New Sunset Overdrive Video Takes a Swipe At Assassin's Creed Over Female Characters

Pages 1 2 NEXT

New Sunset Overdrive Video Takes a Swipe At Assassin's Creed Over Female Characters

The latest promotional video for Insomniac's Sunset Overdrive includes a subtle dig at Assassin's Creed: Unity over the controversy regarding its lack of female characters in the story mode.

While Ubisoft spilled a lot of details regarding Assassin's Creed: Unity at last week's E3 presentation, pretty much all of it was drowned out by the reveal that the game would not feature playable female characters. The entire gaming communtiy weighed in on Ubisoft's comments that designing additional female characters was too difficult (including some of our own writers), and the fallout hasn't stopped yet.

In its latest YouTube video for its upcoming action game Sunset Overdrive, developer Insomniac Games has taken a subtle shot at Ubisoft's recent woes. The video starts by discussing some of the traps you can use in the game but then, at around the 1:40 mark, the host takes a moment to address reader questions.

When a letter asks if players can be female characters, the host quickly answers yes, followed by a pan around of a gun-toting lady dressed in an outfit surprisingly similar to the white and red, hooded cloaks long used by the Assassin's Creed protagonists. Given the timing of the video its hard to chalk this up to mere coincidence. "Self-expression is super important to us," the host said, before announcing that all the clothing in the game will be gender-neutral. "If you want to be a dude in a skirt, you can be a dude in a skirt." The video ends by encouraging the player to "take a stab at" character customization when the game releases.

While Assassin's Creed: Unity has certainly brought the topic of diversity in games further into the limelight, gender-neutral options haven't really been touched upon that much. Is this something you guys want to see more of in games? Let us know in the comments.

Source: YouTube

I'm going to quote Han Solo. I know Sunset Overdrive is going for a certain vibe and some will grill me for my response, but I'm going to quote Han Solo.

"Don't get cocky".

I'm all for gender, race and orientation diversity in games. I'm a bit annoyed when someone says " LOOK GUYS! YOU KNOW THAT WRONG THING THAT OTHER GUY DID?!? I'M NOT DOING IT AND I'M TAKING A BETTER STEP".

You don't need to point things in people's faces. Let your actions speak for yourself instead of bragging of your actions.

EDIT: Ok ok, I know what you're going to type. (especially since I've already got the message) Take a break. Move on. Some guys or gals just need to vent out a bit.

I do love it when companies take pot shots at each other.

Also, this is the first I'd seen of the game and was about to say that they'd earned another sale... *google*... xbone exclusive... argh! Damn you Insomniac!

Cute shirt. "Catchme, catchme, catchme-ow!"

OT: It's nice to see competition in the advertising as well as the marketplace. I'm glad Insomniac's game is still going strong post-presentation; I was slightly worried the momentum would peter off after a week.

That was brilliant. I love seeing Ubisoft as the laughing stock of real game developers. Too bad Sunset Overdrive is an Xbone exclusive.

Well played, Insomniac, but will it be worth the cost in resources!? :O

Seriously though, it's nice to see that it's included. The gender-neutral clothing is a particularly nice touch. I mean, I'll probably end up with "default guy" for the most part if I get it (a high possibility at this point, loved everything I've seen so far), but it's nice to have options for those who want them.

Gah, I've liked everything I've seen about this game, and its an Xbone exclusive -_-

Nice to see gender-neutral clothing though. I always personally appreciate it when developers do that because I usually doing more dressy "guy" clothing.

Sony you stupid, stupid, fucks. Why'd you let this game slip through your fingers?!

It's as if as soon as the Last of Us came out they've been drinking nothing but petrol.

Damn! How long till this is no longer exclusive do ya think?

Ugh.. I hate, hate, hate playing with Xbox controllers. That's why I've never got into the console. I don't even think anyone in my circle of friends has the xbone... So I can't even borrow theirs.

I REALLY hope this game is a TIMED exclusive, because I DETEST playing with the 360 controller.
-It's better than the first Xbox controller, but that's not saying much.

Still, love the jabs.

I think because of this I might just buy Sunset Overdrive regardless of the fact that I do not now, nor do I plan to, own an Xbone, having the guts to not just allow any kind of gender and character customization, but also take a jab at Ubi in the same breath deserves reward.

As much as I love Insomniac taking a shot at Ubisoft, the thing that stuck out to me were the gnomes. Are those the Lawn Ninjas from Ratchet 3? 0-0

Pickaxe wielding axe that use inappropriate language... as a trap effect

Hahahaahahahaaha

That is hilarious. There were some devs who had fun with that.

Well, good on them for trying to me more open-minded. Too bad more companies can't be like that *cough*Ubisoft*cough*...

Oh and the game looks like a blast, especially with the ways you ca take out enemies.

Random Argument Man:

I'm going to quote Han Solo. I know Sunset Overdrive is going for a certain vibe and some will grill me for my response, but I'm going to quote Han Solo.

"Don't get cocky".

I'm all for gender, race and orientation diversity in games. I'm a bit annoyed when someone says " LOOK GUYS! YOU KNOW THAT WRONG THING THAT OTHER GUY DID?!? I'M NOT DOING IT AND I'M TAKING A BETTER STEP".

You don't need to point things in people's faces. Let your actions speak for yourself instead of bragging of your actions.

If you'd actually watched the video you'd realise it was a fairly toned down dig at ubisoft, they didn't make a hude deal out of it.

OT: Yeah the more I see of this game the more I wish they'd release it on PC.

Revolutionary:

Random Argument Man:

"Don't get cocky".

If you'd actually watched the video you'd realise it was a fairly toned down dig at ubisoft, they didn't make a hude deal out of it.

OT: Yeah the more I see of this game the more I wish they'd release it on PC.

I did watch the video before. Did my post look like a "judgish"... yeah a bit. I still think it's a cocky move.

Lawn Gnomes with normal-sized pickaxes... I'd love to play this game, but console... so no.

I can be a cross-dresser? Sold! If I ever get an Xbone at least.

Oh, and all the other stuff is great as well of course...

I'm really glad that they offer gender-neutral options. Trans people and crossdressers get shit on by pop culture all the time, and I like seeing them getting some representation that isn't negative. More of this please publishers!

the video is a bit cringe worthly, the game looks as great as ever

It's not a Skirt, It's a kilt. Goddammit!

Subtle or no the dig at Ubisoft is welcomed.

The shots were fired, and they never tasted so delicious...

So when is this not an Xbone exclusive?! It deserves to not be with a jab like that.

Digs at ubisoft aside, Gender neutral clothing and customizable options mean more customization for all, an awesome thing.

I think that was one console-exclusive (apart from the usual Ninty titles) I regretted not seeing headed for the PC.

Random Argument Man:
Snip

I'll take cocky over stupid any day of the week. Especially when they have a right to be cocky.

OT: Heh, pretty good dig. Also...damn that game looks like a barrel of fun. Shame it's a Xbox exclusive, but on the bright side the dev retains control of their IP from their exclusive deal, so there's that. Then again Dead Rising was supposed to be a Xbox exclusive, yet it's sitting proud and tall in the Steam Summer sale, so we'll see.

Also man skirts? I approve.

Oh man... Does like no one own an Xbox One. XD

Most in here are like..."This looks awesome! But boo Microsoft!"

That's kinda sad...For the XBox I mean.

mecegirl:

They did WAY too much damage to themselves with that inital fiasco. I'm just taking their advice "If you don't like the Xbox One's DRM then we have the perfect system for you, it's called the Xbox 360" If he wants me to keep my 360 and not buy a one, he shouldn't complain when I listen.

TL;DR, the dumbasses shot themselves in the foot and I'm not ready to trust them again.

Random Argument Man:

Oh calm down, it was just a playful jab.

Good news: Crossdressing
Bad news: Xbox Exclusive

...Too bad I lack any friends with a Xbox One, otherwise I would have begged them to buy this game[1] just to allow me to play it...

[1] or maybe even buy the game for them...

I'm seriously loving everything I see from this game. Tax return comes around soon, and it might sway my decision as to which console to get first.

I'll wait until the game is out and I get a chance to play it first.

Yeah, this is definitely another game that I really want that is on the Xbox One. Along with Killer Instinct, Fable Legends, and Ori and the Blind Forest, Sunset Overdrive is the 4th... looks like I'll be getting myself an Xbox One. Well, when I have the money to... which probably won't be until next year. Regardless, I hope the game does well and all and I hope to be able to enjoy it and a newly purchased Xbox One next year.

Tanis:
I REALLY hope this game is a TIMED exclusive, because I DETEST playing with the 360 controller.
-It's better than the first Xbox controller, but that's not saying much.

Still, love the jabs.

Well it'll be played with the Xbox One controller, though I'm not sure you have an opinion on that.

OT: When I could keep my eyes of that shirt, it did make me chuckle to see such a wonderful jab. If I'll be honest, though, I've never saw the appeal of the hooded attire of AssCreed characters. Just looks a little too heavy to wear.

erttheking:

mecegirl:

They did WAY too much damage to themselves with that inital fiasco. I'm just taking their advice "If you don't like the Xbox One's DRM then we have the perfect system for you, it's called the Xbox 360" If he wants me to keep my 360 and not buy a one, he shouldn't complain when I listen.

TL;DR, the dumbasses shot themselves in the foot and I'm not ready to trust them again.

It's worth noting that they booted Mattrick's ass to the curb, and the new guy they put in seems to be a pretty reasonable dude. I've always found it strange that people say "Sony learned their lesson" but with Microsoft "The intent is still there" or something to that effect.

OT: Definitely funny. I was going to get Sunset Overdrive anyway, but this just makes me want it more. HA.

ImmortalDrifter:

erttheking:

mecegirl:

It's worth noting that they booted Mattrick's ass to the curb, and the new guy they put in seems to be a pretty reasonable dude. I've always found it strange that people say "Sony learned their lesson" but with Microsoft "The intent is still there" or something to that effect.

OT: Definitely funny. I was going to get Sunset Overdrive anyway, but this just makes me want it more. HA.

See I always find this to be problematic and funny at the same time, last generation Sony told us near the start o get a second bloody job in order to buy that expensive PS3, loads of us were simply gobsmacked and I know I still haven't forgotten it yet fans chose to forget it yet will always cling to anti MS sentiments.

MS is starting to turn things around ever since Mattrick and others left, they've started to drop the Kinect(fuck those that ever wanted it though from what I gather from some gamers)and are going to be lowering the price along with gather a few more exclusives of their own and even with that some people are still not seeing that as good enough enough and are still remaining bitter, sure you could say me still remembering what Sony said last gen is bitter but I remember it because I want to to be able to measure up how they've improved and they did, others however remember it to hold disdain and build it up on purpose to think they have a valid reason to even when they aren't going to buy the product nor become the target of it.

I know MS have done some bad stuff before but I'm seeing a turnaround for definite, those that deny it are most likely either having chosen a permanent side instead of being open or remain bitter or hell just ignored any news and moved on, this jab is something good because it shows Insomniac isn't going to step back like Ubisoft has and point out to Ubisoft like we've been saying we want female characters (well the ones that do) and they're only showing that's it's right and proper do do what you can to please gamers that want to play the other gender.

I won't be getting an XB1 until at least next year though since I'm having to throw a chunk more money into crafting a new rig and grabbing a Wii U before years end but next year I'll definitely be grabbing one for Sunset Overdrive, Scalebound, Qunatum break, Halo trilogy HD and Halo 5 and I'm not once feeling nor demanding they come to PC like some already have on here due to holding bitter resentment.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here