Titanfall Free on PC For 48 Hours

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Titanfall Free on PC For 48 Hours

Titanfall Explode

Origin's new "Game Time" initiative means that you can get a full 48 hours of time with Titanfall for free.

Origin has just unveiled its new "Game Time" initiative, where gamers can play a game for a set period of time for free, and its kicked it off with arguably the biggest game in its library: Titanfall. The concept may seem familiar to anyone who's experienced Steam's "free weekends," but unlike Steam, in which a game is made "free" for a specific period of time, with Game Time, your "free time" only starts ticking the first time you boot up the game. That means if you first boot up the game on Sunday evening, you'll be able to play until Tuesday night.

To get started, just head over to Origin's free games page and add the title to your account. Furthermore, if you decide to purchase the game after your Game Time runs out, you'll get to keep all of your unlocks and progress.

"Titanfall is only the beginning for Game Time and there's more on the way," teased EA. "Each Game Time will be unique: different game, different time on the Game Time clock. We'll keep you posted on Twitter and Facebook when your next Origin Game Time game begins."

Titanfall, while ultimately failing to live up to the hype (how could it?) is still a fun, deathmatch-style shooter. If you were on the fence about picking it up, what a better way to make up your mind than playing it for two days for free?

They say that imitation is the best form of flattery, and while Origin has been known to imitate Steam in the past, this is actually an example of it taking a Steam policy and actually making it better. Between initiatives like this and the on the house program, could Origin finally be setting itself up to be a worthy rival to Steam?

Source: Origin

Not bad, copying, but at least improving it as well.

I can wholeheartedly recommmend the game, at least while it's free. It's one of those games where you don't have to win to have fun. Just wish the downtime between matches was a lot less, especially those that are over in less than 10 minutes...

Its a nice gesture to give a free trail of the game, its not for me but its good they are doing it , now people who where on the fence can try it out before they commit.

Good move

nice it looks like origin is really trying to make up for the bad press its had in the past with this and the ability to return games it has a couple of points where it is better than steam

Steven Bogos:
could Origin finally be setting itself up to be a worthy rival to Steam?

No. As long as Origin only sells EA games, it will never be a rival to anything. Some shops can get away with only selling their own brand when it comes to things like fashion, but that doesn't apply to games where people don't care who made a game but simply whether they think it will be fun. It doesn't matter how attractive Origin may become, if I can't get the game I want there I obviously can't shop there.

>Requires origin

Nope.

Title got me to think at that they were offering people 48 hours to download and keep it forever.

That would been much nicer... :P

Not a vast improvement, but an improvement none-the-less.

When I first read it, I thought it just said, "48 hour free trial", not "48 hour free trial starting (date) at the latest". While nice, being able to try it in a week's time etc, would've been nice.

Wouldn't it take 48 hours just to download Titanfall?

Kahani:
No. As long as Origin only sells EA games, it will never be a rival to anything.

I was going to tell you that Origin sells a number of non-EA titles, then I looked and realised that the number in question is 41. Origin has 41 non-EA games available on it right now.

It's kind of impressive how much EA runs on exact words policy, Origin does indeed have titles available from a wide range of publishers, just like they claim, they forget to mention that it's precisely one game from each publisher.

As for Titanfall, free for a couple of days is nice, but it won't change the fact that there's very little to the game and most players get bored of it rather quickly.

ToastiestZombie:

For a lot of people, yes. I have no plans to download 50Gb just so I could play for a few hours. And I have a good 50mbps fiber optic connection with no bandwidth limit. What I don't have is enough time to play the game to actually justify that kind of huge download.

You know what would be a great idea? If instead of this they gave people 10 hours of free play time. And you could use those 10 hours any time you like in the next 30 days for example. That would be a great innovation. But this is EA. They only know how to copy trends. They could never actually set one.

Adam Jensen:

ToastiestZombie:

For a lot of people, yes. I have no plans to download 50Gb just so I could play for a few hours. And I have a good 50mbps fiber optic connection with no bandwidth limit. What I don't have is enough time to play the game to actually justify that kind of huge download.

You know what would be a great idea? If instead of this they gave people 10 hours of free play time. And you could use those 10 hours any time you like in the next 30 days for example. That would be a great innovation. But this is EA. They only know how to copy trends. They could never actually set one.

Ehm, did you two actually bother reading the article?
"with Game Time, your "free time" only starts ticking the first time you boot up the game. That means if you first boot up the game on Sunday evening, you'll be able to play until Tuesday night."

Vrach:

Adam Jensen:

ToastiestZombie:

Ehm, did you two actually bother reading the article?
"with Game Time, your "free time" only starts ticking the first time you boot up the game. That means if you first boot up the game on Sunday evening, you'll be able to play until Tuesday night."

Irrelevant. The time doesn't pause. Which would be a great innovation even if it means that you get less time. It would at least be your own time when you're comfortable.

Origin? Not even for free.

I was hoping that this just meant there was a window that the game is free. Not just a trial.
Oh well. I might give it an attempt but right now the pricetag is a bit too much. Especially since I got bored just -watching- a few Let's Plays.

Got to wonder about the size of their player-base if they're giving out free trials this soon.

Usually, on Steam, the free weekend multiplayer games are the ones that have been out for a while and have a declining player-base (sa Payday 2, Guns of Icarus, etc).

Of course, it could also mean that EA has new DLC in the pipe and want to get more people for that (sa Payday 2/Big Bank).

I've come around to Origin. I still don't trust it, but I've given it as much free reign as it needs and only what it needs. The only issues I've had is that it hates my multiple monitor software and refuses to download games while it's running, but otherwise, no issues.

But I still won't play Titanfall. No single player campaign, no sale. Hell, I hate the Call of Battlefield games, but I played the BF3 campaign because it was free. It was shit, but it was better than no single player at all. Not by much, granted.

*shrug*

Nice deal though for those that do give a shit, though.

Adam Jensen:

I'd laugh at having to point out that most games don't even have 10 hours of content if it wasn't so sad... =(

never really believed the hype anyway but i still enjoy the game a lot. good that its for free now. EA is really improving if they keep it up like that.

Arnoxthe1:
Title got me to think at that they were offering people 48 hours to download and keep it forever.

what is it with The Escapist and having misleading thread titles recently?

Pretty sure that was against the rules.

So, yea, here I thought Titanfall was download within the next 48 hours and keep it forever-free, but nope, just another misleading title.

Adam Jensen:
Irrelevant. The time doesn't pause. Which would be a great innovation even if it means that you get less time. It would at least be your own time when you're comfortable.

Ah, you mean you want 10 hours of actual game time. True, that could be cool, but this is a good step from Steam's free weekends, especially for those with shitty internet connections (I'd normally download something like that overnight, thus losing a whole day of playing - so this system gets me about twice the possible game time - and that's assuming I find out about it right away). Just download the game, then fire it up when you know you're gonna have some free time to sit down and play it. For the purposes of a trial (and that's really all these things are and should be about), that's good enough imo :)

Now if you'd excuse me, I need a shower after speaking in defense of Origin/EA :P

MinionJoe:
Got to wonder about the size of their player-base if they're giving out free trials this soon.

Considering the amount of time I have to wait just to get into a 4V4 multiplayer match you could be on the money. Even when it does eventually find enough players it turns out that the matchmaking has expanded the search for missions ive already played. It took me about 10 attempts just to actually play the last mission...

meh, ok i guess

*goes back to buying a shitton of games on the steam summer sale*

since titanfall takes up 50 gb of disck space i dont even think a normal free weekend would work at all, unless you have an insanely fast connection

Kalezian:

Arnoxthe1:

what is it with The Escapist and having misleading thread titles recently?

Pretty sure that was against the rules.

So, yea, here I thought Titanfall was download within the next 48 hours and keep it forever-free, but nope, just another misleading title.

I wouldn't say it was misleading, just open to interpretation. Steam uses "free for 48 hours" quite often for 2 day trials, so I assumed this is what it was.

NuclearKangaroo:
meh, ok i guess

since titanfall takes up 50 gb of disck space i dont even think a normal free weekend would work at all, unless you have an insanely fast connection

it took me a whole day. origin downloads pretty fast. faster than steam.

Metalrocks:

NuclearKangaroo:
meh, ok i guess

it depends on your conenction, i dont think BF3 downloaded any faster than my steam games

Thanks to AT&T I have a 150Gb limit per month and ungodly slow download speeds so this is a no go for me.

Have to give em credit where it is due, well played EA, well played.

MinionJoe:

Usually, on Steam, the free weekend multiplayer games are the ones that have been out for a while and have a declining player-base (sa Payday 2, Guns of Icarus, etc).

Of course, it could also mean that EA has new DLC in the pipe and want to get more people for that (sa Payday 2/Big Bank).

It's real bad, the game is extremely repetitive with no sense of progression. I myself only played it for a week and haven't log back in yet.

NuclearKangaroo:

Metalrocks:

NuclearKangaroo:
meh, ok i guess

it depends on your conenction, i dont think BF3 downloaded any faster than my steam games

I downloaded Dragon Age: Origins Ultimate Edition and Skyrim respectively on Origin and Steam, got 9.2MB/s on Origin and only 3.2MB/s on Steam. Same connection, I even paused one and the other to see the difference. I think EA just has a better overall connection, at least for me.

Imperioratorex Caprae:

NuclearKangaroo:

Metalrocks:

I downloaded Dragon Age: Origins Ultimate Edition and Skyrim respectively on Origin and Steam, got 9.2MB/s on Origin and only 3.2MB/s on Steam. Same connection, I even paused one and the other to see the difference. I think EA just has a better overall connection, at least for me.

well i dont think ive experienced much difference

altough if you consider your download speed is too slow on steam, you can try chaging from which server you download your games on your steam settings

NuclearKangaroo:
**Snip**

I don't consider it slow, just slower than Origin, and I've messed with the settings before. I'd say its mostly a case-by-case thing and not something everyone gets.

So it's a steam free weekend.

Since I have no interest in Titanfall unless they make it free to keep playing forever or add an offline single-player campaign then this will not make me start playing. I got my fix back in the demo anyway

NuclearKangaroo:

Imperioratorex Caprae:

NuclearKangaroo:

well i dont think ive experienced much difference

altough if you consider your download speed is too slow on steam, you can try chaging from which server you download your games on your steam settings

the same here. with steam i get around 800kbs wile origin downloads at around 1-2mbs. same connection. and i already tried different settings on steam.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here