The Sims 4 Releasing on September 2nd - Update

*holds envelope to forehead*

What requires Origin to run and will have over $500 in DLC before it is "complete"?

*opens envelope*

Every 2015 EA game.

MinionJoe:

What requires Origin to run and will have over $500 in DLC before it is "complete"?

*opens envelope*

Every 2015 EA game.

Huzzah, you win a prize!
What is it?
Two dollars of Origin credits!

Hey ho, take what you want and don't buy the rest (this is not an advert for piracy, just saying you don't have to buy all the DLC!)

MinionJoe:

*opens envelope*

Every EA game.

Fixed that for you.

I am excited for the next Sims game. Maybe that's just me.

I guess it's going to be only online as well?

putowtin:

Huzzah, you win a prize!
What is it?
Two dollars of Origin credits!

Ew. I just threw up in my mouth a little. :P

Reminds me of when they give out Wal-Mart gift cards as "prizes" here at work. ;)

DeepComet5581:

MinionJoe:

Every EA game.

Fixed that for you.

I almost posted exactly that. But I still remember a time that EA made games that didn't completely screw their customers against their will. Then again, I played most of those games on a Tandy 1000...

Death from too much emotion, David Cage would be proud.

MinionJoe:
Then again, I played most of those games on a Tandy 1000...

Ah, the glory days...back when we only had to worry about if our video adapter was CGA, EGA, or VGA...

Some of the features in this one look genuinely cool...

It's a shame that some of the stuff that was in expansions last time around will inevitably also be expansions for this installment. Arbitrarily, at that.

"Want a hot tub? Ha ha! Screw you! Pay $40 for the Late Night expansion!"

Mahorfeus:
Some of the features in this one look genuinely cool...

It's a shame that some of the stuff that was in expansions last time around will inevitably also be expansions for this installment. Arbitrarily, at that.

"Want a hot tub? Ha ha! Screw you! Pay $40 for the Late Night expansion!"

"Weather? What is this weather you speak of? Pay $40 or else prepare for more endless dry sunny days than California during a drought"

kajinking:
"Weather? What is this weather you speak of? Pay $40 or else prepare for more endless dry sunny days than California during a drought"

Funnily enough, I don't think weather effects actually existed in The Sims until they introduced it, via DLC, in The Sims 3.

MarsAtlas:

kajinking:

Funnily enough, I don't think weather effects actually existed in The Sims until they introduced it, via DLC, in The Sims 3.

No, every sims game had a "seasons" weather expansion. And yes, it sucked to have a $40 expansion just to make it rain.

However, I'll be honest, I'm really excited for this. The Sims remains the only EA game I buy and I am really looking forward to this game. I'm loving character creation and build mode improvements. Although, laughing to death is here? Really? Eh, oh well.

So basically nothing new aside from minor visual and animation updates. This whole emotion system doesn't strike me as anything different from what was already in Sims 3. Maybe it's just the kind of gamer I am but I never was interested in "telling a story" with my sims. And as we all know EA is going to lock off most of the content in overpriced DLC. Most of the Sims 3 DLC (when not specifically on sale at the moment) is STILL going for $30 a pop. Fuck you, EA. Fuck you.

xaszatm:

MarsAtlas:

kajinking:

No, every sims game had a "seasons" weather expansion. And yes, it sucked to have a $40 expansion just to make it rain.

However, I'll be honest, I'm really excited for this. The Sims remains the only EA game I buy and I am really looking forward to this game. I'm loving character creation and build mode improvements. Although, laughing to death is here? Really? Eh, oh well.

Hem... uhh hi *waves* still play the sims 1 series here (you know from before ea was evil and you could pick up the game + expansions for $100 and dident have any micro transactions) the sims 1 does not have weather expansions , the only "weather" expansion as such could be considered as the sims vacation pack which added 3 snow lots but it did not actualy snow , the ground was just white and objects had snow on them.

and yes rely i still play the sims 1 , got it working just fine on windows 7 X64 i love that game far more than the later money hungry iterations .

RedBackDragon:

xaszatm:

MarsAtlas:

Hem... uhh hi *waves* still play the sims 1 series here (you know from before ea was evil and you could pick up the game + expansions for $100 and dident have any micro transactions) the sims 1 does not have weather expansions , the only "weather" expansion as such could be considered as the sims vacation pack which added 3 snow lots but it did not actualy snow , the ground was just white and objects had snow on them.

and yes rely i still play the sims 1 , got it working just fine on windows 7 X64 i love that game far more than the later money hungry iterations .

Whoops, you're right. I guess I'm confusing the Living Large expansion for an actual weather expansion. I forgot that there was no weather in the Sims 1. Thanks for the correction. Still makes no sense why Sims 3 needed a weather expansion after Sims 2 though (and Pets, and Downtown, and Colleges, and...)

xaszatm:

Whoops, you're right. I guess I'm confusing the Living Large expansion for an actual weather expansion. I forgot that there was no weather in the Sims 1. Thanks for the correction. Still makes no sense why Sims 3 needed a weather expansion after Sims 2 though (and Pets, and Downtown, and Colleges, and...)

too right there, the only way i can understand it is from the perspective of makeing alot of money it seems like ea gets away with murder sometimes.

xaszatm:

RedBackDragon:

xaszatm:

I truly didn't care about downtown, college, even night life stuff. However the fact that pets don't ship with the base product is the most infuriating thing. Why oh why can't my Sim start life with a adorable little pooch/kitten? Why do I need to spend 40 dollars to actually have a dog. Its messed up man.

RedBackDragon:

xaszatm:

too right there, the only way i can understand it is from the perspective of makeing alot of money it seems like ea gets away with murder sometimes.

Like, some of the Sims 3 Expansion repeats made sense like World Adventures compared to the Sims 2 Bon Voyage as it greatly expanded the concept. But Late Night, Pets, and Seasons really were just stupid for expansions especially since there wasn't a need to create a whole new sub-neighborhood for those features.

shintakie10:
. Why oh why can't my Sim start life with a adorable little pooch/kitten? Why do I need to spend 40 dollars to actually have a dog. Its messed up man.

mmmhm , again especially considering that the sims 1 had pets way back in the day it cant be like they dident think of it or somehow improved upon pets.

xaszatm:

Like, some of the Sims 3 Expansion repeats made sense like World Adventures compared to the Sims 2 Bon Voyage as it greatly expanded the concept. But Late Night, Pets, and Seasons really were just stupid for expansions especially since there wasn't a need to create a whole new sub-neighborhood for those features.

and for the cost ... i mean come on charging money for features that should ship with the base game.

elevators for instance... come the heck on why are elevators DLC...

I don't think there is too much I can say that hasn't already been said. Quite frankly, this looks only slightly better than the Sims 3. Infact, I think the only thing this truly signifies is the End of the expansion packs for the Sims 3.

Calling it now: Give the Sims 4 maybe 10-20 more expansions, and once the Sims 5 comes out, you'll know when they've finished it. Maybe that might be when I decide to buy into EA, and only once the game+ expansions are on sale somewhere, because I tried "playing this game" with the Sims 2. Not falling for it again.

The Sims 4 Releasing on September 2nd - Update

The Sims 4 will allow players to import their friend's Sim into their own games.

Read Full Article

iniudan:
Death from too much emotion, David Cage would be proud.

And now I'm considering getting this just so I could make David Cage in the game and kill him with emotions.

I just don't get it. They keep making such a big deal out of being able to tweak personality... as if you couldn't do that just fine in previous games. I've yet to see a single notable thing that makes Sims 4 "new". Sims 3 stood out by having the town be a single contiguous area, instead of having long loading screens to go to the store. Sims 4 has... what?

JarinArenos:
I just don't get it. They keep making such a big deal out of being able to tweak personality... as if you couldn't do that just fine in previous games. I've yet to see a single notable thing that makes Sims 4 "new". Sims 3 stood out by having the town be a single contiguous area, instead of having long loading screens to go to the store. Sims 4 has... what?

The attention of the casual gamers?

JarinArenos:

Well I think (or at least hope) the emotions is actually going to make the sims stick to their personalities. Okay so, playing sims 3 I chose a house at random. It was a couple, wife wanted kids, husband didn't and had the "dislikes children" trait. I thought "Oh this could be fun" and quickly got hubby and wifey to woohoo. Soon after wifey was announcing to hubby that she was pregnant and.....nothing. He congratulated her, smiled real big, patted her on the shoulder. Now I don't know about you, but that's not the reaction of a person who doesn't like children and yet is going to have a child.

I liked the personality traits in sims 3, but theres a lot of disconnect between what their personality traits are and what the sim actually does. A lot of times, it seems like the only good the traits were for was to be able to improve skills faster. So I'm hoping that introducing emotions will have that husband having a panic attack, because that would be a proper reaction. It's just something to, hopefully, make the sims a little richer, because in Sims 3 it seems you're working off a base personality that is shared by ALL sims, just minorly tweaked.

I'm not saying you're not right, if that's how you feel. Just wanted to share my perspective on why I'm super excited for the game. And even if I'm not right, it's a new feel to the sims, new experiences, game mechanics, designs...sometimes all you need is a few tweaks on the same old thing to make it interesting again.

I'll be frank, I enjoy the Sims and can't wait for the 4th installment but for the time being I've been playing Sims 3 and it has been great for a bit (a bit choppy on frame rate even though I exceed even the recommended specs =/) but ultimately I don't care for the constant info tips and "share this moment" which screams FB, so I also thought of ordering a brand new copy of Sims 2 deluxe seeing as how my original was lost years ago and I wanted to see if they sold any new copies cheap and lo and behold amazon had plenty.

Just installed 2 and hoping to have equal if not a bit more fun than 3 since 2 was my favourite, 4 is looking to improve upon 3 but not by a massive landslide but that's not really all that bad.

Now hopefully EA will accept my Visa debit card by the time 4 comes out and hopefully 4 won't have anything FB related into it >.>.

That's ubisofts realm atm.

I do however wish one day we'd get like a spin off Sims co-op game (not sim city)

I enjoyed the first sims a lot, the second ones were okay, the third ones? meh, too much DLC crap that i can just get via mods in sims 2. lets hope sims 4 turns out better (we all know it wont :( )

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here