Watch Dogs: One Week On, 4 Million Sales

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Watch Dogs: One Week On, 4 Million Sales

1 million sales in the first 24 hours following its release; that's a lot of cybercrime!

Watch Dogs, Ubisoft's new cybercrime IP, has been tearing up sales records recently, with 1 million sales in the first 24 hours after release; and now Ubisoft's announced 4 million sales in the first week alone. Looks like the launch delay - and the extra polish it allowed - was a sound move, as Watch Dogs is now Ubisoft's best selling game in week one.

Sure, it could have been a PS4 and Xbox One launch title, but with sales numbers like these it's hard to argue that letting a few months slide was a bad idea. Sony certainly has no reason to complain; UK sales numbers indicate a significant increase in PS4 hardware sales on the back of Watch Dogs' success.

"The results we achieved in the first week of launch are amazing and prove Ubisoft's commitment to developing new blockbuster IP and thoroughly new-gen experiences," says Ubisoft's Darren Bowen in an official statement. Ubisoft's hoping Watch Dogs will become another go-to series like Assassin's Creed, which in its total lifetime has sold 76 million copies worldwide.

So, Watch Dogs 2 anyone? Maybe Ubisoft can find a way to smuggle a sea chanteys collectible side mission into modern day Chicago.

Source: CVG

How about this, Ubisoft. Re-invest the profits into some R&D into new franchises / ideas and form new teams to develop them. Split push new IP's instead of immediately saying "So, Watch Dogs 2 anyone?"

I wasn't fond of this game as it is now, so I can't imagine just how much worse it will have been with a few months less development time.

Kinda scary to think about really.

It's amazing what hype and marketing can do. The game is mediocre in every conceivable way.

Lncredible:
How about this, Ubisoft. Re-invest the profits into some R&D into new franchises / ideas and form new teams to develop them. Split push new IP's instead of immediately saying "So, Watch Dogs 2 anyone?"

What's the point? you don't need much money or RD to create "a new IP", just take the characters and give them random new names and faces.

Watch Dogs itself has a not particularly unique universe, all of it's minor innovations might have as well been done inside a pre-existing IP.

I'm not saying that would be BETTER, just that it's entirely irrelavant. "New IP" is copyright lawyer's jargon, rather than a source of creativity as far as entertainment criticism is concerned.

Hey, how about some trade-in statistics for this game, I heard people had more fun playing 'trade it in' than the game itself.

Cause you know, it's a steaming pile of over-hyped mediocre shit.

Adam Jensen:
It's amazing what hype and marketing can do. The game is mediocre in every conceivable way.

Thats been my impression of it. I was wanting a cyberpunk narrative, near future game. So far the closest I have is Deus Ex Hr which is good but I was hoping for something new.

this mediocre, soulless thing has sold 4 MILLION units? wtf is wrong with people?

Must be console sales, because Steam stats have shown Watchdogs at <40k peak players every day since launch.

Hell, Football Manager 2014 has consistently had more Steam players online than Watchdogs.

teebeeohh:
this mediocre, soulless thing has sold 4 MILLION units? wtf is wrong with people?

Most people don't care about graphics, super tight game play, generic characters and simple game mechanics. Is the game great? Probably not, but so far I've pretty much enjoyed what I've gotten through regardless of a few minor hiccups here and there. Honestly if this shows anything it is that full on gamers don't realise that they're not the majority of gamers. A majority of people who play games do it as a couple of hours a week and Watch Dogs is a game that is perfect for that.

I imagine this is gonna go the same way as Mass Effect 3. Hardcore gamers crying about a decent game for a long, long time, the rest just having a bit of fun and moving on.

MinionJoe:
Must be console sales, because Steam stats have shown Watchdogs at <40k peak players every day since launch.

Hell, Football Manager 2014 has consistently had more Steam players online than Watchdogs.

You can't judge by Steam stats since retail copies and any keys from a retailer that is not steam goes directly through uPlay.

Fireprufe15:

You can't judge by Steam stats since retail copies and any keys from a retailer that is not steam goes directly through uPlay.

You're absolutely right. The number of active players on the largest, direct-distribution online retailer for PC games is completely irrelevant and insignificant.

Clearly, Steam doesn't even account for 1% of total Watchdog players across all platforms. Because those 40,000 peak Steam players is just 1% of those 4,000,000 units sold. So there's no way Steam could have sold more than 1% of total Watchdog sales.

bug_of_war:

Great, now I have no interest in playing it at all.

Ubisoft and their damn conspiracy boners.

bug_of_war:

Wha...WHAT?! Since when!?

EDIT: And after a visit to the Internet, i found this http://www.gamespot.com/articles/watch-dogs-includes-cameo-easter-egg-from-assassin-s-creed-4/1100-6420043/

It was one mission and it was an easter egg, Assassin's Creed lead writer Darby McDevitt said they are not connected.

It's simply a small crossover, nothing more.

Of course it did. Massive amounts of publicity and hyping the game to high hell tends to do that. Doesn't hurt their sales either that most gamers don't care about the graphics fiasco or go too deep into the story.

bug_of_war:

What? Wow. Thank you, you just saved me a full price purchase.

And it already has DLC! Good for Ubisoft. Just goes to show that marketing is becoming more important than honesty.

Kind of disappointed about this. I say kind of because after all the bullshit lies (specifically the bullshots) and ridiculous amount of collectors editions and the shit they're putting (non-nvidia) pc users through right now they really don't deserve this level of success. Yet I still wanted it to be at least somewhat successful, at least enough to merit Ubisoft supporting it with patches and to have a pretty ambitious open world game get some limelight as opposed to yet another linear "cutscene-o-riffic" game getting all the praise and money.

I'm torn, really... I just hope that those enjoying the game at least acknowledge all the bullshit that surrounds it, because Ubisoft shouldn't get off Scott-free you know?

teebeeohh:

I'm going to suggest something a little crazy. Maybe they liked it?

blah blah blah.... ubisoft bad....
blah blah blah... steam rules....

Seriously, I enjoyed the game, it didn't make me think too much and I thought it looked great oh and

Azaraxzealot:

I'm torn, really... I just hope that those enjoying the game at least acknowledge all the bullshit that surrounds it, because Ubisoft shouldn't get off Scott-free you know?

no gaming company should really get away with the hype they surround games with, you'd think it was the second coming how some games are promoted!

Top tip, ignore the hype, play the game, then make an informed decision.

Casual Shinji:
[Snip

Frezzato:
snip

Considering that both of you just took that one post at face value and are now using it as justification to hate the game, I feel like a little perspective is in order.

arc1991:
after a visit to the Internet, i found this http://www.gamespot.com/articles/watch-dogs-includes-cameo-easter-egg-from-assassin-s-creed-4/1100-6420043/

It was one mission and it was an easter egg, Assassin's Creed lead writer Darby McDevitt said they are not connected.

I know sometimes we rush to conclusions, but it really is for the best if you double check your facts. After all, as Abraham Lincoln said, you can't trust everything you read on the internet.

I've enjoyed it so far. I have a feeling it's becoming the game that hype has made it cool to dismiss. It's not a perfect game by a long shot, and I don't think it's going to fulfill anyone's dreams of photorealistic nex-gen chrome, but it does some things with the hacking mechanics that I've genuinely not seen before (going through the cameras and picking off half the opposition by blowing up transformers and setting off their grenades is a power trip that has yet to get old).

If they did another one, I'd appreciate cars that don't try to fishtail when you turn at low speeds and a parkour system that isn't terrifying to use above a second story- maybe a character who intuitively jumps over short gaps rather than taking every opportunity to fling himself over railings to his death.

As for WD2- sure, thus far I'm game. Hopefully re-using the engine- and maybe some or all of the map- might allow for more time to polish physical mechanics.

Callate:
I've enjoyed it so far. I have a feeling it's becoming the game that hype has made it cool to dismiss. It's not a perfect game by a long shot, and I don't think it's going to fulfill anyone's dreams of photorealistic nex-gen chrome, but it does some things with the hacking mechanics that I've genuinely not seen before (going through the cameras and picking off half the opposition by blowing up transformers and setting off their grenades is a power trip that has yet to get old).

If they did another one, I'd appreciate cars that don't try to fishtail when you turn at low speeds and a parkour system that isn't terrifying to use above a second story- maybe a character who intuitively jumps over short gaps rather than taking every opportunity to fling himself over railings to his death.

As for WD2- sure, thus far I'm game. Hopefully re-using the engine- and maybe some or all of the map- might allow for more time to polish physical mechanics.

^Pretty much this.

I also really enjoy the fact that you can complete objectives without ever setting foot in the area.

As for WD2 - I'd like the campaign to include fewer cases of forced action. When I spend 15 minutes planning and executing an infiltration, it pisses me off to no end to have the game suddenly decide that every enemy knows exactly where I am. This also goes for Convoy missions when I blow the target up from parked car on the other side of several buildings 2 blocks away. :|

I'm hoping the sequel will be the great leap we really wanted, like Assassin's Creed 2 eventually was. So far though I'm not all that impressed, more so given the relentless marketing and hype. Yes, I know that shouldn't tarnish the actual quality of the game itself but it's hard not to roll one's eyes at times, more so at the past coverage now that it's out.

bug_of_war:

teebeeohh:

Most people don't care about graphics, super tight game play, generic characters and simple game mechanics. Is the game great? Probably not, but so far I've pretty much enjoyed what I've gotten through regardless of a few minor hiccups here and there. Honestly if this shows anything it is that full on gamers don't realise that they're not the majority of gamers. A majority of people who play games do it as a couple of hours a week and Watch Dogs is a game that is perfect for that.

I imagine this is gonna go the same way as Mass Effect 3. Hardcore gamers crying about a decent game for a long, long time, the rest just having a bit of fun and moving on.

Yeah it's interesting to note that the majority of escapists don't have full time jobs/families/commitments etc (about 95% as of the last pole that I saw) so they don't understand that there are literally millions (at least 4 millions) of gamers out there who have a completely different persepective and don't have time to post their opinions online because of said commitments. It means that, sadly, there is a very skewed perspective here, hence the general inaccuracies about anything business related.

On Topic: I'm still curious about Watch Dogs. It's good to see a new IP doing well especially since I don't think Titanfall did as well as they expected (could be wrong). I've got other games to play at the moment though :)

Stabby Joe:
I'm hoping the sequel will be the great leap we really wanted, like Assassin's Creed 2 eventually was. So far though I'm not all that impressed, more so given the relentless marketing and hype. Yes, I know that shouldn't tarnish the actual quality of the game itself but it's hard not to roll one's eyes at times, more so at the past coverage now that it's out.

Forced always online requirement where if your connection has even the slightest hicup your play time is over no matter what you're doing?

erttheking:

teebeeohh:

Buying something and liking something are two different things. I bought it and frankly I'm not impressed in the slightest. It's just another open world game that uses all the same mechanics as any other open world game. I definitely have buyer's remorse and would have been better off just renting this game from Gamefly (I would have already sent it back).

The driving sucks, cars are too floaty. The only vehicles worth driving are the motorcycles.

tehroc:

erttheking:

teebeeohh:

Buying something and liking something are two different things. I bought it and frankly I'm not impressed in the slightest. It's just another open world game that uses all the same mechanics as any other open world game. I definitely have buyer's remorse and would have been better off just renting this game from Gamefly (I would have already sent it back).

The driving sucks, cars are too floaty. The only vehicles worth driving are the motorcycles.

If you assume that everyone dislikes it, then why did you ask what was wrong with people?

erttheking:

teebeeohh:

how would they know if they liked it before buying it?
maybe they liked the promise of a game given to them by advertising and waited for reviews that confirm their assumption/told them it was basically AC with an extra use button and guns. lots of guns.

erttheking:
snip

Gaaaah, the framerate in my brain drops significantly when I'm sleep deprived. I forgot to add a punchline. I said a full price purchase and was going to tie in the fact that the last game I bought cost me $3.39. Of course in my case the last game I paid full price for was
Mass Effect 3

Some people ITT:

Anyhoo, I'm happy to see this got good numbers. GTA V was a huge disappointment to me personally so its nice to see another entry into that style of game. Hopefully most of this money goes to a sequel that builds on the solid foundation they have like AC2 did and not just marketing.

Good for Ubisoft. Hopefully this means that they will see promise in continued development of new IPs as it can clearly pay off just as well as repeat sequels can.

I also have to say that I find sales numbers discussions to be delightful.

The was fun, and the story, though not the best, was entertaining. I can easily pick it up and just play it and enjoy it. The last open world game I could do that with was... GTA IV. (RDR was close to that. GTA V spectacularly failed at it removing the fun of awesome police chases and online shenanigans to persistent-FFA matches in free roam.)

So, well, I'm glad it did well. Hopefully it'll get more content/series pieces, and more IP's with fun concepts will be given green-lights by success. (Looking at you, The Division.)

Casual Shinji:

bug_of_war:

Great, now I have no interest in playing it at all.

Ubisoft and their damn conspiracy boners.

Sweet, now I guess you've got no reason to post on a Watch Dogs thread then.

arc1991:

bug_of_war:

Wha...WHAT?! Since when!?

EDIT: And after a visit to the Internet, i found this http://www.gamespot.com/articles/watch-dogs-includes-cameo-easter-egg-from-assassin-s-creed-4/1100-6420043/

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here