Pokemon Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire's New Mega Evolutions Revealed

Pokemon Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire's New Mega Evolutions Revealed

Pokemon Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire's three starters have now had their Mega Evolutions revealed..

When Pokemon X and Y was released last year, one of the biggest changes it brought with it was the "Mega Evolution" - the ability for fully-evolved Pokemon to temporarily transform into a more powerful form for the duration of a battle. Basically, Super Saiyan for Pokemon. Now that Pokemon Ruby and Sapphire remakes have been announced for this year, it's inevitable that they would come with their own suite of new Mega Evolutions. Serebii has obtained scans from Japanese magazine CoroCoro that show just that: Mega Evolutions for the remaining two Generation III starters (Sceptile and Swampert), as well as its two "Mascot Legendaries" (Groudon and Kyogre).

It also appears that Diancie, one of Pokemon X and Y's distribution-exclusive legendaries, is also getting her own Mega Evolution.

Check them out, as well as images of the updated player characters and rival, below:

Mega Sceptile is Grass/Dragon-type while the others maintain their original typing. Mega Diancie's ability is currently listed as ??? while Mega Sceptile has Lightning Rod and Mega Swampert has Swift Swim. Blaziken, the third Generation III starter, has already had a Mega Evolution since the launch of Pokemon X and Y.

It's worth noting that the magazine describes Groudon and Kyogre's new "Mega Evolutions" a little differently. It refers to them as a regression called "Ancient Devolution", and the Pokemon become "Primal Groudon and Primal Kyogre" instead of the usual "Mega".

Source: Serebii

Well, my excitement has greatly increased! Some new megas for the competitive scene are absolutely welcome. I'm guessing we might also get a Mega Metagross? If recall that's Steven's signature Pokemon.

Edit: It appears Steven might be using Mega Charizard instead. That's horrible. I'm upset.

Steven Bogos:
snip

I don't think that's the rival... looks too old. I suspect that's Steven instead

Bleidd Whitefalcon:

I don't think that's the rival... looks too old. I suspect that's Steven instead

Yeah, that's definitely Steven.

OT: Mega-Sceptile being Grass/Dragon is boss, though it's 4x weakness to Ice and it's Mega Ability (LightningRod really?) kinda takes away from that. Mega Swampert meanwhile I really don't have an opinion on.
What I really care about now is whether characterisation will return, seeing as Brendan's changed skintone and May's changed outfit will both lead to bitching without opportunities to change them.

I DO like Mudkipz considering they mega-evolve into THAT badass!

JoJoDelight:
OT: Mega-Sceptile being Grass/Dragon is boss, though it's 4x weakness to Ice and it's Mega Ability (LightningRod really?) kinda takes away from that. Mega Swampert meanwhile I really don't have an opinion on.
What I really care about now is whether characterisation will return, seeing as Brendan's changed skintone and May's changed outfit will both lead to bitching without opportunities to change them.

Sceptile is a Sp.Atk sweeper, Lightning Rod boosts his Sp.Atk, at least it's more interesting than Overgrow.

And a 4x Ice weakness never stopped Garchomp, Dragonite, Salamence, Landorus, Gliscor etc from reking people's shit.

Mega Blaziken? Now that's just uncalled for. He's already banned in competitive play.

Am I the only one seeing Kyogre getting hit by a blast of spunk from Groudon in the 4th picture? XD

Mega Swampert is thinking "ENOUGH OF THE FUCKING MUDKIP JOKES!" I think what gets me is that Diancie is also getting a Mega form. I wonder what new Mega forms we'll see, if there will be new ones.

While I always love me some images from things I await the release for, the picture for the Primal legendaries is a little disturbing, seeing as Kyogre is spraying Groudon with fluids from its crotch.

Otherwise, good to know that the other two Honen starters get Mega Evolutions (even if I'm not terribly crazy about the looks), and Team Aqua and Magma's redesigns are... buh...

MrMixelPixel:
Well, my excitement has greatly increased! Some new megas for the competitive scene are absolutely welcome. I'm guessing we might also get a Mega Metagross? If recall that's Steven's signature Pokemon.

Edit: It appears Steven might be using Mega Charizard instead. That's horrible. I'm upset.

it may or may not happen, seeing as the one on display is level 100 and that doesn't sound like something they would do to the children

secondly, metagross now has this big old dark/ghost weakness so that might put a damper on the nostalgia trip

soren7550:
While I always love me some images from things I await the release for, the picture for the Primal legendaries is a little disturbing, seeing as Kyogre is spraying Groudon with fluids from its crotch.

Otherwise, good to know that the other two Honen starters get Mega Evolutions (even if I'm not terribly crazy about the looks), and Team Aqua and Magma's redesigns are... buh...

I can understand the redesigns being bit difficult to deal with but hopefully these guys'll get more characterization then the original incarnations. I found them completely forgettable when I was a kid and didn't even notice that they weren't actually grunts till years later.

I guess I'll be going for Swampert this game since I like it's mega although I kinda hate weather based abilities since you kinda need to base your whole team around it for full benefit. I already have a Blazekin from my first playthrough that I want to transfer up so it'll finally be able to come home.

Sceptile with Lightning Rod is actually pretty good. It gets much harder to paralyze and you could team it up with something that can spam electric moves.

Goddess I hope they let you customize your character's outfit, the defaults are just... bleh.

Especially the hair, I really don't want to have to go the entire game with my hair looking like a giant inverted V stuck on my face. I mean I know that the original girl trainer was just a copy of May's character design but atleast she had her hair brushed to the sides like a human being hypothetically would as supposed to combed in front of her face (headbands are typically used to keep your hair BACK Nintendo).
I get that they're supposed to look like updated versions of the original character designs...

But I hope they still give you the option to change your appearance if you want to like they did in X/Y.

I loved Mega Swampert since it pretty much look like its on steroid. While Sceptile look slightly better but I still put off with its designs (I know the yellow balls on its back and the barb tails are reference to some lizard but it still look silly).
Great I am now torn at picking either Mudkip or Tourchic (in Ruby I had Mudkip but I don't want to repeat using the same Pokemon in the Omega Ruby).

I love Mega-Swampert's stance. He looks like he's REALLY focused on the point between his hands. Glorious.

And it's nice to see that mega-Sceptile is getting a solid ability and a good Dragon typing to go with it. I might actually use the poor bastard this time around.

I was going to use torchick in these games, like I did when I first played ruby, but I just love mega-sceptile's appearance so much that I've got to use it, another generation has made the grass type starter my favourite, that's 5 to grass one to fire now. (water's got zero)

Well I know I am choosing Mudkip this time around (I mean I usually do, but I digress) Swamperts Mega-Evolution looks sweet, although he did seem to take the Knuckles the Echidna massive arms look...

Unfortunately I first found out about the new Mega-evolutions in the 'rule-34' part of the internet where an 'artist' had decided to give Mega-Swampert an olive-green 'kickstand' using MS paint.

My immediate thoughts on the Mega-Sceptile design where: "Why the bloody hell have they turned it into a Christmas fucking novelty toy!?" and then: "...Well the new head design is better, I guess". Personally I don't think Lightning Rod is as amazing a choice of ability as I've heard so many others proclaim it to be but at least it's better than Swift Swim.

I really like Mega-Swampert's design although I still feel it could do with having thumbs. Too bad I can't stand using Rain Dance teams...

EDIT: Why did they redesign the female player-character to be even less sensibly proportioned? She used to have the barest hint of musculature but now she's been turned into another Moë-blob complete with 'inward-pointing-toe-stance'. Also her hair is fucking stupid (though I suppose, while it's only a small mercy, she thankfully doesn't have a Pokémon living in it...).

I wonder if we'll be able to use these over in X/Y (Or at least when playing against X/Y)? If they were already in I think data-mining would have found them, but it's possible they'll release a patch that adds them in since that's something they can do now.

Madame_le_Flour:
Goddess I hope they let you customize your character's outfit, the defaults are just... bleh.

Especially the hair, I really don't want to have to go the entire game with my hair looking like a giant inverted V stuck on my face. I mean I know that the original girl trainer was just a copy of May's character design but atleast she had her hair brushed to the sides like a human being hypothetically would as supposed to combed in front of her face (headbands are typically used to keep your hair BACK Nintendo).
I get that they're supposed to look like updated versions of the original character designs...

But I hope they still give you the option to change your appearance if you want to like they did in X/Y.

As long as you can keep Brendan's hair white, I'm cool with that. Just change the style.

Actually, I'm rather curious as to what customizations are available for these characters now.

Nice, I was hoping they would do this. I like how Mega Sceptile looks, Mega Swampert looks like it's hulked out, kind of strange but I think I'll get used it, I'll be starting with a Mudkip for sure. It's type is certainly interesting since Swampert's low speed is one of it's downfalls, aside from the obvious 4x grass weakness. This beast could be quite the powerhouse. Harder to see with Groudon and Kyorge but they seem to be glowing versions of themselves for the most part.

Treeko being my favourite Hoenn Starter, i am THRILLED about him having a Mega-Evo.

My shiny Sceptile in X/Y will look even more amazing in a few months!

GamemasterAnthony:

Madame_le_Flour:

As long as you can keep Brendan's hair white, I'm cool with that. Just change the style.

Actually, I'm rather curious as to what customizations are available for these characters now.

Brendan's hair is not white. That's actually supposed to be head wrap of some sort. You can see it on the new artwork where you see his brown hair coming out underneath it. I thought his hair was white for a long time too, the original art made it look like it was.

This just convinced me to buy either the Omega Ruby or Alpha Sapphire.... wait.

Don't they always release like, a 3rd game with both legendary Pokemon involved plus a third one like the green Dragon?
I might hold off to see if they release 'Ultimate Emerald' or something like that.

But the mega evolutions of each one are wicked awesome. I'm quite impressed actually lol.

Caramel Frappe:

Don't they always release like, a 3rd game with both legendary Pokemon involved plus a third one like the green Dragon?
I might hold off to see if they release 'Ultimate Emerald' or something like that.

But the mega evolutions of each one are wicked awesome. I'm quite impressed actually lol.

For remakes, it has been just the main two games of the series, firered, leafgreen, heartgold, soulsilver being the last couple, so it's unlikely that there'll be a game for emerald. More likely we'll get Pokemon Z or X2/Y2 at some point.

They did reserve Delta Emerald, but it might end up being just like Water Blue, where we saw nothing of it.

As for the Megas, they turned out great. I'll be going with Sceptile for old times sake, but I think Swampert (just thought of a nickname for him...Swamp-Bert) turned out best. Diancie's mega looks perfect, likely because it was designed with the mega in mind.

Caramel Frappe:

Not the remakes, which these are. The last two sets of remakes (for Gen 1 and 2) have been only with the two main versions. We had Fire Red and Leaf Green (without Yellow represented) and HeartGold and SoulSilver (without Crystal represented).

Raggedstar:

Caramel Frappe:

Not the remakes, which these are. The last two sets of remakes (for Gen 1 and 2) have been only with the two main versions. We had Fire Red and Leaf Green (without Yellow represented) and HeartGold and SoulSilver (without Crystal represented).

That's not entirely true. HG/SS kept Crystal's storyline with Suicune and the Battle Frontier, and a few other things I'm probably forgetting.

What the hell is with Pokemon recently and their male mains looking like dead eyed dolls? He looks like he's been killed and stuffed with big vacant glass eyes just like they did with the main from Gold/Silver. There's an image of the before and after really drilling in how one is a tough traveling kid and the other is a twiggy glass eyed doll.

Not really a fan of what they did to the girl either, she's better than the guy at least but yeah...Never played Ruby or the other and I don't think I like the changes to her.

soren7550:

Raggedstar:

Caramel Frappe:

That's not entirely true. HG/SS kept Crystal's storyline with Suicune and the Battle Frontier, and a few other things I'm probably forgetting.

I mean for actual games, as that was the context I was quoting. There was no "Shining Yellow" or "Shimmering Crystal" or whatever. It always stopped at the main games.

Caramel Frappe:

Nope. I can tell you that a new emerald version will NEVER happen.

There was never a Pokemon Spark Yellow after Fire Red and Leaf Green and there was never a Gleaming Crystal to go with Heart Gold and Soul Silver.

there wasn't a crystal at all ever, because they just threw the first girl player character in pokemon into the dumpster instead of letting her return, probably because they didn't want to have to awkwardly explain why a character has blue hair in gold/silver

Enough with the rumors, just let me get the game already! >:O
Also I'm still MEH on Mega Evolutions.

GUESS WHOS CANON NOW PEOPLE?! THATS RIGHT, DIALGA!

Caramel Frappe:

They don't usually release the 3rd version of the generations when they do the remakes (they didn't remake Yellow or Crystal), so I wouldn't bother waiting. Come to think of it, they really haven't done a 3rd version release since gen 4, so they may be stopping that trend.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here