Sony is Making a Sonic the Hedgehog Movie

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Sony is Making a Sonic the Hedgehog Movie

sonic

Way past cool. Can really move. Ninten-DON'T. Chili dog. Pick your favorite reference.

If there is a movie based on a video game in some stage of development, chances are pretty good it's happening at Sony. The film arm of the company has the screen rights to everything from Angry Birds to Metal Gear to Heavy Rain to Rollercoaster Tycoon, having effectively cornered the market without actually having made any of the proposed features. But now they're said to be moving forward on one of their priority projects: Sonic the Hedgehog.

Said Sony Pictures production president Hannah Minghella: "There are limitless stories to tell with a character like Sonic the Hedgehog." The film, however - described as a "live-action/CGI hybrid" - will follow the story from most of the games, with Sonic in conflict with his nemesis Dr. Eggman over the safety of Sonic's animal friends. It is presumed that Eggman (for a time known as "Robotnik" to Western fans) will be played by a human actor while Sonic is animated, though no casting has been announced.

The actual filmmaking will be done by Marza Animation Planet, a Japanese feature-animation studio owned by Sonic rights-holders Sega Sammy. Marza was previously responsible for the animated Sonic short-subject Night of The Werehog.

Source: Deadline

Somebody already made a Sonic teh Hedgehog 20 minute movie thing
It sucked.

Objectable:
Somebody already made a Sonic teh Hedgehog 20 minute movie thing
It sucked.

So?

Sonic's had quite a few cartoon series already, and most of them have been quite good.

Sonic The Hedgehod.

Maybe I'm justb eing too nitpicky though. But you misspelled that. If I spelled misspelled right.

Regardless, I just hope they don't do sonic '06's plot... But let's wait and see whatt hey come up with.

Gee, what a totally-brilliant idea.

MovieBob:
to Metal Gear to Heavy Rain

I was skimming through so fast that for a second there I was thinking you were referencing Heavy Gear.

I can fathom people wanting to make a movie from a franchise with at least passable story telling (Tomb Raider, Uncharted, etc), but Sonic? Yeesh, you'd think they'd learn something by the terrible reception ever game tends to get these days.

MovieBob:
"live-action/CGI hybrid"

Welp, that isn't a good sign.

hickwarrior:

Sonic The Hedgehod.

Maybe I'm justb eing too nitpicky though. But you misspelled that. If I spelled misspelled right.

Regardless, I just hope they don't do sonic '06's plot... But let's wait and see whatt hey come up with.

Who would be braindead enough to use that terrible story again?

RealRT:

hickwarrior:

Sonic The Hedgehod.

Well, I did hear they got ASM 1&2. I'm pretty sure they'd do everything if desperate enough. Except the obvious.

I wonder who will play live-action Eggman... and, if possible, could they NOT make him look like the Eggman from Sonic 06...

Other than that... uh... can this movie have a Jaleel White cameo?

Why a live-action/CGI hybrid? those things rarely turn out right. just go full CGI and be done with it.

Saulkar:

MovieBob:

I was skimming through so fast that for a second there I was thinking you were referencing Heavy Gear.

whoa you just hit me with a nostalgia train i haven't seen that in years.

anyway...if they could somehow make a movie of sonic 3 and knuckles i think there's enough there for a decent story and its far better than anything afterwards besides sonic adventure 1, or sonic battle I guess.

Considering that the worst part of Sonic is the characters (With few exceptions) and the story, this seems like a terrible idea. Atleast it canīt be as awful as that gritty "thing" they released on Youtube a while back...

I would be curious if they went with costumes instead of CGI, just because it could be hilariously awful in a good way.

heroicbob:

Saulkar:

MovieBob:

whoa you just hit me with a nostalgia train i haven't seen that in years.

You should check out the Heavy Gear Assault game. Unfortunately the early backer program where you can get into the alpha testing is over but hopefully an open beta will happen in a few months.

hickwarrior:

RealRT:

hickwarrior:

Well, I did hear they got ASM 1&2. I'm pretty sure they'd do everything if desperate enough. Except the obvious.

That's different. ASM 1-2 didn't have terrible stories that were already used in other incarnations and adaptations, they had original terrible stories.

Now that I saw that the movie is going to be live action/CGI hybrid, I say there's absolutely no hope. Every live-action adaptation of a cartoon character with CGI sucked major balls.

RealRT:

Now that I saw that the movie is going to be live action/CGI hybrid, I say there's absolutely no hope. Every live-action adaptation of a cartoon character with CGI sucked major balls.

I don't see why they would do that either. Why not animation? Guess we'll have to wait and see where they go with this.

Ok, Sony, take a step back and have a look at Eggman. He is a really goofy looking, not at all threatening cartoon character, isn't he? And you want a live actor to play him? Dear me, good luck with that.

Unless maybe...

I hope they don't have a human fall in love with Sonic, it wouldn't be weird (well, it would) but it would just serve to reaffirm all the slash-fic writers who have spent countless minutes typing out their Sonic sex fantasies.

there already was a sonic movie a while back in the late 1990s.. it was called Sonic the Hedgehog: the movie.. it had a english dub back in 2004... i think ADV put it out here in the US.. there apparently were some scenes removed because as a Japanese anime it had scene too "extreme for US viewers" Tails holding some chick named Sara's breasts in his hands.. Robotnik groping Sara, sonic looking up Sara's dress, sonic flipping someone off, a dream thing where Sara is pregnant and breastfeeding... wonder if their be any panty shots in this sonic film, lol

*shuffles papers* So, new sonic movie right? Over a decade late for that to be relevant, and many bad games for that to seem an easy success. It could be the nail in the coffin it's diehards have been building for quite some time. If it was me? I'd go as big as I could get with it, and script it in the same dark humor that Sonic SatAM was. Robotnik genuinely villainous, Sonic dropping the sludge of 90s characterization. Kill Tails, if nothing more then to have that one moment that freaks the fans out.

I'm surprised by the lack of knowledge here regarding Sonic's storytelling potential.

Sonic has had 4 animated TV series (a 5th on the way), a 1 hour long animated movie, and 2 long running comic series, one of which lasted 9 years, the other of which started in 1993 and continues to this day (not to mention it's assorted spin offs).

A full feature movie would be a drop in the ocean compared to the huge amount of storytelling that has already been done with Sonic and Sonic-related universes.

Eric the Orange:

MovieBob:
"live-action/CGI hybrid"

Those were my thoughts too.... All I can think of if is things like Smurfs and Yogi Bear... how awful THEY turned out. Pure animation would've been a better bet, like what Ratchet and Clank and Sly Cooper are doing. I just can't see this working however they do it. Sonic and real Humans don't belong together, otherwise we may end up with something like a movie version of Sonic 06.... OH GOD NOOOO!!!

Robotnik 4 lyf yo.

Also this thing will die, and die painfully.

Sounding good, then I saw the live action/CGI part. Don't do that crap Sony. I don't want to see even a single frame of that awkward mess. Just go full CGI so the character designs don't clash. In fact you be wasting money having to pay a big name celeb who would still have to go through hours of hair and make up to look like Eggman. Just hire the games' VAs for slightly more than their usual salaries and skip giving oodles of money to overpaid Hollywood stars with no vocal range beyond their normal voice and, therefor, no business in a sound booth. You won't need star power to sell Sonic.

"There are limitless stories to tell with a character like Sonic the Hedgehog." There limitless stories to tell about a character made out of a steaming pile of fecal matter, but you don't see dozens of continuities about Mr. Hankey or the Great Mighty Poo, do you? Sony is just looking for another crutch to support their dying film studio, and considering how Spider Mehng turned out to be not as much of a cash cow as they had hoped, they'll probably green light a Sonic movie and at least one of the more reasonable ideas on that list. (If they make a Roller Coaster Tycoon movie, they deserve to go bankrupt. Battleship's sour taste still lingers in movie goers' throats.)

Chimpzy:
Ok, Sony, take a step back and have a look at Eggman. He is a really goofy looking, not at all threatening cartoon character, isn't he? And you want a live actor to play him? Dear me, good luck with that.

Unless maybe...

Thank you, Nostalgia Critic, for frightening Eggman clips. If they used SatAM's Robotnik look, I'd see it even if the movie was crap. I'd cease my embargo on movie theaters if they also based this movie on SatAM entirely.

Armadox:
*shuffles papers* So, new sonic movie right? Over a decade late for that to be relevant, and many bad games for that to seem an easy success. It could be the nail in the coffin it's diehards have been building for quite some time. If it was me? I'd go as big as I could get with it, and script it in the same dark humor that Sonic SatAM was. Robotnik genuinely villainous, Sonic dropping the sludge of 90s characterization. Kill Tails, if nothing more then to have that one moment that freaks the fans out.

Two bad games are many now?

Why not make it a normal animated feature? I predict it will turn out like the Smurf movies.

"There are limitless stories to tell with a character like Sonic the Hedgehog."

Really? Really?

Well I see no way this endeavour could end badly, though that might just be because I have my safety blindfold on.

*cringe* please go back on that, Robotnik despite his being a human is still as much of a cartoon character as the rest of the cast.

I agree a Sonic movie could work, and work really well...but ...screwing it up is so easy as well.

RealRT:

Armadox:

Two bad games are many now?

Really? Out of all the things I said, that is the one thing you chose to focus on? Sonic '06, Shadow the Hedgehog, Sonic.. what's that one he's a werewolf. Yah, we'll add that one too. Sonic R. Now, obviously this was an opinion and you could easily have taken it as such, but it seems odd that you chose to call me out on that rather then discuss, say using a SatAM like script (or pulling from some of the comics). Hell, I'd have thought the killing Tails comment would have caused more issue.

*thinks it over* That being said, the live action doesn't actually bother me. Not really, you give it a good plot and get a decent studio to do the editing, and I can sit through it. I am just curious how they plan to represent actual speed in it, and how absolutely broken it'd be to watch if they tried to aim it for 3D. Blurry jump cuts framed by sloppy stop motion where they throw things at the screen. Radical!*

I don't know, honestly I'd like to see the Roboticizer as a threat. That'd amuse me.

* I hope I'm using that word right. I'm 28, and the 90s are fuzzy. Pogs still cool?

Eric the Orange:

MovieBob:
"live-action/CGI hybrid"

Nope. No it is not. Reminds me of Sonic 06. Realistic people with cartoony characters like sonic. It just doesn't work... Who knows, maybe it'll be good. MAYBE... Probably not.

crazygameguy4ever:
there already was a sonic movie a while back in the late 1990s.. it was called Sonic the Hedgehog: the movie.. it had a english dub back in 2004... i think ADV put it out here in the US.. there apparently were some scenes removed because as a Japanese anime it had scene too "extreme for US viewers" Tails holding some chick named Sara's breasts in his hands.. Robotnik groping Sara, sonic looking up Sara's dress, sonic flipping someone off, a dream thing where Sara is pregnant and breastfeeding... wonder if their be any panty shots in this sonic film, lol

I remember that movie! So cheesy, so hammy - and so funny!

On topic: OK, this new concept reeks of turkey already, but I say we give it the benefit of the doubt for the time being. Come on: Who doesn't, on some level, WANT to see Dr. Eggman portrayed by a human actor? Who knows - if they can pull THAT off, there HAS to be hope!

MrHide-Patten:
I can fathom people wanting to make a movie from a franchise with at least passable story telling (Tomb Raider, Uncharted, etc), but Sonic? Yeesh, you'd think they'd learn something by the terrible reception ever game tends to get these days.

Now, you see, Sonic has the longest running video game comic series of all time.
There is so much to work off of in that comic that it will be hard for them to screw it up.
Unless they ignore that canon, of course.

LOL is this for real?

First thing that came to my mind:

http://sonicmovie.ytmnd.com/

:P

This is going to be awful, isn't it?
Now before I go on, let me elaborate on one thing. I LOVE Sonic the Hedgehog, it's my favourite video game franchise and probably my favourite media franchise as well, and I can see why they would choose sonic to adapt because for a video game character his journeys into other media have actually been pretty successful.
But this movie is not going to be good.
First, its a live-action hybrid movie, and since every character except Dr Robotnik is a cartoon animal there's no reason to have it be partially live action unless it does the Smurfs shit and take it into "our world" which didn't work for the Smurfs either.
Two, it's production team looks AWFUL. Neal Moritz may have been behind 21/22 Jump Street but he was also behind xXx, Not another Teen Movie and the Fast and the Furious movies which is now up to what, number 7 in development, and two complete nobodies whose only previous work, an unpublished script for a Chewbacca movie was so awful it topped the 2011 Hollywood blacklist. We all remember how the Wookies made the Star Wars Christmas special so great, eh?
And three, there has yet to be a truly GOOD video game movie. I don't count Wreck It Ralph because that was a movie about video games than a video game movie, and although Sonic's previous alternate media have been generally viewed as mostly successful, it is much easier to write a single episode of a TV show or a single issue of a comic book than it is to write a 90 minute movie with a clear beginning, middle and end.
Four, does this really have to be a franchise?!! Can't they just have a self contained story that doesn't need to constantly be parasitcally fed on like a tarantula to the wasp maggots?
All in all, while this could be done right, this is NOT the right way to do it. All it's doing is reminding me of is the Smurfs movie an that is NOT a route that Sony want to take, and Sega doesn't need the extra black mark on the Sonic franchise. Please Sega/sony, just scrap this and start again. preferably as a full animated feature.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here