying i PAID for this crap, installled fucking Orgiin for ONE game, only to have them talk about BF4 coming out. So i was really like fuck this game and ive not played it in ages.

The desperate attempt to drag at least some people to their redundant Origin-platform. They know that the barrier for using it gets lower, once one has installed and used it once.
I still won't get it, I'm not starved for games and could have BF3 for Origin anyway, since I still have that key from the Humble Bundle lying around unredeemed.

Xyebane:

Not on the PC version they're not.

It's BF1942, 2 and 2142 that die in three days time with Gamespy, which I am still genuinely upset about.

BF3 as it happens is excellent and more populated than BF4 on PC, but really needs the DLC (since that's clearly the angle EA are taking here).

Well thanks for the free game EA but Origin won't download it. It goes for 2 minutes and then stops and tells me to check my internet connection. No, you check your connection, Origin.

The thought of installing Steam on my machine has never crossed my mind is what this reminds me. No hate involved as I only have steam myself due to me having a secondary user of my machine.
As for the game I've already received it free through +.

Revolutionary:

EDIT2: Please understand I am very much on Team Steam, I just make sure origin's given credit where it's due. For reference I have 3 games on origin, and as for steam....well....

My Steam Profile (from SteamDB)

[*]Games owned: 188
    [*]Games not played: 54 (29%)
    [*]Hours spent: 1,242.2h

Why is all that necessary? Like wow, are you scared of posters on here or something? I know we got some pretty big marks for steam on here, but there is no need to post all that "steam cred" in defence of a simple comment you made.

fix-the-spade:

Xyebane:

Not on the PC version they're not.

It's BF1942, 2 and 2142 that die in three days time with Gamespy, which I am still genuinely upset about.

BF3 as it happens is excellent and more populated than BF4 on PC, but really needs the DLC (since that's clearly the angle EA are taking here).

They do not die. At least not on PC.
You just wont play GameSpy servers. Big deal. Who played those anyway.

MinionJoe:

NuclearKangaroo:

Doesn't really matter. EA cooks the numbers in order to make themselves look better for stockholders.

When Spore released, they posted all kinds of numbers about accounts created (which included Creature Creator accounts and 5 users allowed per game) and creatures created (including every auto-saved creation after every step of "evolution").

They stopped posting numbers after I "uncooked" their data and showed that the average user was only creating a handful of items before leaving the game forever.

dude i already feel pretty bad about biting this bait, dont make it worse

kajinking:
Anyone know how well the community is holding up? I'm in the mood for some battlefield but don't want to buy 4 so I'd really love it if I could just re-install 3 and get a few games in.

It's completely dead. Back when EA did a humble bundle, I installed it on the first day. The highest worldwide population I saw was about 1000, with only two 64 player servers being remotely close to full. Try it out, see how it is, especially with it being free, but don't expect much.

Strazdas:

Metalrocks:

Strazdas:

seriously??

I just use a regular sentence.

Something like "This is my 1st password for Origin" should do the trick, but I agree, any enforcing of limits on a password just make it easier to bruteforce a difficult password.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here