Japan's Space Agency to Sell Space-Suit Tech "Cooling Vests"

Japan's Space Agency to Sell Space-Suit Tech "Cooling Vests"

jaxa cooling vest

Need help fighting the summer heat? Pick up one of JAXA's "cooling vests" for just $590.

JAXA, Japan's Space Agency, has just announced the sale of a new "cooling vest" that uses space-suit technology to keep the wearer cool. The vests are composed of a network of tubing and a pump unit which circulates the coolant around the vest at a temperature of four degrees Celsius (39.2 degrees Fahrenheit). One liter (33.8 oz) of water can cool the vest for approximately 30 minutes. There's one way to beat the summer heat.

The vests can also absorb and evaporate sweat immediately. To top it off, they are 100% polyester and completely machine-washable. The cooling tech is the same stuff inside of JAXA astronaut's space-suits, to regulate their temperatures inside the air-tight suits.

Of course, this kind of space-age cooling wont come cheap, as each vest has a RRP of 60,000 yen (US$590), and there will be a very limited run of just 1,000 vests to be produced in 2014.

The vest's availability to regular non-astronaut types was born from a collaboration between JAXA and Teikoku Sen-I Co., Ltd., originally a manufacturer of linen and now of disaster-prevention products. They will be released under JAXA's own brand JAXA COSMODE, which affirms itself to be "a brand designed to introduce the features of space to our lives on the ground."

While its still pretty expensive and exclusive right now, here's hoping that in a few years everyone will be able to afford one of these babies, and sweating like a pig in the summer humidity will become a thing of the past.

Source: JAXA via Rocket News 24

Well, that's one way to combat the warmer aspects of climate change.

I can think of several thousand LARPers, fursuiters and cosplayers who will want one of these. I'm one of them

You know as long as I look I'm from the future I don't care how much it costs, I want one.

webkilla:
I can think of several thousand LARPers, fursuiters and cosplayers who will want one of these. I'm one of them

Putting on my entire armor takes about as much time as that Vest can cool... Sadly. Or can the water be replaced while wearing the suit?

Nikolaz72:
Or can the water be replaced while wearing the suit?

Probably the next improvement to the device would self-recycling, but the question would REALLY be "Can I get this to physically fit to make it possible in the first place?".

If that guy isn't secretly a superhero then I don't know what the world's come to.

It could be a really good thing to have, but only when they get rid of the tank and the neck. Then it would be AMAZING to wear under a suit.

Seems very impractical, first it's expensive, then it's only 30 mins......that's a very short time! you can't even walk around a park with that time. And last, it looks like a suicide vest, will be complicated going anywhere with it. Almost next to total uselessness.

Nikolaz72:

webkilla:

Putting on my entire armor takes about as much time as that Vest can cool... Sadly. Or can the water be replaced while wearing the suit?

Well - the water bottle and pump appears to be external... so I can't see why shoulnd't be able to swap the water when needed.

Japan: Making our future look all the more cooler

That said, 30 Minutes is too short. Whilst that maybe enough time for me to walk from my house to Collage, for $590 I'd like something last a little longer then half an hour.

Grabehn:
It could be a really good thing to have, but only when they get rid of the tank and the neck. Then it would be AMAZING to wear under a suit.

That tank IS the cooling system, without it it's just a vest with a tube through it. Though i wonder if the time can be extended with a heat dispenser, like the cooler in a car or water-cooling in a PC. Actually, the tubes are probably an available standard, only the battery is a concern.

ExtraDebit:
Seems very impractical, first it's expensive, then it's only 30 mins......that's a very short time! you can't even walk around a park with that time. And last, it looks like a suicide vest, will be complicated going anywhere with it. Almost next to total uselessness.

And it looks like you're peeing into that bag....

But it's a cool idea nonetheless. Wherr's my homerocket?

These are nothing new, they been out for years for along the same price-line. I know Time Warner Cable has many of them for use for Technicians in the hotter climates.

K.ur:
That tank IS the cooling system, without it it's just a vest with a tube through it. Though i wonder if the time can be extended with a heat dispenser, like the cooler in a car or water-cooling in a PC. Actually, the tubes are probably an available standard, only the battery is a concern.

I think you missed the point of my comment though, I KNOW the tank is the cooling system, but it would be a really great thing to have when the advance in technology allowed them to make it just the vest with an inner system.

I'm not asking for just the vest without the cooling system, that would be stupid and pointless.

This would be great for my boyfriend (who thinks it's hot when it gets to 70 Fahrenheit outside), except for the fact that it only cools for 30 minutes, is really expensive, and probably is too small for him.

Still, a good idea.

Shiftygiant:
Japan: Making our future look all the more cooler

That said, 30 Minutes is too short. Whilst that maybe enough time for me to walk from my house to Collage, for $590 I'd like something last a little longer then half an hour.

Was thinking that as well, it's useless for when one might really need it (like on hours-long walks and the like). Unless you can put more than 1 litre at a time. It's a good start, though.

Seeing as I work outside all day and am prone to exhaustion from the constant heat, I would love one of these... but as someone who has tried things like Frogg Togg towels, I am skeptical. This is designed to be worn underneath a space suit. It's also designed to be worn in space. I'm doubtful it would perform well underneath the direct rays of the sun. I think it would dry up and shrivel pretty fast. Maybe even feel constricting to the wearer. You probably need it to be very skin tight too, to provide the cooling, so if you're over weight like me, this could be very very uncomfortable, even restrict breathing. Hell, even just a tiny bit of chub would do that.

No, I don't think this will work for the common man. You need to be an astronaut, and you need to be in a space suit to receive the best benefit. You also need to be in perfect physical condition, with a constant supply of water to keep it 'fueled'. Nah. Won't work for most people.

Oh well.

Well, that and you would look silly wearing this. Me especially, with a safety vest over the top of it.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here