TMNT Art Book Reveals New Splinter & Shredder

TMNT Art Book Reveals New Splinter & Shredder

tmnt

TMNT's villain and mentor are revealed in new retrospective of franchise history.

The redesigns of the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles in the new Michael Bay-produced live-action feature adaptation have met with mixed reactions from longtime fans; but thus far the film's other two (known) major characters, the evil Shredder and wise Master Splinter, have only been seen in fleeting glimpses.

Not anymore. Toy blog Idle Hands has an early look at the upcoming art book TMNT: The Ultimate Visual History, which covers the evolution of the franchise from its beginnings to the present in unprecedented detail. From its pages they've culled the first good looks at the characters as they'll appear in the new movie (no official publicity stills have yet been released).

Of the two, Splinter will likely look the most familiar: A human-sized bipedal rat with gray/brown fur wearing a red-ish robe (the colors in the photo are a bit washed-out), he looks very close to his design from the first animated series. Shredder is a more dramatic overhaul, but still recognizable, with bulkier armor and larger blades than previous incarnations and a cape that appears to be itself made of razors. Tony Shalhoub is voicing Splinter, while William Fichtner is playing Erich Sachs - a nefarious businessman who becomes this iteration's version of The Shredder.

Source: Idle Hands

I like how a show about freaking Ninja Turtles has been turned into this, at least from a visual design perspective.

I am so sick of this *gritty* aesthetic, why is having fun seen as so wrong? Why do things have to be turned into *gritty reboots* that make them absolutely awful to watch unless you are the stereotypical 15 year old male teenager?

What it looks like to me:

UUUUUUUGH SO GRITTY, UGH, FUCK YOU DAD!

*masculinity*

The funny thing is, the picture I linked to is more upbeat than those character designs.

That left... hand.. gauntlet.. whatever the hell it is looks ridiculous. It's like he's replaced his arm with some hydraulic claw like the dude from Cursed Earth in first Judge Dredd movie. The helm, looks alright, doesn't really invoke the shogun/warlord thing the original did though - but I guess he isn't japanese this time, so fits I guess... dun know what to say about that choice. Splinter still looks awesome though.

I'm scared that if I get too close to Splinter, I'll catch the bubonic plaque or rabies. Shredder looks like a bunch of fucking metal just collided together and made a human. Anyway, both are pretty lame.

Splinter looks like a Power Rangers villain, and Splint looks fine to me.

Then again, I never really liked TMNT thought for some reason I liked Splinter.
I won't watch this film, but I'm glad at least I don't hate that design of Splinter.

How are they going to explain Splinter's existence if the TNMT were deliberately made? And WHY make Superheroes out of turtles? Why not... Sharks... ;)

Splinter looks like a Sumatran rat monkey.

Anyone who knows what I'm talking about knows that this is not a good thing.

Well Splinter looks like splinter now, and much better than he did as that derpy toy we saw a few months ago. Shredder looks like a transformer. That armor has to weigh a couple hundred pounds.

Of the two, Splinter will likely look the most familiar: A human-sized bipedal rat with gray/brown fur wearing a red-ish robe (the colors in the photo are a bit washed-out,) he looks very close to his design from the first animated series

Actually he's a dead ringer for his design in the second (and best) animated series.

Casual Shinji:

ZINGAYA!

Both these designs look fine to me.

Doesn't change the fact that the movie is probably going to suck...

Shredder looks way too overdesigned for me to like, but Splinter seems to fit the aesthetic well enough[1].

[1] Doesn't mean the aesthetic is any good however. Looks like they've all been vomited out.

Hey, Splinter looks pretty much exactly how he did in the 2003 cartoon; so they've got at least one thing spot on.
Shredder looks, uh. Like some sort of pointy MK I Iron Man.

Casual Shinji:

Hey, if this film featured a kung fu fighting New Zealand priest, all sins would be forgiven.

Splinter look alright, Shredder on the other hand look too bulky for my taste. How is he suppose to fight in that?

At least Splinter looks good. 1/6 aint bad in a Bay film.

Spaceman Spiff:
Well Splinter looks like splinter now, and much better than he did as that derpy toy we saw a few months ago. Shredder looks like a transformer. That armor has to weigh a couple hundred pounds.

Yeah, I was thinking Shredder looked like he was wearing one of the heavy armor sets from Dark Souls. A cape of razor blades? You've got to be f'ing kidding me.

Meanwhile the turtles still look pretty stupid.

I don't believe it. There's no way the designers of those turtles could make a splinter this subdued. I'll believe it when I see it in a trailer.

Splinter looks good. Wow I'm actually praising this movie for something.
Shredder on the other hand... the helmet looks good. The cape and body armor are fine I guess. But that gauntlet... I can't even tell what it is.

Well, as far as CGI stuff goes... everything looks "fine," so far. Splinter, especially. Don't particularly get the turtle hate, but what the heck.

What's with the new Shredder? He looks half man - half powerloader. I always thought of him as a long lost cousin of the ninjas in Mortal Kombat; at least that's how he looked in the comics.

Nothing wrong with how Splinter looks... till we see him talk and move that is :/

Splinter looks fine, no complaints here

Shredder looks like if Sauron, Darth Vader, a T-1000 and a truck all had an orgy and one of them was able to give birth to this

And the bad guys name is Erich Sachs?

If Goldman Sachs doesn't make it into this movie as a cameo or the sinister corporation, I will be disappoint ;P

YOU NO TAKE SHINY

That was my first reaction when seeing Splinter

There are some people in Hollywood who insist on beating a dead horse. But then there are those with creativity and vision, who come along and say, "I bet there's some good fucking left in that horse." Those men of vision, who molested dead horses, went on to create the new TMNT movie - because nobody had the courage to stop them. I think we can all share a little bit in that blame; we could've done more to avert this if we really tried, but in a climate of fear, we did not act and it happened.

Splinter looks like Splinter and Shredder looks like Transformers Sauron. Could be worse, the Turtles themselves looks very dorky.

Although, it doesn't matter to me since I stopped caring about TMNT when I was 10 or something.

Splinter looks...like a rat-man or man-rat in a robe, so pass. I'd say that's impossible to screw up, but I've been wrong before. Shredder...looks like something Iron Man should be fighting, or a prototype of that Silver Samurai armor in The Wolverine.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here