Star Wars Episode VII Leaked Set Pictures Show New Creature, Tatooine?

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Star Wars Episode VII Leaked Set Pictures Show New Creature, Tatooine?

The leaked Star Wars Episode VII show a very Tatooine-style desert.

Star Wars Episode VII began filming last month, and in this day and age, it was only a matter of time before someone leaked some photos from the set. TMZ has acquired a series of photos that show off a massive new creature and what looks very much like Tatooine, giving credit to earlier rumors that the movie would return to the desert planet.

Check out the full gallery below:

TMZ's sources report that the new giant alien thing was manned by 5 men inside its belly ... and was used in two scenes taking place in what looks like a Tatooine marketplace. The fact that this is an actual physical thing that someone built gives credibility to reports that the producers intend to use a whole lot less CGI this time around.

Source: TMZ

Well this looks promising.
Less cgi green screen effects more props and practical effects.
This might actually get decent performances out of the actors.

Why are we going back to Tatoonie? Why can't we explore different planets why is it always the same planets.

Akisa:
Why are we going back to Tatoonie? Why can't we explore different planets why is it always the same planets.

This, this, a thousand times this. Whilst I am overall very optimistic about the new films (after the prequels, what the hell is the worst that could happen?), I can't help but taking it as a bad sign that the creative minds behind this really couldn't come up with something more impressive than 'Tatooine again!'

Ok. Now I'm beginning to get real excited for this. The whole real world, lived in look seems to be back in force (hehe) and I got a good A New Hope vibe from these pics alone. I'm going to try and avoid any new pics and spoilers from here on out. Yeah good luck with that.

Akisa:

Because Disney needs to show us familiar places in their take. Franchise changed hands and the timeline has changed(Expanded Universe is dead, welcome to Disney Universe), showing us familiar locations under the effects of those changes is the most logical thing to do.

Actually going to use animatronics rather than CGI? Colour me intrigued...

On the plus side: practical effects. A very good sign. Means you'll have to get creative and careful with what you do with filming. I still say the space battle in Return of the Jedi blows every single CGI fight in the prequels out of the water.

On the down side:

Akisa:

Pretty much that. Even if the Expanded Universe is dead (I, for one, will never accept that), there are still plenty of planets out there worth visiting. Kessel, Korriban (or whatever they call it in The Clone Wars), Kashyyyk--sorry, but the prequels screwed up by just showing us a freaking beach.

My guess as for why we are returning here for the sake of in-universe has to do with the title for the new film. It is called, 'The Ancient Evil' so I'm betting that something, or someone, is buried in the sands of Tatooine. It is terribly cliche--the hidden, forgotten thing buried under the desert sands--but it does make sense for a story-telling standpoint.

I don't think that's tatooine. If it is the sand's the wrong color compared to previous films. But it also doesn't make sense to have 2 desert planets. So it probably is tatooine in the end.

Practical props and effects, you just moved up a notch is my book new Star Wars films... you on notch one.

yes lets showcase the most boring planet. Oh well not like they wont have a new planet to show, with naboo being dead now, at least I hope they show a new one.

For such a 'backwater' planet, we do seem to see it a heck of a lot.

Why does every important person have to come from Tatooine? Can't they come from Correllia or Coruscant or some world where the people aren't munching on mushrooms from their moisture vaporators 24/7?

Akisa:

Because like the new Star Trek, I fear this movie will try to bank as much on nostalgia as possible. Why else do you think they dragged in the corpses of the original cast?

But anyway, practical creature effects... Who thought we'd ever see that in a Star Wars movie again?

Well, considering how many people were posing for shots it shouldn't be hard to work out who took and probably "leaked" the photos... Chalk me up as sceptical on the claim that it's really a "leak." Either way, looks pretty cool. Pity it's Tatooine though, a different planet would be nice.

Akisa:

When I started thinking about this, I realized that there really weren't that many planets that required location shootings. most places are just indoor sets and green screen. Still, they better come up with a real reason to actually go to taatoine, and not just throw it in just 'cause Star Wars...(which is what this feels like)

Practical effects. A good sign to start with. I do hope they don't spend too much time on Tatooine though (assuming that's what the set is supposed to be), cause we've been there and done that. A short stop for nostalgia (and hopefully a Dune joke from Mr. von Sydow) and off to new and exciting places!

Sniper Team 4:
I still say the space battle in Return of the Jedi blows every single CGI fight in the prequels out of the water.

That's because almost every scene involving action and cgi in the prequels was an impossible to follow visual abortion that had no business ever being rendered, let alone shown on theater screens.

I wouldn't get too ahead of ourselves in hoping for practical effects over cgi. A few props and sets does not a practical effects driven movie make. Until the final movie is released we have no way of knowing just how much shit their going to render on screen in addition to the practical stuff.

Sniper Team 4:
I still say the space battle in Return of the Jedi blows every single CGI fight in the prequels out of the water.

That's probably the best part of any of the movies. Just swarming fighters and lumbering capital ships slugging it out. And it all looked fantastic because their model makers and cameramen were excellent at what they did.

On topic: It's great to see actual set pieces, props, and practical effects being used. I'm still not sold on these new films, and am butthurt about the EU, but less green screens is a step in the right direction.

Redflash:

Akisa:

This, this, a thousand times this. Whilst I am overall very optimistic about the new films (after the prequels, what the hell is the worst that could happen?), I can't help but taking it as a bad sign that the creative minds behind this really couldn't come up with something more impressive than 'Tatooine again!'

Because they have to get spice somewhere.

Sol_HSA:

Redflash:

Akisa:

Because they have to get spice somewhere.

It's Tatooine, not Arrakis. Star Wars gets their Spice from the dwarf planet Kessel, which happens to sit just beyond the event horizon of a cluster of artificial black holes called The Maw. Except The Maw doesn't exist anymore because Disney.

Dark Horse comics actually had a bulletin letter put up in their Star Wars department saying "Stay the hell away from Tatooine", because too many writers were using it as a shorthand and a copout for creative locations.

Akisa:

Because that'd be too creative for J.J Abrams. There is a chance the whole movie will probably be filled with nothing but references to the original trilogy and nothing really new.

I'm kind of miffed that I see a lack of Bantha's though. Why is there a giant, pig fetus?

Otherwise, this adds strength to the idea/rumor that Lupita Nyong'o is playing Obi Wan's grand daughter. It's most likely if Obi Wan banged someone, it was while he was bored and hiding on Tatoonie. Either it was a one night stand and the lady disappeared or he simply kept the knowledge of the kid quiet, and told his girlfriend to go hide once the kid was discovered to be force sensitive.

The sign on photo 19 says "Warning" in aurebesh.

Two things before I go into my comments about the photos. One, this might the first and ONLY time I ever visit TMZ's website. Two, while I will slightly respect Abrams plan to keep this movie a secret, its a plan that is going to fail. These leaked photos are living proof that if one tries to deny the people, the Internet will always provide for us.

While other comments may whine about going back to Tatooine, I like what I see so far. It's great to see them using more practical effects rather then the CGI wank-fest that was the prequels. I'm just hoping that they will explore new worlds in Episode VII and not just make this a nostalgia trip. Let's wait and see, people.

BTW, TMZ posted set construction photos of the (possibly) returning Millennium Falcon and a slightly modded X-Wing fighter. Link is posted below.

http://www.tmz.com/2014/06/03/star-wars-episode-7-millennium-falcon-set-photos/

Christ, people here really hate Tatooine...

I don't mind it, out of the 6 films it's been shown 5 times, one was mainly in a Palace, and another it was a quick moment handing over luke as a baby, so technically, only 3 times has it played a bigger part in the story, where it's mainly been Mos Eisley, how about if this is Anchorhead or Mos Espa? there is plenty more to see on Tatooine.

Anyway, aside from it being on Tatooine (Which doesn't bother me all that much as i actually like the planet (Mos Eisley is over used though i admit), i'm really excited. I would hope new planets are shown though, like Dantooine or Mon Calamari. Also, less CGI? Colour me intrigued. I would hope however, that a little CGI is used to make the prop look a little....better. I mean it's glaringly obvious that it's just an oversized pig suit xD

all i can say is thank god they are using less CGI! If they really do keep it down it will make the movies feel a lot closer to the source material.

crepesack :
But it also doesn't make sense to have 2 desert planets.

You'd be surprised

That said, I reckon it's Tatooine.
There's a moisture Vaporator in pic #28 - one of those things Luke is bitching about fixing in ANH, and that type of design was always pretty indigenous to Tatooine in the EU.
Plus the cylindrical oblong in a few pics (#8) looks suspiciously like a Podracer engine.
And that monster looks like a type of pig/boar/thing native to Tatooine that I remember from Star Wars Galaxies. Size seems about right too.

arc1991:
Christ, people here really hate Tatooine...

I don't mind it, out of the 6 films it's been shown 5 times, one was mainly in a Palace, and another it was a quick moment handing over luke as a baby, so technically, only 3 times has it played a bigger part in the story, where it's mainly been Mos Eisley, how about if this is Anchorhead or Mos Espa? there is plenty more to see on Tatooine.

Anyway, aside from it being on Tatooine (Which doesn't bother me all that much as i actually like the planet (Mos Eisley is over used though i admit), i'm really excited. I would hope new planets are shown though, like Dantooine or Mon Calamari. Also, less CGI? Colour me intrigued. I would hope however, that a little CGI is used to make the prop look a little....better. I mean it's glaringly obvious that it's just an oversized pig suit xD

It's a fucking desert. There's nothing wrong with Tatooine, but there really isn't a whole lot going on there. There are rocks, a handful of Spaceports, and the Dune Sea.

I guess they want to channel the original movie as much as possible? Why is everyone surprised we're getting more Tatooine?

Johnny Novgorod:
I guess they want to channel the original movie as much as possible? Why is everyone surprised we're getting more Tatooine?

I can't figure that out, either. Yeah it's not someplace new, but I have no major objections to revisiting old places as long as the reasons aren't too contrived. Yeah there's going to be a nostalgia element to it, especially since they seem to making a great effort to back off from the CGI and move back to the "dirty future" aesthetic (two things which are fine by me, regardless of what they're doing with the story), but it's still a place that exists to the universe, and is a pretty important one at that. I don't see it as anything inherently limiting, though. Just because they have the ability to travel to any planet in the galaxy doesn't mean they'll never have a reason to revisit a planet, just as we revisit cities and countries we've been to.

Motherfucking Tatooine. I hope to god this is only the opening scene or something, because there is a lot to explore in the Star Wars Universe, not even including the EU.

Considering how safe they want to play this film, Tatooine really isn't surprising to see.

Can I just say that of the few extra planets we saw in the Prequels, they had made more interesting settings? I'm going to spell all of these wrong, but y'know the likes of Coruscant, Naboo, Utupao, Mustafar, Geonosis. All interesting places which looked gorgeous in those films.

I know there was an extensive book series, and the two KotOR's made the universe seem huge.. I take it Disney opted to write their own highly marketable story though. T_T

imo you can expect these movies (at least up until the oldies get killed off) to tick almost every star wars cliché in the book because the one thing Disney have to do more than anything else with the first few films is prove they can actually make something the general public will thumbs up as "A Star Wars Movie".

anyway obviously they go to tatooine so the spice can flow at warp speed...

Y'know what I love about Star Wars?

The interesting phenomenon where no matter what anybody does with it, 75% of Star Wars fans will bitch and moan about it. That means that if there was no Tattooine in the new films, 75% of people would still be bitching and moaning about it, whilst these photos showing Tattooine have 75% of people bitching and moaning about it.*

It should be mathematically impossible, and yet there it is...

I love it.

*No actual calculations have taken place, these numbers are entirely pulled out of my arse, taking this post seriously and responding as such will just lead to me mocking you further, in ever more sarcastic tones.

"Why Tatooine?"

Believe it or not I think Lucas himself answered this one back in the 90s. Specifically he did so in a self-important interview with Leonard Maltin that was put before the movies on the last VHS release of the original editions.

The explanation was simply "You have to shoot somewhere on earth." words he obviously forgot by the time he made Episode 2 and 3. But the point is either you shoot on a location that we have on earth or you use a greenscreen, and we've seen how well abuse of the latter works out. If they had a desert planet and it wasn't Tatoonie people would ask why they didn't just make it Tatooine. It's banking on nostalgia yeah but there are also practical reasons for it. About the only basic type of terrain we haven't seen filmed on location in a Star Wars movie yet is a tropical jungle. (Like Dagobah.) And good luck keeping everyone in the cast and crew from getting malaria on that one.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here