Studio Ghibli's Works Re-Imagined as 16-Bit Pixel Art

Studio Ghibli's Works Re-Imagined as 16-Bit Pixel Art

From Nausicaa to The Wind Rises, digital artist Richard Evans has produced pixel masterpieces of Ghibli's most famous fare.

Here at The Escapist, we have a soft-spot for the whimsical fairy-tale worlds of Studio Ghibli's anime masterpieces. So, you can imagine our glee when we saw this amazing gallery of Ghibli's movies (more specifically, those of legendary animator Hayao Miyazaki) re-imagined in the most video-gamey way possible: 16-bit pixel art.

Behold, the stunning work of Birmingham-based digital artist Richard Evans. Bonus points if you can identify which movie each scene is from:

As Ghibli movies tend to have very soft, rounded characters, and pixel art is about as jagged as you can get, the fact that Evans has managed to combine the two and still have them feel faithful to the source is a pretty impressive feat.

Is anyone else getting a LucasArts Monkey Island-style vibe from these? I would play the crap out of an old-school point-and-click Spirited Away adventure game.

Source: Richard Evans via Rocket News 24

I could've sworn this was an article a few weeks ago...

NLS:

What are you talking about? There was one like this before but as you can see, the other is 8-bit! Don't you see a difference?

Aerosteam:

NLS:

What are you talking about? There was one like this before but as you can see, the other is 8-bit! Don't you see a difference?

Well I heard the human eye can't see past 8-bit anyway, so that might explain why.

I also like how the tagline for the cited website is "Bringing you yesterday's news from Japan and Asia, today.". More like "Bringing you last months news from Japan and Asia, today."

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here