We Won't Get a Guillermo del Toro Beauty and the Beast After All

We Won't Get a Guillermo del Toro Beauty and the Beast After All

Pan's Labyrinth

Del Toro has stepped down as director of the upcoming Warner Bros. adaptation of Beauty and the Beast.

No, we're not talking about Disney's live-action Beauty and the Beast adaptation (which was at one point called Beast and meant to be a retelling from his perspective) - though with the many adaptations of classic tales making the rounds lately you could be forgiven for thinking so. Instead, we're talking about the Warner Bros. adaptation of the original tale, which is a work in progress under the name Beauty, starring Emma Watson. (Though it would be interesting to see Disney's Beast and Warner Bros. Beauty competing, neither of the films have a release date and its recent director change, the Disney remake may wind up heading in a different direction.)

While we're keen on the idea of Pan's Labyrinth clashing with our Disney fairy tale preconceptions - and Labyrinth did a pretty good job of ruining the happy-go-lucky fairy tale anyway - Del Toro is no longer directing due to other commitments, though he has already penned a script. We don't yet know who will be picking up this project or how much of Del Toro's original concept will make it to the big screen... but we're still following this project with curiosity. (Possibly morbid curiosity, but curiosity nevertheless.)

Source: Deadline

Well, that sucks. I've been a big fan of a lot of del Toro movies and this is the 2nd big disappointment for me after his adaptation of At the Mountains of Madness got the ax a while ago.

I bet any money that Ron Perlman would've been Beast too. Or Gaston. Either would've been cool. Ah well, hopefully they get someone good to replace him. LIKE UWE BOLL!

Wow, first The Hobbit, now this. Del Toro seems to be having trouble getting his versions of classic stories produced.

I'm ok with this, not because I dislike Del Toro but because I dislike this trend of remaking every Disney movie in live action.

Uriel_Hayabusa:
Wow, first The Hobbit, now this. Del Toro seems to be having trouble getting his versions of classic stories produced.

The big problem is that Del Toro is kind of infamous for not budging on his budgets. He's walked away from more than one project because the studios couldn't provide him the money he needed to make the film.

Del Toro is also pretty infamous for being attached to projects then bailing.
That man has been set to direct 10x as many films as he has actually made in his career.
(Okay, I made that number up, but I'd love to get a real count.)

KefkaCultist:
Well, that sucks. I've been a big fan of a lot of del Toro movies and this is the 2nd big disappointment for me after his adaptation of At the Mountains of Madness got the ax a while ago.

I bet any money that Ron Perlman would've been Beast too. Or Gaston. Either would've been cool. Ah well, hopefully they get someone good to replace him. LIKE UWE BOLL!

Ron Perlman is Beast...and Lynda Hamilton is Beauty any other casting would be a travesty.

He probably wanted Beauty to give birth to some monster but the studio wouldnt have any of that.

Kinda disappointed in this. First he ditched The Hobbit, which became a terrible movie. Then At the Mountains of Madness.

I'm not particularly a fan of Beauty and the Beast, but I have no doubt he would have made it well and truly his own thing and definitely worth watching. Ah well.

Good, he shouldn't waste his time with this and get us an R-rated AT THE MOUNTAINS OF MADNESS already, arrrrwwwwrrr!

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here