Riot Bans League of Legends Pros For "Toxic Behavior"

League of Legends

Two League of Legends pros have been suspended from professional League of Legends play for the rest of the year.

Riot Games has taken a rather strong stance against "toxic behavior" for its super popular MOBA - League of Legends, and it seems even professional players aren't immune to the Riot banhammer. The company has announced that two LoL pros - Alfonso "Mithy" Rodriguez and Erlend "Nukeduck" Holm - have been banned from professional play for the rest of the year, following more than a few outbursts of not-so-sportsmanlike behavior.

The official report of the bans on the game's forums state that both players have "exhibited extremely toxic behavior in solo queue" - that is, the "single player" queuing option for the game. In Rodriguez's case, "his harassment score rose to be within the top 1% of all players on EUW," while Holm "has been reported in nearly 30% of the games he played, with over 65% of those reports being for Offensive Language, Negative Attitude, and Verbal Abuse."

Despite previous punishments for their toxicity, both player's behavior showed no improvement over the past months, even after their accounts became Chat Restricted.

The official punishment for the two pros is that they will be suspended from the League Championship Series and the Challenger Series through the end of 2014 (it's unknown whether or not they will be able to continue playing the game on their own, private League of Legends accounts).

So there you have it. Being a pro doesn't excuse you from being a dick, and it's nice to see Riot not make exceptions for professional players.

Source: Riot Games

Good. That's all I can say and I do not even play MOBA'S. I dislike elitism in any game and despise L2P elitist comments.

Guess they're finally getting tired of their game being known for Nastiest Playerbase on Earth.

Zhukov:
Guess they're finally getting tired of their game being known for Nastiest Playerbase on Earth.

Its a pretty even contest between LoL and Eve. That said at least riot is doing something.

Good to see.

This e-sports thing might need more time to truly take off, but continuing to keep their pros in check is a good sign.

albino boo:

Zhukov:

Its a pretty even contest between LoL and Eve. That said at least riot is doing something.

Rubbish, EVE has a great community. Normal gameplay is not "nasty" behaviour, in all the time I played EVE I had more abuse and death threats from the players that think they should be able to play their own little game within EVE and be left alone (The ones labelled by some as "carebears").

Zhukov:

I dunno, DOTA 2 is up there as well. I still get nightmares of Russians shouting down voice chat with crazy loud WUB WUB Dubstep on in the background. At least Riot has a functional report and punishment system. Let's not forget the entirety of Xbox Live, how many mothers have sexually frustated 15 year olds allegedly banged by now? Aside from ArcSys games which are perfectly civil for some unknown reason.

OT: Good. The pros should know better. Especially when they can rage out loud verbally in stream not actually in game, i'm fairly certain you're alright on the ban front there.

JET1971:
Good. That's all I can say and I do not even play MOBA'S. I dislike elitism in any game and despise L2P elitist comments.

Same here. Yet there's a bunch of people who play MOBA's and fighters who'd disagree.

Zhukov:

at least in EVE being a dick is a mechanic

Nice to see some good news aboutt his kind of thing. Cheers me up.

"Professional" is more than a title; it's an attitude. Riot Games can only benefit from keeping these pseudo-"pros" from chasing off potential paying customers.

J Tyran:

albino boo:

Zhukov:

Rubbish, EVE has a great community. Normal gameplay is not "nasty" behaviour, in all the time I played EVE I had more abuse and death threats from the players that think they should be able to play their own little game within EVE and be left alone (The ones labelled by some as "carebears").

Eh. It's not rubbish to say that there are some real nasty fuckers in EVE.

Generally the community is great but you also get people like Erotica 1 and the Goon spy master who doxxed people and if you read the forums you see a lot of people being dicks.

It's also a community that thinks 'jew' is an appropriate way to refer to players making money on the market. Let's not kid ourselves.

Note: I'm not talking about ganks and other mechanics based dickery. That's fine. That's needed.

The Rogue Wolf:
"Professional" is more than a title; it's an attitude. Riot Games can only benefit from keeping these pseudo-"pros" from chasing off potential paying customers.

Damn right.

OT: Good. They were given their chance and nobody enjoys a toxic community.

I don't get why there needs to be a whole reporting and censorship regime if there are functional ignore lists. I haven't played LoL, do they have ignore lists? If not that seems like a major oversight.

I was half expecting this to be about Xpecial.

Again.

Oh well, it was bound to happen, given the size of the community.

rembrandtqeinstein:
I don't get why there needs to be a whole reporting and censorship regime if there are functional ignore lists. I haven't played LoL, do they have ignore lists? If not that seems like a major oversight.

They do have an ignore list and a mute function in game. That still doesn't mean we can't report and punish them for being a jerk in-game. Riot is invested in this because the less jerks there are, the more people will stick around.

rembrandtqeinstein:

LoL does have an ignore feature, it's as easy as hitting tab to bring up a status screen of all the players and pressing a small button next to a player's name, and all of their chat will be blocked.

But most time the toxic players are on the same side. Toxic behavior more often comes from disagreements with your teammates, not the opponent.

So you ignore someone, but you're 15-20 minutes into a 45 minute game. You still have to work with this person. So you've blocked them, but the damage is already done. You're less willing to work as a full team now. The other players are feeling a bit discouraged, which means that the chances one of you makes a bad play increases slightly, and when it happens the morale on your team drops a bit more. It then spirals from there.

Now, the game is over, and if anyone goes back into queue to play again, they're taking a bit of the baggage from that game. Chances are slightly higher now that each of those 5 people bring a bit of the toxic behavior into their next game, and the process repeats itself.

So the issue isn't of the immediate toxic user, it's the virus effect it has on the larger community as a whole.

Riot did a bit of analysis and presented it to GDC here that talks about it-- http://gdcvault.com/play/1017940/The-Science-Behind-Shaping-Player

I've never heard the term "toxic" being thrown about that oftenly until riot manipulated you all into using it constantly.

loa:
I've never heard the term "toxic" being thrown about that oftenly until riot manipulated you all into using it constantly.

Naming something is key in helping to control something.

Good, I've played some games of LoL with some nasty people. I'm happy with Riot sticks to their guns. The game is all about team work, and most of the bullshit comes from another team member. A pissy player can screw your team over in more ways then one even without saying a word.

And good riddance. It's asshole's like this that make the game less fun and enjoyable for everyone else on their team.

They've been going after pros for toxic behavior for a while now, so its really not surprising to see more banned at this point.

When such a large number of players have a problem with certain players, it's good to have them dealt with. Behavior like this is not acceptable in "real life" and should not be tolerated in online games, which lets face it, IS STILL REAL LIFE. Just because you are alone behind your computer, does not give you the right to become "toxic" to other people you are playing online with. Those are not bots, they are real people there to enjoy themselves.

loa:

Manipulated? Interesting, since the terms that Riot actually uses on the website don't include the term toxic.

IIRC (and it has been a bit since I've reported anyone so they might've changed it), in the options for reporting someone, the term "Toxic" is not used anywhere. That is a term used by the community to have a 1 word description for the negative behaviour of some players. That's not a Riot thing, that's a human thing.

I could say the same about how society shaped you into using words like "asshole" or "dick" or "pansy" or any number of other words that are used to describe a negative behaviour, but are in themselves, words that technically meant something else. That's just human language. We find more concise, direct definitions for things, and if they fit well, they stick around in our language. Simple as that.

I mean yeah, we could all do what I have been doing in this reply, spend paragraph after paragraph, describing the negative behaviour of these players in fine detail, every single time we discuss them. Or, we could simply say "toxic" and you will know very quickly what we are discussing. It unpacks a lot of information in a small amount of communication.

Oh goody!

Nice to see them get off their asses and punish even pros when they're being dickheads.

I would like to seem them crack down a bit harder on the pros, though. If they are the face of your game, they should be held to a high standard. A pro shouldn't have to get into the top 1% harassment score for his region to be taken aside and told to cut it out or get lost.

J Tyran:

albino boo:

Zhukov:

I'm not going to start an argument with you here, because I do believe that even the "victims" of e-assholery have/should have a measure of self control, and should not lower themselves to the level of threatening someone with frothing violence because they were beaten in a video game, AND I have seen examples where SOME (Not all, nor a reliable fraction) of the community will go out of their way to embrace someone who shows amusement and an awareness of it only being a game...

But... Having said that, let's not gild the lily here. There are a metric ton of "content creators" in the game that very specifically and deliberately engender, in absolutely any way possible, that very response. Let us not pretend that spinning people up into an oblivious tornado of anger is not a central past-time of EvE's culture, and let us not further pretend that many of the player base will use the most shit-eating grin they can, when defending their actions and stating that "the carebears" need to calm down and not resort to threats/vulgarity/rage.

That is -exactly- what was wanted, 100% of the time.

I wish more companies and championships would start taking steps like this. It would really help the rest of the world to start seeing gaming differently, and stop thinking that all of us are like these whining little brats with the mouth of a little kid. Bonus points to Riot Games.

Steven Bogos:

Um, sorry to pick nits, but shouldn't the headline say "suspends" not "bans"?

"Ban" tends to imply a more permanent sanction- as with the Escapist's own forum.

The Wykydtron:

Zhukov:

I dunno, DOTA 2 is up there as well. I still get nightmares of Russians shouting down voice chat with crazy loud WUB WUB Dubstep on in the background. At least Riot has a functional report and punishment system. Let's not forget the entirety of Xbox Live, how many mothers have sexually frustated 15 year olds allegedly banged by now? Aside from ArcSys games which are perfectly civil for some unknown reason.

OT: Good. The pros should know better. Especially when they can rage out loud verbally in stream not actually in game, i'm fairly certain you're alright on the ban front there.

In all my time playing Dota (over 1000 hours) i've never had ANYONE play loud music down the mic. There are annoying russians who play, but for the most part, you can just ignore them.

And League's report system is not a good one. The Tribunal is an absolutely terrible system that does not work as well as it should.

I'm not saying that Dota has a good community, but it is DEFINITELY better than that in League. League's community is shit, and it's worsened tenfold just by having the excessively strict laning system that REQUIRES solo top, jungler and support.

Dexterity:
League's community is shit, and it's worsened tenfold just by having the excessively strict laning system that REQUIRES solo top, jungler and support.

I do agree that I dislike how strict the Meta is in League.

That and I don't like how when anyone does anything "out of Meta", there's always that one guy who gets angry. :s What's wrong with my ADC partner taking ADC Teemo? It actually WORKS!

mythgraven:

J Tyran:

albino boo:

I'm not going to start an argument with you here, because I do believe that even the "victims" of e-assholery have/should have a measure of self control, and should not lower themselves to the level of threatening someone with frothing violence because they were beaten in a video game, AND I have seen examples where SOME (Not all, nor a reliable fraction) of the community will go out of their way to embrace someone who shows amusement and an awareness of it only being a game...

But... Having said that, let's not gild the lily here. There are a metric ton of "content creators" in the game that very specifically and deliberately engender, in absolutely any way possible, that very response. Let us not pretend that spinning people up into an oblivious tornado of anger is not a central past-time of EvE's culture, and let us not further pretend that many of the player base will use the most shit-eating grin they can, when defending their actions and stating that "the carebears" need to calm down and not resort to threats/vulgarity/rage.

That is -exactly- what was wanted, 100% of the time.

Mining for tears isn't a core part of EVE's culture. It is so very rarely personal in EVE. People think because they lost a ship or isk in a scam that it was about them somehow. It's not, you were just another line on the overview who got caught in the wrong place without using the tools available to you or another sucker who thought they were the ones who were going to get easy isk out of someone else. The vast majority of players are nice when you engage them in conversation.
There's no excuse for the frequency of racial slurs thrown around by (mostly) two of the biggest alliances (if Test still exists in any capacity, I've not been paying attention to space politics lately). That shit is out of line.

Ech, banning for "VErbal abuse reports" always remind me of a friend who got banned on Eggsbox Live for voice chat abuse because people kept reporting him. thing is, he never even spoke. i woudl see him play a game, no microphone connected us two chatting while he plays and then he woudl get reported for voice chat abuse because somone thought he wasnt playing good enough. Report system is a good way for moderators to know what to look at, not a way to base bans off.

albino boo:

Zhukov:

i guess thats why eve is winning the best community awards all the time right?

Eve has an amazing community, its just not your regular MMO community and i can understand it frustrates you.

teh_gunslinger:

there is some real nasty fuckers everywhere. hardly an argument agaisnt EVE.

i am a highsec carebear that trades alot and i was never referred to as jew. its first time i hear about such.

psychopez:

The problem is when you try to assign labels that do not fit to groups that dont share common traits.
Also controling is not always a good thing.

In other words Riot still rocks. Keep it classy guys :D

Strazdas:
Ech, banning for "VErbal abuse reports" always remind me of a friend who got banned on Eggsbox Live for voice chat abuse because people kept reporting him. thing is, he never even spoke. i woudl see him play a game, no microphone connected us two chatting while he plays and then he woudl get reported for voice chat abuse because somone thought he wasnt playing good enough. Report system is a good way for moderators to know what to look at, not a way to base bans off.

albino boo:

Zhukov:

i guess thats why eve is winning the best community awards all the time right?

Eve has an amazing community, its just not your regular MMO community and i can understand it frustrates you.

teh_gunslinger:

there is some real nasty fuckers everywhere. hardly an argument agaisnt EVE.

i am a highsec carebear that trades alot and i was never referred to as jew. its first time i hear about such.

psychopez:

The problem is when you try to assign labels that do not fit to groups that dont share common traits.
Also controling is not always a good thing.

I certainly wasn't arguing against EVE. I'm a low sec guy myself and spend most of my time getting blown up in various ways. It's an excellent game. But it's wrong to gloss over the nasty parts of the community. And you can be sure that jew as a term is frequent enough.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here