German Nursing Homes Turn to 3D-Printed Food for Easy Eating

German Nursing Homes Turn to 3D-Printed Food for Easy Eating

Biozoon Foodjet 3D Printed Food 310x

Fresh ingredients are given the baby food treatment, then 3D printed into adult meals.

3D printing is [dramatic pause] the future, and it seems like a new, possibly revolutionary 3D printer project is popping up every week now -- for better or for worse.

Even the old folks home racket is getting in on the 3D printing craze, as facilities in Germany are now serving 3D-printed food to some of their guests.

Biozoon is the company behind Smoothfood, a new food preparation process that takes normal, fresh ingredients, breaks them down into baby food-like mush (combined with a texturizer formula), then has a Foodjet 3D printer recreate more attractive meals.

The process has elderly patients who have trouble chewing and swallowing in mind, whether they suffer from dysphagia, or are recovering stroke or cancer patients. The recreated food looks like a meal you'd make for yourself or buy in a restaurant, but it's texture and construction is considerably softer than the normal equivalent. And because the meals are made from actual food, the nutrition and taste aren't lost in translation.

Source: Munchies

These guys should partner with Soylent. :)

Urgs. I really have to jump in front of a train before I get that old.

The texture of food is just as important as the way it tastes. Living off soft, gooey mush sounds horrible.

Also, that green lump doesn't look very taste. Looks like a turd, doesn't it?

I'm not 100% on what the green thing is supposed to resemble, but I guess this is a good thing in general. I remember having to give my grandparents a hand with cutting up DQ burgers, and they were in solid health body and mind. Getting old just means some things are harder, and this could help without being as ego damaging as baby food.

I will note for the record that spam, deviled ham, and most other forms of canned meat product are completely chewable for the elderly, but not everyone hast the appropriate consitution. Which is a damn shame, because spam really is easily form-able into 'fun shapes', like stars, cows, or military K rations.

Computer: tea, Earl Grey, hot.

Almost there guys, almost there!

I'd like to see this idea follow through to the cake world too; be ace to have some truly amazing looking cakes created via 3DS Max!

Definitely a ways to go before it "looks like a meal you'd make for yourself or buy in a restaurant".

I'm curious what the difference in attraction is between gunge and printed gunge.

So between this and that "turning light into matter" experiment, how close are we to getting Star Trek's replicators?

Exterminas:

The texture of food is just as important as the way it tastes. Living off soft, gooey mush sounds horrible.

yupp exactly, there are quite a few different foods that I can't stand based on texture (or the difference in texture if it has hard skin/gooey inside or some other combination that makes my mouth want to spit it out immediately)

This is very cool and I could consider it for some things, but ehhh...I'll stay all natural.

Exterminas:

You won't be so picky if you end up 90 years old with no teeth and barely any jaw strength AND swallowing problems. For the elderly or just lazy this is a rather good path to head.

jabrwock:
These guys should partner with Soylent. :)

Will drink soylent for all my meal before I even touch that 3D printed food, less wasteful and I am too cynical for the illusion of eating real food to be of any worth to me, but I am the kind of person who don't understand why meat shaped vegan product even exist, if I want to eat tofu, I go buy freaking brick of tofu (often do as it even cheaper then ground beef, while having much longer storage time in the fridge then meat) not a one shaped and colored like a steak, for if I want a steak I go buy a steak.

So, the meat-thing looks kind of tasty, like the insides of a chicken nugget (and considering what those are it's not even that far off after the mushing-up) and the green thing looks like it might be a parfait made of peas or something. I sincerely doubt this stuff tastes particularly good, but considering it's supposed to replace mushed-up food and turn it into something more appealing to the eyes and other senses, I welcome this. I'm curious whether the mushing and printing really doesn't cause the nutrients to suffer, though. Depends on how it's prepared, I suppose, but I'm a bit skeptical of that.

it's seemingly weird but it is aimed at senors not people of my age group and from what I have seen with my grandmother it seems like a novel and possibly good idea...

If this is intended for use in nursing homes it's very likely not intended for people whose train of thought is "I recognize that I can't safely eat normal food anymore, so I might as well accept that and have my food pureed.", although I guess making any food look more appetizing can't hurt them, either. Dementia is a big issue, and people suffering from it have a much harder time adapting to change or accepting their limitations (especially if their condition has worsened lately).
In this context that might mean someone who was able to eat normal meals until fairly recently might refuse to eat the mush he now has to be given but might be more willing to eat printed mush because he doesn't perceive it as such. Someone who doesn't want his food to be cut into pieces for him but can't do it himself would feel more in control if he was served something that looks like everyone else's meal but that he can pull apart (and eat) using only a fork.

Having worked with people with severe dementia, I can tell you that this looks a lot more appetizing than the gunk they were served some times. My only concern is wether the food is still nutritious after being puréed and reheated in the printer. Some vitamins are destroyed after being cooked, like B12.

I just really, really hope that regenerative medicines advances quickly enough to cure old age, or at the very least give the elderly back both their health and independence.

mechalynx:
Having worked with people with severe dementia, I can tell you that this looks a lot more appetizing than the gunk they were served some times. My only concern is wether the food is still nutritious after being puréed and reheated in the printer. Some vitamins are destroyed after being cooked, like B12.

They say the food doesn't lose any nutrition. I'm guessing most of it is still there and if necessary they add vitamin supplements.

OT: Personally I think it's a great idea, as long as the food actually works (and taste) like food.

Sounds like an awfully convenient way to get them to eat their medicine if you'd ask me, just have the printer mix it in.

Don't worry old-timers, we're not adding anything to your food, only stuff that's good for you. ;)

Wait a minute guys, we've made replicas right?

Exterminas:

looks like a kiwi to me, and considering its nursing homes its likely soft and mushy is what majority need to begin with.

and as long as it tastes good it can look whatever way it wants for me.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here