TrackingPoint Makes Google Glass App for Shooting Around Corners

TrackingPoint Makes Google Glass App for Shooting Around Corners

Glasshole, redefined.

TrackingPoint is a company known for making smart guns, with sights that can automatically adjust for wind, distance, and other variables before you pull the trigger.

Now that company's lab is bringing Google Glass into the mix, as it's developed an app that let's you see, and shoot, around corners.

Using the same networked, precision guided sight, TrackingPoint has created an app that let's your $1,500 Google Glass eyewear connect with the firearm. The camera feed from the sight is sent to the Glass display (or an iPhone or iPad, alternatively), allowing the shooter to remain largely covered while firing.

Users still get the full functionality of the networked sight as well, allowing them to tag targets, set range, etc.

It's no Israeli Corner Shot, but it sacrifices the same degree of cover/blind fire for more advanced tech, and off-the-shelf hardware friendliness.

This sort of thing has been around for a while, but tended to use custom headsets. Making them compatible with normal civilian stuff was the next logical step, I guess.

Logical next step in 10-20-30 years? Terrorists have capabilities to hack the camera and SEE that you're targeting them as well as your direct position.

Plus there's the worry that a Wi-Fi broadcasting in an area with a bomb that will have a remote detonation device to it and could accidentally give off the same frequency and trigger said bomb.

Too many variables

Next up, smartlinking weapons

Deathfish15:
Logical next step in 10-20-30 years? Terrorists have capabilities to hack the camera and SEE that you're targeting them as well as your direct position.

Plus there's the worry that a Wi-Fi broadcasting in an area with a bomb that will have a remote detonation device to it and could accidentally give off the same frequency and trigger said bomb.

Too many variables

That's a lot of ifs :P

Hacking into a well-secured bluetooth/WiFi link is much easier said than done, and while a WiFi-triggered bomb is a villainously crafty idea, it'd probably blow before the hypothetical terrorist even walked away from it, considering how many phones and other devices have WiFi these days.

Let's just hope this is one part of modern warfare that doesn't make it into competitive shooters. Headglitching was one thing, but this is just plain game-breaking.

Deathfish15:

Too many variables

If a headset set a bomb off, I'm pretty sure the moment the terrorist attached the Wi-Fi bomb 'sploder, it would go boom. The amount of phones and home wi-fi would probably trigger it far more than a simple headcam.

Not to mention that in a battle situation, not only is hacking into a headset going to be way harder than any sort of movie would ever make it seem, but if some terrorist pulls out their laptop and just starts hacking your headset, then he probably is just gonna get shot by the soldiers he's trying to hack.

Sorry mate, but you sound a bit ranty ravey conspiracy at the moment. The amount of variables...

So, we've got smartlinked weapons now?

Shadowrun is just around the corner. (Pun not intended).

Cerebrawl:
So, we've got smartlinked weapons now?

Shadowrun is just around the corner. (Pun not intended).

Working prototypes of this nature have existed for roughly 10-15 years, namely the OICW. It had a lot of things going against it, like heavy batteries to run the integrated camera system and the GPS system built into a rucksack frame. And from what I read, a chambered explosive round blew up and hurt some technicians during testing.

I so called it... Discussion about tracking point's $22k rifle

As cool as all of this tech is, I do not see a reason it should be available to civilians.

RatherDull:
Next up, smartlinking weapons

What do you mean 'next'? So happens the non-cyberware version in Shadowrun is a pair of goggles that tap right into the gun view, targeting reticle and all.

OT: Google, you idiots! Making shooting easier for gun-toting assholes is BAD.

FalloutJack:
[quote="RatherDull" post="7.851847.21062355"]

Google aren't the ones making the app, TrackingPoint are.

frobalt:

FalloutJack:

This doesn't counter the point so much as enhance it, as clearly Google's involvement is implicit: Their glasses, their money, their implementation of the app. So, more to blame in one feel swoop.

Frezzato:

Working prototypes of this nature have existed for roughly 10-15 years, namely the OICW. It had a lot of things going against it, like heavy batteries to run the integrated camera system and the GPS system built into a rucksack frame. And from what I read, a chambered explosive round blew up and hurt some technicians during testing.

The XM29 wasn't really a "shoot around corners" gun, though in theory it could have had that capability if they'd wanted to integrate it. Mostly it was a "shoot through windows/over walls" gun, designed to have timed fusing on airbursting grenades. In theory it was a great idea, but a few things pretty much axed it.

First, it was, as you mentioned, GAWDAWFUL heavy. When they canceled the program, they did so with the caveat that the individual portions of the system (the rifle and the grenade launcher) would be developed separately and recombined later if the weight could be brought down.

Second, it didn't work. The whole fancy bits with the fuses actually worked pretty much exactly as advertised, but the 20mm rounds they were using simply didn't pack enough punch to act as a replacement for the 40mm grenade launchers they were intended to replace, even with the advantages of having the grenade go off right were you want it.

I'm not sure if they ever had an XM29 explode on the test range, but I know they did have a double-feed incident in the XM25, which was the 25mm pure-grenade-launcher successor to the program. The grenades didn't detonate, but the primer/propellant did, which is one of those good news/bad news situations I suppose.

Particularly for the soldier who was firing it at the time.

On-Topic: This was a bit of a given, I think. If not TrackingPoint, someone else would have built in the same functionality to Glass. It's not Google's "fault", since they can't really control what apps people develop.

I suppose in theory they could block the sale of the app on Play, but that's not really an impediment for the Android platform, since it's trivially easy to install apps that aren't "Google-approved".

Raesvelg:

Actually, the capability to shoot around corners was integral to the OICW design under the Land Warrior program, seen here. The gun-mounted camera was tied in to a helmet-mounted video display.

Oddly enough, after looking up info on Land Warrior again, I found out that the Army gave old Land Warrior gear to 5th Stryker BCT to use in Iraq (team leaders only) and it seems that most if not all of the guys immediately removed the cameras. "The digital gun scope was abandoned - too cumbersome and too slow for urban fights," it was said.

I wonder if they would reconsider if Google Glass or something like it was used instead.

Frezzato:
[quote="Raesvelg" post="7.851847.21065353"]
Actually, the capability to shoot around corners was integral to the OICW design under the Land Warrior program, seen here. The gun-mounted camera was tied in to a helmet-mounted video display.

Oddly enough, after looking up info on Land Warrior again, I found out that the Army gave old Land Warrior gear to 5th Stryker BCT to use in Iraq (team leaders only) and it seems that most if not all of the guys immediately removed the cameras. "The digital gun scope was abandoned - too cumbersome and too slow for urban fights," it was said.

I wonder if they would reconsider if Google Glass or something like it was used instead.

Oh, I realize that it was ultimately intended to have the capability.

If Land Warrior had ever been adopted. As it was, the mockups of Land Warrior and the mockups of the OICW looked pretty good together, but they were being developed independently.

As such, it wasn't a huge jump to have the soldier be able to plug into the gun, but it wasn't an integral part of the design. The primary focus on the gun was in getting the major systems to work and not weigh too much. Which, sadly, didn't work out.

FalloutJack:

frobalt:

FalloutJack:

This doesn't counter the point so much as enhance it, as clearly Google's involvement is implicit: Their glasses, their money, their implementation of the app. So, more to blame in one feel swoop.

You really don't know what you're talking about, do you?

Google developed the hardware and software for the google glasses, but they've opened up that software so other people could develop for it.

Hell, there's potential for all sorts of malicious apps to be developed on them, but it doesn't mean it's google's fault if that happens - Google can't control all the software that goes on to it.

So why are you blaming google?

From the sounds of it, this software would be useful for military grade hardware, meaning it's less likely to end up in the hands of the public.

Even if it did end up in public hands, how useful do you think it would be for going on a rampage? I'm no expert in this, but people that go crazy and do a shooting spree tend to be the sort that don't expect to survive it and would be targeting unarmed people. Having to stop and use that to aim around corners would do nothing but slow them down.

frobalt:

From the sounds of it, this software would be useful for military grade hardware, meaning it's less likely to end up in the hands of the public.

TrackingPoint sells primary to civilians and private contractors, actually. They're also backlogged on orders to such a colossal degree that they don't even have a waiting list as such. They have you fill out an application so they can discuss your order with you.

Their systems also start at about ten thousand dollars.

The prospect of some maniac dropping ten grand to pick up a very expensive gun, then probably another thousand or so to give himself the ability to shoot around corners... eh. I'm not overly concerned.

frobalt:
Snip

You seem to have missed the point. Google shares responsibility by allowing it. Maybe all your fancy lawyers allow you to escape the wrath, but that doesn't mean you're not responsible. Think about it.

Google: Huh... Well, this could make any sort of person with a gun shoot around corners and/or with impunity, kind of like that one RPG game. Should I be worried about this?

*Stamps Approval!*

Google: Nope! I like money!

Businesses shouldn't do some of the things they do. They could say no. They don't. Big shrugs all around.

FalloutJack:

frobalt:
Snip

You seem to have missed the point. Google shares responsibility by allowing it. Maybe all your fancy lawyers allow you to escape the wrath, but that doesn't mean you're not responsible. Think about it.

Google: Huh... Well, this could make any sort of person with a gun shoot around corners and/or with impunity, kind of like that one RPG game. Should I be worried about this?

*Stamps Approval!*

Google: Nope! I like money!

Businesses shouldn't do some of the things they do. They could say no. They don't. Big shrugs all around.

You're once again showing how clueless you really are. I don't like guns either, but there's no point mindlessly hating on anything to do with them.

First of all, Google don't control every single app that goes onto their systems - They aren't Apple. So who says Google have even given this any sort of approval? Is this on the app store?

Secondly, even if it is on the app store, why is it a bad thing for Google? Only the people that have bought the appropriate guns would have any use for it. Also, if this sort of thing is legal, why shouldn't Google allow this sort of thing?

Thirdly, guns are legal in the USA, so if you've got an issues with guns likes this, then you're attacking the wrong people for it.

Lastly, what do you mean 'shares responsibility'? Shares responsibility for what? Some imagined tragedy you see happening?

I can't understand what bad use you think this'll be used for to be honest.

PS. I'm English and glad guns aren't legal here.

frobalt:
Zoop

Well then, I guess you don't know much about Google. Seems like they have complete control of whatever they own, demonstrated by how some of it screws up. And apparently I haven't shown you anything, since you misunderstood it. You read this as a wild mass gun-hate post, which is wrong. I'm FINE with guns. It's the people that use 'em that are the problem. And before you start, I'm not going into a gun law argument. The subject is Google, who are perfectly fine with letting the wrong people have an easier time of raising hell and indeed CAN say no because they own the ever-loving glasses. So, unless you believe anyone can do whatever they want with your actual PERSONAL property, I would would say your point holds no water with Google.

FalloutJack:

frobalt:
Zoop

Well then, I guess you don't know much about Google. Seems like they have complete control of whatever they own, demonstrated by how some of it screws up. And apparently I haven't shown you anything, since you misunderstood it. You read this as a wild mass gun-hate post, which is wrong. I'm FINE with guns. It's the people that use 'em that are the problem. And before you start, I'm not going into a gun law argument. The subject is Google, who are perfectly fine with letting the wrong people have an easier time of raising hell and indeed CAN say no because they own the ever-loving glasses. So, unless you believe anyone can do whatever they want with your actual PERSONAL property, I would would say your point holds no water with Google.

It sounds like you've just got a personal vendetta against Google.

I'm not even sure what your argument is since you're not making any sense whatsoever.

Are you saying you don't like Google because they let people do what they want with their own property or the other way around?

Also, you're giving hate to Google because of software that helps with shooting, it's not illogical that the reason you are doing so is because of gun control - Especially since you haven't provided any reason for your hate.

frobalt:

No. That is not stated either. I'm sorry, but please read again.

FalloutJack:

frobalt:

No. That is not stated either. I'm sorry, but please read again.

Why don't you just spell it out for me? You're being too vague. All I know is you have a problem with this app and are taking it out on Google.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here