Here's What Game of Thrones' Map Would Look Like If It Was Based in America

Here's What Game of Thrones' Map Would Look Like If It Was Based in America

Game of Thrones USA Area

A map shows us what the world of Westeros from Game of Thrones would look like if its setting was in the US.

Ever wondered what the mythical world of Westeros from HBO's Game of Thrones would look like if it was based in America? Well, wonder no more, as the people from RoadTrippers have created just that -- a map of the United Kingdoms of Westeros.

Listed below are the areas in Game of Thrones equated to US cities and a brief description of each.

- Winterfell = Detroit
A hardened, steel-wielding city, fallen from grace. Winter is always coming.

Detroit, stronghold of the North, makes no apologies. It's cold, harsh, and is only a pale reflection of what it used to be. Even still, the decay hasn't stopped the steel-wielding city from being a beautiful, proud place.

- King's Landing = Washington D.C.
The seat of great power and corruption.

Capitol of the Kingdoms, Washington, is the Red Keep of America and the seat of ultimate power. King's Landing, much like the White House, is surrounded by a great wall, and is protected by the City Watch of King's Landing, aka the gold cloaks.

- Oldtown = St. Augustine
An ancient town, the oldest in the realm.

Both are the oldest cities in the country, dating back to the first men on the continent.

- Casterly Rock = Seattle
Proud, ancestral stronghold of the Sea.

Casterly Rock overlooks the Sunset Sea, and is a large part of the bustling seaports. The castle was built over catacombs and into rock formations. Seattle is protected by the Olympic Mountains, built overtop of the Seattle underground (catacombs in their own right), and is one of the largest seaports in the country.

- Highgarden = Las Vegas
Epitome of excess, fame and fortune.

A wealthy, attractive city, filled with money, excess, and beautiful women. This one speaks for itself.

- Eyrie = Appalachia
An unusual land that prefers to keep to itself.

A mountain-top stronghold, isolated from most civilization, where the inhabitants are strange and suspicious. You see where I'm going here...

- Harrenhal = Denver
A Mile-High city that reaches above the heads of the other Kingdoms.

No castle in all of Westeros can match the height of Harrenhal. It's a Mile-High city above the Seven Kingdoms.

- The Wall = Canada Border
An impenetrable northern border. Watch out for the White Walkers.

The Wall sits between the Seven Kingdoms, protecting the people of Westeros from the Wildlings beyond it. The Wall is manned by the sworn brotherhood by name of the Night's Watch. Sounds sort of like Border Patrol doesn't it?

- Castle Black = Canadian Border
Fortress of the frozen pass.

Castle Black is one of three remaining manned castles at the Wall, and is inhabited by the Night's Watch.

- Dorne = Southern California
Harsh desert land fillwed with peculiar folk.

Sunny, hot climates all year long. The Dornishmen are different from the rest of the Seven Kingdoms, and much like it, in Southern California, the customs are strange and peculiar.

Pictured below is the actual map for each US city. You can also check out the images that compare the city to its Westeros counterpart.

For more Game of Thrones reading, make sure you catch up on our season finale review of Game of Thrones: The Children -- provided you've seen it already, of course, as it's littered with spoilers.

Do you agree with the picks? If it was up to you, how would you plot out Westeros across America?

Source: RoadTrippers via Gizmodo

Would have much sooner expected the wall at the Mexican border...

Especially considering there's actually a wall/fence there.

Hagi:

Was about to suggest that, what with illegal immigrants from Mexico and the threat of an influx of them being a much bigger villain than stereotypically polite and demonstrably more progressive Canadians.

Dorne is So-Cal? I resent that. Along with most of So-Cal.

:P

Kinda weird they missed Texas entirely, we get to be the cool place where they put text though...

So if you're a Canadian Game of Thrones fan, what does that make you? A Wildling or a White Walker?

I would put Harrenhall in chicago for the Sears tower. Winterfell in Denver or Minneaplis. I was honestly expecting LA to be Casterly rock. Highgarden in the middle of a desert, really?

How is Dorne not in Texas?

So the entire middle of america is just barren? k den

And if it was set in the UK it'd look... well, exactly as it does now really.

How about including more in "America" than just the continental U.S?

Winterfell is the most poorly thought out of all these; The North of Westeros is a much larger and more sparsely populated kingdom than the others... How is that not Cananda?

Then you have Dorne, which would fit best somewhere in South America, but for the geographical distance, why not have it in Mexico?

These guys really aren't helping the perception that people in the U.S think they are the center of the universe and can't see past their fucking borders...

MeChaNiZ3D:

Hagi:

Was about to suggest that, what with illegal immigrants from Mexico and the threat of an influx of them being a much bigger villain than stereotypically polite and demonstrably more progressive Canadians.

I haven't watched Game of Thrones (but will, I swear), but these White Walkers...do they slip by this Wall at the rate of millions a year, have about a thousand or so sent back in return, and about half the country who built the wall Wall want to make the Walkers full citizens despite being law-breakers? Plus our "Wall" isn't even half finished and the fence doesn't deter anyone.

Highgarden, capital of The Reach, the most fertile area of Westeros is....in a desert. What?

So...the take away from this is that...the Canadians are the White Walkers?

Burn the Canadians!

Hagi:

I've long suspected Canadians were evil.

This scientifically determined map proves it.

freakonaleash:
So the entire middle of america is just barren? k den

Nobody ever remembers the flyover states.

Though the closest I get is "I'm a couple hours away from the Ice Wall."

So maybe it's not just the flyover states.

LysanderNemoinis:
I haven't watched Game of Thrones (but will, I swear), but these White Walkers...do they slip by this Wall at the rate of millions a year, have about a thousand or so sent back in return, and about half the country who built the wall Wall want to make the Walkers full citizens despite being law-breakers? Plus our "Wall" isn't even half finished and the fence doesn't deter anyone.

Makes more sense if you compare to the wildlings (also live on the other side of the wall) who do immigrate en-masse to get away from the horrible state of their homeland.

A lot fewer of them succeed though and they're probably a lot less less-welcomed

EDIT: Screwed up quoting, fixed now.

Isn't the North the same size or bigger than all the other kingdoms?

I'm thinking it might have been more appropriate to have Canada as the North, and put the Wall at the border with Alaska.

Hagi:

EDIT: Screwed up quoting, fixed now.

Not before I saw it! How very dare you!!!???

Nah. I clicked on the link to point out it wasn't me, but it seems my work here is done. Or was done before I got here so....

....Ummm....

Anyone ever hear of this "Game of Thrones" thing?

Mr.Tea:
How about including more in "America" than just the continental U.S?

Winterfell is the most poorly thought out of all these; The North of Westeros is a much larger and more sparsely populated kingdom than the others... How is that not Cananda?

Then you have Dorne, which would fit best somewhere in South America, but for the geographical distance, why not have it in Mexico?

These guys really aren't helping the perception that people in the U.S think they are the center of the universe and can't see past their fucking borders...

in English "america" without any other qualifiers almost always means the USA.

In Spanish and Portuguese it means north and south america as in those languages those are both one big continent.

perhaps they could have titled the article better, perhaps "what if game of thrones were based in the USA."

the "point" of this article was to poke fun at certain American cities. why are you resorting anger over a silly joke thread?

Gailim:

In Spanish and Portuguese it means north and south america as in those languages those are both one big continent.

I don't give a crap that the U.S has co-opted the term "America(n)"; I'm saying that Westeros is a continent and their map looks stupid when they put Winterfell at a lower latitude than freaking Casterly Rock.

Then I made a comment that derived from me wanting to ask: "Why did they bend over backwards trying to crowbar locations in obviously wrong places just so it would stay inside continental U.S borders??"

LysanderNemoinis:

MeChaNiZ3D:

Hagi:

Actually the wall works in Game of Thrones and so far no White Walkers have gotten through, so perhaps there really isn't an ideal US equivalent, but there's a case to be made for Wildlings being the Mexicans.

Mr.Tea:

Gailim:

I don't give a crap that the U.S has co-opted the term "America(n)"; I'm saying that Westeros is a continent and their map looks stupid when they put Winterfell at a lower latitude than freaking Casterly Rock.

Then I made a comment that derived from me wanting to ask: "Why did they bend over backwards trying to crowbar locations in obviously wrong places just so it would stay inside continental U.S borders??"

because the entire point of this is for americans to make fun of other americans

no need to get angry

Welp that makes me a Dornishman. Can't decide if that's a good thing or not.

Thought I'd have a crack at making an England version:

-Winterfell = Manchester

-King's Landing = London

-Oldtown = Chester, or York.

- Casterly Rock = Bamburugh Castle, Northumberland.

- Highgarden= ??

- Eyrie = Cornwall

- Harrenhal = Birmingham (?)

- The Wall = Hadrian's Wall

- Castle Black = Carlisle

- Dorne = ??

Wasn't sure about a couple, Dorne is quite difficult because we don't have any dry and arid areas in England, and being a small country London is applicable to lots of different categories. Still, at least we have actual castles and actual walls which make the comparisons quite easy.

If the wall is the US/Canadian border, then that makes Canadians the Free Folk. Quite the tongue in cheek commentary about the state of freedom in the United States.

Nickolai77:
Thought I'd have a crack at making an England version:

-Winterfell = Manchester

-King's Landing = London

-Oldtown = Chester, or York.

- Casterly Rock = Bamburugh Castle, Northumberland.

- Highgarden= ??

- Eyrie = Cornwall

- Harrenhal = Birmingham (?)

- The Wall = Hadrian's Wall

- Castle Black = Carlisle

- Dorne = ??

Wasn't sure about a couple, Dorne is quite difficult because we don't have any dry and arid areas in England, and being a small country London is applicable to lots of different categories. Still, at least we have actual castles and actual walls which make the comparisons quite easy.

I would put Newcastle as Winterfell

Wales as the Vale because it is quite mountainous and hilly

The reach is definitely Kent/the southeast (it's called the garden of England!)

Yorkshire with it's forests and parks as the Riverlands.

maybe cornwall for Dorne

and Bath for Old town

Why is American Casterly rock so close to the wall? Someone didn't think that through.

Also Kansas City is River Run and St. Louis would be the Twins.

IamLEAM1983:
So if you're a Canadian Game of Thrones fan, what does that make you? A Wildling or a White Walker?

That just depends on whether or not you are French.

Jadak:

IamLEAM1983:

That just depends on whether or not you are French.

I'll play along...

I'm French-Canadian by birth. Hit me with your best shot. ;)

There is no way that Winterfell would be Detroit - it would be Chicago. Detroit is literally on the border, Winterfell is NOT. Also, Winterfell was a thriving city before it was burned to the ground which superficially resembles Detroit (1967 riots) Detroit was long in decline before that. So Chicago would be a better fit than Detroit.

If you want Detroit to be in there, have it be one of the 3 castles that the Nights Watch still patrol; possibly Castle Black itself. Castle Black should be an individual city, not the entire border. Particularly not when the border is used for both it and the Wall.

/you have no idea how hard it is to type the word "Chicago" in any sort of a positive way for this fan of the Lions, Tigers and Pistons...

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here