International Guardians of the Galaxy Trailer Goes For Drama

International Guardians of the Galaxy Trailer Goes For Drama

Get a first glimpse of Star-Lord's origin in epic new trailer

Marvel Studios spent the last few weeks taking the first substantial hit to its once-invincible "cred" with fandom over the unfolding Ant-Man debacle. And while they're expected to get a big publicity boost out of whatever is in the works for SDCC, the next tangible test of their continued brand-strength is August's release of their risky (and expensive) action/comedy/space-opera Guardians of the Galaxy; the new "international" trailer for which has just hit the web.

While the film's previous two trailers focused on establishing the offbeat sensibilities of its world, combining comedic moments and unusual characters/locations with intentionally out-of-place popular music cues ("Hooked on a Feeling" and "Spirit in The Sky"); this one plays things more-or-less straight - at least, as straight as they can be played when one of your main characters is a gunslinging space raccoon. That's not exactly surprising: This trailer was cut primarily for territories outside the U.S., where certain idioms and pop-culture references might not be as immediately familiar.

It also contains a smattering of footage not seen in previous trailers, including our first look at the origins of Star-Lord, aka Peter Quill, a spacefaring human abducted from Earth as a child in the early 1980s. There's also some new shots of main villain Ronan the Accuser, the Nova Corps, Glenn Close as Nova Prime and "The Knowhere" - a galactic hub constructed in the planet-sized decapitated head of a massive alien Celestial.

Guardians will be the last Marvel Studios production to hit theaters in advance of Avengers: Age of Ultron. Written and directed by Super helmer James Gunn, it follows a ragtag group of alien fugitives who band together to protect a valuable (and dangerous) relic sought by the evil galactic supervillain Thanos.

Source: Marvel UK

HE'S NOT A RACCOON

Written and directed by Super helmer James Gunn, it follows a ragtag group of alien fugitives who band together to protect a valuable (and dangerous) relic sought by the evil galactic supervillain Thanos.

Anyone else find it weird how all the focus has been on Thanos and how the film will tie into Avengers?

I mean, Ronan the Accuser is the actual main antagonist in this and it would be unlikely we'd even have Thanos mentioned outside of another final scene/mid credits cameo.

Ronan could actually be a pretty interesting villain if done right, as he's not typically 'evil' per say (at least not always) Keen to see if the Supreme Intelligence becomes part of the story too.

I'd say going the drama route is a bad idea, this trailer is the bottom of the three. Since people don't know this films its biggest selling point is that they are just making it look so fun and epic.
Not to say it won't have good drama, I'm just saying trying to use it as a selling point instead of the fun-ness isn't advised.

MovieBob:
That's not exactly surprising: This trailer was cut primarily for territories outside the U.S., where certain idioms and pop-culture references might not be as immediately familiar.

Really? I mean, I may have missed several references, but I think the out-of-placeness of Hooked on a Feeling was humorous on its own.

ron1n:

Written and directed by Super helmer James Gunn, it follows a ragtag group of alien fugitives who band together to protect a valuable (and dangerous) relic sought by the evil galactic supervillain Thanos.

Anyone else find it weird how all the focus has been on Thanos and how the film will tie into Avengers?

I mean, Ronan the Accuser is the actual main antagonist in this and it would be unlikely we'd even have Thanos mentioned outside of another final scene/mid credits cameo.

Ronan could actually be a pretty interesting villain if done right, as he's not typically 'evil' per say (at least not always) Keen to see if the Supreme Intelligence becomes part of the story too.

Kind of, until you realise that ultimately they are chess pieces for a greater force trying oppose a Grand Master Chess player. While they are the main course of action, Thanos' influence will be undeniable.

Also, in kind of a meta way, consider the chess puzzle in the first Harry Potter movie as a metaphor for the entire series, especially the end where sacrifices are made to make the winning move.

As a UK-er, I'll admit that while I may have missed some of the references from the first trailers, they were way, way more unique and fun to watch than this one. This one was basically 'generic epic sci-fi trailer number ten jillionty five' with a few comedy moments. The others were much more original, fun and (and this is important for marketing, after all) way more memorable.

I don't know, 'whats a box going to do?' was a pretty good gag, but yea the early trailers were more funny and engaging(UK lad here) and I go most all the references. To be honest i'm just happy to see more to do with this film!

I'm outside-of-the-US-er, and the first trailer was the best. This is the same as every other trailer ever, but hey new footage!

VoidWanderer:

ron1n:

Kind of, until you realise that ultimately they are chess pieces for a greater force trying oppose a Grand Master Chess player. While they are the main course of action, Thanos' influence will be undeniable.

Also, in kind of a meta way, consider the chess puzzle in the first Harry Potter movie as a metaphor for the entire series, especially the end where sacrifices are made to make the winning move.

I think the real concern is just that we hope Ronan is a satisfying bad guy with a full story arc and climax. If they want Guardians to succeed it can't just be a lead-in to Avengers 2 - it needs to have a satisfying conclusion and not just have Ultron take the Infinity Gem and fade to black.

Each Marvel movie does hint at the greater picture/threat, but they still manage to be self contained stories that can be watched over and over again, standing on their own.

tbth given the amount of Thanos that is supposedly in this and how much he's (not) featured in all the chatter around Avengers 2 i wouldn't place much on seeing Thanos play a major on screen role for at least one, possibly even two, more "phases".

at this point a Guardians sequel is probably the most direct possible route...and if that was part of their overarching plan we'd probably have heard something about it by now...plus Guardians itself is a risk in the first place...so its unlikely it's the route of first choice for Thanos grand entry anyway.

basically...imo...they are gonna take their sweet time doing "The Thanos movie"...in the meantime he's basically going to be the equivalent of the emperor in early Star Wars movies (their analogy not mine).

so if you're waiting for Thanos to pop up for fisticuffs...methinks you're going to have a long wait...might be one to take the grandkids to even...they are in no hurry to "kill the big bad" and shoot their cinematic universes load...

People on this topic seem to fail to realize that if you're someone who comes to this site, then you're someone who's more likely to enjoy the first trailer. The point of the trailer is that it's targeting people who aren't us (ie: gamers, or geeks in general).

What's weird is that this trailer is very(very) similar this trailer:

Strange how a single song can completely change the tone of a movie.

Burchy22:
I'd say going the drama route is a bad idea, this trailer is the bottom of the three. Since people don't know this films its biggest selling point is that they are just making it look so fun and epic.
Not to say it won't have good drama, I'm just saying trying to use it as a selling point instead of the fun-ness isn't advised.

I disagree. Probably my favorite trailer so far. It shows a lot more depth to the movie. Even makes it feel a bit more like Firefly with the interaction of the characters

The bomb dialog is great, which raises my hopes a bit more ;)

Don't know how it will eventually play out, but so far Marvel has done humor GREAT (Iron man movies, some Cap moments).

I'm worried about this movie. Not because I think it will be bad or anything like that, but that it won't do well. I keep asking all my friends and coworkers who are huge Avengers/Marvel fans, and only one of them knew what I was talking about when I first mentioned Guardians. I fear that this movie just isn't registering on a lot of fans' radars and that that is going to end up hurting sales.
Still fully intend to see it though.

Seeing this has not changed what I first thought when this was announced and that was "This will be either really awesome or really really bad!" On the plus side it looks like Groot and Rocket will work out better then expected and its nice to see them going fall out in terms of crazy, but still can't see this being just Good.

This is a good trailer. But in a different sense of "good." See, a trailer is supposed to get an audience excited and interested in seeing a movie. It's a sorry, sad state the film industry is in, but as far as "wanting to appeal to a wide audience" goes, this trailer is better than the first two.

Fact is, we don't know if the film will emphasize more comedy, like in the tone of the first two trailers, or more action, like in this one. The first two trailers say that this is supposed to be a different kind of superhero film, one that's supposed to be goofy and silly, despite the obvious action beats there. The second emphasizes the action beats, while at the same time promises there will be comedy mixed in. People will like the second one better, because that's what people identify Iron Man with: action mixed with sucker-punch comedy, and in releasing such a trailer, audiences will watch it thinking they're going to get that same "fresh" feeling they got when they walked out of Iron Man for the first time.

On the other hand, people will look at the first two trailers and find themselves at a greater risk of walking out of the theater thinking "oh god, what a jumbled mess that was," and might elect not to purchase a ticket, making that crowd depend on word-of-mouth and seeing review scores to persuade a fraction of those people back into buying a ticket. And that's not what film studios want.

See also: the comedy-action financial flop, Scott Pilgrim vs The World:

I am very much looking forward to this. I think it will offer a good balance of "fan service" and comic fun for existing fans, while new ones are going to glide alone on 'Avengers was great' and 'Cheesy action movie' enough that everyone is going to have a blast.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here