Everybody's Gone to the Rapture Tells Stories Only a Game Can Tell

Everybody's Gone to the Rapture Tells Stories Only a Game Can Tell

The Chinese Room uses the medium of video games for its ability to tell stories that simply can't be conveyed through other means.

Read Full Article

Can this be it? Can this be one of the first good religious games?

Hopefully it is. It does not look like they are making the mistake of having a message up in your face(other then the rapture happening that is).

Finally, a game from E3 that has actually made me go, "Oh, what's that?" in interest. I shall keep my eyes open for this. It sounds like my kind of game and it's nice to take a break from all the running and gunning sometimes.

epicdwarf:
Can this be it? Can this be one of the first good religious games?

Hopefully it is. It does not look like they are making the mistake of having a message up in your face(other then the rapture happening that is).

You know, despite "Rapture" in the name, I didn't get a religious feeling from this game at all, though now that you mention it, I'm really curious to see exactly what kind of undertones might exist. Though, from the limited demo I saw, it does seem that if you start hearing a message you don't care to listen to, you'll have the power to simply walk away, which I can definitely appreciate.

Sniper Team 4:
Finally, a game from E3 that has actually made me go, "Oh, what's that?" in interest. I shall keep my eyes open for this. It sounds like my kind of game and it's nice to take a break from all the running and gunning sometimes.

I'm in kind of the same boat, actually. I wasn't all that impressed overall, though I did see at least a handful of titles which I'm fairly excited about now. Rapture, however, was possibly the most impressive looking game that was wholly novel.

I loved Reaper of Souls on PS4. I loved Duels 2015. Borderlands and Civ were both fantastic. But none of those are anything new. Rapture was gorgeous, atmospheric, intriguing, and seemingly nothing I've really seen before.

Am I really going to be the first to make this joke?
FINE!
*Ahem*

Oh hey look, a prequel to Bioshock! Can't wait to see more Andrew Ryan!

So its another museum simulator by Chinese Room? Colour be cynical (which I am) but that still isn't a game.

Dear Esther 2: Dear Estherer.

It's a game where you walk and look at stuff. As opposed to every other game where you actually get to do stuff with the stuff that you see. At least most of the time. Oh and now there's a shiny thing to chase that does something.

Call of duty puts more effort into it's sequels.

You know what's a story only video games can tell? Katamari. There's a unique story right there. I'd like to see someone pitch a katamari movie.

This game, you could take an HD camera, throw some stuff around a farm, add a cheap golden snitch with trail effect and you my friend have an art house movie.

The development studio well known for games where you walk around doing nothing, continues their trend of making games where you walk around doing nothing.

Now, it's entirely fair to say that the Chinese Room make games where you just walk around... you also get story, told to you exclusively through exposition!

Remember kids, Tell, don't show. That's the golden rule, that is.

Racecarlock:
Dear Esther 2: Dear Estherer.

It's a game where you walk and look at stuff. As opposed to every other game where you actually get to do stuff with the stuff that you see. At least most of the time. Oh and now there's a shiny thing to chase that does something.

Call of duty puts more effort into it's sequels.

You know what's a story only video games can tell? Katamari. There's a unique story right there. I'd like to see someone pitch a katamari movie.

This game, you could take an HD camera, throw some stuff around a farm, add a cheap golden snitch with trail effect and you my friend have an art house movie.

You know whats funny? When this was announced people actually thought it was be like TLOU and how PC gamers lost out because they couldn't give indies big enough sales.

They seriously thought it would be a zombie survival horror game with a ground breaking story thanks to Sony saving it from PC gaming.

I'd love to see their faces when they realize you aren't meant to go in shooting and there will be no groundbreaking storytelling. Exposition isn't groundbreaking, especially in an age of story based indies.

There is a reason the chinese room's games are laughingstocks. You can't just ask the prices they do and give out a walking simulator tied to a book on tape.

And the biggest insult is that Dear Esther was a game without a story. They came out and said all that talking was just random poems and sayings that meant literally nothing. So it was just insane ramblings on tape without a point.

Cynicism. The only thing that makes gamers feel better about themselves.

Well, again a non-game by the Chinese Room, which seem to not understand how to make games and rather want to make audiobooks, where people need to hold W to listen to...

Well, I figured I'd see people make remarks about the game, as if they couldn't refuse to play it and as if these kinds of games don't have their place. It's not like these are being milked out like first person shooters. It's a niche kind of game, so let the people into that niche have it. Judge it as it is rather than what you want it to be.

I think it seems interesting. Sure, I do think these kind of games could use a bit more exploration, but otherwise they always end up a really peaceful experience, and sometimes very intriguing. I thought I'd be bored as hell with Gone Home, but it interested me just enough to keep going, even if all I was doing was solving basic "puzzles" and given a narrative as I observe what was being narrated about.

The last time I saw it there was no coherence to it all, just more of the usual "roam around a nice scenario and pretend its something more" like Dear Esther but at least Dear Esther kind of served to show very good mapping skills in the Source engine.

You ruined the amnesia sequel, the chinese room. I will never forgive you! That was my 9/11.

Bindal:
Well, again a non-game by the Chinese Room, which seem to not understand how to make games and rather want to make audiobooks, where people need to hold W to listen to...

Daverson:
Now, it's entirely fair to say that the Chinese Room make games where you just walk around... you also get story, told to you exclusively through exposition!

Remember kids, Tell, don't show. That's the golden rule, that is.

Basically, they create games you very much could (and have) had in other genres. I've played Dear Esther, and frankly I'm unimpressed. There's nothing wrong with games that aren't about shooting things, but you have put some form of actual gameplay in it's place.

It doesn't help that "It's a game about people," and "emotional relationships with characters." reminds me of Bioware's "it's a different kind of story" (which it certainly wasn't, save for being written like a particularly bad fanfic).

Atrocious Joystick:
You ruined the amnesia sequel, the chinese room. I will never forgive you! That was my 9/11.

I'm so glad I did not get A Machine For Pigs.

TCR's pretty much all about (no longer) interesting sounding concepts. Emphasis on character stories, no fighting, etc.

I can come with up with better games than that (while I consider myself something of an aspiring game designer/writer, I would never call myself professional). I even came up with an example.

Granted, TCR actually knows how to program and animate, and I'm just one person, but TCR's "games" just don't shape up very well. They have decent stories (kind of... Maybe they would if they weren't told through exposition), but when the gameplay is minimal and the stories are told through exposition that's just bad design.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here