Velociraptor-Inspired Robot Runs 46 km/h on Two Legs

Velociraptor-Inspired Robot Runs 46 km/h on Two Legs

The VelociBot 1000 can run faster than Usain Bolt.

A South Korean research team has developed a two-legged robot that can reach speeds up of to 46 km per hour (or about 28.5 mph). The robot's inspiration?

The Velociraptor.

The team at the Korea Advanced Institute of Science and Technology (KAIST) now has a bipedal machine, simply called "Raptor," that mimics the dinosaur's tail for stability, and uses carbon/epoxy composite legs for durability. The feet are reminiscent of running/walking blades used by amputees.

The Raptor is also one of the most simple running robots ever designed, with only one motor per leg, and an Achilles tendon system used to recover energy during motion.

The KAIST Raptor is nearly as fast as DARPA's four-legged Cheetah robot, which can run at speeds up to 47 km/h. both are faster than the fastest (known) human, Usain Bolt, who has topped out at 43.92 km/h.

Source: IEEE Spectrum

Weep, children. The Robot age dawns.

Anyone else think when it reach 46 KMP it sounded like a angry typewriter?
Also this means my dream of mechanical raptors is one step closer!

Yeah, I was watching the video as they were upping the speeds and was like, "Wow, that robot runs pretty fast!" Then they jump cut to max speed and I was afraid for my life. The robots are coming to get us, and they'll have no problem outrunning us.

This will do us wonders when the machines try to take over. Why not fit it with claws, or maybe some poison darts.

Doomsdaylee:

Too bad it still needs stabilisers, I shall fear it like I fear the ED-209.

Heh, immediately thought of Clive Palmer when I saw that.

SourMilk:

Doomsdaylee:

Until the robots, of course, attach blades at the ends of the stabilizers.

Then all they'll have to do is catch up.

I'll take a pair of those legs, thanks.

I can be some kind of high-speed cyborg satyr.

Can it make a turn? If not then all we have to do is make a right and skynet will never catch us

That's cool. But, can it open doors?
Velociraptor: 1
Velocibot: 0

Wow, that is incredible.

JediMB:
I'll take a pair of those legs, thanks.

I can be some kind of high-speed cyborg satyr.

Was thinking the same thing, hope the extra weight from an Upper body doesn't throw it off balance :p

Well, we're screwed. Robo raptors is how humanity dies.

Did anybody else just hear Randall Munroe scream in terror just now, or was that my imagination?

Also, how long until they develop cybernetic musculature that can power these sort of devices through contractions, just like real muscles?

I wonder how well it would stand if it was off the stabilizing boom. Probably not well.

I like how that researcher on the right is already wincing because he fully expects it to fall down and break catastrophically.

All hail our new robotic overlords!

I never thought I'd see the day something actual ran the way some anime/ninja characters sometimes do.

They still need to give it those wicked claws though. And the ability to pounce on their prey, their human prey.

RatRace123:

Pretty badass way to go out though.

hawk533:
Yeah, I was watching the video as they were upping the speeds and was like, "Wow, that robot runs pretty fast!" Then they jump cut to max speed and I was afraid for my life. The robots are coming to get us, and they'll have no problem outrunning us.

There is indeed something very scary about watching those robot legs sprint at that speed. I get visions of a future in which humanity is obsolete and doesn't stand a chance against physically and intellectually superior, merciless robots.

Valderis:
I never thought I'd see the day something actual ran the way some anime/ninja characters sometimes do.

They still need to give it those wicked claws though. And the ability to pounce on their prey, their human prey.

RatRace123:

Pretty badass way to go out though.

Damn straight. That was fantastic! I want five! :D

Its attached to a boom. How can you really tell the speed? The boom could hold it in place as the treadmill speeds up.

i want an army of robot raptors for when i take over the world... i mean.. i would want a army of robot raptors IF i was going to take over...

Raziel:
Its attached to a boom. How can you really tell the speed? The boom could hold it in place as the treadmill speeds up.

It doesn't actually hold it in place, it only prevents it from falling over. This test looks like it was just meant to assess the leg design and not test an entire independent robot. If the legs weren't actually running at 46 Km/h the robot would fumble and its legs would get dragged by the treadmill.

Kind of cool but not nearly as cool as the click-bait article title suggests. It more than likely will not be able to run nearly as fast independently and with any sort of chassis.

Wheeled "robots" can already go three times faster, without the assistance of a tether. Legged robots might be pop sci bait, but they're nowhere near as good as what we already have.

Grumman:
Wheeled "robots" can already go three times faster, without the assistance of a tether. Legged robots might be pop sci bait, but they're nowhere near as good as what we already have.

legged robots can climb stairs

Tiamat666:

hawk533:

There is indeed something very scary about watching those robot legs sprint at that speed. I get visions of a future in which humanity is obsolete and doesn't stand a chance against physically and intellectually superior, merciless robots.

I don't think "intellectually superior" applies here. Sure, they at the outset might be data superior, but honestly, that doesn't matter. Computers will only be as good as their input.

Now this obviously doesn't take into account advanced AI, self-awareness, and self-teaching. Once that happens, then yeah, we're screwed.

Risingblade:

Grumman:

legged robots can climb stairs

So can tracked robots. A staircase is just an incline with regular protrusions - if the robot's got the torque and it's physically large enough, stairs are no obstacle.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4UxPvNu5x5s

crazygameguy4ever:
i want an army of robot raptors for when i take over the world... i mean.. i would want a army of robot raptors IF i was going to take over...

Smooth. Very smooth, I w as getting ready to make almost this exact comment when I saw yours.

Drizzitdude:

crazygameguy4ever:

Smooth. Very smooth, I w as getting ready to make almost this exact comment when I saw yours.

You can always be my second in command with me as ruler on the world.. well.. If i was going to actually take over.. don't worry NSA, i'm not really going to.. with the state of the world as it is, who really wants to take it over? too much maintenance

crazygameguy4ever:

Drizzitdude:

crazygameguy4ever:

You can always be my second in command with me as ruler on the world.. well.. If i was going to actually take over.. don't worry NSA, i'm not really going to.. with the state of the world as it is, who really wants to take it over? too much maintenance

Definitely not people who thinks the world would look better with a lot more shiny marble and silver buildings, like why would anyone want that right? It's not like anyone actually likes roman and gothic architecture and wants to tear down entire cities to redesign the world in that image right? Those silly ideas like enforced centralized layouts and designs for cities? Pft, who needs it right? Lets go ahead and throw those apartments wherever we can fit them at whatever angle, crappy office buildings and run down cities and unmaintained roads are totally cool.

But I mean, those ideas that don't even mention the plethora of social and economic issues are just silly concepts for people who want to try to take over the world. Of which I am most definitely not part of....totally.

RA92:

SourMilk:

Doomsdaylee:

Until the robots, of course, attach blades at the ends of the stabilizers.

Then all they'll have to do is catch up.

I made a very inhuman sound just now.

It was already pretty impressive watching it run at only 15km, until the jump cut at 46km made me want to nope out of there.

I don't even care if it's going to kill us all. That thing is awesome.

If its wrong that I want a full sized mecha-raptor that I can ride around on at 46kmph then I don't wanna be right.

ok there were plenty of robot stories on the escapist but this is just amazing one. i so want these legs now.

Yay, one step closer to the Robolution!

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here