Azeroth Choppers Reveals Winning World of Warcraft Motorcycle

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Azeroth Choppers Reveals Winning World of Warcraft Motorcycle

Community voting has decided which faction-specific motorcycle will become an in-game mount in the Warlords of Draenor expansion.

Over the last eight weeks, Blizzard's web series Azeroth Choppers has shown the process of design, fabrication, painting, and assembly for two custom motorcycles. Working with custom motorcycle design teams at Paul Jr Designs, Blizzard had one Alliance-themed bike and one Horde-themed bike created. The completed motorcycles, unveiled last week, were put to a vote from the Blizzard community to determine the winning bike. The votes have now been tallied, and the clear winner is the Horde chopper. The imposing bike, with bone tusks and tractor treads, will be recreated as an in-game mount for the Warlords of Draenor expansion for World of Warcraft. The mount will be free for all Horde players.

"At Blizzard, we all work very hard coming up with cool new things to put into World of Warcraft," says Blizzard President and CEO Mike Morhaime. "Collaborating with Paul Jr. and his team has given us an opportunity to do just that, but it's also given us an opportunity to give our community a chance to decide what goes into the game."

The two motorcycles were fabricated and assembled by the teams at Paul Jr Designs over five weeks. "I had so much to work with from a creative standpoint. The guys at Blizzard have been great," says Paul Jr. "To do these tandemly, to have Horde and Alliance builds going on at the same time, was absolutely one of the toughest things we've ever had to do, but also one of the most rewarding. At the end of the day, all we wanted to do was bridge the gap between fantasy and reality, and I think we may have done that." Paul Jr. Designs is the motorcycle design company behind the television series American Chopper. The motorcycle teams at Paul Jr. Designs were helped by Blizzard teams led by Chris Metzen, Blizzard Entertainment's Senior Vice President of Story and Franchise Development and Sam Didier, Art Director at Blizzard. Metzen headed the Alliance team while Didier headed the Horde team.

You can watch all eight episodes of the Azeroth Choppers online. What do you think about the results? Did the Horde bike deserve to win?

Source: Blizzard

Of course Horde win. It's no secret that the Horde is the most popular faction in World of Warcraft. Hell, even Blizzard make it strikingly obvious that Orcs are their favorite race.

I much prefer the lesser known competition, Azeroth Herbalists.

Dexterity:
Of course Horde win. It's no secret that the Horde is the most popular faction in World of Warcraft. Hell, even Blizzard make it strikingly obvious that Orcs are their favorite race.

Actually most (if not all) census methods have consistently shown that since the beginning that The Alliance has had more members than The Horde.

BoogieManFL:

Actually most (if not all) census methods have consistently shown that since the beginning that The Alliance has had more members than The Horde.

Humans were shown to be the most played race, but otherwise, Horde are generally more popular.

BoogieManFL:

Dexterity:

http://www.warcraftrealms.com/census.php

Yep, 57% of the player base is Alliance. But the Horde player base is more active and dedicated I think, so they could get more people to vote.

As a former 'Hordes Angel' I gotta say, good choice.

Because who the fuck plays Alliance.

PunkRex:

Also because the tracked front wheel and scimitars on the Alliance bike just looked really really silly.

Awesome, I'm glad it won. It was definitely the better looking bike.

Meh. I hoped after the recent Garrosh reverting the Horde to what it was in the First and Second Wars the Horde would be steering away from the more "Brutal" looking things.

PunkRex:

Generally the more friendly and less frothing at the mouth arsehole portion of the playerbase.

Anyways, this came as no surprise. There were issues with the voting regardless, even Metzen didn't seem to show much or any "oomph" when he tried shouting "For the Alliance", and the screaming "LOK'TAR OGAR" types would spent every waking moment of their lives smashing their skull against the "Vote" button to ensure Horde victory.

Ha. It's no surprise that the Horde won (seriously, at this point I'm amazed that Alliance players bothered to vote at all), but I think it's poor taste to give half of the player-base absolutely nothing.

Alliance player, I voted Horde.

That Alliance bike looks like garbage, I'm going to hate having to see it everywhere when Blizzard inevitably adds it into the game as well.

Everyone knew the Horde bike was going to win. This week's episode was only necessary because it gave people a legit reason to spam the forums with their faction nonsense.

The Horde simply has more faction pride. A vanilla player once mused that the Horde's faction pride developed due to the Horde having "nothing" lore-wise during Vanilla and the WC series.

I thought they both looked stupid and are outclassed by the in-game Mechano-hog and Mekgineers Chopper, but opinions

Attelia:
Everyone knew the Horde bike was going to win. This week's episode was only necessary because it gave people a legit reason to spam the forums with their faction nonsense.

The Horde simply has more faction pride. A vanilla player once mused that the Horde's faction pride developed due to the Horde having "nothing" lore-wise during Vanilla and the WC series.

I thought they both looked stupid and are outclassed by the in-game Mechano-hog and Mekgineers Chopper, but opinions

Only problem is that they did have a central leader they can rally behind, plus they were the "darling" of Blizzard even back then, considering it was Saurfang leading the forces at Ahn'Qiraj and a large swathe of memes were made about horde characters, Metzen gushed about Thrall and the devs themselves seemed to focus on how "great" the Horde was.

Considering Blizzard showed this at Blizzcon and it took 'em a while to spit out something that BARELY amounted to an apology ("We're sorry Alliance players couldn't take a joke" essentially) it's really not surprising.

^--- Pretty much your average Horde player. Granted it needs more of a "hero" complex and smug sense of superiority... well, -more- smug than it already is.

Witty Name Here:

PunkRex:

Generally the more friendly and less frothing at the mouth arsehole portion of the playerbase.

Anyways, this came as no surprise. There were issues with the voting regardless, even Metzen didn't seem to show much or any "oomph" when he tried shouting "For the Alliance", and the screaming "LOK'TAR OGAR" types would spent every waking moment of their lives smashing their skull against the "Vote" button to ensure Horde victory.

Easy buddy, I was just quote spamming, I played Alliance once... for a little while. Granted Alli's end game community can't be any worse then Hordes, got reeeeeeeeal frustrating.

Sadly, it doesn't surprise me that the Horde bike won. The Horde tends to have more of the "dedicated" playerbase, which ranges from "True Horde Pride" types that we all remember raising such a stink when the Blood Elves came to join, and the "Horde = Hardcore" trollish types who migrate especially to PVP servers; the proverbial t-bagging Forsaken Rogue named KORPESKILLZU.

From a more technical perspective, I think the Alliance bike as more ornate and well build. For instance, being a two-wheeled (or two-tracked) bike seemed more to my liking than the trike setup of the Horde one. The armor plating was a nice look as well. While both bikes were clearly well-crafted, the one thing that perhaps bothered me the most is that both of them were more "Human Bike" and "Orc Bike" aesthetic, rather than encompassing a significant aesthetic from every race in each faction. It is in this element that I feel the Alliance bike was clearly the winner, in that it included the "Night Elf Arrows", purple trim and more to take it just beyond a single race aesthetic. The Horde bike was the standard "Orcish Horde" through and through. I think it should have been a stipulation of the contest that both bikes had to take into account significant design elements from every racial member of the Alliance and Horde, which I think would have led to more interesting designs.

As far as the ramifications of the players are concerned, I honestly expected them to put both bikes into the game no matter which won, so it is a bit disappointing if this doesn't occur.

I love how the Alliance bike loses and all the Alliance players come in and start smugly trash talking Horde and claiming that all Hordies are some group of elitist and unfriendly asswipes. I've met more friendly and dedicated players in my years playing Horde than I ever did on Alliance.

I raid with a Heroic guild on Horde and also on Alliance on two separate toons and I'll be honest, the raiding is better on Horde. The players are just more skilled and passionate. Meanwhile the Alliance is full of smug teenagers ond old folks that think they're better than Horde.

Either way, the better bike won. Excuse me while I cheese the belts on Heroic Siegecrafter on my Orc Warlock.

Grats to the winners. Personally didn't bother to vote because I thought the whole thing was a bit silly (scimitars and tusks, really). Doesn't matter because I'm one of those weird people that rather rides on dragons than motorcycles ^^

VanQ:
I love how the Alliance bike loses and all the Alliance players come in and start smugly trash talking Horde and claiming that all Hordies are some group of elitist and unfriendly asswipes. I've met more friendly and dedicated players in my years playing Horde than I ever did on Alliance.

I raid with a Heroic guild on Horde and also on Alliance on two separate toons and I'll be honest, the raiding is better on Horde. The players are just more skilled and passionate. Meanwhile the Alliance is full of smug teenagers ond old folks that think they're better than Horde.

Either way, the better bike won. Excuse me while I cheese the belts on Heroic Siegecrafter on my Orc Warlock.

Pot kettle black.

VanQ:

This is the only part of your post I take umbridge with-but I stopped playing back in January, so for all I know the warlock got changed up enough to make optimal belt runners. Back when I was running I couldn't do the belt to save my life on normal, never mind heroic. Guild I was raiding with was having all sorts of issues and it was meh at best.

As for the Alliance v. Horde debate, having played both I can honestly say I had a better time on the Horde side, the times I enjoyed the Alliance side was usually with people who, like me, were curious about the alliance side. So, frankly, I find it hard to say which side is the better one. I just know I've met some really cool people and some real fucking pieces of shit on both sides.

On topic however, I find them both to be ugly bikes. But I like simplistic and minimalistic approaches to aesthetics. So, my opinion is a bit tainted.

Cecilo:
Meh. I hoped after the recent Garrosh reverting the Horde to what it was in the First and Second Wars the Horde would be steering away from the more "Brutal" looking things.

Looking at it purely from the perspective of Lore, the orcs are still warriors at heart. The Trolls and the Taurahe are native-esque tribes, though of vastly different (real world) origins. And the Goblins are, well, dude their Goblins, I'm pretty sure that says it all. I'm not surprised the more "Rough and Gritty" side of the design continued. Granted Garrosh started a heavily warmongering side of the horde again, but lets not forget, we found him being a coward in Nagrand, living in his fathers shadow. It wasn't until Saurfang took him under his wing that he started to show true leadership skills and a moral sense of Honor. As opposed to what he's become, a hollow shell of an orc trying desperately to relive his fathers past glories and failures.

Vareoth:

Pot kettle black.

Did you miss the part where I said I play both factions with dedicated toons? I've played both factions since launch and it's my honest opinion that Alliance has this smug attitude towards the Horde.

Ninmecu:

VanQ:

This is the only part of your post I take umbridge with-but I stopped playing back in January, so for all I know the warlock got changed up enough to make optimal belt runners. Back when I was running I couldn't do the belt to save my life on normal, never mind heroic. Guild I was raiding with was having all sorts of issues and it was meh at best.

The changes to Warlocks haven't been huge but Destruction is a more than viable spec for belts now. You can use your Glyphed Eye of Gul'Dan to drop your personal portal on the belt and get up there for every single one. With clever use of cooldowns I can do more damage to the Deconstructed Machinery than the Hunters in my group can. It's a hell of a lot of fun, though from what I've noticed, most people tend to do the belts grudgingly.

VanQ:

Vareoth:

Pot kettle black.

Did you miss the part where I said I play both factions with dedicated toons? I've played both factions since launch and it's my honest opinion that Alliance has this smug attitude towards the Horde.

No I didn't miss that part. Its absolutely fine that you prefer the Horde over the Alliance. Personally I had a good time playing Alliance most of the time. I just thought it was a bit funny when you spoke against trash talking the Horde and then continued by saying that the Alliance are full of children and elitists.

It was just meant as a quick jape. Didn't mean any insult.

VanQ:

And experience has shown that the Horde is a collective of the douchiest players WoW has to offer, that only attract like-minded "jerk jock" types that spend their day screaming "FOR THE HORDE" and smugly proclaiming that the Horde is "clearly" the more mature faction than those "Filthy alliance QQers", mostly to draw attention from the fact they're essentially a collective of sweaty man-children.

The Alliance players are more friendly, approachable, and relaxed. The best part is you don't have to wear black and red old stained underwear to "fit in" among the Alliance.

EDIT: But, as I said before, that Corpsegrinder video is pretty much the most accurate depiction of the Horde playerbase. Someone tells you a Horde player, theeeeeeen that's basically what you can expect.

Vareoth:

No I didn't miss that part. Its absolutely fine that you prefer the Horde over the Alliance. Personally I had a good time playing Alliance most of the time. I just thought it was a bit funny when you spoke against trash talking the Horde and then continued by saying that the Alliance are full of children and elitists.

It was just meant as a quick jape. Didn't mean any insult.

I didn't take offense, no worries. Besides, we have a perfect example of what I'm talking about right here:

Witty Name Here:

And experience has shown that the Horde is a collective of the douchiest players WoW has to offer, that only attract like-minded "jerk jock" types that spend their day screaming "FOR THE HORDE" and smugly proclaiming that the Horde is "clearly" the more mature faction than those "Filthy alliance QQers", mostly to draw attention from the fact they're essentially a collective of sweaty man-children.

The Alliance players are more friendly, approachable, and relaxed. The best part is you don't have to wear black and red old stained underwear to "fit in" among the Alliance.

EDIT: But, as I said before, that Corpsegrinder video is pretty much the most accurate depiction of the Horde playerbase. Someone tells you a Horde player, theeeeeeen that's basically what you can expect.

Thanks for proving my point. There are douches on both factions and I've never once heard any Horde player claim to be more mature than the Alliance, though it has always been a sentiment my Alliance friends have held. I don't know if you were unfortunate enough to have your only experience of Horde be on Illidan server or something but their community is an example of an exception to the rule. Hell, the biggest Douchebags in Illidan history, know for being the douchiest server, were Alliance. Serenity Now and Gnomeland Security may be long gone but no one has topped their levels of trolling since.

Shame, the horde bike was the weaker looking one to be honest.

VanQ:

Thanks for proving my point. There are douches on both factions and I've never once heard any Horde player claim to be more mature than the Alliance, though it has always been a sentiment my Alliance friends have held. I don't know if you were unfortunate enough to have your only experience of Horde be on Illidan server or something but their community is an example of an exception to the rule. Hell, the biggest Douchebags in Illidan history, know for being the douchiest server, were Alliance. Serenity Now and Gnomeland Security may be long gone but no one has topped their levels of trolling since.

Well that's odd, didn't get a message that you quoted me.

Regardless, I actually played Argent Dawn when I first joined the game. Made a human warrior and an Orc warrior, would play both characters and pick whichever faction "felt" right, I wanted it to be "fair" so to not grow attached to the characters I gave 'em random appearances and random names.

...It took barely a week for me to see what Horde players were like. And if "douches on both sides" means "Horde players and horde players' Alliance alts" then I totally agree in that regard.

The simple fact of the matter is regardless of server, the Horde is a terrible community. One that Blizzard, unfortunately, caters to with their every breath. While they may go out of their way to ensure the entitled Horde players feel pride at the Alliance player base's expense, at the very least I can say with pride that we're not the faction that assaults people at Blizzcon:

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/3424466214

nor acts like screaming, homophobic maniacs:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cW_Lv0r-l4c

and hey, we don't have to act like glorified apes hypocritically claiming the Alliance "deserved" something as horrendous Cataclysm than whined when we were going to "lose" Mists (in spite of Garrosh being a scape goat and the horde getting off scott free)

Yeah yeah.. Horde is more popular and we know why

I would not play alliance. Hell I recently bought a mystery gaming shirt 2 pack of which one was an alliance shirt that immediately got sold to the kid next door. But even with how lame the alliance is, Honestly I think the horde bike is a joke in comparison.

Now bear with me before you gather the pitchforks and boil the tar.

Just being objective here, the horde bike is exactly that.... Just another motor cycle with some expensive theme job, in this case one specific to a faction to WoW. Pretty much no different than thousands of custom jobs out there. The Ally Bike is bizarre, visually unsettling and dare I say more unique.

They both have their own "cool" factors, but the Horde bike is more likely only going to appeal to those intimately familiar with WoW and moreover the horde faction. Whereas the ally bike with its odd layout, dual tracks, carapace looking sections, ect would have muuuuch more potential to "WoW" a casual observer with no knowledge or connection to WoW or even gaming. All things being equal, the Ally bike pushes the envelop of what can be visually appealing therefore the level of aesthetic quality ascends beyond the context of the contest, which as far as I see has the two bikes playing in two different leagues.

tl;dr
Basically appreciation for the horde bike would extend about as far as WoW fans, whereas appreciation for the ally bike has MUCH more potential to appeal just about anyone who has interest in motorcycles.

Edit: Honestly the only thing I see that looks negative on the ally bike is the stupid scimitar shaped fork guards, but in all fairness, I have the exact same complaint about the horde bikes Tusk guards, both of which take something that looks aggressive and imposing, and makes it look downright childish and goofy.

But meh... who cares.. they are just mock ups to be imported into polygonal digitized form for two factions of a game that took a less mature, cartoonish, PG-13-ish approach to the normally serious business that is medieval fantasy setting. So perhaps they are idea for the intended demographic.

viranimus:
Yeah yeah.. Horde is more popular and we know why

Except that the Horde (as a whole) isn't really evil, they are just different. Likewise the Alliance isn't "good" as they can be just as raciest, hateful, and blood thirsty as the Horde.

What initially pushed toward the Horde was because of their diversity. On the Alliance it was your bog standard fantasy races of boring humans, dwarves, elves, and gnomes. Meanwhile you had awesome Taurens,undead, trolls and orcs that were all far more interesting to me. Beyond that the feeling of the Alliance being smug self righteous assholes also pushed me away from them. Both sides are not clear cut good or evil but I just felt more at home with the Horde than with the Alliance.

So alliance players are screwed over entirely basically. Great job blizzard you assholes.

oh there's a surprise...this is honestly my surprised face...the fact that it looks like my completely unsurprised face is purely coincidental.

"The mount will be free for all Horde players."
Whaaaaaat? Surely EVERYONE should be allowed to GET it, right? Maybe Alliance pays some gold?
Otherwise; Blizz, you're acting like massive assholes!

I'm not surprised that the Horde bike won. Hell, it would've won even if it DIDN'T look far better than the Alliance bike: the Horde has ALWAYS been the 'favoured' faction, both by Blizzard, and the playerbase at large.

Surely the Alliance will get the bike too, though. The Horde already HAS a trike and it's own version of the chopper, so this new mount seems almost superfluous.

gamegod25:

Except that the Horde (as a whole) isn't really evil, they are just different. Likewise the Alliance isn't "good" as they can be just as racist, hateful, and blood thirsty as the Horde.

What initially pushed toward the Horde was because of their diversity. On the Alliance it was your bog standard fantasy races of boring humans, Dwarves, elves, and gnomes. Meanwhile you had awesome Taurens,undead, trolls and orcs that were all far more interesting to me. Beyond that the feeling of the Alliance being smug self righteous assholes also pushed me away from them. Both sides are not clear cut good or evil but I just felt more at home with the Horde than with the Alliance.

Please forgive the facetious setup at the offset in order to justify referencing a line from a classic comedy film. All just for the chuckles.

Just to touch on the dichotomy, I get that if you dig deep enough the horde and ally are just different flavors of grey, but the core the notion of ally good/horde evil stems from logical role play context akin to those standard fantasy settings as the more "humanoid" races would see themselves as valiant heroes and look at the horde as subhuman beasts, abominations and the tainted souls. They undoubtedly would see them as warlike savages which would have to be at the heart of what spawned the animosity to begin with. More to the point while the Horde may more existential realists about their nature and do not try to portray themselves as good or evil whereas the races of the alliance, despite all their racism, hatred and blood lust they delude themselves into thinking they embody nobility, virtue and put themselves on the side of "good".

By virtue of one faction identifying as "the good guys" it unavoidably puts the whole good vs evil trope into play. Be it rational or not. Any thinking individual might be able to see the hypocrisy and moral ambiguity no true good or evil, but from a sociological perspective regarding a fictional fantasy faction, good and evil still very much colors group behavior, at least for the one faction anyway.

Also forgive the philosophizing and silly over analysis.

Captcha: Hard captcha is hard.
You know captcha, you can totally take a break, No one is going to complain if you let kinda lazy about doing your job.

I am a Horde player, but I still voted for the Alliance bike.

I thought it looked cooler, but eh the Horde bike still good cool.
(I will still be using my Sparkle mount though).

I really liked the shiny bits on the Alliance bike, especially the emblem in the front and would have liked to see it translated into the game. I could have done without the treads or scimitars. The Horde bike typified everything about the Horde: brutal, loud, and redolent in red and black.

People have commented on the Horde players. I've played both Horde and Alliance since the second beta (remember before Taurens had mounts?) and there are rude people on both sides and genuinely nice ones as well. I suppose it depends on what you're trying to get out of it. People who focus solely on the end game content and raid all the time are very different from people who play as a family for fun. Raiders are brusque, impatient, arrogant and judgmental. Casuals are uncoordinated, inattentive, are frequently interrupted by real life, and sometimes a bit thick. Raider are also dedicated, professional (if such a term can be used), and display ingenuity and perseverance. Casuals are friendly, accepting, patient, and easy-going. I am of course speaking in generalities but I just wanted to highlight the dichotomies in the game. You can find both to be true for Horde and Alliance, raiders and casuals alike. All in all, I prefer the Alliance. I love their take on Dwarves (I especially like the Bronzebeard brothers and the Wildhammers), and I love the technological insanity of the Gnomes.) I still have a lot of respect for the Tauren on the Horde side. They seem to have the wisdom the other races lack.

I have always found it more interesting that while Blizzard has favored the Horde for so many years, to include that pathetic display at Blizzcon 2011, that story-wise The Horde is portrayed in a much more negative light.

Everything from the Forsaken concocting plagues and using Valkyries to create more undead (by killing everyone else), to the "True Horde" going raving nanners and Garrosh killing Cairn Bloodhoof (don't give me that garbage about how it was a mistake and Magathra Grimtotem poisoned Garrosh's axe. The only reason Cairne was in combat with Garrosh in the first place was that he was killing druids), the Blood Elves enslaving Naaru and turning to Burning Legion as a new source of magic, to the Goblin's strip mining and pollution all show the greed and shortsighted goals of the Horde. The only Horde races portrayed as noble are the Tauren and Pandaran (which I consider neither Horde or Alliance). I have a lot of respect for Thrall though; He just wanted to make a home for his people and return them to their shamanistic roots. Too much to ask for I guess.

In contrast the Alliance's worse crime is leveled at the Human King Varian Wrynn, who has been known to call Orcs mongrels and dogs and see them as subhuman. Not the best qualities to have but as far as the story goes, he was enslaved by Orcs and made to fight in a gladiator Arena. I don't think I'd like them much after that either. He really got mad in WoLK going as far as to say "Kill em all." In Cataclysm the Ally/Horde War was renewed and he pretty much kept that same tone which was also mirrored in Garrosh. In MoP it seems like events have transpired that have tempered the Kings Anger. If you read the comics and books, he does something that takes away some of that anger and balances him out. His overriding emotion in MoP is concern for his son. If anything the character Admiral Taylor has supplanted him as prime Jerk of the Alliance. In fact if you play the Scenarios in MoP and listen to the King's dialogue he has grown much wiser and more concerned with unity in the Alliance.

That all being said, as much I as love the lore and story, it's all just fantasy from a pretend game. I'm sure a diehard Horde player could spin a tale putting his favored faction in the more positive light too. Rivalry is fine, but when it spills out the fantasy world and into the real world and is encouraged by the makers of the fantasy world, it's not cute or thematic. It's thuggery.

Now if you'll excuse me, I have to get back to playing Hello Kitty Island Adventure.

Played Alliance for the most part but we had a great international guild who didn't take it all seriously so had some great raids, felt at ease and even met up in real life for a curry (even the folks from Europe came).
I do like my horde characters also and find for the most part pick up groups are far better hordeside.
I don't have an active account at the moment but will restart again when the new expansion comes out for a few months, I generally level a character on both sides as the story arcs are the main draw for me. Instances and raids don't really hold any interest for me anymore, but will probably PUG a few anyway.

I preferred the Horde Bike as the front/rear inline tracks on the alliance one looked weird. The half track on the Horde one looked right especially as it was a trike too. The horde one also had the whole feral/animal look which really worked as that's the horde's schtick. I liked the armour plated look on the alliance one but didn't feel it did enough, think a bit of gnome tech or magic (glowy neon) would have raised it up more.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here