Shailene Woodley Not Returning as Mary Jane in Amazing Spider-Man 3

Shailene Woodley Not Returning as Mary Jane in Amazing Spider-Man 3

Actress Shailene Woodley opens up about her scenes being cut as Mary Jane in The Amazing Spider-Man 2.

Back in May, The Amazing Spider-Man 2 director Marc Webb explained why Shailene Woodley's (Divergent) scenes as Mary Jane Watson were cut from the film, citing that it "was very difficult to introduce someone as a competing love interest when so much is on the table with Peter and Gwen." Now, in the July issue of Vanity Fair, Woodley confirms she won't be playing Mary Jane in The Amazing Spider-Man 3, and even speaks out on her initial reaction after hearing her parts were left out.

For a few hours it was literally like, 'Oh, my God, was I awful? Why did they cut me? What are people going to think?' I woke up the next morning and I was like, 'O.K., it makes total sense.' I'm a pretty spiritual person, so I can just sit back and trust that everything happens for a reason, even if my ego doesn't like it.

Presently, the part of Mary Jane has not yet been cast, but we do know that Sony is looking to expand the Spider-Man film universe and is targeting to release one movie a year; with the next two flicks featuring The Sinister Six and Venom. So if this is indeed the case, the part of Mary Jane will be cast very soon since she's an integral part of the Spider-Man universe.

Are you okay with Woodley not returning as Mary Jane? If so, which actress would you prefer to be Mary Jane in the coming Spider-Man movies?

Source: Vanity Fair via IBTimes

It may be a smart move on her part. That early in a career and be associated with a box-office bomb may kill her chances at other stuff.

Heard that the Fault in our stars was good.

As an actress, she's starting to grow on me. I'd like to see her do something other than teenage melodramas, though. Playing Mary Jane would have been more of the same for her.

Good, she's a terrible actress and a terrible choice for Mary Jane.

Glad she walked away. Escape a sinking ship (minus the rat analogy). ASM was boring as all hell (all the well delivered quips in the world couldn't change that...) and ASM2 felt like a rushed cash grab and Bipolar cornucopia of "Let's cram in as many characters as possible to cover the weak story." It baffles me that Sony allowed ASM2 to repeat the exact mistakes of Raimi's Spider-Man 3. They couldn't even stick to one of the most iconic moments in Spider-Man's history where tragedy is concerned because they wanted to try to make it more "artsy". I mean, her head on the concrete? Really?

It's a pipedream, I know, but I'm hoping that the failure of ASM2 will lead Sony to just sell the IP back to Disney Marvel at some point in exchange for...something, along with a hefty price tag. That way Disney Marvel can just do Ultimate Spider-Man, which would tie in perfectly to their animated interpretation (although I'd hope they would stick closer to Bendis's original series and not bastardize and "Brave and The Bold" like they've done with the animated series) and the more Ultimate Universe take of their live action films.

Anyway, wish her all the best. She's a pretty decent young actress and having your first *major* film be a colossal bomb wouldn't help her career.

I don't blame her for walking away. Going through all the effort of casting her, filming her scenes, and then telling her that she won't be in the movie is a bit of a kick to the balls (the she-balls?).

WhiteTigerShiro:
I don't blame her for walking away. Going through all the effort of casting her, filming her scenes, and then telling her that she won't be in the movie is a bit of a kick to the balls (the she-balls?).

Don't they usually sign these actors to multi-film contracts before shooting the first movie in order to "lock them in" to a lower rate so they cant negotiate for more money "too early?" The way Marvel did with Hemsworth, Evans, and co? Is this answer "yes," but this is just another example of a studio trying to copy Marvel's success, without understanding what it was that marvel did to make it a success, and screwing up?

It seems odd that they would cast her in the role of Mary Jane, a central character in the mythos, but not make her sign on for multiple movies. Seems like another example of Sony having no idea what they're doing, and simply casting Mary Jane so that if they decided later that they wanted to use her, the scenes would have already been shot. ASM2 seems like a grab bag of "film this, that, and the next, and we'll frankenstein it together later."

No offence to this actress but I don't want Mary Jane in the next film.

Spoilers for ASM2:

At first, I was going to make a joke about continuity until I remember that her part is now nothing more than a deleted scene in a DVD/Blu-Ray extra, so I'm glad that she turned down the role as Mary Jane... Besides, I think Shailene can get better roles in her future, given how she's handling this whole situation...

Then again, the thought of Mary Jane in ASM3 is slowly starting to rub me the wrong way somehow... (and I have yet to see ASM2, mind you...)

Burchy22:

Spoilers for ASM2:

Honestly, I think Garfield and Stone's on-screen chemistry is going to be of detriment to future films in the franchise. It's one of the few things that really worked in the ASM movies, and replacing Stone with another actress will be a really fucking difficult task if they want even a semblance of the chemistry the previous pairing had. Good choice in the short term, but in the long term I really think they've shot themselves in the foot.

Can we introduce a Miles Moralez and kill off the current Spider-Man?

Please? I'm so sick of this current spider-man, I can't even care about how bad of movies they're making for one of my childhood favorite super heros.

Random Argument Man:
It may be a smart move on her part. That early in a career and be associated with a box-office bomb may kill her chances at other stuff.

"bomb"

You must be joking. It didn't do as well as the other Spidey movies, but 700k is a bomb? Wow.

Burchy22:

Spoilers for ASM2:

The unfortunate thing about movies is no matter how good they are, they will always compress for time. When you have decades of comic history to work with, and stories to progress, you're going to run into the issue that you can't repeat the way the comics did it. To tie it with a less spoilery example, the black costume story was pretty cool in the way it progressed (although, not literary brilliance), but it would be hard to do that in a series of movies. It's even less likely because a "proper" rendition would have Peter ditching his iconic costume for multiple movies. Edit: and that's ignoring the "Secret Wars" origin, which I didn't mention pre-edit because I've already assumed that won't be a part of any movie period and then decided maybe I should mention for context.

MJ was mentioned several times before she ever showed in the comics, and Peter wasn't initially interested. It probably would be a good thing not to just slap her in there.

Then again, I enjoyed Spectacular Spider-Man, which featured both Gwen and MJ through the full series. So maybe comic fidelity's for the birds.

GamerKT:

You must be joking. It didn't do as well as the other Spidey movies, but 700k is a bomb? Wow.

If you follow the Escapist's reporting of it, you'd probably get the impression that it completely failed.

Does MJ have to come in the next movie? Can't we have a movie without love interest thingie, and let Peter grieve for a moment before letting him jump to next panties? I mean, the Sinister Six should have more than enough material (especially characters) to fill a movie.

She has a weirdly child-like face, at least in portrait. The blank stare does not help. In the above picture she looks quite nice, actually. Anyway, she should stay away from the Amazing Spider-Mess, with Divergent she has enough momentum not to take Sony's disrepect.

GamerKT:

Random Argument Man:

"bomb"

Bad movies can still make money. Bad movies can also kill careers despite being "successful".

What's worse though is if the bad movies open the wrong doors to good actors. They end up in shitty roles with bad writing or roles out of their acting chops.

Who should play the role of Mary Jane? Kristen Dunst! :D

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here