Friday Box-Office: Teen Weepie Crushes Cruise

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Friday Box-Office: Teen Weepie Crushes Cruise

fault

The Fault in Our Stars converts teenage tears to cold hard cash

It wasn't too long ago that Hollywood would've never considered movies aimed at women and/or girls to be a safe bet against a macho scifi/action blockbuster starring Tom Cruise, but tide seems to have rather decisively turned.

Despite positive reviews and heavy marketing, Edge of Tomorrow is set to spend its debut weekend in a disappointing 3rd place slot, buried by the strong showing ($53 million on a $12 million budget by some projections) by young adult juggernaut The Fault in Our Stars and the continued strength of Disney's Maleficent.

The Fault in Our Stars, an adaptation of a best-selling YA novel about the romance between a teenaged cancer patient and a handsome, disabled survivor, was widely expected to win the weekend (and keep Edge from the top spot) based on a strong showing by the film's aggressive social media campaigning. But seeing the Cruise vehicle (likely) taking the bronze against the week-old Maleficent is something of a shocker. The Angelina Jolie starrer has been overperforming across the board, dropping a relatively light 53% in week two. It's possible that Disney's dark fairytale is the beneficiary of "spillover" from sold-out showings of Fault, as both are targeting a traditionally under-served (in summer months) female audience.

Edge is expected to fare better in international markets than domestically. Meanwhile, all rival studios are bracing for next week's arrival of two highly-anticipated blockbuster sequels: Dreamworks' How to Train Your Dragon 2 and Sony's 22 Jump Street.

Source: Deadline

I can't speak for everyone but i know amongst people i know Tom Cruise in 2014 in a Sci-Fi film is an automatic red flag, even if the film is getting positive reviews. I think he has become the opposite of a box office draw, a preposterous arrogant little man who people have grown a healthy disregard for.

We already have 22 jump street here in the UK and from the early Friday AM showing i went to it is going to KILL. I've never seen such a dead time slot with more than a few people there regardless of the film. 22 Jump Street is just fantastic too, that also helps. We're getting shafted on the How to Train your Dragon front though, having to wait until July 4th :/

I will never understand not trying to make releases as synchronized as possible wherever possible. That extra three weeks will probably lead to a sizable % of potential premier movie goers to give in and watch some Russian Cam rip.

Yeah....sorry but a movie with Cruise is a movie I just cant watch, no matter how good it is.

I would be unable to enjoy it, cause half the time I would be thinking about Cruise jumping around on couches, preaching about cleaning up the earth for Scientology.

Personally, I hated 'Maleficent', after a ballsy first act it got really boring and the only way they could think to make Maleficent interesting was to make every other character either a total moron (the fairies) or a complete prick (Stephen).

My sister told me that 'Fault in Our Stars' had a large fan-base but gawddamn that's pretty nuts, I hated the look of the trailer as from what i've seen TEENAGERS DON'T TALK LIKE THAT but maybe i'm just not the target audience here.

And on a slightly related note, 'HOW TO TRAIN YOUR DRAGON 2'!!!

Edge of Tomorrow might have been hurt by the fact that it was an IMAX exclusive. I don't know if it was that way everywhere, but it was advertised as such at my theater. I don't mind paying for big action movies like that, but $15 dollars for a ticket can be a deal breaker for a lot of people.

The Fault in Our Stars was bound to win out, though. Freakin' John Green.

Never underestimate the power of bored teenaged girls with disposable income.

Did anyone here see "Our Fault in the Stars"?

How was it? Was it close to the book?

Nowhere Man:

I'm a 24 year old man and I've enjoyed reading The Fault in our Stars. I can safely tell you that its pretty good and putting it in the same category as "Twilightish stuff" is pretty short minded.

Although, the trailer of the Fault in our Star makes it look like a Nicholas Sparks movie which I was told that it wasn't.

Man, I haven't even heard the fault in our stars.

Mahorfeus:
Edge of Tomorrow might have been hurt by the fact that it was an IMAX exclusive. I don't know if it was that way everywhere, but it was advertised as such at my theater. I don't mind paying for big action movies like that, but $15 dollars for a ticket can be a deal breaker for a lot of people.

The Fault in Our Stars was bound to win out, though. Freakin' John Green.

I don't think it is an imax exclusive. The cinema in my town is showing it on their regular theaters. Also, 15$ isn't so bad compared to the 24$ I pay just to see a regular movie here :c

How many of those sales for The Fault in Our Stars was because of Divergent?

Though Ansel Elgort (Male romantic lead) played Shailene Woodley's (Female lead) brother in Divergent so this is kinda creepy imo.

Andrew Siribohdi:

Went to go see it with my girlfriend- she said it only cut out one or two inconsequential scenes from the book, and changed a line or two of dialogue. Otherwise, she was really happy with how well it represented the book.

But goddamn is that a sad movie.

RatherDull:
How many of those sales for The Fault in Our Stars was because of Divergent?

Though Ansel Elgort (Male romantic lead) played Shailene Woodley's (Female lead) brother in Divergent so this is kinda creepy imo.

I'm sure it played a role, but the book has been a major seller on its own and John Green, the author and one of the vlogbrothers on Youtube, has made a lot of publicity for the movie.

Oh man, I'm starting to be "defending guy"...

Nowhere Man:

You'd think people would know by now not to since they RUN the music industry (why else is all pop radio just variations of relationship talk and shallow dance music?).

Though at least it seems Fault In Our Stars is a good movie. It's got a surprisingly high rating on Rotten Tomatoes:

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/the_fault_in_our_stars/

I haven't even heard of...what is this movie called? Fault In Our Stars? I don't recall seeing a trailer for it or even hearing about the book it's apparently based on. I have no interest in seeing it whatsoever, but usually I'm at least aware of these types of movies.
Still going to see Edge of Tomorrow though. Bob said it's like a video game and I have been waiting for a movie to get that right. Does How to Train Your Dragon 2 really come out that soon? Oh man, where has the time gone...?

On a side note, is this going to be a thing for Bob now? Every Saturday where he reports the top grossing movie of the weekend?

Why is this the first time I'm even hearing about The Fault in our Stars?

Still, keep a close eye on those international numbers. Competent concept scifi is kind of few and far between (they usually bomb the execution of otherwise interesting ideas.[1]

[1] On a semi-related note, The Purge sequel actually appears to be doing somewhat what Bob was hoping for (or at the very least moving in that direction), and may turn into an interesting franchise where writers are given the broad concept and figure out what they want to do in that situation

Tom Cruise aside, wile I am not terribly interested in the film itself, Author Jon Green of The Fault in our Stars is one of the coolest dudes around. Him and his brother Hank do a really good job hosting the YouTube channel Crash Course, and if you haven't checked it out, I suggest that you do. Given the perceived choice of Cruise vs Mr. Green, I am glad that we seem to be choosing Green.

Honestly, this shouldn't come as much of a surprise to anyone. Tom has fallen from grace ever since he went bat-shit crazy and became a scientologist. His fanbase isn't nearly as robust as it used to be and I'd imagine (and no, I have no evidence of this, that's why it's called an opinion) that many people just wish he'd go away and retire already.

That said, even if he was still as relevant and popular at ever this movie STILL wouldn't have stood a chance. "Young Adult" novel movies are all the rage these days...that's why these bullshit hack-authors just trot out some lame trumped up story (Cancer Love........I mean really?) about romance and pain and every girl in the world will drag their boyfriend to go see it.

Seriously, how many times are we going to see a re-write of Romeo and Juliet?

Ryan Hughes:
Tom Cruise aside, wile I am not terribly interested in the film itself, Author Jon Green of The Fault in our Stars is one of the coolest dudes around. Him and his brother Hank do a really good job hosting the YouTube channel Crash Course, and if you haven't checked it out, I suggest that you do. Given the perceived choice of Cruise vs Mr. Green, I am glad that we seem to be choosing Green.

THEY'RE THE SAME GUY?!

I watch CC and I never made the connection. My respect for him actually makes me think FioS (...weird) could be worth reading/watching.

vid87:

THEY'RE THE SAME GUY?!

I watch CC and I never made the connection. My respect for him actually makes me think FioS (...weird) could be worth reading/watching.

Ha! Yep, they are the same person. John Green is an intelligent and insightful person -just watching his youtube work makes that pretty obvious- and even though I have not read Fault in our Stars, any novel written by him must be a dramatic improvement over the tripe that has been sold to teens over the last few years. If teens are putting down Twilight and picking up John Green novels, I cannot see that as anything but a very positive development for them, and the rest of society in general.

Ryan Hughes:

Green is a cool guy that desires to make learning cool (And if you're an adult, he does approach historic and literature analysis from some angles that are different than what you got in school, it's worth it taking a look at crash course).

Tom Cruise is Tom Cruise Crazy, and the space pope.

Green wins.

Ryan Hughes:
Snip

vid87:
Snip

His novels Looking for Alaska and Paper towns are mostly deconstruction of the "Manic Pixie Dream Girl" tropes. An abundance of Katherines was very insightful about what it's like to be a teenage prodigy who has weird conceptions of life.

Basically, when you're reading a John Green novel, you expect deconstructions of tropes, deadpan snarking and a different look at teenagers.

I recommend the Fault in our Stars for a read. If you want to read a "young adult" novel that doesn't feel like the stereotypical teenage fantasy, John Green is your guy.

Oh god, three posts defending the movie, the book and the author....I'm a fan.... Oh god! Don't panic! It's not like I'm one of those typical Sherlock fans...WAIT! I AM! OH GOD! OH GOD! OH GOD!

RJ 17:
That said, even if he was still as relevant and popular at ever this movie STILL wouldn't have stood a chance. "Young Adult" novel movies are all the rage these days...that's why these bullshit hack-authors just trot out some lame trumped up story (Cancer Love........I mean really?) about romance and pain and every girl in the world will drag their boyfriend to go see it.

Seriously, how many times are we going to see a re-write of Romeo and Juliet?

James Baldwin said it best: "For while the tale of how we suffer, and how we are delighted, and how we may triumph is never new, it always must be heard. There isn't any other tale to tell, it's the only light we've got in all this darkness."

Funny thing: Romeo and Juliet was not "created" by Shakespeare either, but was effectively a re-imagining of a rather cut-and-dry moral tale of the same name that was popular at the time, itself a re-telling of "Trollius and Cressida," which had been adapted by many, many writers in different cultures for centuries before hand. In what can be considered the post-classical era, the first major retelling is from Giovanni Bococcio, also the first European novelist, circa 1350. Geoffry Chaucer also had his own version of the tale. So, we have been telling and retelling "Romeo and Juliet" for the last eight hundred years under different forms and different names. I doubt we will be slowing down any time soon.

Random Argument Man:

Oh god, three posts defending the movie, the book and the author....I'm a fan.... Oh god! Don't panic! It's not like I'm one of those typical Sherlock fans...WAIT! I AM! OH GOD! OH GOD! OH GOD!

Nothing wrong with being a John Green fan. As I said, I am only familiar with his YouTube work, but I consider myself a fan as well. I usually don't read novels aimed at teens -though modern marketing often makes a mess of any attempt to actually classify genre any more- but I may give "Fault" a shot later this summer.

Ryan Hughes:
So, we have been telling and retelling "Romeo and Juliet" for the last eight hundred years under different forms and different names. I doubt we will be slowing down any time soon.

And there-in lies my problem. As a creative writer myself, I'm fully aware of the phrase "There's nothing new under the sun", that doesn't mean we shouldn't at least try to be original.

Above all else, though, my comment was more directed towards the fact that as a creative writer I really...REALLY can't stand this wave of "Young Adult Literature". It's essentially the "Ow! My Balls!" of writing. I don't blame the people who write it, I just hate the fact that it's so successful.

Poor teenage girls, missing out on the radness that is Edge of Tomorrow because...uh, the star isn't a girl, I guess? I got nothing. Maleficent looked dumb and I am absolutely bored of movies about pretty girls being told over and over and over that they're special when they are clearly, demonstrably not. I guess demographics are king over being simply the best, most entertaining thing in theaters.

I think a lot of the more dependable big budget action fans saw "Tom Cruise does Groundhog day with Robot Suits" and kinda went "frak no!" And decided to give this weekend over to the Wife/GF/etc. Much like After Earth before it, the personalities involved carry way too much baggage to be overcome. The audience does not want to watch 'Tom Cruise". he has stopped being an actor and instead become a character unto himself. And it is more and more becoming a character that we really don't have a pressing desire to revisit opening weekend. Even with the film getting good reviews the impression remains "ok maybe I'll have to check it out when it hits Netflix". It's not that the public hates Cruise so much as they have become completely and utterly apathetic to his movies. His presence elicits a "what else ya got?" from even the most hardcore action nerds. And when they are taking the weepy teenage cancer girl movie over it, yeah that should really be telling all involved something important.

faefrost:
The audience does not want to watch 'Tom Cruise". he has stopped being an actor and instead become a character unto himself.

Not helping: the feeling that Tom Cruise wants to play himself seemingly as some sort of author-insert AWESOME character in fanfictions. Also, Aliens + Tom Cruise = "you know what, I'm not even going to risk money going to Club Zenu"

Andrew Siribohdi:

My wife and I went to see it last night and it wasn't a bad movie at all. Kind of takes a depressing turn towards the end but all in all I can say that even though I was skeptical going into it I actually enjoyed it much more than I thought I would have. Hell, I'd probably watch it again down the road if I stumbled across it on TV or something. I would say if you have a date in the near future you could certainly do worse for yourself than taking said date to see The Fault in Our Stars.

As for Tom Cruise, well I feel obliged to post this. . . . .

The *trailer* of this saccharine thing almost made me throw up. I can't understand why people like sentimentaloid schlock like this.

If my GF tried to force me to watch it I'd consider it grounds for a breakup.

So is TFIOS basically this?

Nothing more tragic than a movie which uses sadness to oscar bait.

Huh... You know, the more I think about it, the more it makes sense... kinda... TFIOS is one of those books/movies that you can't really judge until you see it for yourself... and, as it turns out, given who wrote the original book alone, you bet your ass it's going to be a good movie... Plus, apparently, we have reached the point where saying the name "Tom Cruise" makes whatever's attatched to it not worth watching anyway... even if you did the same thing you would do with TFIOS and not judge it before you even see it firsthand... Not to [truly] defend "Tom Cruise" or anything, but it's kinda sad how we are doing the same thing we would do with a movie we would call "Twilight bait"[1], only this time we're calling it "Tom Cruise repellent"[2]...

Regardless, I'm happy that a movie that based on a book by a really cool guy is doing so well in theaters... I kinda wished the Tom Cruise movie was, at least, in second place beating dark[er] Sleeping Beauty, but again, "Tom Cruise repellent" has worked its magic once again, I guess... Seriously, I know that some people hate really don't like Tom Cruise the person, but at least judge the movie by the character he, for example, portrays in the movie instead... It [still] baffles me when I hear people not want to watch a movie that, if only described the premise without name-dropping a single actor, they would have watched "if not for X actor playing in it"... I thought we were suppose to separate the character from the actor playing said character most of the time, anyway...

[1] I don't know the actual lingo term...
[2] I no has lingo cred...

Tis a shame because I thought Edge of Tomorrow was the best movie so far this year.

People who are snubbing Tom Cruise because it's Tom Cruise are missing out on a great sci-fi movie!

Don't think I could stomach Fault with Our Stars, not because it's bad per say, but because its deliberately out to depress you. You know someone's going to die just from that premise alone, and it will be soul crushing, just like that Red Dog movie, god I bawled my eyes out at the end of that. So yeah, I try and avoid those kinds of movies.

EoT has made over 60 million over the first week outside of the US so it's not doing too bad.
It's the same as with Pacific Rim - didn't do all that well in the US but made it up elsewhere.
A bad opening weekend in the US isn't a tragedy anymore.
The studios want a great opening weekend but there were good movies, even recently, which have made profit 6-8 weeks after (like The Wolf of Wall Street).

Edit:
Counting this weekend, the movie has already made $140 million worldwide.
It's doing good.

DerangedHobo:
So is TFIOS basically this?

Nothing more tragic than a movie which uses sadness to oscar bait.

I sincerely doubt they're aiming that high(?) - as far as I understood from the premise and trailer, it was just going to be a formulaic cash-grabbing tear-jerker in the vein of Nicholas Sparks, whose movies/books I've never seen/read, but I've read a fairly detailed breakdown via Cracked.com that showed how every story is a carbon copy with specific plot-points designed to give the illusion of depth and meaning to emotionally manipulate fans who don't pay enough attention to tropes. Knowing now that the author is John Green, I do wonder if he despite his respectability just crapped another teen drama like the rest or if he actually gave it something more.

Saw Edge of Tomorrow, pretty enjoyable. Liked it more than Godzilla and X-men. Of course I only saw it because our advanced screenings of How to Train Your Dragon 2 sold out while standing in line, but it was still a pretty good movie and not a disappointment.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here