First Look at TMNT's Shredder Reveals a Blade-Heavy Costume

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

First Look at TMNT's Shredder Reveals a Blade-Heavy Costume

TMNT Shredder

Shredder makes an appropriately dramatic entrance for his first official portrait.

Paramount Pictures has released the first (official) still of The Shredder from August's hotly-anticipated Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles live-action reboot, showcasing a significantly larger and more prominently blade-covered armor than the character had previously been depicted in.

The image falls well in line with previous glimpses of the character in concept-art and action figure form, though lacking (at least in this shot) the razor-fringed cape seen elsewhere. He also boasts a set of sword-length blades extending out from above his hands, Wolverine-style (it should be noted that some earlier versions of the film's script feature a nominally human-looking "Colonel Schrader" with retractable blades hidden under his skin). The new armor also conceals its wearer's face entirely, but the man underneath is presumably actor William Fichtner as Shredder's new alter-ego, corrupt businessman Eric Sachs.

Directed by Jonathan Liebesman and produced by Michael Bay, the new film (which is said, despite the tone of its trailers, to be aiming for a younger audience than even the previous features) also features Megan Fox as April O'Neil and Tony Shalhoub as Master Splinter. It's currently slated for a late-August release date.

Source: TMNT Fansite

Well, that does look like something that you'd call 'Shredder'.

I kinda like it, but after the turtle-designs, it might just be that I'm relieved it doesn't look totally silly.

Those blades at the end of his hands appear...comically big.

The villain looks cool, which raises my hopes, but then I remember Micheal Bay is directing it...

Man, Edward Scissorhands has really let himself go...

Edit: Also, of course Shredder is a white guy now. Of course.

I didn't like the turtle designs and I don't really care for the TMNT anyway, (saw some of the cartoon when I was a kid, didn't even care for it then) but damn that's an awesome villain design. Is that an actual costume or some really good CGI?

You can say a lot about Michael Bay, but he does do great special effects.

GamerMage:
The villain looks cool, which raises my hopes, but then I remember Micheal Bay is directing it...

Producing actually but still we know what you mean. I'm torn between checking this out out of sheer curiosity and spiting anything that has to do with Bay.

otakon17:
I'm torn between checking this out out of sheer curiosity and spiting anything that has to do with Bay.

I think it's safe to say that it'll make enough money to buy up a small country anyway, so I doubt watching it just for the "trainwreck" appeal would matter much.

Well it is intimidating, if a little goofy, still i'm not holding out for a good film.

How the hell is he supposed to move quickly and quietly like a true Ninja should? I always preferred the 1990s movie Shredder as he seemed cold, ruthless, and above all EFFICIENT. He wouldn't bother with a ridiculous set of armor like that because he'd have the skills to make such a thing worthless to him and thus marking his place as the prime threat.

How does he even put that on in the morning? I mean, seriously. Drop a gauntlet, lose a toe. And it's gotta weigh quite a bit.

That's awesome. So many blades. So very many blades.

So after making all those snow sculptures it would seem Edward Scissorhands turned to a life of crime and super-villainy.

If you look carefully they look like massive gauntlets that connect up to his shoulders. So im guess he is wearing some kind of rig, in another picture he had a giant claw type weapon an their was a rig on his back. Power armour?

What if Shredder is a man wearing a suit of power armour?

Khrowley:
How the hell is he supposed to move quickly and quietly like a true Ninja should? I always preferred the 1990s movie Shredder as he seemed cold, ruthless, and above all EFFICIENT. He wouldn't bother with a ridiculous set of armor like that because he'd have the skills to make such a thing worthless to him and thus marking his place as the prime threat.

Uh, I think you're misremembering him. He wore bright maroon pyjamas, some useless spiked pauldrons, spiked shin-guards and a silly helmet. His "ninja" like style was facing all of the turtles head-on, at once, and then he died after blindly charging at master splinter and being tripped into falling off of a building.

He looked like an action figure and fought like a raging bull, don't give him more credit than he's due.

Anyway, this rendition just reminds me of super shredder, so I'm not disappointed.

Finally, truth in villanry.

Quickman:
Those blades at the end of his hands appear...comically big.

Which actually sort of fits the aesthetic.

Honestly not sure if this is completely over the top, or actually pretty good. Shredder was always too big and heavily armoured to be a ninja anyway, so I always just viewed him as a samurai. So the fact that he can't ninja in this doesn't bother me too much anyway.

Khrowley:

I bet it's some kind of exoskeleton. Either that or they don't explain it and we're still left wondering.

I have mixed feelings about this design. It seems a bit too over the top, honestly. Most versions of Shredder have two claws on one or both hands, blades on his shoulder armor, and perhaps on his shins or knees. While generally worthy of being called "Shredder", it also seems efficient, like it could actually work in combat.

This? Not so much. I can't see it actually working out for a guy to wear this. But, I do kinda like that it does seem true to the name.

Oh, yeah, and Shredder is a ninja master. While he rarely uses stealth (he can pretty much overpower anyone who gets in his way), he is certainly one of the most skilled fighters in any TMNT series. This design doesn't seem to allow for the speed that a ninja master would have.

I have difficulty seeing him as a business man, too.

I think this is scary, but not in the way the movie intended...

UberPubert:

Khrowley:

Uh, I think you're misremembering him. He wore bright maroon pyjamas, some useless spiked pauldrons, spiked shin-guards and a silly helmet. His "ninja" like style was facing all of the turtles head-on, at once, and then he died after blindly charging at master splinter and being tripped into falling off of a building.

He looked like an action figure and fought like a raging bull, don't give him more credit than he's due.

Anyway, this rendition just reminds me of super shredder, so I'm not disappointed.

Nah, the turtles came at him one at a time. He only became enraged when he saw Splinter show up, other than that he was in complete control of the fight. Plus, the Turtles had to fight through an army of mooks just to GET to him. Sure, they beat them but that's a tactic of wearing your opponent down. Also, his outfit was glittery for ...some reason... guess they were trying to invoke a kind of "armored clothe" look but whatever.

the people who talk as if they are actually planning to go and see this....is there some kind of support group or something ? \(_o)/

...i worry about you guys...

Khrowley:

How the hell are humanoid turtles supposed to exist at all right? And learn ninjutsu, no less, why not just learn to use some guns and be done with it?

Why does the original shedder even use that stupid helmet in the first place, it's not even pratical for the size of his head, and looks like it would get in the way more than protect at all.

And even if he was so skilled to use that little armor with that crappy helmet anyway, why does this image even exists?

Tennage Mutant Ninja Turtles, that's why.

Paramount Pictures has released the first (official) still of The Shredder from August's hotly-anticipated Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles live-action reboot

Hotly anticipated by who? I hope that was sarcasm.

Lieju:
I kinda like it, but after the turtle-designs, it might just be that I'm relieved it doesn't look totally silly.

There is no universe in which that design doesn't look silly. It makes Warhammer 40k Space Marine power armour look lithe and understated. Of all of the new designs, this one might actually be the worst, which is really saying something after the reveals of how terrible the turtles look.

Is anyone taking bets on which one of the turtles makes a joke about Shredder over-compensating?

Vivi22:

Lieju:

There is no universe in which that design doesn't look silly. It makes Warhammer 40k Space Marine power armour look lithe and understated. Of all of the new designs, this one might actually be the worst, which is really saying something after the reveals of how terrible the turtles look.

Well more specifically, it looks a lot like a suit of Terminator armour with lightning claws:

Although in all honesty... I still kind of like it.

Its....actually kind of cool.

Definitely see how "Shredder" would fit to it.

So am I the only one looking at that and thinking it's another of Michael Bay's Transformers? Looks like one of his transformers.

Looks like he wants a hug. Do you want to hug him?

Much like the design of Bayformers. The design is overly busy and very ugly.

CkretAznMan:
Looks like he wants a hug. Do you want to hug him?

Yes! That's almost exactly what I was thinking when I saw that suit in that pose, give or take his confused (and perhaps imaginary) daughter coming home from school for the last time.

Reminds me a lot of the post-ooze Monster Shredder from the end of a movie I'm not bothered enough to look up the date for. Put him in a centrifuge and he becomes the Blender! For mixing ooze and turtle soup!

I've always said Micheal bay makes 400milliond dollar movies that somehow look cheap as fuck. Maybe it's the 'kocked up on a laptop in after effects' look his overly orange and teal visuals give, or maybe it's the b-movie level designs ans staging of some things but you can always kind of see the 'movieness' of what he does in a way that is indicative of cheaper, usually poorly made films. He's always felt like a SyFy director on money steroids. He movies feel almost ramshackle in places.

Again this has that kind of 'Micheal Bay' drawn by a 14 year old boy look. It's by no means as god awful as the turtle designs but i think I'm starting to realize why i find every single frame of some of his movies borderline offensive.

How in the bloody hell do you put on this armor without slicing yourself to ribbons? Jesus, its like something straight out of Rob Liefeld's fever-induced dreams. This looks so impractical on multiple levels. I don't care if it is power armor, you cannot walk in that thing without killing yourself. You try scratching your nose and you'll end up piercing your brain. The 90s movie version of Shredder may had sparkly clothing but at least you could move around in it.

God, this movie is starting to reek of the bad 90s comics aesthetics. If this movie turns out to be good, I will be deeply surprised.

Vivi22:

Paramount Pictures has released the first (official) still of The Shredder from August's hotly-anticipated Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles live-action reboot

Hotly anticipated by who?

It's anticipated in the same way you anticipate an oncoming train

This Shredder looks like the Silver Samurai crossed with the housewares section of frys.

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here