See Bankrupt THQ's Head Office, Or What's Left Of It

See Bankrupt THQ's Head Office, Or What's Left Of It

New tenants have moved in, and guess what they found?

When THQ went under it sold off its intellectual properties at auction but, as is often the case after a disaster, some wreckage remained. New tenants have moved into THQ's old HQ, and discovered the last few remnants: awards, posters, old games, and a Blood Raven statue, slightly broken. Wondering what a publisher looks like after it implodes? See here.

The images were taken by a Redditor, Soulessgingr, a huge Darksiders fan who happens to work for the new tenants. "They left a lot of other random hardware too," he says, everything from monitors and routers to old dev kits. Nothing's been done with it yet, he reports, and there's no chance of returning it since there's no THQ to contact. Apparently the building owner paid THQ for the stuff that was left behind; Soulessgingr claimed a couple Darksiders 2 posters as quickly as he could, but he's not sure what's going to happen to the rest.

So that's that for THQ's HQ. A few memories and some tchatkas, and soon those will be cleared out. Good luck to the new tenants, and thanks to Soulessgingr for letting the rest of us get a glimpse of what was.

Source: Reddit

I believe there was talk awhile back of a "gamer museum", this is exactly the kind of stuff that should go into that (well, maybe not the monitors but like the displays and posters).

Man trippy seeing all that stuff that was left behind and really kinda ironic since I literally just started playing Red Faction Guerrilla and instantly recognized it on the wall.

Those last two posters (Stick of Truth and Saints Row 3: Enter the Dominatrix) really stand out, it's like going into the ruins of a Nazi bunker or something and finding all the old propaganda posters still up.

"Don't give up yet, we'll make these games and then everything will be all better. We can win!"

Nobody thought to take the awards? Wow, if I had worked hard on one of those games and it won something, I would have wanted to keep it. The giant statue might be hard to transport and store, but the posters would be easy to take.

Where on Terra did THQ get a Space Marine statue? Who makes those things?

...not saying I want one, of course <_< >_> <_<

I second the idea of donating the stuff to a museum, or alternatively auction it of for charity (Desert Bus?)

Id say the Blood Raven statue and the display wall are definite museum material.

talker:

Thats nothing. While marketing Dawn of War, Relic went and did up an old APC to look like a Rhino.

I tried to find the video, but all i got off of youtube were videos of rhinos mating.

So... we can't take this stuff?

>_>

<_<

Who does it belong to anyway?

AdmiralCheez:
Nobody thought to take the awards? Wow, if I had worked hard on one of those games and it won something, I would have wanted to keep it. The giant statue might be hard to transport and store, but the posters would be easy to take.

Yes this is a sad picture. Can someone identify those? I mean there are awards and there are AWARDS, but still it is very odd.

That picture with the awards on the shelf tugs at my heart for some reason. Why didn't anyone think of taking them? Are they too low-key for the devs to find any worth in them?

AdmiralCheez:

Well, given that one of those left behind was from Nickelodeon they either didn't get any good awards or someone has them safe somewhere but left the duds to gather dust and be forgotten to the mists of time (but apparently not the internet).

Ldude893:
That picture with the awards on the shelf tugs at my heart for some reason. Why didn't anyone think of taking them? Are they too low-key for the devs to find any worth in them?

Did any "devs" actually work at THQ? I thought they were just a publisher. Maybe that's the reason, then; the awards were given to THQ, not the developers, so the developers didn't realize there were any trophies to claim. I hope they find their way into the headquarters of whoever actually developed those games; as far as I'm aware, most of them are still around somewhere.

JEEZUS. The dude has the pick of the litter of all that stuff left behind and he goes for Darksiders poster?! Swipe the Space Marine statue you idiot! SWIPE IT AND RUN! You could at least make something of hauling it to conventions.

The wall of the game boxes, looks like it has every game that's sitting in the $5 bin at Walmart, going unsold.

gigastar:
Id say the Blood Raven statue and the display wall are definite museum material.

talker:

Thats nothing. While marketing Dawn of War, Relic went and did up an old APC to look like a Rhino.

I tried to find the video, but all i got off of youtube were videos of rhinos mating.

Found it for ya https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6PEU_201IfI#t=12

Although, Rhinos mating sounds pretty good as well...

Even though I wasn't a THQ fan, this makes me sad, it's like seeing all the pride they used to hold about their games left behind, forgotten, like if it was a part of a past that they needed to leave behind as a result of something as simple (well, "simple" ) as economic issues...

Makes me sad and angry that cool publishers like this just go down while the super crappy ones like EA are still standing.

Ill takevthat spacevmar7je statue

I don't care if I had to carry it home and store it in my garage, I would have been out the door with that Space Marine statue the moment I laid eyes on it.

Day one of moving into that new office space, I would put that Space Marine in my office as well as the awards

-M

Holy balls, why the hell did nobody take the Space Marine statue with them?! I would have forked out the money to have it moved to my domicile in a heartbeat if I worked there.

There's something poignant about the way it's looking at that broken off chainsword, like it's reminiscing about the glory days of the past that are gone forever...

talker:

GW.

If you go to their HQ in Nottingham, they've got a couple of big statues - Chaos Warriors, Space Marines, etc. dotted around the place. The bar also sells "Bugmans beer".

If I weren't currently avoiding all GW products because of all the evil, I'd contemplate another trip down there... Me and a few mates used to make the drive down a few times a year.

One thing sticks in my mind whist dealing with THQ and one of there studios relic.

I picked up company of heroes and the first xpac second hand, the seller said it should work but he must have registered one of the keys as the xpac worked (it was standalone) but not the main game. I contacted support just in case as i did not think it would go anywhere however i got an email back that said if i send a photo of the receipt form the amazon marketplace and the box with the cd key they would see what they could do. To my amazement they unlocked the key for me so i could play.

This is why i have loads of time for THQ and relic as they (at least at one point) cared about the customers.

Sad to see you go THQ, lets hope all that memorabilia goes to a good home, i can look after the space marine if you like.

PirateRose:
The wall of the game boxes, looks like it has every game that's sitting in the $5 bin at Walmart, going unsold.

I think that was the thing that teared me up the most inside... especially when they're were clearly some empty space where some of those other THQ games could have been displayed...

OT: Hmmmm... "Desert Bus" the games and maybe the posters... and place that Space Marine in a glob damn museum!

and on the pedestal these words appear:
"I am Ozymandias, King of kings. Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair."
Nothing beside remains. round the decay of that colossal wreck, boundless and bare
the lone and level sands stretch far away.

...nothing more depressing than a time capsule of what once was. :(

balladbird:
...nothing more depressing than a time capsule of what once was. :(

What are you talking about? Now we get to start this ride all over!

Also, if my boss let me, I would have taken every single thing left behind. Good stuff.

Somebody there has to grab the Blood Raven. It would be a crime not to put it on display.

I like to think the sculptor of the Blood Ravens statue knew that THQ would go under, knew the statue would fall into disrepair and as such designed it so the marine was looking at his chainsword on the ground with a look on his mask that says "By the Emperor! I've dropped my chainsword!"

But yeah, museum or charity auction seems like a legit call. I'd totally bid on the statue and put it just inside my front door, attach a motion sensor and speaker to it, and have it say "He who stands with me shall be my brother" every time someone walked past.

PirateRose:

If you look closely, there are some blank spaces showing some sort of double sided tape.

THQ produced some complete shovelware but there were gems that someone obviously saved.

AdmiralCheez:

I think no one took the awards because they aren't delegated to one specific person. I feel it would very quickly become an argument of who deserves it more. Remember though that the tenants already bought all this stuff along with the building. And as someone suggested earlier it's quite possible that these are heading off to a the gaming museum.

EDIT: As for the posters, why bother taking it? They made them, and I'm fairly certain they have the original files sitting on their computers. They can print themselves a high quality poster of their stuff any old day.

wow thats a museum of gaming if i ever saw one. i hope it wont be trashed

This was obviously just the stash of "relics" that the Blood Raven had acquired.

I'm still kind of shocked that THQ went under at all. I mean, they made good games that achieved big sales. What was it that went wrong?

Personal or significant items like awards or milestones seem like a really odd thing to leave behind. Was there a time when THQ employees where simply locked out of the building during this melt-down? "The building owner decided to pay them for all of this stuff" sounds like it was a light-speed panic fire-sale.

It looks like they never managed to finish collecting their stuff...

THQ going under was a shock to me and many others. They weren't dicks. They made a few mistakes sure (Homefront being probably their biggest financial blunder) but they were always trying to do things that were a bit different from the monoliths that wear the skin of EA and Activision. I never thought they would simply crumble. I always thought EA or Activsion themselves were more likely to end up like this at some point if they were ever bought out and gutted by someone who didn't want the baggage that came with their brands.

The undignified cattle-market of their IPs made me feel really sorry for the developers who had worked to create it and for studios like 4A Games who got dropped into financial and development hell.
Does God just hate 4A games or something? They emerge from something that would have crushed most developers and made a great game in Last Light and then all they have to look forward to is the continued disintegration of their country and the infrastructure that makes development possible (some of the interviews describe having to sneak dev kits past corrupt customs officials). It's little wonder they are partly moving country.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here