DICE Considering "Early Access" System For Battlefield

DICE Considering "Early Access" System For Battlefield

BF4 walk

You mean Battlefield 4 wasn't already early access? Could have fooled me.

The concept of "early access" games has really taken off on Steam in recent years, with developers being able to sell an early, alpha version of their game to eager fans, whose feedback will help develop the final game. There are some drawbacks, of course, such as some developers abandoning their games before they are finished, leaving the early access buyers high and dry, but when it's done right, it can be a pretty good system. DICE and EA games are now, somewhat ironically, considering using such a system for its future Battlefield titles.

We have nothing to announce, but we are having discussions when it comes to [early access]," DICE general manager Karl Magnus Troedsson told Game Informer. "It comes not from a business perspective, but more from a perspective of if it would help us have a stable launch of the game."

If early access were to come to a head, Troedsson said he would like to involve the players as much as possible in its inception. "We would ask our players in a controlled way," he says. "We probably wouldn't open the floodgates for everyone, but we might do it for geographical territories or people who bought the last game. Yes, it is something we are considering, not from a business standpoint, but from one of creating quality in our products."

The irony comes from the fact that many felt that Battlefield 4, with its incredibly rocky launch, followed by the frequent discovery of game-breaking bugs, led many to believe it was more of an alpha product than a finished game. It got to the point where DICE had to actually halt DLC development so it could focus on fixing the broken game.

Source: Game Informer

Somehow I don't think DICE's first commitment recently has been a stable launch. Battlefield 4 had an open beta, but if you're not willing to actually fix the shit that's wrong in a timely manner, I don't know what to tell you.

Sure. From a quality standpoint. Definitely.

Steven Bogos:
You mean Battlefield 4 wasn't already early access? Could have fooled me.

God dammit Steve, I was going to make that joke :(

MeChaNiZ3D:
Somehow I don't think DICE's first commitment recently has been a stable launch. Battlefield 4 had an open beta, but if you're not willing to actually fix the shit that's wrong in a timely manner, I don't know what to tell you.

Personally, I think the reason why this game is in it's current state is because of COD: Ghosts.
If EA didn't force DICE to beat it to the selves, it then wouldn't be in it's current state.

EA with Early Access.

Oh man this is going to be a shit storm to watch from a distance with absolute glee.

It takes a lot already to get me to just an indie team to finnish a early access game. EA would find a way to fuck it up. Probably by keeping the game in alpha for a good 2 years.

are these guys for real? they didnt listen to other players opinions with the alpha version (which still worked better then the final product) and now they want to make early access for the upcoming BF title? how about they should take their time and finish the game off properly.
i still cant play BF4 after the new patch.

Well...

I'm starting to think EA are a fifth column in the triple A world trying to be the most ridiculously anti consumer publisher of them all to turn people away from bullshit practices by taking them to extremes. Or maybe they are just a lot of colossal buffoons who don't think about how people will view things like this.

Well at least if they pull this shit they might turn people off of the Early Access scams like that Earth 2066 game.

vallorn:
Well...

I'm starting to think EA are a fifth column in the triple A world trying to be the most ridiculously anti consumer publisher of them all to turn people away from bullshit practices by taking them to extremes. Or maybe they are just a lot of colossal buffoons who don't think about how people will view things like this.

Well at least if they pull this shit they might turn people off of the Early Access scams like that Earth 2066 game.

When you said buffoons..i just had to think of I am Weasel, in which case EA would be I.R.Baboon. Which begs the question who the weasel in that analogy is because i cant think of one. Long story short, there are no good publishers left, a few "decent" ones..but yeah they all pull this stuff. EA is just the kind of moron thats loud and proud about their fucking up..its like the little kid who yells loudly that he just shit his pants.

OT:
On the other hand, its hard to see how they could fuck it up more, i mean consider BF4's current state, for all intents and purposes, it might as well be Early Access already because its still not finished, yet its already sold. If done correctly, as a system, Early Access isnt bad, sure you can argue that "you pay for the right to beta" but actually you're paying for the finished future product, which might not come in case of some indies, but with EA and big publishers at the back, i dont think they'd just let some project rot in the cellar, at least it would be finished eventually, it might not be the best thing ever, but it would not get randomly abandoned.

Point being, if done right, it could work out, if done badly, its essentially the final nail in the coffin for early access.

A-D.:

vallorn:
Well...

When you said buffoons..i just had to think of I am Weasel, in which case EA would be I.R.Baboon. Which begs the question who the weasel in that analogy is because i cant think of one. Long story short, there are no good publishers left, a few "decent" ones..but yeah they all pull this stuff. EA is just the kind of moron thats loud and proud about their fucking up..its like the little kid who yells loudly that he just shit his pants.

OT:
On the other hand, its hard to see how they could fuck it up more, i mean consider BF4's current state, for all intents and purposes, it might as well be Early Access already because its still not finished, yet its already sold. If done correctly, as a system, Early Access isnt bad, sure you can argue that "you pay for the right to beta" but actually you're paying for the finished future product, which might not come in case of some indies, but with EA and big publishers at the back, i dont think they'd just let some project rot in the cellar, at least it would be finished eventually, it might not be the best thing ever, but it would not get randomly abandoned.

Point being, if done right, it could work out, if done badly, its essentially the final nail in the coffin for early access.

... could you imagine Capcom doing Early Access? "Here's the new Megaman! Buy it on Early Access!" 6 weeks later: "Oh yeah, the next Megaman has been canceled. See ya!" *drives away with all the money*

Is EA simply emulating any trend in the gaming industry involving consumer transaction? This...just looks like some weird (and blatantly insidious) grab for relevance.

DICE shouldn't need to Early Access its projects; I was under the impression Early Access was (read:SHOULD BE) a payment method for developers who had little to no funding to at least get an alpha/concept build into the wild, and consumer feedback + money would help the game develop properly. DICE should be getting funding for whatever they do through EA's approval (unless they're striking it independent now). With that, both EA and consumers expect a certain amount of presentation value out of DICE's work out of the gate. This can only smack of DICE and EA reaching into consumers' pockets.

No guys it all makes sense.

If Battlefield is early access then EA can just blame that for the reason it's a crappy barely functioning game! Even years after it's release!

Mangod:

A-D.:

vallorn:
Well...

OT:

... could you imagine Capcom doing Early Access? "Here's the new Megaman! Buy it on Early Access!" 6 weeks later: "Oh yeah, the next Megaman has been canceled. See ya!" *drives away with all the money*

I think that if Capcom did that they would finally go bankrupt or at the very least be sued to hell and back.
OT: Dear EA,
Quit while you are ahead. As much as I despise you already for a myriad amount reasons already said by everybody who has an opinion, I at least want to see something positive from you guys. An Early Access program with your track record would just piss people of the vocal minority/majority off even further.

Early Access for a AAA developer is laughable.

But that's okay, because even if they did that, it would bite them in the ass so hard they'd never think about doing it again.

Jim Sterling called it.

Hey EA! How about early access with bonus DLC packs?

42:
Jim Sterling called it.

Everybody with a brain called it. Publishers have no shame. They will do whatever they think is going to make them more money. And people will still buy their shit.

They can do with battlefield whatever they want, I stopped caring about 3 games ago. But DO NOT screw up Battlefront! Seriously. no microtransactions, no early access bullshit, no always-online DRM... just give me battlefront 2 HD and I'll be happy. bonus points for improving on it, neverending fury for screwing it up.

Too late Battlefield 4 killed the franchise, I'm never going back and now they are trying to sell a new Battlefield game less than 12 months later with the current game still utterly broken and I'm going put money on that Hardline will run the same code as BF4 and have exactly the same issues and EA will know and still sell it.

EA games on early access is like puking on a pile of shit. If those were what they considered finished games, I dread to learn what they consider early access.

Early access already is a cheap excuse for selling unfinished and buggy shit that will never be fixed. How much worse could EA mak- oh, EA, nevermind.
Now I seriously hope EA dies a painful death and all those idiots with their heads high up in the sky lose their jobs.

And the author's avatar fits perfectly well because that's how I imagine EA when I read "It comes not from a business perspective."

EA... Early Access...I kinda see where this is going.

I don't see how the game-buying public could have drunk enough of the early access koolaid that we've forgotten the whole point was to ostensibly allow devs who needed more development funds another avenue to obtain them. EA certainly needs their customers help to fund the development of their games, said no one ever.

Diablo1099:

MeChaNiZ3D:

Personally, I think the reason why this game is in it's current state is because of COD: Ghosts.
If EA didn't force DICE to beat it to the selves, it then wouldn't be in it's current state.

That sounds about right. Never attribute to negligence what can be attributed to EA. (no sarcasm, that's about how it seems to happen).

MeChaNiZ3D:
That sounds about right. Never attribute to negligence what can be attributed to EA. (no sarcasm, that's about how it seems to happen).

I mean, DICE aren't total morons, one of their employees went on a AMA and went on about how in order to get the game out, they had to work around bugs rather then playtest them.

EA doing EA... Oh.

To ask an unrelated question? Can the person running the idea of EA doing Early Access be called Old Macdonald?

But seriously...EA go ahead and do the early access thing if you want but I'll still put money on it being a buggy pile of shit at launch.

42:
Jim Sterling called it.

But will he say something about this on Monday?

OT: WHAT.THE.FUCK.EA!? YOU DON'T FUCKING NEED Early Access you PRICKS! You've actually GOT funding and man power, e.a. works for SMALL developers because of word of month and people that believe in them(for the most part). You fucking assholes, it sounds like you're just trying to sell people betas at this point then when you have all the money you can say "Oops, we can't finish the game, enjoy your broken piece of shit".

Dammit I swear if Inquisition didn't look good I'd pirate it...

So now we have the rich begging to the poor to get the goods to sell back to the poor because their own money is too good to waste on the poor?

Didnt specific ppl get paid to beta test games not that long ago?

Definately. Not. A business viewpoint. Just a cuntified one at best.

Adam Jensen:

42:
Jim Sterling called it.

Everybody with a brain called it. Publishers have no shame. They will do whatever they think is going to make them more money. And people will still buy their shit.

And yet we still don't get PC ports...awesome logic right there.

Early access and microtransactions suure, but porting our console exclusives? Never!

That's so embarrassing, being fucking DICE and admitting that you can't release stable versions of your games without going through Early Access. I'd call bullshit and say that they're just trying to mask the fact that they just want more money, all the money, faster, but they've actually proven to be that incompetent in the past. Just fucking close the studio, you talentless, lazy, disgusting cancerous sellouts.

Diablo1099:

MeChaNiZ3D:

I mean, DICE aren't total morons, one of their employees went on a AMA and went on about how in order to get the game out, they had to work around bugs rather then playtest them.

Can you post a link, because I'd like to see that. Condsidering the shit EA got into with shareholders, I can't imagine someone admitting "yeah, we knew we were releasing bullshit," and the resulting backlash not burning EA to the ground. Or at the very least, that person's career becoming a sacrificial lamb.

tdylan:
Can you post a link, because I'd like to see that. Condsidering the shit EA got into with shareholders, I can't imagine someone admitting "yeah, we knew we were releasing bullshit," and the resulting backlash not burning EA to the ground. Or at the very least, that person's career becoming a sacrificial lamb.

http://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/tb9iw/i_am_a_global_community_manager_for_dice_and/

I'm kind trying to find the part I'm referring to, but there is a lot in this AMA.
Still, I think this is it.

Edit: Okay, this is actually NOT the one I was thinking about, but I do remember it being in the news here once...

So is the next logical step AAA publishers using kickstarter?

tdylan:
Snip

A-HA! Found the right one, it was taken down so only screenshots exist.

http://bf4central.com/2013/11/ea-pushed-battlefield-4-quality-control/

You paid for early access games, folks. Are you surprised?

I never bought into early access, mostly because beta testing used to be a job people got paid for, not a job people pay for.

I mean are you really surprised that if indie developers get paid for incomplete games that they don't have to complete, EA might do so as well? I mean, you can scam people and practically get away with it because hey, buyer beware, right? The customer should always take a long time surfing the internet for info on every single purchase and should also have easy access to reviews, right? Except for review embargos and false flags, whatever, buy our incomplete shit, moron!

And no, I don't care that some good games were early access. There still should be some god damn semblance of quality control. Otherwise, you're just encouraging people to never spend money on anything, which is pretty much the opposite of what the sellers want. Right?

wait wait wait, your all wrong. Dice isnt going to actually change the games. they are just calling them correctly, seeing as on release date their games are about quality of an early acess game they now call it correctly so you dont get confused what our buying!

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here