New Stargate Movie Trilogy Coming From Original Creators

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

New Stargate Movie Trilogy Coming From Original Creators

stargate

Roland Emmerich and Dean Devlin will revive their original sci-fi franchise for theaters

Almost two decades after having parted ways creatively, action director Roland Emmerich and writer/producer Dean Devlin will re-team to revive Stargate, a science-fiction franchise that helped launch them both to Hollywood fame in 1994.

A surprise hit in its day, Stargate involved the discovery of an ancient Egyptian relic that opens a portal through time and space. This allowing a team of soldiers and scientists - James Spader and Kurt Russell - to travel to another galaxy where they encounter the alien beings that long ago presented themselves to humanity as the gods of Egypt. Emmerich is expected to return as director of the new film.

The proposed new trilogy is being called a "reboot," but it is thus far unclear whether it will be an entirely new story based on the same premise or a continuation of the original film's story. It is not expected to tie-in with or make reference to the television series Stargate SG-1 or its myriad spin-offs, which Devlin and Emmerich have long been vocal about wanting no association with as they were produced without their input. The duo is also still prepping a sequel to their other 90s hit, Independence Day.

Source: Deadline

Won't be the same without either Kurt Russel or Richard Dean Anderson. It's why I never cared much for Atlantis.

But If they manage to keep the deliciously campy B-atmosphere I'm slightly interested. Stargate, in the end, should be fun. Though in the end, I'm just disappointed that they're rebooting another thing. I'd rather see more original content.

So basically the only reason people even remember the forgettable, not particularly good movie or why it would have any audience at all is the very thing it's trying to distance itself from.

Great.

Unless this ends up getting the series back on the air to continue the only story people actually care about (which was only canned because of a whole controversy with Sy Fy and wrestling which saw the one show they had on the air placed in a timeslot to intentionally cancel it despite the promised 3 seasons ending up being only 2), there's nothing to look forward to. No one gave a shit about the movie, the only reason the name is remembered is because of SG-1. Distance yourself from that too much, it stops being Stargate.

Even while entertaining the thought of it being set in its own universe, without the sci-fi references, self-awareness, humour and genre savvyness that made the series, it just won't be Stargate. And Emmerich is not known for going any of those things well, or wanting to.

Zontar:
So basically the only reason people even remember the forgettable, not particularly good movie or why it would have any audience at all is the very thing it's trying to distance itself from.

Great.

Unless this ends up getting the series back on the air to continue the only story people actually care about (which was only canned because of a whole controversy with Sy Fy and wrestling which saw the one show they had on the air placed in a timeslot to intentionally cancel it despite the promised 3 seasons ending up being only 2), there's nothing to look forward to. No one gave a shit about the movie, the only reason the name is remembered is because of SG-1. Distance yourself from that too much, it stops being Stargate.

Even while entertaining the thought of it being set in its own universe, without the sci-fi references, self-awareness, humour and genre savvyness that made the series, it just won't be Stargate. And Emmerich is not known for going any of those things well, or wanting to.

Pretty much spot on. Screw these guys. The movie is ok, but I am sorry, Stargate is SG-1 and the rest of the universe. Devlin and Emmerich are hacks(seriously go back and watch their movies). Very disappointing news.

Sooo, are they gonna reenact the start of the franchise with younger edgier versions of the main cast?
I'd pay to see that just for the delicious irony.

"From the creator of Independence Day, Godzilla (1998), The Day After Tomorrow, 10000BC, 2012 and White House Down."

Yeah, no, I think I'll pass.

Oh yeah, I love the original film. Call me a hipster but I watched Stargate before the TV series so it still stands as the great beginning for me. Looking forward to this.

Yeah....no.

Ignoring ....how many years of tv shows and movies to reboot?
Ugh.

I mean really what is the point of rebooting if you have so many other things to use in the universe.

Piorn:
Sooo, are they gonna reenact the start of the franchise with younger edgier versions of the main cast?

No, they do it with puppets. (btw, that's a reference to episode 200 of SG-1, non referencing the movie's jokes)

So, it won't have anything to do with SG-1 or Atlantis, the two GOOD things the original movie caused to happen and instead go only with the movie itself (the only thing of the franchise that, while okay, is still the 2nd weakest thing for A LONG SHOT?)

Goliath100:

Piorn:

No, they do it with puppets. (btw, that's a reference to episode 200 of SG-1, non referencing the movie's jokes)

That entire episode was just gold.
Too few shows manage that kind of humour really. Come to think of it, there hasn't been a good sci-fi show that's not totally depressing for years, I think.

Holy shit.

I can't decide if I'm excited or disturbed.

My silver lining for this news: "Hey, at least JJ Abrams and Michael Bay are too busy ruining other franchises to screw up this one."

It's not much, but it helps.

Are these the same two who sent an archeologist to do an astronomer's job?

Um, no. I'd rather see a (not a TV nor direct-to-DVD) movie produced by Jonathan Glassner and Brad Wright. Sure, it might be campy and not take itself too seriously, but hell, the better sci-fi movies take that route anyways.

So what does that say about the tv series as that carried on directly from the movie. I dont know, could be good with better effects etc but i wonder if they will reboot the tv series as well?

MovieBob:
The proposed new trilogy is being called a "reboot," but it is thus far unclear whether it will be an entirely new story based on the same premise or a continuation of the original film's story. It is not expected to tie-in with or make reference to the television series Stargate SG-1 or its myriad spin-offs, which Devlin and Emmerich have long been vocal about wanting no association with as they were produced without their input. The duo is also still prepping a sequel to their other 90s hit, Independence Day.

Last year when Roland Emmerich expressed his disgust for the apparent abomination that was SG-1 (he REALLY hates that show), he also specified that his planned movies would tie directly into the original. While it's not on paper, there is direct word-of-mouth from the director.

Edguy:
"From the creator of Independence Day, Godzilla (1998), The Day After Tomorrow, 10000BC, 2012 and White House Down."

Yeah, no, I think I'll pass.

Well when you put it like that they really do sound shit haha.

OP:
I liked the stargate movie and I LOVE SG1 (seen every ep at least 3 times) and to a lesser extent Atlantis, own it all on DVD. Even though they want distance from SG1 I would still watch this. I don't know why they want distance because SG1 is one of the most popular sci-fi shows ever ?!?! That whole universe they built was great except for that whole SGU thing . . . Jesus I hate that and that Robert Carlyle and his little rat face. Actually every character in that was unlikeable especially that stupid guy who reminds me of a nice guy Jonah Hill.

Sorry rant over.

They do realize that the only reason anyone even remembers their rather forgettable movie is because of the TV series, right?

Also why does yet another thing have to be bloody rebooted?

So the creators of the rather mediocre movie are going to try and reboot a franchise that they had nothing to do with for the 2 decades in which it was relevant?

Yeah, this wont go wrong...

Cowabungaa:
Though in the end, I'm just disappointed that they're rebooting another thing. I'd rather see more original content.

I'd like to see more Stargate, just not particularly this version. Then again, I struggle to think of how they could make it worse than SGU.

Zontar:

Great.

Not only that, but I bet it takes shots at the TV series.

CardinalPiggles:
Oh yeah, I love the original film. Call me a hipster but I watched Stargate before the TV series so it still stands as the great beginning for me. Looking forward to this.

The film is the reason I skipped out on the show in its first 2...Maybe 3 seasons. I missed a lot of episodes with both this and Buffy the Vampire Slayer in their original run because they were tied with those movies.

TiberiusEsuriens:

Last year when Roland Emmerich expressed his disgust for the apparent abomination that was SG-1 (he REALLY hates that show), he also specified that his planned movies would tie directly into the original. While it's not on paper, there is direct word-of-mouth from the director.

Yeah, he's said this a few times now. He seems to hate the show more than Bob hates the Amazing Spider-Man movies. I doubt strongly we'll see anything from the show.

Even though, as everyone points out, this is the only reason (enough) people care enough about the brand to merit a reboot.

canadamus_prime:

Because ponies. Also, because a half-ass third series didn't do so hot because it was boring and tried to be something other than Stargate, so there's clearly nothing more we can do with the franchise except REBOOT.

Seriously, even without the Goa'uld as a primary threat, the Stargate was one of those things that could lead to endless adventure, and they're too creatively bankrupt to come up with anything. At least, that's my guess.

As a side note, I loved the SG-1 RPG by AEG, partially because the setting is already a fertile one.

The movie was OK, SG-1 was about 8 seasons of awesome, which is far above the median. If they're gonna throw that away, I really don't care.

Independence Day doesn't need a sequel either. I really don't get the whole "unnecessary sequel of movie from late 90s/early 2000s" going on lately. I mean the stories had a good arc culminating in a satisfying ending. You don't need to go either making that ending irrelevant, misleading, or at the very least, not final.

Me: They're making a new Stargate movie.
Husband: Yaay!
Me: They explicitly said it's going to be nothing like the shows but just like the old movie.
Husband: Oh. Well, that saves us a trip to the cinema.

Cowabungaa:
Though in the end, I'm just disappointed that they're rebooting another thing. I'd rather see more original content.

A BIG advantage here though is that, like Star Trek, there's still a ton of room for new stories. Everyone was hoping SGU would break the mold and be about something else in the universe other than the good ole' US of A, but instead it just rehashed old territory and did poorly as a result. I like to pretend that the new movies will generate another TV series that won't suck. (key word pretend)

canadamus_prime:

I don't know how picky this is, but everyone (news story included) is referring to these movies as a straight up reboot.

Roland Emmerich, the '94 movie creator, considers the upcoming movies as canon sequels, continuing directly from where he left off.

If you're a fan of Brad Wright's SG-1 ('97-'07) then it would be considered a pseudo reboot. Same source material, but all of SG-1, SGA, and SGU will be considered in the same manner as the Star Wars Expanded Universe (now called Legacy). Its still canon, just alternate universe canon.

Zachary Amaranth:
Even though, as everyone points out, this is the only reason (enough) people care enough about the brand to merit a reboot.

That makes me laugh a ton, because unlike Star Wars where long time fans will begrudgingly accept the EU sidelining in favor of more big movies, The core Stargate audience will most likely watch the new movies just to scoff at them, and then go right back to watching all 15 seasons of the show. (I pretend SGU doesn't count >.<)

[quote="tmande2nd" post="7.851359.21043601"]Yeah....no.

Ignoring ....how many years of tv shows and movies to reboot?
Ugh.

I mean really what is the point of rebooting if you have so many other things to use in the universe.[/quote

This, i remember they planned to do something with Atlantis after it ended like how they did the post sg1 movies.

I dunno, Im somewhat optimistic. I really liked the original movie (watched it tonight in fact) and the TV series. I'm sad that he really hated the series though, because a reboot or continuation directly from the original movie with sly nods or easter eggs to the series would have been pretty awesome.

Some reason I'm picturing the movie going pretty much something like Anubis invasion or something if it's a continuation or trilogy, after all there were three major pyramids at Giza, so unless Ra had 3 ships (the selfish jerk), mayhap he wasn't the only "Egyptian god" still floating around like the original movie claimed. That's the only reason why I could see it being a trilogy. Open gate, meet ra, kill ra, go back to earth, osiris comes to earth with one or two others, queue michael bay level of pyrotechnics, rar 'merica saves the day.

But the original movie was awful compared to the TV show...

I liked the original movie, but it was completely outdone by the series - both SG1 and Atlantis (Universe doesn't count), so I don't have any particularly great hopes for the new trilogy.

spartandude:

This, i remember they planned to do something with Atlantis after it ended like how they did the post sg1 movies.

They were planning on making a movie similar to the sg1 movies to wrap everything up rather than just leaving everything unresolved in the final episode. I don't know what happened to that though, but since Atlantis was cancelled (It was the scyfy channels highest viewed show at the time) to make way for the abomination that was Universe I imagine it has something to do with the failure of its successor.

Hopefully these new films will convince someone to carry on with Atlantis where they left off and give them a few more series - they were still pulling healthy audiences and making money when they were cancelled, so hopefully someone less stupid than ScyFy will see the benefit.

No. Just no. HELL NO! Absolutely, positively, without a doubt FUCK NO!

The movie was "so-so" at best, but instead it was the TV series that was the cult hit. A great interweaving of lore, mythology, and sci-fi. The final movies and final ties to the series are finished.

SG:U was a bust (too much drama parallel to Battlestar Galactica).

SG:A was sadly abandoned (running same seasons as SG:U, and some of the SG:1? Who's stupid idea was that?!)

SG:1 finished. It was already slipping away when McGuyver was replaced with FarScape cast.

To reboot the series/movie....is just wrong. They'll only hurt it, not help it (see Spiderman movies, see Batman movies, see...anything that's been rebooted or remade, or made with a childhood idea from the 1990's in the past decade).

Atlantis was good. It had an episode where Bill Nye played an arrogant, bumbling scientist jerk reminiscent of Wernstrom.

Soviet Heavy:
Atlantis was good. It had an episode where Bill Nye played an arrogant, bumbling scientist jerk reminiscent of Wernstrom.

Wasn't Neil Degrasse Tyson also in that episode? Man, that was a great episode for nerds, so many jokes, so many references. So many things we won't be seeing in the reboot trilogy because apparently comedy and lightheartedness is bad, even if it is 90% of the IP's appeal.

Soviet Heavy:

I don't think I saw that one, I'll have to look it up.

OT:

Honestly, all this news story has made me realize is how little I cared about the movie and how much I enjoyed the series. And not just because MacGyver is awesome, and aged surprisingly well.

I suppose the movie was interesting, like the ideas had a pulse and the tone more or less fit, but it was that mid nineties sort of dull where they kept the depressing bits of 80's war movies but cut out the ultraviolence. Apparently it did very well overall (so sayeth wikipedia), but nobody I know has thought about or cared about it since.

Cool, looking forward to it. I fail to see what the problem is.
The two dudes who created the movie originally didn't agree with the route the TV show went in, and now they get a chance to finish showing us their vision. fair enough, I'm not entirely sure the route they would have taken it in so lets see how they do it with the films them, after all even if it is shit, the TV shows and the original film aren't going anywhere now are they? (by the way the answer your looking for is no)

Also the idea that the film is forgettable is amusing to me, so forgettable they decided to make a spin off TV show. Yup, makes perfect sense. Cynical sods.

Deathfish15:
(see Spiderman movies, see Batman movies, see...anything that's been rebooted or remade, or made with a childhood idea from the 1990's in the past decade).

YOu know, it's kind of bad from you to list a GOOD reboot (with Batman as the Dark Knight Saga was a Reboot of the Batman Movies, more or less).
And a Reboot isn't always bad, you know? Next to the mentioned Dark Knight movies, I could also, for example, point at the new XCOM. Or how about the TMNT Series (NOT the upcoming movie). That got two reboots, which were/are considered good for the most part (03-series had some issues near the end - but it's not like the original cartoon was perfect all the time)

But in this case, yes, a reboot would be bad. Of everything, at least. Saying "let's do a minor Reboot of it and make movies set before Universe and maybe scrap the last few Episodes of Atlantis, too to get that series to a better closure..." But nope, they go with "sequel to the original movie most people consider inferior to the series" which is going to be pretty bad no matter what.

Zontar:

Soviet Heavy:

Wasn't Neil Degrasse Tyson also in that episode? Man, that was a great episode for nerds, so many jokes, so many references. So many things we won't be seeing in the reboot trilogy because apparently comedy and lightheartedness is bad, even if it is 90% of the IP's appeal.

Yep. And they were both playing themselves. Or maybe funny versions of themselves.

El Luck:
Cool, looking forward to it. I fail to see what the problem is.
The two dudes who created the movie originally didn't agree with the route the TV show went in, and now they get a chance to finish showing us their vision. fair enough, I'm not entirely sure the route they would have taken it in so lets see how they do it with the films them, after all even if it is shit, the TV shows and the original film aren't going anywhere now are they? (by the way the answer your looking for is no)

The problem is - the original movie wasn't that good. It was a good watch, but it was hardly outstanding. The series, on the other hand, was. And now the movie-makers seem to reboot the whole thing apparently only because they didn't like the series and are jealous of it's success.

I don't get the hate on here for SGU. It wasn't as good as SG1, but like a lot of scifi shows (including SG1 and Atlantis) it took a while to find it's feet.

Like most people it seems, I liked the original film but agree that it's not a patch on the TV shows it inspired. Unless I hear trusted sources say differently, I'm going to assume this reboot will be "okay" at best.

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here