World's Largest Game Collection For Sale: 11,000+ Titles Could Be Yours

World's Largest Game Collection For Sale: 11,000+ Titles Could Be Yours

The world record holder is passing on the baton, and the new record holder won't have to spend three decades building up a collection.

Back in 2012 Michael Thomasson became a Guinness World Record holder with his collection of 10,607 unique video games, and he's been adding to his hoard ever since. Now family commitments force him to part with all his darlings, and he's selling off every single one - including the Guinness certificate - at auction. In 9 days and a few hours someone else will be the world record holder, "without three plus decades of meticulous hunting," Thomasson says.

How do you become a world record holder? You manage a gaming store, of course; in Thomasson's case several of them, including Good Deal Games' online market since 1998, which allowed him to snag the best titles as they came through the door. Many items in his collection are completely pristine, box plus manual, and over 2,600 still have the factory shrink-wrap on them.

The high bid at time of writing is $50,000, and bids increase by $250 minimum, while the reserve has yet to be met. This isn't the first time Thomasson has had to sell his darlings; the last time he liquidated his collection, it was to pay for his wedding back in 1998. Not that this sale marks his withdrawal from the hobby he's enjoyed for more than 35 years. "I love games and they are pivotal part of my identity," he says. "I will continue to champion them."

But needs must. There are bills to pay, and this is the best way to raise cash. "No worries," Thomasson says, "I've sold my collection many times in the past and still managed to capture Guinness' attention, and it is entirely possible that I may again."

Source: Gamegavel.com

Gamestop: I'll take it for 10 dollars!

RatherDull:

No no no, that's only if he has a coupon and is a Power Rewards member. Without all that it'll come down to $3.75 for them all. :P

OT: It must be hard to have to part with a collection, especially one that took 30 years to build.

As cynical as this sounds, I reckon he'd find it easier to pay the bills if he didn't spend so much money on games.

I am curious how much profit he'll get from this though, if he gets any.

I wonder if Guiness will give the buyer a new record if they have games that aren't in the collection.

Karloff:
But needs must. There are bills to pay, and this is the best way to raise cash.

Is that a saying? Or just an incomplete sentence? Not trying to be a jerk, I'm honestly asking. It sounds like it could be a saying, but I've never heard it.

OT: How many of those games are worth nothing, as opposed to how many rare/valuable games are there? Current bid would mean less than $5 per game average. I wonder what the reserve is.

id suggest that in a sense no real "collector" really wants to just buy anothers...

because...in very real sense...where's the fun in that ?

the having is only part of it.

the having doesn't give you say...the same as picking up a mint Shadow of the Colossus in a thrift store or something...

now "a pick"...from someone else's collection...that's an entirely different matter...

Avaholic03:

Karloff:
But needs must. There are bills to pay, and this is the best way to raise cash.

Is that a saying? Or just an incomplete sentence? Not trying to be a jerk, I'm honestly asking. It sounds like it could be a saying, but I've never heard it.

'Needs must when the devil drives', often shortened to 'needs must'.

edit: http://www.encyclopedia.com/doc/1O214-needsmustwhenthedevildrvs.html

Maybe it's just me, but 10,000 seems kinda small for "biggest game collection ever"? There are a lot, lot more games out there, and you'd think someone would go even larger than this?

I wonder if he could sell the entire collection for more than he could re-buy the individual components? I mean, this is a guiness record collection after all. One purchase and you hold the title (for at least a few seconds).

Adam Locking:
Maybe it's just me, but 10,000 seems kinda small for "biggest game collection ever"? There are a lot, lot more games out there, and you'd think someone would go even larger than this?

Ten thousand is no easy aquisition. You would never...NEVER have time to play them all.

For the record, the current highest bidder is the guy who made Oculus and sold it for $2 billion, so go ahead and try to compete with him.

FalloutJack:

Adam Locking:

Ten thousand is no easy aquisition. You would never...NEVER have time to play them all.

Well, if a millionaire won the auction who never has to work, I'd say he could do it. It would probably take years, but it's possible.

Ultimate game collection, doesn't even have Sonic the Hedgehog 3, Super Mario All-Stars, Super Metroid, Star Fox 64... how could a collection this big be missing so many common games?

P.S. Thanks

In the first pictures I see some newer games, but in later pics I see old, rare games and imports. He better not be selling of his collections every 15 years just to build it back up. If I were him, I would keep all the really rare ones unless the bills are putting a lot of pressure on me. The more accidents and little kids/ignorant brothers, cousins, friend, wives or girlfriend ripping open a mint in box ultra rare Super Famicom game or spilling their beer on it, the more those rare game go up in value.

Alterego-X:
For the record, the current highest bidder is the guy who made Oculus and sold it for $2 billion, so go ahead and try to compete with him.

Wow, if it really is the oculus guy that bid might actually get paid. Color me shocked. Of course odds are since this is all over the internet sites some jackass is probably going to run it up sky high just to see all the stories talk about it and then stiff him. Still $50k was more than I ever thought he'd get.

Damn, he has a Nintendo 64DD...
...but only one title for it, Mario Artist Paint Studio.

I was pretty bored last night when I was reading about this guy, so I copied the list of game titles into Excel (not the one linked in the article, I mean the other page. That page "only" lists 7,218 titles, so there's quite a few that aren't listed. It's interesting how many different consoles/handhelds he owns, a total of 103.

Hmm, something wrong with sorting in Excel. Anyway.

Sleekit:
id suggest that in a sense no real "collector" really wants to just buy anothers...

because...in very real sense...where's the fun in that ?

the having is only part of it.

You'd be surprised. There are entire communities that are pretty much just about acquisition via any method, the actual collection portion being buried under a sea of "Look what I got, it only cost $$$$$!"

FalloutJack:

Adam Locking:

Time to PLAY them all? Sure you would.

Time to FINISH them all (or even finish the tutorials)? No. :)

But if you played each game for only 5 minutes...long enough to count as "playing"...I'm sure it could be done. Well...as long as you're not continually adding new games to the collection as you go.

frobalt:
As cynical as this sounds, I reckon he'd find it easier to pay the bills if he didn't spend so much money on games.

I am curious how much profit he'll get from this though, if he gets any.

I wonder if Guiness will give the buyer a new record if they have games that aren't in the collection.

Well yes.. He could simply not buy the games, but then he wouldn't really be a collector, would he?

If I didn't spend money on anything but the bare essentials, I too would have more than enough money to pay my bills, the whole point is a bit stupid, don't you think?

And he's selling the Guinness certificate with the games, so that means the record holder would become the new owner. I guess he's technically not going to have anything to show for his 30 year collection other than being able to say "I used to own 11000 videogames".

You guys really need to stop with these slideshows. Just use scroll.

Could possibly worth the investment. With the way the industry is headed and most the distribution platforms are hell bent in changing it, this might end up a record that becomes impossible to beat as the number of titles one can potentially own evolves into a fixed number.

Kuala BangoDango:

FalloutJack:

Adam Locking:

But if you played each game for only 5 minutes...long enough to count as "playing"...I'm sure it could be done. Well...as long as you're not continually adding new games to the collection as you go.

Ah, to me, playing means long enough to really get into it, to enjoy yourself. It may mean finishing if it's not long.

Forget playing them all, where are you going to PUT all that stuff? Can't imagine how much space that all needs.

I just... wow, I. Please say there's more to it than "family commitments" for the reason he's giving a collection that large up. I know one can't finish all of those games but to give them up is just madness o_o

Just for the record, Ludum Dare 48h game jam generates over 2000 games every time it's organized nowadays, with a total of about 17000 games made so far..

thats a nice collection. somone notify James Rolfe about it, he looks interested.

BlumiereBleck:
You guys really need to stop with these slideshows. Just use scroll.

But how would they be able to serve you 7 successive autoplaying jeep video ads? Escapist seems to be doing everything it can to maximize the ads loaded.

Neronium:

RatherDull:

No no no, that's only if he has a coupon and is a Power Rewards member. Without all that it'll come down to $3.75 for them all. :P

OT: It must be hard to have to part with a collection, especially one that took 30 years to build.

Well, just by their policies, they wouldn't pay a dime for any game that wasn't, at least, from the last generation. So, this all is actually closer to the truth than most would think.

FalloutJack:

Kuala BangoDango:

FalloutJack:

Ah, to me, playing means long enough to really get into it, to enjoy yourself. It may mean finishing if it's not long.

If you devoted 5 hours to each game and played an average of 12 hours a day we're talking just under 12 years.

So if you have no job (and dropping that much money on a collection suggests you don't need to work for it) you totally could. It would be completely unbearable but it's totally humanly possible.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here