Zelda Wii U is Open World, Coming 2015

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Zelda Wii U is Open World, Coming 2015

The upcoming Zelda title for Wii U lets you tackle any area from any direction.

Read Full Article

Lastly, we unfortunately won't be able to play this new title this year, as Nintendo confirmed the game will release some time in 2014.

Steve, you tell me the game isn't coming out this year, yet you put 2014. This can only me one thing...I've time traveled back to E3 of 2013! I'm a time lord apparently! XD

OT: Welp, seems 2015 is the year my wallet cries when it comes to games coming out. Definitely getting this one. Hopefully it doesn't use motion controls like Skyward Sword did, because I hated that with a passion. So give us possible GameCube or Pro Controller support Nintendo. >:3

Neronium:

Lastly, we unfortunately won't be able to play this new title this year, as Nintendo confirmed the game will release some time in 2014.

Steve, you tell me the game isn't coming out this year, yet you put 2014. This can only me one thing...I've time traveled back to E3 of 2013! I'm a time lord apparently! XD

Quickly, we must go back to the future. Get the car.

OT: Finally. I was always wondering when a Nintendo would make another good open world RPG. Haven't seen one from them in a while.

Okay Nintendo, you've got my attention.

This looks nice, this looks fresh, but more than that this looks different from the plastic toy aesthetic you've been using for years now.

Looks like I'll be picking up a Wii-U once they drop the price to about 200.

Zelda Scrolls: Hyrule.

Looks seriously pretty, and I love Link's design.

Pic #3 looks promising!

Now, if only hadn't abandoned consoles after the Gamecube... Now I would have to invest too much money, as my only (seldomly used) TV is an ancient CRT with a rather noticably green-tinted picture

It will be hilarious when the game comes out, it's as big (or close to) as Skyrim and it has 11000x less bugs than Bethesda could ever manage.

Also I hope to God that monster was just for show. That already was OP as fuck.

Daystar Clarion:

That protagonist is right handed, and wears blue instead of green. Maybe, just maybe, we're playing Zelda in this game? I'd welcome it.

I really enjoyed the freedom in A Link Between Worlds so this is good news for me!

That's a lady!

Pedro The Hutt:

Daystar Clarion:

That protagonist is right handed, and wears blue instead of green. Maybe, just maybe, we're playing Zelda in this game? I'd welcome it.

The blue design looks like Link from Wind Waker before he got his hero clothes, maybe this is Lady Link before she becomes a hero?

Scribblesense:
That's a lady!

I wouldn´t mind a female link but that there was a dude. A very beatiful dude with elegant facial features and a.... I´m getting of topic.

Pedro The Hutt:

Daystar Clarion:

That was actually the first thing I thought when I looked. Are we getting to play as Zelda this time? Then I kind of doused that thought because link has always looked kind of girly and Nintendo has always been really conservative with change. I would love it to be Zelda. I just see it as very very unlikely that they will switch from link.

SO PRETTY! :D

All in-engine too, apparently. 2015 is going to kill my wallet.

Andy Shandy:

Anybody else reminded of Princess Mononoke?

Since when is Link a right-handed lady in a blue tunic?

it looks lovely but... the open world is what I was afraid of. The reason I like Zelda is the tight, deliberate design and a very clear sense of progression. It's the way everything seems to click together. I didn't get that from Link Between the Worlds. I hope they know what they're doing but evidence of last years suggests otherwise.

Pedro The Hutt:

Gabanuka:

The right handed version came from Skyward Sword (since you're using the waggle stick to sword fight, and more people are right handed, Link became right handed).

The blue tunic though (and the ponytail) those are new.

I don't understand...
While everything on the nature and backgrounds like the grass,rocks,and trees look so nice and detailed and amazing,character models such as Link's lack detail in a disproportionate excessive manner,making it seem like someone took the models of some other game and threw them on the world of another game.

The world looks new gen,link looks like he popped from the Gamecube era.

Eclipse Dragon:

Pedro The Hutt:

Gabanuka:

The right handed version came from Skyward Sword (since you're using the waggle stick to sword fight, and more people are right handed, Link became right handed).

The blue tunic isn't new. It's what both the Wind Waker and Skyward Sword links wore before you got the main outfit and you get it in Wind Waker after you beat the game. As for whether it's Link or not, I'm pretty sure it is.

ToastiestZombie:

The blue tunic isn't new. It's what both the Wind Waker and Skyward Sword links wore before you got the main outfit and you get it in Wind Waker after you beat the game. As for whether it's Link or not, I'm pretty sure it is.

True, but I wonder if he'll wear it the whole game, or if he'll get the green cloths eventually.

Casual Shinji:

Andy Shandy:

Anybody else reminded of Princess Mononoke?

Replace the horse by a deer like creature and it sure fit.

ToastiestZombie:

Eclipse Dragon:

Pedro The Hutt:

Gabanuka:

Link also got a blue tunic as an upgrade in Link to the Past and Ocarina of Time.

I'm really not seeing how/why people are claiming Link's a chick here or whatever. It's pretty clearly a male Link, just like every other Zelda game ever made. He's got a ponytail now, that's the only difference.

Agayek:
I'm really not seeing how/why people are claiming Link's a chick here or whatever. It's pretty clearly a male Link, just like every other Zelda game ever made. He's got a ponytail now, that's the only difference.

Probably because after almost thirty years of getting kidnapped, people want to see a Zelda game where the titular character is in charge of the adventure that isn't developed by Philips.

Agayek:

The whole reveal kinda hints at it; Aunoma is talking about rethinking conventions, mentions giant monsters in a peaceful world and says in English (as if to draw attention to it) "that's one convention that won't change!" And then they go into the action scene.

The cloak flourish reveals the ponytail, and the character's figure is definitely feminine. Watch it in full screen HD:

http://youtu.be/VcYXX4TUK4I

She definitely has breasts, plus rosier cheeks and thicker eyelashes. It's a lady.

Pedro The Hutt:

Daystar Clarion:

Link was made a righty for the Wii games Twilight Princess and Skyward Sword, since like 90% of people are right-hand dominant or ambi-dextrous. He was always a left-handed before that. Its likely that they just kept that change, maybe without even realizing it. That, or they somehow shoe-horned motion controls into this one.

and Nintendo just bent everyone over their knee and spanked the ever living HELL out of them. Seriously, all they need to do is show 30 second of gameplay and the world LOSES it. Also interesting that Link wasn't shown with a sword.

Probably because after almost thirty years of getting kidnapped, people want to see a Zelda game where the titular character is in charge of the adventure that isn't developed by Philips.

That's what Hyrule Warriors is for

Great! Now Ive got to borrow someones WiiU for a few weeks....or buy one, I suppose.

Looks vibrant and full of life. I'll enjoy this :)

wooty:
Great! Now Ive got to borrow someones WiiU for a few weeks....or buy on, I suppose.

Buy one, you know you want to.

Hm I find it interresting that links not even carrying a sword. Maybe the bow will replace the master sword as links primary weapon, using different arrow types as substitutes for items.

BLUE Link? 0/10. Don't need to see anymore, game already fails.

No but seriously, an open world Zelda game? that just sounds AWESOME! I mean, the old Zelda games weren't exactly strictly linear, you could still go around to different places and what not, you just unlocked them in a certain order. But this is full out open world, yee-haw!

Now get working on a Metroid game for the WiiU. Seriously. -_-
Open world Metroid...? :o

Scribblesense:
The whole reveal kinda hints at it; Aunoma is talking about rethinking conventions, mentions giant monsters in a peaceful world and says in English (as if to draw attention to it) "that's one convention that won't change!" And then they go into the action scene.

The cloak flourish reveals the ponytail, and the character's figure is definitely feminine. Watch it in full screen HD:

http://youtu.be/VcYXX4TUK4I

She definitely has breasts, plus rosier cheeks and thicker eyelashes. It's a lady.

I'm really not seeing the figure you're trying to say is there. I can't see any sign of breasts or anything of the sort.

As for the face, well, compare:

I can't see any appreciable differences that don't come down to the overall art style and graphical engine of each. At most, the new Link has a slightly thinner face, but it's hard to tell for sure with the way the lightning removes the definition along the jawline.

It does look beautiful in motion. The screenshots fooled me into thinking the art style looked like one big bad mesh job. Loving the emphasis on free-world roaming, since that's the main thing I took away from old titles like Link to the Past. I'll be worried when it starts playing a lot like Skyrim, though, with multiple dungeons and chests guarded by big skeletons.

Oh, I'm not fooling myself. I'd still play that to completion.

Pedro The Hutt:

Daystar Clarion:

Or even better. A female Link. Lynk if you will.

Here, try this image:

Eyelashes are much thicker, the character designer's shorthand for "this is a female!"
Plus, she has a thin waist and wider hips. I can't not see a lady.

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here