George RR Martin Sells Chance to Die in His Books for Charity

George RR Martin Sells Chance to Die in His Books for Charity

George RR Martin

Two fans have already snapped up the chance to have their fictitious selves murdered by Martin for a cool $20,000.

If you're good at something never do it for free, or so the saying goes. And boy, is George RR Martin good at murdering fictional characters.

Fans of novel series Song of Ice and Fire and its HBO TV adaptation Game of Thrones were made an offer by creator Martin this week to encourage them to donate to a fundraiser he's supporting. One of the top prizes? Having a character based on yourself be written into an upcoming Ice and Fire book and, in true Westeros fashion, being brutally murdered.

Martin extended the offer to the first male fan and first female fan who made a donation at the $20,000 "Martyr" level. And surprisingly - or not, depending on how you feel about being at the mercy of Martin's quill - both of the grisly prizes have now been sold. The description of the prize states that the winner "can choose your character's station in the world (lordling, knight, peasant, whore, lady, maester, septon, anything) and you will certainly meet a grisly death!"

The fundraising is supporting two organizations in Martin's home state of New Mexico, the Wild Spirit Wolf Sanctuary and The Food Depot of Santa Fe.

And if you're disappointed about not getting the chance to be a part of Game of Thrones history, all donors to the charity still get the chance to win a day with Martin himself. A donation of any amount enters the donor in a contest for them and a friend to be flown to Santa Fe, from anywhere in the world, where they will take a helicopter ride of the wolf sanctuary alongside Martin.

Other top prizes up for grabs - all claimed in the day since the fundraiser went live - included Martin's trademark hat for $7,500, tickets to the season five premiere of Game of Thrones, and a script of the first episode of the TV series signed by cast and crew. The fundraiser, currently at $259,759 of its $200,000 goal, is on the Prizeo website for the next 59 days. Click the link below to donate.

Source: Prizeo via Daily Mail

DAMN!

I so would have bought that death if I'd had the chance! My one chance at paradoxical immortality lost.

Being a character in Game of Thrones, quite possibly the only thing more dangerous than being an Imperial Guardsman

aaawwww i wanna die in his books

What absolute arrogance. GRR Martin never ceases to amaze me.

"You get to die in MY book if you donate to a cause IIIIIIIIII support because IIIII say so."

And people eat this shit up. Jesus almighty.

Can't say I'm happy with where this is going. I wish GRR Martin had finished writing the books before all the hype and craze of the HBO series started taking over.

Jacco:

"You get to die in MY book if you donate to a cause IIIIIIIIII support because IIIII say so."

Oh lighten up. He's donating to charity, fans get to have the fun of dying in his book, everyone wins. What's the downside?

That's...actually a pretty cool idea. Granted, I'm not a fan of Game of Thrones at all, but talk about a killer prize (no pun intended, honest). I think this is probably one of the most original and inspired donation prizes I've ever heard of.

So let's say I win the drawing and get to spend a day with ol' George. Do you think it would be ok for me to insist that instead of lunch and a nice day out we instead spend the entire day inside while I browse the internet on my Galaxy tablet and he works on Winds of Winter breaking only sparingly for bologna sammiches and Mountain Dew.

kajinking:
Being a character in Game of Thrones, quite possibly the only thing more dangerous than being an Imperial Guardsman

I dunno man, what some of those Xenos do to the members of the Imperium (and others) are pretty gnarly. And that's not even mentioning what the forces of Chaos can do to those who are captured, transfigured, or have their souls brutally mangled in different ways.

Or, better yet, what the Imperium does to it's own members!

So if several hundred people donate, he'll have to address each one by name and how they die... that'd be a book by itself.

The more you keep paying this guy, the more storylines continue to not be resolved.

But the joke's on us. He'll be dead before he even has to do it.

Jacco:

What is this I don't even. It would be arrogant if he had people pay HIM to do it, but he's doing the event for charity, and it wasn't even his idea to have people die in his book. It's opposite from arrogant.

erttheking:

Jacco:

Oh lighten up. He's donating to charity, fans get to have the fun of dying in his book, everyone wins. What's the downside?

He is successful and using his success to HELP OTHER PEOPLE.

How do you not see this DISGUSTING LEVEL OF ARROGANCE.

[/obvioussarcasm]

But while I hope these people are rich enough not to worry about responsible spending if they are throwing $20000 at a charity so they can be murdered in fiction, I really can't complain about anyone here.

Super Not Cosmo:
So let's say I win the drawing and get to spend a day with ol' George. Do you think it would be ok for me to insist that instead of lunch and a nice day out we instead spend the entire day inside while I browse the internet on my Galaxy tablet and he works on Winds of Winter breaking only sparingly for bologna sammiches and Mountain Dew.

Lol I love this idea. I'll donate to you if you spend a day ACTUALLY WRITING THE NEXT DAMN BOOK BEFORE YOU JORDAN OUT ON ME, OLD MAN!

(Note: I actually think Brandon Sanderson was the best thing to happen to that series.)

Branindain:

Super Not Cosmo:

Lol I love this idea. I'll donate to you if you spend a day ACTUALLY WRITING THE NEXT DAMN BOOK BEFORE YOU JORDAN OUT ON ME, OLD MAN!

(Note: I actually think Brandon Sanderson was the best thing to happen to that series.)

Brandon Sanderson is one of the best things to happen to fantasy period!

Tiamat666:
Can't say I'm happy with where this is going. I wish GRR Martin had finished writing the books before all the hype and craze of the HBO series started taking over.

Even if he did he'd do the same shit and drag it out for another 10 books.

Publicity stunt, nothing else.

Now I'm sure a certain kind of people is going to worship this as if it was the holy gospel, but...in the end, it's a marketing move.

Oh and from a completely different perspective, if any character based on myself happens to find its way anywhere, it better damn well be because I wrote them. I take my characters extremely seriously. Nobody kills them but me :(

Martin is such a strange sort of celebrity. He's a nasally fat guy that looks more at home as a GM in table top than standing up at ComiCon and getting wild cheers and applause that dwarf the noise of beautiful and handsome charismatic actors that play his characters. And he's more visibly recognizable that Tolken or even J.K. Rowling. (though the last is certainly debatable). What strange man... AND I want that hat right off his head and vacuumed sealed so that none of the brow sweat is lost!O_O

Vegosiux:

Now I'm sure a certain kind of people is going to worship this as if it was the holy gospel, but...in the end, it's a marketing move.

Still, charity happens, and fans are having fun. There is no downside to this.

So..
Wooh! Hooray for publicity stunts! (^.^)/

Roofstone:

Vegosiux:

Still, charity happens, and fans are having fun. There is no downside to this.

So..
Wooh! Hooray for publicity stunts! (^.^)/

Oh, I could go on at length about what I see as downsides, but for the matter at hand, that's neither here nor there.

It seems like one of those little things you can either focus on or shrug off, like the way the show changed the appearance of some of the characters. Changing art for out side reasons can be REALLY harmful but this seems like a small issue and even if it is a publicity stunt it's creative, fun and for charity.

Freaking awesome in my opinion, now I gotta finish season 3 before people start spoiling season 4 for me... not that that hasn't happened already, LOOKING AT YOU GREY!!!

Meh, GRRM isn't really all that brutal to his characters. Only two major POV characters have died in the books (maybe 3?). Most have been one-offs or very minor characters. The deaths aren't even really that shocking either. In terms of TV, Game of Thrones is pretty unique in how often characters die, but in literature, Martin has a long way to go to catch up to the really brutal authors. Have you ever read anything from India set during the Partition? If GoT has you crying, this shit will make your head explode.

But can you name them?

If I'd buy that chance I'd want my OC Ser Storknozzle Fartbucket to go by his real name.

maxben:

Branindain:

Super Not Cosmo:

Brandon Sanderson is one of the best things to happen to fantasy period!

I strongly disagree; I found his books to be the weakest of the lot despite having the coolest bits and I really dislike his writing style. I sat down, finished the series, and then just didn't read it again.

You know how people complained that the end of Mass Effect 3 ruined all the games? He did that for me regarding Wheel of Time.

But it's my subjective opinion, I envy you that you enjoy it.

Vegosiux:

Jacco:

Jesus Christ, an author gives fans a chance to take part in his books and make them feel great as well as the chance to spend the day with one of their favourite authors if they donate to a charity that does cool things and therefore you complain?

Bloody hell, what does it take to please you two? Are you the people who would complain if EA gave them a free copy of Battlefield 4, SimCity or anything else as "Well, EA are only giving me free things because they want me to play their games, it's all marketing".

This is ridiculous. This forum just amazes me sometimes.

Taking bets on which one dies by way of "Nonthreatening floppy and flaccid wiener"

Leon Declis:

Jesus Christ, an author gives fans a chance to take part in his books and make them feel great as well as the chance to spend the day with one of their favourite authors if they donate to a charity that does cool things and therefore you complain?

I don't quite remember throwing a fit like this...

Bloody hell, what does it take to please you two?

You really want to know?

Are you the people who would complain if EA gave them a free copy of Battlefield 4, SimCity or anything else as "Well, EA are only giving me free things because they want me to play their games, it's all marketing".

We'll see if that situation pops up.

This is ridiculous. This forum just amazes me sometimes.

My post was merely a remark about Martin's public campaign, I was not attacking anyone.

Bottom line is, while it's regrettable that my post upset you so much, I don't see what I should have done instead in order to not upset you. Sometimes people will be cynical about things you like. It happens to all of us, all the time.

PS: It's truly amazing that nobody seems to have commented on the other half of my post.

erttheking:

Jacco:

The downside is having to listen to people like Jacco complain about how this is somehow a bad thing. As though celebrities donating things to raise money for charity is somehow a thing they should be ashamed of.

Now these two people just need to legally change their names to Ramsay Bolton and Cersei Lannister.

Sorted!

Jacco:

Yeah fuck him for giving money to a good cause in a novel and entertaining way. What a wanker!

Vivi22:

erttheking:

Jacco:

The downside is having to listen to people like Jacco complain about how this is somehow a bad thing. As though celebrities donating things to raise money for charity is somehow a thing they should be ashamed of.

But don't you see the obvious downsides? They're so obvious, we won't even identify them!

And how fucking dare people respect someone for using his fame to help others. You should all be ashamed of yourselves, with your not being overly cynical, hate-filled little demons and such.

Well it is George RR Martin

I'm pretty sure the disciples accidentally left him to ghost-write the last few chapters of their gospel books when the Bible was getting transcribed.

"Hey George, sorry we're late, Simon the Tanner held a surprise feast in our honour and you know how we like to party. So How's the story coming along? Have you ascended the Son of God to the throne like all the prophesies depict yet?"

George, with all the people dying in the wars of the seven kingdoms and in Essos, I'm probably already there and dead as is, AND I DEMAND MY ROYALTIES, DAMMIT!

A nice thought but a bit too expensive. Having 'prizes/offers' that jump from 100 to 450, over 4x in amount is silly.

I don't mind people selling stuff for charity, but a 450$ poster or 600$ cookbook seems silly next to a 50$ shirt.

Vivi22:
As though celebrities donating things to raise money for charity is somehow a thing they should be ashamed of.

Its not a charity though, its a sale. charity is when you give money and expect NOTHING in return. Most of things we call charity isnt actual charity, but rather an investment or a sale. Not that such a sale is a bad thing. but people who are actually donating to charity should be donating to charity instead of boasting about it. and people who throw money to charity for publicitly, well, we have enough of them as it is.

Game of Thrones...blah blah...grisly death...blah blah. Is anyone else starting to get bored with all the worship thrown at this series and the delight shown with its high bodycount?

Don't get me wrong, I enjoy the TV show and when its all done I'll likely read the books for a fresh perspective but ffs, why do some people talk about nothing else?

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here