Legend of Korra: Book Three Trailer Released Early

Legend of Korra: Book Three Trailer Released Early

The Legend of Korra: Book Three trailer was released after a portion of the upcoming season leaked.

Because someone goofed, we get a surprise treat.

On June 3rd, co-creator Michael DiMartino announced on his tumblr that production of Book Three: Change was complete. On June 7th, Nickelodeon's Mexican affiliate MundoNick accidentally posted a few of the episodes, according to Hypable (spoilers are available in that link, but they are hidden, so it is safe to visit). Other co-creator, Bryan Konietzko, said on his tumblr "Thanks to the shenanigans of Leaky McLeakerpants, we have released the *OFFICIAL* Book 3 trailer early."

The Legend of Korra: Book Three trailer and a release date were expected at San Diego Comic-Con. Book 2 saw a premiere of the first episode and a trailer release at SDCC in 2013 and the season began to air two months later - and expected a similar pattern for Book Three.

For those unfamiliar, "Book" pretty much equals "season" for Legend of Korra and the series preceding it, Avatar: The Last Airbender.

legend of korra

Discussion of the trailer below contains spoilers for Avatar: The Last Airbender and Legend of Korra Books One and Two.

The first thing that stuck me about the trailer was the music. It starts of low and tense, reminded me of Hans Zimmer's work on The Dark Knight trilogy. It's still very "Korra", but it definitely has that feel, especially through the build up and all the way to the end of the trailer.

During the building progression, the events shown in the trailer increase in their emotional impact, especially some of the familiar faces, all the fighting, and Korra standing near a spirit - and I guess lava-bending is a thing now?

Which characters show up? Basically, all the main cast from the previous books. Meelo shows up more than I expected, and Jinora appears to still be interacting with the spiritual side of life and getting into trouble. There are also what appear to be a bunch of airbenders? Tonraq, Korra's father, and Aubrey Plaza's Eska, Korra's cousin, also make appearances.

Oh, and apparently Zuko! It was mentioned in the series that he was still alive and it seems that finally he is making an appearance, sporting a beard similar to his uncle, Iroh, and doing a little firebending.

There were a few I couldn't place, such as the young woman with an eye on her forehead, similar to Combustion Man from Book Three of Avatar: The Last Airbender. Also, there were a few shots from a prison cell featuring a long-haired man. In one of the clips he is sporting some Khal Drogo style tattoos, although it could be a different guy in this clip. Is this someone from the previous books that I'm forgetting? Also, who is the waterbending woman in a cage?

After getting a brief hint at where the series might be going, it looks like Book Three might be more grounded than Book Two. Of course, Book Two was entirely about the spirits and now Korra has lost her connection to the past Avatars. Still, with the bridge between the spirit and physical worlds open, I expect we will see some trouble with spirits in Book Three.

Below are some screenshots from the trailer, because the art of Legend of Korra is absolutely gorgeous. Now, I'm going to watch that trailer a few dozen more times.

I didn't really expect them to continue the series after Book 2. The finally seemed to solidify the thing being all wrapped up and that there would be peace finally. I guess it wasn't too hard for them to create some sort of evil villains to disrupt the tranquility set up from that previous point.

I'm thinking that guy in that prison cell is the villain. Is that airbending he's using? Either he's a long lost airbender who's come to rule the world or there is someone else with avatar abilities.

Saucycarpdog:
I'm thinking that guy in that prison cell is the villain. Is that airbending he's using? Either he's a long lost airbender who's come to rule the world or there is someone else with avatar abilities.

@ 38 secs, Bumi airbending, Bumi is not a bender. My guess is, people have found ways to learn.
Probably because of the spirits, it was the lion turtles that gave people bending in the first place.

It should be noted that lava-bending's been a thing for a while now. Roku was shown using it back in Book 3 of The Last Airbender when handling that volcano. It's a combination of Firebending and Earthbending, IIRC.

Despite not beig a fan of this series, it's nice to see traditional animation of this quality still being produced in the West.

Deathfish15:
I didn't really expect them to continue the series after Book 2. The finally seemed to solidify the thing being all wrapped up and that there would be peace finally. I guess it wasn't too hard for them to create some sort of evil villains to disrupt the tranquility set up from that previous point.

They are set up for four books total.

Saucycarpdog:

I didn't even think of that!

Eclipse Dragon:
@ 38 secs, Bumi airbending, Bumi is not a bender. My guess is, people have found ways to learn.
Probably because of the spirits, it was the lion turtles that gave people bending in the first place.

Oh wow, I didn't even catch that Bumi was bending. I was too hype.

jurnag12:
It should be noted that lava-bending's been a thing for a while now. Roku was shown using it back in Book 3 of The Last Airbender when handling that volcano. It's a combination of Firebending and Earthbending, IIRC.

Yeah, there was some lava-bending. I guess I meant now it's a thing for normal benders as well.

It looks alot better than the last 2 seasons but in my case it is too little too late. I am either indifferent or outright hate all of the characters and not even what looks like an apperance by Zuko can make me give this show a third chance.

But I do hope the fans of the show are not disappointed again. From what I have seen even people who like the show were disappointed with how book 2 went down.

Helllll yes! Happy with the last 2 seasons. Can't wait for more!

Looks like there's some jail-break orchestrated by the woman with the third-eye Combustion Man tattoo, and she gets herself a gang comprised of the apparently renegade old/bald airbender, the earthbender who can lavabend and the waterbender with no arms (the one duel-wielding water whips, you briefly she she hasn't got arms underneath them when she forms them in her prison).
Oh my god its an evil version of the Gaang!

Gizmo1990:
It looks alot better than the last 2 seasons but in my case it is too little too late. I am either indifferent or outright hate all of the characters and not even what looks like an apperance by Zuko can make me give this show a third chance.

But I do hope the fans of the show are not disappointed again. From what I have seen even people who like the show were disappointed with how book 2 went down.

I really liked Book 1 (Dat Amon!), and while Book 2 wasn't..."bad", it was really weird in how the characters would react. Korra especially (though she wasn't the only one) was very insufferable right from the start. The story itself wasn't too bad, but maybe could have used some more...fleshing out or better pacing or something.

But Book 3 looks really good. From the trailers it looks like maybe we get multiple villains, and yay for more Airbenders!

Really hoping they give Asami something to do this season. She's always such an underdog to me. =(

Xathos:

Gizmo1990:

I really liked Book 1 (Dat Amon!), and while Book 2 wasn't..."bad", it was really weird in how the characters would react. Korra especially (though she wasn't the only one) was very insufferable right from the start. The story itself wasn't too bad, but maybe could have used some more...fleshing out or better pacing or something.

But Book 3 looks really good. From the trailers it looks like maybe we get multiple villains, and yay for more Airbenders!

Really hoping they give Asami something to do this season. She's always such an underdog to me. =(

I actually liked everyone from Book Two except for Mako, but yeah, Asami needs about 300% more screen time. She's awesome. I heard someone mention that she would be in Book Three more than Two.

Casual Shinji:
Despite not beig a fan of this series, it's nice to see traditional animation of this quality still being produced in the West.

Actually it's all animated in South Korea (Studio Mir) and Japan (Studio Pierrot).

I suppose everything else is done in America though.

Oh, god damn it.

After the pretty huge disappointment that was Book 2 (apart from the Wan episodes, which were great) I really wanted to just forget about this show.

But that trailer looked fucking awesome. I know I'm probably going to be let down, but....Consider me officially hyped. Against my better judgement.

Fuck it, I'm hype.

I've been following the Avatar series since it first came out and the Korra series was okay. It sated my desire for more Avatar, but didn't expand upon that desire. This trailer, however, made me damn hyped for this.

Argh...I thought the series ended already, especially after what they did last season.

As amazing as the action and storyline seem, I am not likely to get amped,at least not until the characters become more sympathetic. As it stands, I loathe half the primary cast, and all their foolishness. At least Aang was a lovable idiot, when he was being stupid at all.

so change's an element now?

anyways im hype as shit, cant wait

Seracen:
Argh...I thought the series ended already, especially after what they did last season.

As amazing as the action and storyline seem, I am not likely to get amped,at least not until the characters become more sympathetic. As it stands, I loathe half the primary cast, and all their foolishness. At least Aang was a lovable idiot, when he was being stupid at all.

Exactly, I am entirely displeased with the current cast. Korra is just brash and bullheaded and the other characters all have significantly difficult-to-redeem problems.

At least they've gotten away from the city. Some of the charm of the original was the old world setup. The steampunk takes away the value of bending in a lot of ways.

Seracen:

hey, atleast the avatar is a real character now, as opposed to just bald Jesus

i love the new series much more than the original, and the main character cast is one of the main reasons, Korra and Asami in particular, not to mention Amon is the best villian either series has ever had... second season, ok it wasnt that great, still good tough

Well call me hyped as well.

This should be interesting, talked with a friend about it and we think since the spirit link's open this might be a "side effect" of it, like Bumi a non-bender being able to bend wind.

Or maybe it's the world trying to "balance out" the sheer lack of air bender's with "creating" more of them.

Either way, can't frakking wait to see this air. :D

Gah. Reading everyone comments and all the questions everyone is asking is killing me. KILLING ME! I read the spoilers a few days ago and I know the answers to all these questions. It's very hard not to quote all of you and spill the beans. I'm banging my head against a wall here.

Let's just say that this season, based on just the first three or four episodes, is shaping up to be amazing.

Combustion Girl?
Ex-Firelord Zuko?
Bumi Airbending?
Young Lin Beifong or Lin Beifong Jr?

Get pysched!

Now tell me when this damn thing airs!

despite the fact that some may be disappointed with the seasons prior, I still found them enjoyable when watched as a whole (did it last week even before the leak, coincidence!). Looks like they're trying to rectify a gripe people had with the last seasons with there not being enough bending battles. As far as the characters go, I still like them, but then I like my characters to be very, very, flawed.

Lightknight:

At least they've gotten away from the city. Some of the charm of the original was the old world setup. The steampunk takes away the value of bending in a lot of ways.

Something was certainly lost when they moved into the steampunk world. However, I felt it a proper way to say goodbye to the old world; and I like the way the world was crafted. I also still like the idea of the series overall. As a spectacle, the show has always entertained, and should continue to do so.

It's misleading to say I DESPISE the series. It's tough to get so emotional over a series you hate. I certainly like the lore and the world, just not all the characters. It was fun to hate Azula, it was fun to see Zuko get his humble pie and improve as a character. However, that's not something I should be wishing to see with the damn Avatar, of all people (at least, not for more than a few episodes).

NuclearKangaroo:

hey, at least the avatar is a real character now, as opposed to just bald Jesus

i love the new series much more than the original, and the main character cast is one of the main reasons, Korra and Asami in particular, not to mention Amon is the best villian either series has ever had... second season, ok it wasnt that great, still good tough

I know I am in the minority here, but I just saw last season as Korra's fault. Because of her immaturity and temper, she nearly destroyed the world. Now, I suppose that's little different from Aang's fear plunging the world into darkness, yet I somehow found that plight more sympathetic...

Also, the whole teen love triangle angst...was poorly handled. Personally, I didn't care HOW the matchups worked, or who anyone ended up with...I got over that back during the whole Aang/Zuko/Katara thing. However, I ended up disliking Korra and Mako as people; and it's hard to enjoy a series when you don't like the main characters.

Seracen:

I know I am in the minority here, but I just saw last season as Korra's fault. Because of her immaturity and temper, she nearly destroyed the world. Now, I suppose that's little different from Aang's fear plunging the world into darkness, yet I somehow found that plight more sympathetic...

Also, the whole teen love triangle angst...was poorly handled. Personally, I didn't care HOW the matchups worked, or who anyone ended up with...I got over that back during the whole Aang/Zuko/Katara thing. However, I ended up disliking Korra and Mako as people; and it's hard to enjoy a series when you don't like the main characters.

honestly thats one of the reasons i like korra so much, her objective faults, are the cause are the cause of some of the problems in the series, and she recognizes this, she knows she has flaws, thats why amon almost got her early in the series for instance

aang, even when hes "flawed" he comes off as mr perfect "oh boy my neverendling love and true compassion is causing trouble, im such a dum-dum", this is because those qualities cant be objectively considered flaws, and aang doesnt really recognizes them as such, being a good boy all the way to the end, is incredibly boring

i dont know if the love triangle was poorly handed or not, but atleast i felt some satisfaction behind the fact some true couple dinamics were finally explored, as opossed, again, to the first series, in which had took 60 episodes to make his move on katara, and of course, "they lived happily ever after, and the series is over so we will never address their life together"

NuclearKangaroo:

honestly thats one of the reasons i like korra so much, her objective faults, are the cause are the cause of some of the problems in the series, and she recognizes this, she knows she has flaws, thats why amon almost got her early in the series for instance

aang, even when hes "flawed" he comes off as mr perfect "oh boy my neverendling love and true compassion is causing trouble, im such a dum-dum", this is because those qualities cant be objectively considered flaws, and aang doesnt really recognizes them as such, being a good boy all the way to the end, is incredibly boring

i dont know if the love triangle was poorly handed or not, but atleast i felt some satisfaction behind the fact some true couple dinamics were finally explored, as opossed, again, to the first series, in which had took 60 episodes to make his move on katara, and of course, "they lived happily ever after, and the series is over so we will never address their life together"

Oh for certain. I generally like my characters to have flaws and facets. I just don't feel Korra learned from her mistakes enough to make the proper adjustments, and repeated her mistakes again. I suppose it's just degrees. I've watched far too much anime, and thus certain forms of drama and flawed behavior generally grate on me. There's no accounting for taste, right?

Agreed on the whole resolution thing though. I am almost more interested in the interim period, as it's always interesting to see the repercussions. Furthermore, I don't blame the state of the world solely on Korra. After all, if Aang had the strength of character to actually deal in finality (ie doling out death when necessary), I would say that much of Korra's society would have less to worry about.

It's a moot point though. If he'd killed Yakone, Amon might never have been...but SOMETHING would have taken his place (also, we need to have SOME conflict for there to be a new series). Still, effective rulers use both the carrot and the stick. Aang is too much carrot, and Korra is too much stick. There's a reason for that, elements affecting character and whatnot, and I understand that nuance, even if it annoys me. Again, it's just my personal hangups.

NuclearKangaroo:

I'm having trouble imagining someone change bending....

What next?
Book 4: Surprise
Book 4: Harmony
Book 4: Polonium

Right now, I'm just hoping Nickelodeon doesn't mess up the set schedule time of the new episodes... Glob forbid they feel like a day like Sunday [morning] would be justifiable, in my opinion...

TheSYLOH:

NuclearKangaroo:

I'm having trouble imagining someone change bending....

What next?
Book 4: Surprise
Book 4: Harmony
Book 4: Polonium

Book 4: Uranium
Book 4: Style
Book 4: Love

(On second thought, forget that last one...)

Sniper Team 4:
Gah. Reading everyone comments and all the questions everyone is asking is killing me. KILLING ME! I read the spoilers a few days ago and I know the answers to all these questions. It's very hard not to quote all of you and spill the beans. I'm banging my head against a wall here.

Let's just say that this season, based on just the first three or four episodes, is shaping up to be amazing.

I feel the same way, basically... In fact, the more I think about it, the more I feel I should hate Nickelodeon for basically being one of the main causes for people's polarizing opinions for the first two books...

I remembered in the last season Korra really annoyed me for some reason, but I can't remember why other than her unknowingly trying to stage a coup d'etat in Republican City by getting Admiral Iroh to disobey his democratically elected commander and chief to go and save the Southern Water Tribes.

DAMNIT, I really do not want to care about this. Book 1 was decent but anti climactic, Book 2 was a mess, I really want to stop caring about this incarnation of the Avatar.

But this trailer looks so sweet.......

SacremPyrobolum:
I remembered in the last season Korra really annoyed me for some reason, but I can't remember why other than her unknowingly trying to stage a coup d'etat in Republican City by getting Admiral Iroh to disobey his democratically elected commander and chief to go and save the Southern Water Tribes.

Korra is generally a pretty unlikable character. (pun intended) I can't stand her most of the time.

LobsterFeng:

SacremPyrobolum:

Korra is generally a pretty unlikable character. (pun intended) I can't stand her most of the time.

Whats the pun?

SacremPyrobolum:

LobsterFeng:

SacremPyrobolum:

Whats the pun?

Well she's pretty, as well being unlikable, so she's a pretty unlikable character. Ah ha ha...ha ha..ha...I'll go...

While the trailer (and the spoilers of the leaked episodes that I've read) has me hyped as hell, I have to try to remember that the same thing happened with Book 2, and that was deplorable when all was said and done.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here