There's a Subreddit Dedicated to Luigi Death Stares in Mario Kart 8

There's a Subreddit Dedicated to Luigi Death Stares in Mario Kart 8

Luigi Death Stare 310x

If you cross Luigi, you best be packing a protective green shell or banana peel.

One of the more captivating features of Mario Kart 8, as outlined in our review, is the highlight system, which automagically splices a best- and worst-of reel together of your race upon completion. You can watch highlights at fast and reduced speeds, rewind, and save your favorites on Mario Kart TV. Watching the highlights gives us a closer look at driver's reactions to race events, from passing or being passed, to exploding when fireballs hit the back of your ride.

And no one's face in these moments is as frightening as Luigi's. It's not even close. It's so distinctive, in fact, there's now a dedicated subreddit for captured Luigi moments.

r/LuigiDeathStares is exactly what it sounds like: A hall reserved for Luigi and his seething hatred for all other Mario Kart racers. It even has more readers than the official r/MarioKart subreddit.

Much of his hatred is preserved in GIF form, but there's plenty of YouTube evidence to share as well. My two favorite gifs so far? L-Unit, and of course the meeting of the rival Luigi's in a photo finish. There's some good YouTube content, too, like WaLuigi's Revenge.

Mario Kart 8 is doing pretty well so far. It's the fastest-selling Wii U game ever, with 1.2 million copies sold during its first weekend. The more Mario Kart copies there are out in the world, the more dark, bane Luigi we'll get. Soon there will be no light, no dark...only Luigi.

Cool, I guess... Is this really the place to discuss it though? There is a reason why the News section isnt called Off-Topic Discussion.

Even worse, there's a "news" article on a subreddit dedicated to Luigi death stares in Mario Kart 8. Truly horrifying stuff.

So now we are talking about sub-reddits? Is the news day REALLY that dry? I know the escapist does stray away from talking about gaming news sometimes, but this is just ridiculous.

While the assertion that this isn't news is beyond valid, at least it has something to do with games, which is better then some other gaming sites, and the escapist isn't even 'just a game news' site.

That being said, this did kind of make me want to buy that game, which would require me to buy a Wii U.... So.... I still won't buy it, but there's a game on the Wii U now.

oh jeez...I didn't realize the news room had a finite amount of space to make content about.

It's all in good fun and is peculiar if nintendo ever intended for luigi to come across so grimacing.

to all the negative nancy's in hurr

I look forward to the day if/when newspapers and television news turn into such trivial matters. I know they're close with stalking celebrities and reporting on them; but I would love to turn the tv on and hear about a trivial matter on reddit, tumblr, or other such site. Then I could lose all faith in humanity and not feel a thing.

What's the big deal? It's an article about a humorous thing in gaming at the moment, why is everyone being so uppity?

Oh, what, are we too intellectual for stuff from Reddit? The site with an incest thread currently burning brightly in off-topic

This website talks about gaming related topics among other things.
This is a gaming related topic.
What is the problem here?

OT: These stares are hilarious, look at this crap.

http://i.minus.com/ibhZ41xGB0X5uW.gif

There is no escape.

After 30 years living in his brother's shadow I'd be a little pissed too.

momijirabbit:

There is no escape.

ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh'm just going to say yes. Nope, sorry, nothing.

That's pretty funny. Luigi was always my favourite for some reason, now I have a reason, he's not one to be fucked with.

I thought it was pretty funny

gmaverick019:
oh jeez...I didn't realize the news room had a finite amount of space to make content about.

It's all in good fun and is peculiar if nintendo ever intended for luigi to come across so grimacing.

to all the negative nancy's in hurr

Daystar Clarion:
What's the big deal? It's an article about a humorous thing in gaming at the moment, why is everyone being so uppity?

Oh, what, are we too intellectual for stuff from Reddit? The site with an incest thread currently burning brightly in off-topic

momijirabbit:

There is no escape.

I guess its mostly because in other situations with things more related the Escapist decided that it wasnt as news worthy after some people suggested it to be put on the news section. I mean, this is just a subreddit, are we going to see more news posts about other subreddits there like we are usually getting those "news" with the drawing of Disney characters?

josemlopes:

I guess its mostly because in other situations with things more related the Escapist decided that it wasnt as news worthy after some people suggested it to be put on the news section. I mean, this is just a subreddit, are we going to see more news posts about other subreddits there like we are usually getting those "news" with the drawing of Disney characters?

there are multiple people who do the news sections, and they aren't robots that are on 24/7, so it doesn't surprise me they don't put certain things on the news section. this is a subreddit, but it is a subreddit about a VERY huge game and franchise that is sold worldwide, so it putting in the gaming related news doesn't surprise me in the slightest.

You do realize the title isn't misleading in the slightest? neither are the drawings of disney character ones. It takes all but 2 seconds for you to skim over the title. Who is this harming exactly?

edit: that probably came across snarkier than I meant it to, so just letting you know I'm attempting to make light hearted fun here to hopefully keep the thread fun.

Why is it I get the feeling that Luigi is slowly being driven insane by constantly being forced to play second banana to his twat older brother and that the occasional Luigi's Mansion game is the only think keeping him from becoming a serial killer.

I'm interpreting it as a subtly bit of metahumor for the "Year of Luigi" being one of Nintendo's worst thus far.
Too pretentious?

OK. The death stares are hilarious. Great work on the expression.
Also, gaming Summer Drought is upon us and it looks to be a bad one this year now that the "next-gen" consoles are out.

It's funny. I especially like the one where he beats his brother with grim determination and even a sadistic grin on his face a moment later. But I have to echo the others: It's kind of nifty, but is it news? Eh, one article can't hurt much.

Guys, every fucking time something is posted the discussion immediately turns to "is this news". Yes. Everything that happens is news to someone. I found it interesting, it's not like it's competing with things I have to know for screen time, it may as well be there as not. Christ.

The real question is, is the "is this news?" discussion, news in and of itself?

-Devin Connors, Non-News Editor

I just knew when I clicked on the link to see the comments that it was going to be a whole bunch of "how is this news?" complaints. I get that a lot of these articles may not seem "newsworthy" but let's at least differentiate between the ones that are pure clickbait and the ones that are just trying to have some fun. I personally found Luigi's death stare pretty hilarious when I first saw it.

If it exist then there is a subreddit dedicated to it. No exceptions.

*Subbed*

Daystar Clarion:

Fun things aren't news! We have to talk only about EA being dicks or sexism! No fun allowed!

Devin Connors:
The real question is, is the "is this news?" discussion, news in and of itself?

-Devin Connors, Non-News Editor

Only if you make a news post about it. I think we both know what to do here. >:D

Jesus christ, the Escapist isn't just about gaming stuff guys.

It's said quite a few times that gaming's got a very heavy emphasis, but it's really just a news site.
Also, that subreddit is amazing. Brought a smile to my face.

Newsworthy now?

Why is this a thing.

This is the greatest thing I have ever seen in my entire life.

I'm already very close to picking up a WiiU and MK8. This may have just pushed me over that edge...

DaWaffledude:
This is the greatest thing I have ever seen in my entire life.

My work here is done, then.

-Devin Connors

Daystar Clarion:

The last bastion of common sense on the internet folks! That's where we are. :D

OT: That's kindof hilarious but I was too busy not sleeping due to Star Citizen's Dog Fighting Module getting released to even notice Mario Kart 8. BRB, more Vanduul's to die to. ;)

well Dark Souls 2 just got DLC/a Season Pass announced, could that not be news? some fans will see it as milking, others praising From for more Souls goodness

Nintendo games have a pretty rich unintentionally hilarious/hideous past. I remember in Mario party on the n64, can't remember which one but in one of them, there's a mini-game called grab bag. all the players have sacks of money on their back and other players try to grab them and shake money out. only problem was if you were using a larger character like dk or bowser it didn't match up so well.... basically it looked like dry anal rape.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here