"Godzilla of Earths" Spotted 560 Light Years Away

"Godzilla of Earths" Spotted 560 Light Years Away

Mega-Earth is a new class of planet seemingly similar to Earth ... except that its mass is 17 times greater.

Here's your fact about planets for the day: The bigger they get, the less likely they'll be the rocky worlds one usually imagines. That's because at a certain mass, planets usually draw hydrogen into themselves and become a gas giant, which makes the newly identified Kepler-10c very intriguing. Discovered 560 light years away by the Kepler space telescope, 10c still has a hard outer surface like Earth's but is actually double the width. It doesn't sound like much, but that's because 10c's mass is actually 17 times greater than our own, compressing rock and prompting scientists to classify it as a "Mega-Earth" (or jokingly as the "Godzilla of Earths").

"It's 17 - in fact, it's more than 17 - Earth masses, and that brings the density to 7.5 grams per cubic centimetre, which is a lot more than what we know of rock here on Earth (5.5g/cm3)" said Professor Dimitar Sasselov from the Harvard-Smithsonian Center for Astrophysics.

Scientists actually already have a classification for Super-Earths, planets between 15 to 17 Earth masses. Super-Earths are still below the range where a gas giant would form, but Kepler-10c seemingly proves that rocks planets have room to grow. That means either the theory behind the creation of gas giants will need to change, or there's something special about Kepler-10c that makes it stand out.

Kepler-10c has scientists wondering if its surface is similar to our own world, which isn't clear yet. If true however, that doesn't mean that the planet's surface will look much like the Earth. "Remember, this is a very massive planet, which means those same minerals are highly compressed," Sasselov continued. "So, what you see in the density is mostly due to compression rather than different composition. The composition comes out as being a combination of rocks and some volatiles, probably 5-15% at most of water."

That being said, Kepler-10c's sun is only 11 billion years old, born from a time when stars didn't have the heavy elements needed to form planets. If planets can be formed earlier than expected, that means life could begin earlier as well, even on a Mega-Earth like Kepler-10c.

"Finding Kepler-10c tells us that rocky planets could form much earlier than we thought," Sasselov said. "And if you can make rocks, you can make life."

Source: BBC

And that life would be super dense. Were it to travel to our worlds, it would be phenomenally strong. Possibly ale to leap tall buildings in a single...Nah.

But seriously, this is pretty awesome.

That planets name is:

Heaven.

James Hoffer:
That planets name is:

Heaven.

Fhloston Paradise.

OT: Let's see... A world that is Godzilla-sized in comparison to our Earth, so roughly...it would probably be Great Gazuga's home planet. The whole world, dominated by gigantic DAMN DIRTY APES! Bwa ha ha ha haaa...

Not long after we discovered this planet, it was blown up by Lord Frieza due to his fear that a legendary Super Saiyan would rise from among the inhabitants and come to challenge him. However, he did not notice the single small space pod leaving the planet heading for Earth. Inside was a baby named Kakarot, but he would come to be known as Son Goku by the Earthlings.

Saltyk:
Not long after we discovered this planet, it was blown up by Lord Frieza due to his fear that a legendary Super Saiyan would rise from among the inhabitants and come to challenge him. However, he did not notice the single small space pod leaving the planet heading for Earth. Inside was a baby named Kakarot, but he would come to be known as Son Goku by the Earthlings.

For all we know it could have happened 500 years ago :P

RatherDull:

Saltyk:

For all we know it could have happened 500 years ago :P

Indeed.
It is a story older than time, after all. Tyrant destroys an entire planet. Boy escapes tyrant in a space ship and adopts a new world as his home. Then, kills said tyrant after ascending to the legendary status of his people.

Of course, then the tyrant comes back as a cyborg and is killed by a time traveling teenager.

Based on a True Story.

:slowclap:

Science is amazing, isn't it?

Thinking we know something.
Finding out we don't know the whole story.
Changing our thinking to fit the truth, instead of using lies and terror to hide the truth.

Zachary Amaranth:
And that life would be super dense. Were it to travel to our worlds, it would be phenomenally strong. Possibly ale to leap tall buildings in a single...Nah.

They'd also be really short and stocky. Superpowered Dwarfs!

Saltyk:

you know that does look like a spirit bomb in that picture...

*raises hands in air to give energy to it*

OT: This is pretty sweet, too bad we can't do anything about it right now :-(

gmaverick019:

Saltyk:

Actually it looks like Genki Dama. I don't what this Spirit bomb is, but if it's Planet Vegeta, we may have to worry as Lord Frieza than cell may appear later to attempt to kill Kakarotto.

Akisa:

gmaverick019:

Saltyk:

Actually it looks like Genki Dama. I don't what this Spirit bomb is, but if it's Planet Vegeta, we may have to worry as Lord Frieza than cell may appear later to attempt to kill Kakarotto.

*hoping that was just you poking fun at my post, here goes*

As much as I usually agree with the rule that the original is 800x better than the dub, I personally think this is the exception to that and the dub was actually better than the original for DB/DBZ/DBGT, so I'll continue to call it the spirit bomb :-P

*'merican accent engaged*

PLANET VEGETABLE CAN DIE IN A FIRE FOR ALL I CARE. ALL HAIL PLANET STEAK.

I think I read somewhere that there is a finite amount of gravity that carbon based life can form in otherwise the chemical and biological processes that occur to form single celled lifeforms would be impossible. It is for this reason that I am skeptical that any carbon based life could form there.

"Sasselov said. "And if you can make rocks, you can make life.""
Since the planet is experiencing 17 G's, that'd make some pretty strong Sayains living there!!!
So their powerlevel will almost certainly be over 9000...

In all seriousness, this doesn't sound too impressive or exciting. :\

Saltyk:

He would be raised in rural Kansas, and would later build up a career as a journalist in the city of Metropolis.

Zachary Amaranth:

Actually, the extreme difference in pressure from their gravity and our own would make it as highly unlikely that they'd be able to function in our environment than we'd be able to function in theirs. Have you ever seen the life expectancy of deep sea creatures at the surface level?

VanQ:

Actually, the extreme difference in pressure from their gravity and our own would make it as highly unlikely that they'd be able to function in our environment than we'd be able to function in theirs. Have you ever seen the life expectancy of deep sea creatures at the surface level?

You realise I was taking the original premise of Superman and having fun with it, right?

Soviet Heavy:

Would they have heat vision? Because a dwarf with heat vision would be badass.

Zachary Amaranth:

VanQ:

You realise I was taking the original premise of Superman and having fun with it, right?

Soviet Heavy:

Would they have heat vision? Because a dwarf with heat vision would be badass.

I wasn't aware that Superman got his powers from Krypton being a gigantic planet. I thought it was from our yellow sun. Must be mistaken.

VanQ:

I wasn't aware that Superman got his powers from Krypton being a gigantic planet. I thought it was from our yellow sun. Must be mistaken.

The source of Superman's powers has changed subtly over the course of his history. It was originally stated that Superman's abilities derived from his Kryptonian heritage, which made him eons more evolved than humans.[81] This was soon amended, with the source for the powers now based upon the establishment of Krypton's gravity as having been stronger than that of the Earth. This situation mirrors that of Edgar Rice Burroughs' John Carter. As Superman's powers increased, the implication that all Kryptonians had possessed the same abilities became problematic for writers, making it doubtful that a race of such beings could have been wiped out by something as trifling as an exploding planet. In part to counter this, the Superman writers established that Kryptonians, whose native star Rao had been red, possessed superpowers only under the light of a yellow sun.[116]

While "original" premise may have been slightly off, it's an early accounting and last I knew still played a part in the character's powers.

Still, the brief quote of the "leap tall buildings in a single bound" line might have been a hint as to the nature of the origin of my statement.

A stronger hint would have been a follow up that began with the line "but seriously."

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here