Amiibo NFC Figures for Smash Bros and Other WiiU Titles - Update

This better not be some "buy our stuff and you will always win" bs.

Amiibo NFC Figures for Smash Bros and Other WiiU Titles - Update

Nintendo brings Skylander style NFC figures to WiiU for games like Smash Bros and Mario Kart.

Read Full Article

DaViller:

Two things
1 how is your comment before the article itself
2 i agree, pay 2 win would take the piss. Espically 4 a full price game

Sure it's not original but I am intrigue as long the figure is good quality and a fair price. I got a long wait (got a 3DS but no Wii U). Still I can easily see people being pissed if their figure get damaged or lost althought isn't the most important thing is the chip inside the base?

They've made the smash bros figures into semi-real things!

I know it's stupid but I am HYPED!

CAPTCHA: Clean and shiny. They are very shiny indeed captcha. Very. Shiny. Indeed.

Dominic Crossman:

Two things

To answer 1

Itīs to illustrate that my opinion in most takes priority.

DaViller:

Dominic Crossman:

Jesus Christ. Did either of you actually read the article? Or do you both just lack ALL reading comprehension.

The figures do nothing but allow you to play with or against a custom specced computer character. The computer character will have their own unique AI and stats to keep them different from characters on other NFC toys.

The toys are not required at all. If you don't have them, then you can just use a regular AI opponent. The toys just allow you to play against custom enemies.

I actually have no clue how both of you read it as "pay to win". Seriously, please explain. I don't even understand how the toys could possibly be "pay to win" within the new Smash Bros considering how they've been explained to work.

Really, either both of you need to work on your reading comprehension, or you both need to fix your definitions on the term "pay to win".

Scarim Coral:
Sure it's not original but I am intrigue as long the figure is good quality and a fair price. I got a long wait (got a 3DS but no Wii U). Still I can easily see people being pissed if their figure get damaged or lost althought isn't the most important thing is the chip inside the base?

If you have a trophy collection, you're probably going to want to try your best to keep them minted :)

I honestly can't picture myself using them as they suggest. I'll buy them so I can have better experiences with AI opponents (I played brawl A LOT, and the level 9 AI got boring after a while). However, lugging them around in a bag from house to house and risk breaking them? No thank you.

The toys are actually a really cool idea though. It's actually awesome how they're translating the game's concept to real life. It's a bit of a money grab, but the toys haven't been shown to be at all compulsory, so it's entirely up to the player if they want to buy them and how many they want to buy.

DaViller:

From the looks of it, the Amibo is local only. I just don't see them using it online, or if they do, only using it for the For Glory modes. I really think it isn't a pay to win so much as a here's another way to play.

Don't know if I would actually buy one of these, but the figures do look very pretty. I love some of the stances, Link and Peach in particular.

Dexterity:

DaViller:

Dominic Crossman:

Jesus Christ. Did either of you actually read the article? Or do you both just lack ALL reading comprehension.

The figures do nothing but allow you to play with or against a custom specced computer character. The computer character will have their own unique AI and stats to keep them different from characters on other NFC toys.

The toys are not required at all. If you don't have them, then you can just use a regular AI opponent. The toys just allow you to play against custom enemies.

I actually have no clue how both of you read it as "pay to win". Seriously, please explain. I don't even understand how the toys could possibly be "pay to win" within the new Smash Bros considering how they've been explained to work.

Really, either both of you need to work on your reading comprehension, or you both need to fix your definitions on the term "pay to win".

Level up as you play and also gain custom-picked special moves.

That reads as gaining advantages over an opponent to me, article doesn't state you can't control the character, just that is controlled by AI (doesn't state exclusively). Unfortunately recent events have made me not take anything game makers state at face value.

Also, no need get angry or insulting, we weren't trying to aggravate anyone, just stating our worries.

Edit: Bloody typos

Honestly... I like this idea. A personalised bot opponent that adapts to you, if I'm reading this right. That would be a great way to insure you always have a satisfying fight, a nice addition for local matches if you want a good opponent, and a great way to tie in the whole trophy thing. I really like the figures too. They managed to make the Other M Varia Suit look Good, that takes talent.

Dominic Crossman:

Level up as you play and also gain custom-picked special moves.

That reads as gaining advantages over an opponent to me, article doesn't state you can't control the character, just that is controlled by AI (doesn't state exclusively). Unfortunately recent events have made me not take anything game makers state at face value.

Also, no need get angry or insulting, we weren't trying to aggravate anyone, just stating our worries.

Edit: Bloody typos

You actually have no idea what you're talking about...

Watch the segment of the digital event where they talk about the damn toys. The characters are AI only. You won't be able to control the characters at all. I actually don't see how they could make that fact anymore clear.

In fact, even the article makes it clear that the characters from the toys are computer controlled ONLY.

And no I wasn't being angry or insulting. I just find your logic so painfully confusing that I think it's actually giving me a migraine.

You seriously need to fantasize about problems just so you can shit on a game? Really?

Dexterity:

You stated yourself, play WITH, which would give you an advantage or an opponent, also I'd get to doctors if your getting migraines that easily ;) (meant as a joke, not an insult, trying to clear the air)

I didn't want to sit and watch the conference, hence why I read this article.

And if I wanted to bash Nintendo I wouldn't have to make problems up. Like I stated, I'm just cynical, I hope my worries are unjustified tbh.

You know, I'm tempted to just pick up the statues. Like someone else said, Link looks great as that. Maybe I'll get smash bros for the 3DS since I don't own a Wii U and all. Also, getting a new PC, so have to save up for that console if I want to get it.

Let's hope they make one for Palutena and Pit. I kind of like those designs in smash bros. As well as Fire Emblem statues. Hopefully, Chrom will be one of those.

Dominic Crossman:

You stated yourself, play WITH, which would give you an advantage or an opponent

Have you ever even played a Smash Bros game? Because from the sound of everything you've said, it seems like you've never even played a multiplayer game before.

If you really don't want to use the fucking toys then don't use them. You're scared that your friend will have the upper hand over you? Then just don't let them put the toy on the controller.

There is no possible way that these are pay to win. There is literally no advantage that these give. You do realize that without the toy that it's still possible to create an AI ally to fight alongside you, right?

You've been imagining problems from the get go, and no, saying "I'm cynical" isn't an excuse for spouting out complete garble when you're so uneducated about the subject.

I"m kind of looking forward to this, but in all honesty I probably won't own a Wii U before buying one of these Amiibos (that's gonna take some getting used to).

I've always found physical toys or dolls to be lacking when it comes to video game products. Sure you have the occasional Kratos figure here, a fragile Bayonetta figure there, and a fairly outstanding Samus figure once in a blue moon. But overall they've been hard to find, say a Princess Peach that wasn't meant to be a keychain or something.

I speak only from the viewpoint of someone that wants products that reach beyond the realm of the digital experience (once in a while), so I guess these will have to do for now.

Dexterity:

Dominic Crossman:

You stated yourself, play WITH, which would give you an advantage or an opponent

Have you ever even played a Smash Bros game? Because from the sound of everything you've said, it seems like you've never even played a multiplayer game before.

If you really don't want to use the fucking toys then don't use them. You're scared that your friend will have the upper hand over you? Then just don't let them put the toy on the controller.

There is no possible way that these are pay to win. There is literally no advantage that these give. You do realize that without the toy that it's still possible to create an AI ally to fight alongside you, right?

You've been imagining problems from the get go, and no, saying "I'm cynical" isn't an excuse for spouting out complete garble when you're so uneducated about the subject.

How do these comments imply I've never played mp games b4? Throwing out random quips like that what makes me think your angry (along with the with the swearing)

Anyways, to answer your q ive played ssbb, was alright at it but majority of friends were better :s

As for You do realize that without the toy that it's still possible to create an AI ally to fight alongside you, right? No I didn't tbh, although what the toys are for then? Elaborate memory cards?

After this comment I'm not going to make another reply because we've (as in both you and me) lowered this into a petty internet argument (instead of a discussion) so I'm going to leave. I will read any reply if you want to send one.

Dominic Crossman:
No I didn't tbh, although what the toys are for then? Elaborate memory cards?

The regular AI use normal movesets and have no stat alterations. The AI is also pretty much the same for every fight, so even the hardest difficulty CPU is easy to beat if you're good at the game.

The NFC characters will have custom movesets, have different stats and apparently the AI will change as they're fought against, so it means that they let players essentially change the AI of the CPU, making them beneficial to players who want to change things up.

Dominic Crossman:
Two things

I think it was because I updated the article, which changes the time stamp.

Yeah, I think N knows better than to make Smash play-to-win. It's their only game taken seriously in the competitive ring. I expect, like items, Amiibos will be something that can be disabled. They seem like they will be used as a practice tool and something to show off to your friends. Maybe like cock-fighting? Huh, yeah... I could see that.

I also thought that it's a little odd that one incentive is to have the Amiibo play against other Amiibos. Quite literally, if you pay extra money you can get something that will play the game for you, but it doesn't make any progress in the game. I expect to see the comments on r/gaming, GAF, or /v/ that this the end of gaming.

haha, no

the figurine thing is not for competitive play

why would they even do that

also, you can't be arsed to watch a three minute video, but you claim your opinion is the best? you're either being ignorant, or you're just pretending to be, and i don't got time for either

I'm like 600% not sure how i feel about this, it's sort of skylandery but at the same time not? I'll need to see where this goes

So... what they're like Pokemon?
Yeah, you collect, trade, and level them up to fight each-other, they're Pokemon!
Nintendo are selling physical versions of Pokemon modeled after Nintendo characters to be used in Smash Bros...
...Huh...

Zacharious-khan:
I'm like 600% not sure how i feel about this, it's sort of skylandery but at the same time not? I'll need to see where this goes

I'm with you on this one bro.

I will let my wallet dictate my purchase....but until then.

Nintendo seems to be paying more attention to the internet at least, they referenced the Luigi death-glare in one of the videos.

Well, between this and having the Mii's as playable characters with custom movesets we could see some very interesting matchups as the AI learns your style and how to counter it...

I do hope that Super Smash Bros 3DS can use this system once the adapter is released otherwise I may have to buy a WiiU

Captcha: fair and square

I kind of want the Link and Donkey Kong ones....

I dont own a wiiU yet but apparently they will have 3ds uses, so as long as they aren't astronomically expensive I might get just those two.

Eh, I probably would have gotten most of the figures even if they were just figures in the usual sense. I am glad it's more or less about enhancing the games rather than being essential to play them. Plus, the idea of possibly getting AI enemies that are even smarter than level 9 CPUs is really cool.

that Samus one is miiiiiiiine!!!

If you played Pokemon Rumble U then you know this will be an unmitigated disaster.

Seriously, I am a fucking adult, don't make me fucking have to find bullshit "rare" figurines to play the game I bought for your dedicated gaming PC that I also bought. I don't want to have to get a fucking toy chest to play games you horrible sods.

Everyone who likes this is a damn child that either through parents or denial will buy these things.

Fenrox Jackson:
If you played Pokemon Rumble U then you know this will be an unmitigated disaster.

Seriously, I am a fucking adult, don't make me fucking have to find bullshit "rare" figurines to play the game I bought for your dedicated gaming PC that I also bought. I don't want to have to get a fucking toy chest to play games you horrible sods.

Everyone who likes this is a damn child that either through parents or denial will buy these things.

Again, like it was stated by Nintendo, the SSB figurines are only an evolving AI that can be trained and improved, but totally optional. No advantage, no requirements, just a fun little thing to go with nice statues that can decorate a space, while being heavily inspired by the core theme of Smash Bros.

Chaos James:

Fenrox Jackson:

Again, like it was stated by Nintendo, the SSB figurines are only an evolving AI that can be trained and improved, but totally optional. No advantage, no requirements, just a fun little thing to go with nice statues that can decorate a space, while being heavily inspired by the core theme of Smash Bros.

I don't like the idea of an aspect of the game being locked out until you buy a figurine. Did you play Pokemon Rumble U game? It has coins that are ONLY useable on figurines, coins have no other purpose and figurines only level up if you own the figurine. You don't NEED any of them, you can get maxxed out pokemon in game, they are just optional.

But they aren't, leveling up figurines is a whole aspect of gameplay that is removed for me. Just like leveling up an AI fighting buddy that requires that you buy these figurines.

THE KICKER: The Pokemon Rumble U figurines were a limited offer from gamestop only. There is no reason to trust this company with this. And these things are still a horrible idea.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here