Doom Reboot Revealed by Bethesda

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Doom Reboot Revealed by Bethesda

Bethesda's unnanounced new title is a reboot of the iconic FPS: Doom.

Read Full Article

It doesnt seem to try to be scary and thats nice since Doom was never supposed to be scary. Other then that...

Please don't screw this up Bethesda...
Please, please, PLEASE don't screw this up. ;.;

Que whoa what wait why?
Now i am imagining a terrible doom mod for Skyrim
About time something came, even if it is not what they promised

I hate to be that guy, but it's "id" or "ID." The internet one day all decided to start calling them "iD," but they have never actually stylized it that way.

...the more you know.

I don't know why they are so obsessed with turning Doom into some sort of storydriven horror game, just hire Slayer, Exodus, Morbid Angel and Kreator and make a kick ass action game where you dodge projectiles and kill badass demons while traversing hell, that would be soo much cooler than this boring crap. Sigh, it's tough to be a fan of all the Doom games before Doom 3 ruined the series.

Now that that's out of the way, i hope i'm wrong in every possible way and that this new Doom is pure gameplay driven action with a kick ass soundtrack and tons of enemies that needs to be slain. It needs to be the opposite of Doom 3.

Vicarious Reality:
Que whoa what wait why?

It's not going to be done by the same team as The Elder Scrolls - it's going to be done by the original developers (ID Software) whose games are published by Bethesda Softworks and who released Wolfenstein: The New Order earlier this year. In fact, getting a Beta invite for this DOOM reboot's multiplayer was a preorder bonus for Wolfensteinso this reveal is a lot less surprising than the article suggests.

Based on Wolfenstein, I am quietly optimistic for this.

Although, I want to find the exec who decided not to call it DOOM 4 and personally feed him/her to a Cacodemon. For clarity's sake this is surely going to get a subtitle or number, or else beforever doomed to be known as Besthesda Doom, BDoom or Not Doom, since Doom is well, Doom.

I just hope they remember to keep the minimal story, maximum violence them going, Doom 3 was fine, but it would have been better with less story and MOAR SHOOTING!

MrBaskerville:
I don't know why they are so obsessed with turning Doom into some sort of storydriven horror game, just hire Slayer, Exodus, Morbid Angel and Kreator and make a kick ass action game where you dodge projectiles and kill badass demons while traversing hell, that would be soo much cooler than this boring crap.

While I support this idea 100%, I don't think that that kind of game would move the number of copies Zenimax is looking for to justify their $100+ million investment in the company. According to id, Doom 3 was their most successful game ever. They're going to try to recapture that success, rather than stick with what made the series great in the first place.

I'm not really sure who's to blame for the company's awful shift over the last decade, but I have a hunch it's Tim Willits. Everything seemed to be fine before he took over the design team, and he considers his one true hit -- Quake 3 -- to be his biggest failure.

SirBryghtside:

Vicarious Reality:
Que whoa what wait why?

It's not going to be done by the same team as The Elder Scrolls - it's going to be done by the original developers (ID Software) whose games are published by Bethesda Softworks and who released Wolfenstein: The New Order earlier this year. In fact, getting a Beta invite for this DOOM reboot's multiplayer was a preorder bonus for Wolfensteinso this reveal is a lot less surprising than the article suggests.

ID didn't make Wolfenstien New Order, Machine Games did.

ResonanceGames:

MrBaskerville:
I don't know why they are so obsessed with turning Doom into some sort of storydriven horror game, just hire Slayer, Exodus, Morbid Angel and Kreator and make a kick ass action game where you dodge projectiles and kill badass demons while traversing hell, that would be soo much cooler than this boring crap.

While I support this idea 100%, I don't think that that kind of game would move the number of copies Zenimax is looking for to justify their $100+ million investment in the company. According to id, Doom 3 was their most successful game ever. They're going to try to recapture that success, rather than stick with what made the series great in the first place.

I'm not really sure who's to blame for the company's awful shift over the last decade, but I have a hunch it's Tim Willits. Everything seemed to be fine before he took over the design team, and he considers his one true hit -- Quake 3 -- to be his biggest failure.

I think the problem is that ID Software lost all the people that made it great. John Romero and American Mcgee aren't particularily good when they work on their own, but together with Carmack they worked wonders in those early years. Now ID Software only have a flair for tech, Rage and Doom 3 were horribly designed games, but they had some impressive new tech to show off. Unfortunately good tech doesn't equal good games.

step1999:

SirBryghtside:

Vicarious Reality:
Que whoa what wait why?

Yeah, and I'd feel a lot better about the new Doom game if they were making that as well. At least we could be sure it will be a solid, fun shooter. Rage was not a game that inspired confidence.

It's Doom, no need for story, you put some random marine, that we will call Doomguy, in a room, give him a pistol, some zombie marine with their back turned to him, with a door ahead of them and here we go, you got the perfect Doom start.

That didn't look like Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson at all. I am disappoint.

Also, it should be "Doom 4," not "Doom." Stupid publishers don't know how to count. tsk tsk

step1999:

SirBryghtside:

Vicarious Reality:
Que whoa what wait why?

Huh, I didn't know that, thanks. Point still stands though - this DOOM reboot is being developed by ID and has nothing to do with The Elder Scrolls.

ResonanceGames:
I hate to be that guy, but it's "id" or "ID." The internet one day all decided to start calling them "iD," but they have never actually stylized it that way.

...the more you know.

That was probably done by people who are too accustomed to the iDevice naming scheme.

OP: Considering the last release of Doom, as essentially Doom 3: The Apology Edition, I'm willing to accept anything new with Doom these days.

ResonanceGames:

step1999:

SirBryghtside:

Yeah, and I'd feel a lot better about the new Doom game if they were making that as well. At least we could be sure it will be a solid, fun shooter. Rage was not a game that inspired confidence.

They could probably even add a totally unnecessary story to it that ends up being actually rather interesting and not conflicting with the gameplay at all.

*Looks at box of Wolfenstein: The New Order which advertises beta access to DOOM* I... I don't think this is really news... that said, I'm interested.

If it'll let me speed through levels at 40mph while carrying 10 guns at once and wildly firing from the hip at hordes of demonspawn while soaking up enough firepower to level a small city, then I'm in. If not, then it isn't really Doom, all modern advances in FPS be damned.

lets hope itīs less jumpy scary Doom and more high octane fps action like the classics, and its gonna have a awesome shotgun or two right developers...right? *gives the devs a threatening death glare*

Holy shit.

As much as I hate this "trend" (it's not even a trend actually, just blatant 'me-too'-ing) of reboots...

And as much as I have my doubts whether this new id can even scratch the surface of the old id...

It's Doom.

Cyberdemon.

Holy shit.

The main question we have to ask is: is the world ready for a new/reboot of DOOM? I'm going to go with yes, yes it is

As long as it is a throw back to the first doom game and not like the fps that we have now

-M

Wait... wasn't Doom 3 a "reboot" of sorts?.

Meh, w/e, as long as it's fun and bloody, I don't mind :)

Micah Weil:
Please don't screw this up Bethesda...
Please, please, PLEASE don't screw this up. ;.;

They didn't screw up Wolfenstein: The New Order.

Ohlookit'sMatty:
As long as it is a throw back to the first doom game and not like the fps that we have now

Shadow Warrior proved that we can have the best of both worlds. Old and new school combined into an awesome dance of violence and mutilation of demonic forces. If DooM can do something similar it will be rewarded with my attention and curiosity. If not, I guess I'll just keep playing Shadow Warrior. I can't get tired of it.

SupahGamuh:
Wait... wasn't Doom 3 a "reboot" of sorts?

Of sorts? It was a straight up reboot. Heck, the story wasn't even all that similar, aside from the basic elements, which is kind of impressive given how little story Doom started with.

josemlopes:
It doesnt seem to try to be scary and thats nice since Doom was never supposed to be scary.

The original Dooms had plenty of scary horror levels.

Anyways, I don't agree with the stuff a lot of people are saying that the game doesn't need any story and that story doesn't matter. It may have been true when JC said it when he made Doom, but guess what, that was OVER 20 YEARS AGO!

Gaming has evolved. "It's just a game", is no longer a valid excuse for a bad story. The expanded story in Doom 3 as basic as it was, was still a big step up from from the original Doom. I actually really enjoyed exploring the facility while discovering it's evil secrets.

So don't put me into the "story doesn't matter" camp.

Oh look. It's another shitty pre-rendered cinematic trailer with a shitty update to a classic enemy design, showing us absolutely nothing about the actual game. I really wish companies would stop wasting peoples time with this shit and just fuck off until they had an actual game to show people.

hakkarin:

josemlopes:
It doesnt seem to try to be scary and thats nice since Doom was never supposed to be scary.

The original Dooms had plenty of scary horror levels.

Anyways, I don't agree with the stuff a lot of people are saying that the game doesn't need any story and that story doesn't matter. It may have been true when JC said it when he made Doom, but guess what, that was OVER 20 YEARS AGO!

Gaming has evolved. "It's just a game", is no longer a valid excuse for a bad story. The expanded story in Doom 3 as basic as it was, was still a big step up from from the original Doom. I actually really enjoyed exploring the facility while discovering it's evil secrets.

So don't put me into the "story doesn't matter" camp.

First off, Doom had no scary horror levels. There were some that had slower parts, but it was all still a balls to the wall action game 99% of the time. There was no attempt at horror being made aside from a few mediocre jump scares here and there, and even those weren't really trying hard to be scary.

Second, the idea that a game can't be "just a great game" is utter bullshit. Some of the best games I've played in recent years have had story as a near after thought. Certainly they didn't put any effort into making them very good. Sometimes a game is more than strong enough in it's own right, and throwing in any more story than "here's who you are, here's who you're trying to kill or what you're trying to do," is just adding unnecessary bits to the experience. Not every game needs to have a story to be good, but I can think of plenty of games where a hell of a lot of time was wasted on a story that should have just been spent on making the actual game more fun rather than both being mediocre.

Vivi22:
First off, Doom had no scary horror levels. There were some that had slower parts, but it was all still a balls to the wall action game 99% of the time.

The pace of the game does not say anything about how scary it is. A game or a movie can be fast paced and still be a horror game. No Doom was not scary in the sense that I was afraid while playing it, but neither was Doom 3. The original Doom still had a very strong horror theme even if it was fast paced.

Here is a playthrough of "Halls of the damned" as an example of one of the more darker Doom levels:

It has a disturbing soundtrack, has the player fighting through cramped and narrow areas, and has him fighting monsters in the dark. Doom has scary levels in it, period.

Vivi22:
Second, the idea that a game can't be "just a great game" is utter bullshit. Some of the best games I've played in recent years have had story as a near after thought.

A game doesn't HAVE to have a story to be good, but it is never made worse by one.

*walks by with a "TES VI or bust" sign*

Really hope Bethesda have something more interesting to show. Not knocking Doom mind you, just wanna see a Fallout or a TES game at least announced :)

Honestly I think the best way to remake Doom would be to just locate the guy who made the "Brutal Doom" mod and put him in charge.

*Yawwwwwwwn*

Really bethesda? Really?another DOom game? Look... I love Doom as much as the next person but even I know when a franchise is done.... WHat can you really bring to the table that hasn't been done? Seriously have you seen the fan mods out there?

And of all things a reboot. Which is code for... we're making the same game all over again... which is basically been the story of DOom. Doom3 was basically a reboot of DOom1, and Doom3 BFG was a remake of the reboot and now we have another reboot of Doom? We know how the story of DOom goes! Move on already. Geez!

BigTuk:
Look... I love Doom as much as the next person

Obviously not, I'm the next person and I'm psyched.

I didn't play Doom or Doom 2 when they were big, so my first real contact with the series was Doom 3. For this reason, I may have this wrong, but I'd always figured Doom 3 was sort of a reboot of Doom to begin with. I guess I'd like to see more classic FPS games (and they have had a bit of a renaissance lately), but I dunno whether it has to be Doom of all things that gets a reboot when in my understanding it already got one. And then an HD makeover version. I'd love to see an HD Descent game, but I guess the franchise's name isn't nearly as well-known or influential as Doom.

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here