Director: Next Resident Evil Movie Will End the Series

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Director: Next Resident Evil Movie Will End the Series

residentevil

Sixth film in the popular zombie franchise may be the end of the line

The Resident Evil movie series has now been running almost as long (and with almost as convoluted a plot) as the video game series to which it's loosely connected. But it may not be for much longer.

Speaking to Collider, director/producer Paul W.S. Anderson - who started the franchise, has directed 3 of the 5 previous films and is married to series star Milla Jovovich - revealed that the working title for the sixth's film's screenplay is The Final Chapter. Said Anderson: "That's what's on the title page, it's Resident Evil: The Final Chapter, so absolutely."

Begun in 2002, the Resident Evil film franchise follows sometimes-superpowered spy/mercenary Alice (Jovovich) as she and a rotating cast of characters from the games battle The Umbrella Corporation after their unscrupulous experiments unleash a plague of zombies and mutant creatures on the world. No plot details of The Final Chapter are known, but the previous installment ended with Alice and her allies joining a fortified human resistance in Washington DC and the reveal of previously-unseen winged monsters as a new threat.

Source: Collider

If you're a fan of the Resident Evil video game franchise: what are your opinions of these films?

Wait, this series was still going? I thought it died from lack of quality.
Oh, wait, this is Hollywood. Lack of quality doesn't kill anything.

The first one should've been the end of the series. It's just not good (I say this as a movie fan because I've only played one of the resident evil games, number 4 which was great).

Andrew Siribohdi:
If you're a fan of the Resident Evil video game franchise: what are your opinions of these films?

I loved the series until 4. 4 seems to be a fan favourite, but I got bored when they started introducing more virus', making them less like zombies and more intelligent, etc. I loved the shit out of the films. By the time the first one came out, there wasn't much of a way of making Resident Evil much of a horror movie. I'm glad they went in with a bit more action. And unlike a massive amount of people, I don't have much of a problem with them diverting from the original story. They are good movies. Not great, and they may not be written entirely well, but they certainly fill the gap for the horror-action films that seems to not exist. At least, any ones with a remotely decent budget/ability to make great action scenes.

Andrew Siribohdi:

The plots are generally unrelated to that of the game - the closest it gets is that in the second movie, Raccoon City gets nuked and some characters from the game series make cameos (and some you won't even recognize as being the characters). Really, the only reason its called "Resident Evil" is for brand recognition. The writing is awful, but the series is one of those where the terrible writing makes it good. Past the first two anyways. The first one was really serious, the second one was mostly serious, and after that they're shameless campfests. They have great action scenes in them, and if you can turn off your brain and enjoy schlock, the Resident Evil movies are some of the best choices out there to do so with. The films have fared much better with that approach than the games have, thats for sure.

Andrew Siribohdi:

It's a race between the two at who can write the silliest nonsense. I think the movies are winning right now because of the game RE6. But it's a duel between Alice "Psychic Ninja Assassin" Nolastname vs. Chris "Boulder Punch" Redfield.

Andrew Siribohdi:

well to me resident even has never been a pinnacle of writing but it has great moments, as for the games it has been in steady decline since 4, games up to 4 where again no greatest thing i've ever played but they lie close to my heart for being some of the first games that made me think about conserving ammo. when 5 came out the series turned to action as apposed to horror and inventory organizing mini games.

The movies? well they are some of the best schlock out there. if you want something to watch while intoxicated and or high on something this is a great place to look. the writing is so terrible yet everyone takes it so seriously it honestly feels like they live in a bizarre world. its like a B movie with the budget of a AAA title. so many pretty effects but the writing is something that rivals sharknado in infamy.

Andrew Siribohdi:

The movies strike me as a massive Mary Sue fanfic of the Resident Evil universe. The world pretty much revolves around the original character, Alice, and all the named characters from the video games do little else but stand around in awe of how amazing she is. The first movie was decent for an adaptation and the second was passable, but everything after has been more ridiculous than the games have ever gotten. The films all (with the exception of the second) also have the remarkable tendency to invalidate the previous installment within the first ten minutes.

So all in all, pretty terrible.

The writing in the games has never been top notch, and as of late, has been downright silly at times, but I still think they explore an intriguing storyline. The continuing trend of using the black market and bioterrorism to extend the story beyond Umbrella has been plausible yet surprisingly realistic.

Also, I bet five bucks that Mila will deliver the same gaspy, tired monologue that she does at the beginning of every movie.

If only they would do the same with the games. RE6 was the creaky, bloated, throbbing end boss on the pile of crap guarded by miniboss Raccoon City. Capcom has no freaking idea what RE is any more.

Right, and I bet they're totally not going to do a reboot or anything are they? [/sarcasm]

I'd say I was surprised it's even gone on this long but I'm not. I'm not at all.

Good. Maybe then we could get a reboot that stays a bit closer to the games? I still think the first game would make for an fun horror/action flick. Nothing groundbreaking but still really entertaining.

GoodNewsOke:
Good. Maybe then we could get a reboot that stays a bit closer to the games? I still think the first game would make for an fun horror/action flick. Nothing groundbreaking but still really entertaining.

Standalone movie with some kind of "if..." scenario could be fun, as then you could actually kill characters like Chris and Jill, and the whole movie wouldn't be so predictable for those that have played the games.

Edit: Also, we could have this scene from RE1 that would normally no way in Hell become canon in the movies:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=joPe1FGxQK4&t=16s

While I don't really mind the films as much I do find the games as of recent of gone down that annoying slope of fuck zombies and horror let's only focus on action and mutated hive mind people, that's now in place with the movies so really it's hardly about zombies or horror any more.

I think the classic roots of Resident Evil are pretty much dead at this point, it makes me sad but I'll probably see this movie with friends anyway seeing as how there's no way the series will return to what made it great in the first place.

I loved the first movie. Second movie was okay. By the third they started going batshit crazy. Should have ended with the second movie.

Can't wait to see it, then add it to the rest of the series in my Bluray collection! :D

... Until the Reboot a year after it's release.

Andrew Siribohdi:

Garbage.

On this "news": Yes please end this nonsense... thought it probably is just the start of another franchise being turned into "look how hot my wife is" and Mary Sue-display.

i love the films, purely because of cj i think? In the second one where he rams a zombie while shouting "GTA MOTHERFUCKER, TEN POINTS"

I'm all for more zombie films!

First one is actually decent. Second is halfway decent. After that, it started sprinting into "So bad, it's funny" territory and never looked back.

I really actually don't mind that they ended up doing mostly their own thing with the story. What's the point of making them exactly like the games? Isn't that what the games are for? If you played the games, that kinda ruins the movies for you if they're mostly like the game. Of course, this usually equates into the writers taking gross liberties in doing so. (PYRAMID HEAD POKEMON BATTLE GO!)

Andrew Siribohdi:

I think the first movie is awesome. One of the main things I like is the score by Marilyn Manson and how it worked with the movie. There is nothing particularly "wrong" with the rest of the movies, but there is no way to get invested in the character, no drama. And the thing is, the action and setting are cool enough, if they added even just a hint more character drama, these movies would be awesome. Kind of the exact opposite of the Underworld series. They go for too much character drama(which only worked in the third one without the main cast), and the rest of the movie suffers for it.

I will see this, if for no other reason than I have seen all the rest.

Mahorfeus:

Andrew Siribohdi:

The movies strike me as a massive Mary Sue fanfic of the Resident Evil universe. The world pretty much revolves around the original character, Alice, and all the named characters from the video games do little else but stand around in awe of how amazing she is.

That's what happens when the star is married to the Director.

Make sure to stick a stake through it's heart so it can't come back!

it'll end the series...up until Anderson and Jovovich realize all their other films tank because they're a couple of talentless hacks with no recognition on their own.

Andrew Siribohdi:

Red Letter Media (the 70-minute Phantom Menace review guys) sat down and watched RE 1-4 in a marathon, then reviewed RE5 here:

http://redlettermedia.com/half-in-the-bag-the-resident-evil-series/

(Spoiler: lots of guffawing.)

Its about time...the first movie was fine, the second was beyond trash, the rest have been *at best* guilty pleasure. It's really time to close the book on these films

Resident Evil movies are Resident Evil in name-only.

I thought that every single one of the movies was awful, the only thing i liked about them was the Slipknot song My Plague associated with them :D

good. because they suck. as a action movie they do fine but based to the game as a horror movie, not even remotely close.
the only good thing about the movies are milla, because she is hot and kicks ass.

GoodNewsOke:
Good. Maybe then we could get a reboot that stays a bit closer to the games?

There have been 2 Capcom CGI Resident Evil movies released so far (Resident Evil: Degeneration and Resident Evil: Damnation). Both are far superior to the live action series.

Amen. Maybe this time when they reboot it we will have the version with the script from freaking ROMERO that Capcom rejected now that the company is on sale.

Good god, another one?

I stopped watching after I realized the franchise turned into a "girl power" movie that guest starred a few zombies.

Five movies too late....four if I'm feeling generous.

harrisonmcgiggins:
Good god, another one?

I stopped watching after I realized the franchise turned into a "girl power" movie that guest starred a few zombies.

Not even so much "girl power" as they are "my wife is the best" making her perfect and invincible even without powers.

Andrew Siribohdi:

They are basically fanfiction.
Really bad Mary-Sue fanfiction that takes familiar settings and characters and has them sit on the background while the writer's original character Alice is cool.
They also have no internal consistency or logic, so they totally fail even as stand-alone movies.

Its been a while since the last one from what I remember and honestly surprised that the movie series needed one final installment.

I enjoy the Resident Evil movies--well, except for 3. That one seemed to fall squarely into the line of "Let's see how many main characters we can kill off," and I don't like that. But I do enjoy these movies. They're stupid fun, and it's nice to see famous scenes from the video games recreated on film. Wesker sunglasses to the face for the WIN!

All that being said, I'm glad this will be the last one. I feel the series had its fun and it's now time to call it a night (when you start bringing dead characters back just for fun, then time's up...). Plus, with the way the last one ended, that kind of sets up the final match. And the final match better just be one glorious, zombie-slaughtering beat down. Those last few seconds of the last film were freaking amazing and that's the type of zombie movie I want to see.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here