Ubisoft: DRM is Ineffective Against Piracy

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Ubisoft: DRM is Ineffective Against Piracy

ACIV screenshot

Ubisoft doesn't believe it should punish legitimate customers with DRM.

Somewhat ironically, Ubisoft's VP of digital publishing Chris Early has just come out with a very strong anti-DRM stance, denouncing the practice by stating that it is ineffective at halting piracy, and only serves to punish legitimate customers.

"I don't want us in a position where we're punishing a paying player for what a pirate can get around," he told Game Spot, adding "Anything is going to be able to be pirated given enough time and enough effort to get in there." Instead, Early says that the best way to combat piracy is to simply create quality, easily accessible games, that makes gamers want to buy, rather than pirate, them.

So the question becomes, what do we create as services, or as benefits, and the quality of the game, that will just have people want to pay for it?

Early stated that while Bethesda's recently released Wolfenstein: The New Order was reportedly pirated over 100,000 times, it was a mistake on Bethesda's part to say that these were all lost sales, because some number of people were always going to steal the game.

Early says that key to stopping piracy is to offer online services (such as multiplayer) that are simply unavailable for pirates to access. "I think it's much more important for us to focus on making a great game and delivering good services. The reality is, the more service there is in a game, pirates don't get that," Early said. "So when it's a good game and there's good services around it, you're incentivized to not pirate the game to get the full experience."

Ubisoft has certainly come a long way from those Assassin's Creed II days...

Source: Game Spot

Finally...now can I go back to actually having a slight interest in Ubisoft products that are DRM free? I'd love to take them off my blacklist instead of completely ignoring everything they make.

Holy hallelujah praise Mary mother of god.

They have finally learned! Kinda sorta. Step in the right direction.

I don't pirate, I'm always a legit customer... When I can. You make it easy to buy your product, then I'll buy your product. You need to build a bridge between me and that product so I can purchase it.

So it boggles my mind that so many people have been building walls.

So they are saying that UPlay is going away? Ah who am i kidding, its Ubisoft we're talking about here, of course it isnt.

Does that mean you're finally going to dump Uplay?

Good. Now maybe you can get back to actually optimizing your PC games instead of just dumping half assed ports on us most of the time?

Soviet Heavy:
Good. Now maybe you can get back to actually optimizing your PC games instead of just dumping half assed ports on us most of the time?

Optimizing PC ports? It's been years and they just talked about how DRM is "bad and doesn't prevent piracy" which everybody else knew, their "mostly terri-bad" PC ports are quite recent in Ubisoft time, so I'd say wait for 2020 maybe for them to say "we should really go back to giving a damn about PC actually..."

Ubisoft and EA in one day? Is it the annual "spout some obvious bullshit and not actually fix anything" conference?

Let's be realistic, Uplay and Origin and their ilk aren't going away. And I don't really mind DRM as long as they release games that are actually playable.

Today I finally caved and bought Far Cry 3 on Steam sale. And what did I get? A fucking broken game, still not fixed for the Nvidia GPUs with a buttload of other glitches.

Start small, all I'm saying, by not treating the PC as a second class citizen.

Edit: damn ninjas.

So no more Uplay for games I bought on Steam? unlikely.

Double DRM FTW!!!!

I hear "DRM doesn't work", but that is not said with, "we are getting rid of uPlay".

It's a stunt. UPlay is the broken DRM they use. If that is staying, then they are just paying lip service to a concept they don't understand.

Ah, look, it seems that Ubisoft has fina-OH MY GOD NO, making games dependant on services you provide is NOT the way to go about this! And you were going so well for a few sentences there...

I'll believe it when I see this. Ubisoft's VP speaking against DRM is one thing. Actually ceasing using it or - better yet - retroactively stripping it from older titles is something else. They've got our attention; now let them show that they deserve it.

mechalynx:
Today I finally caved and bought Far Cry 3 on Steam sale. And what did I get? A fucking broken game, still not fixed for the Nvidia GPUs with a buttload of other glitches.

Got to contest that statement. Far Cry 3 ran decently on my 4 year old laptop when i bought it sometime last year, and when i finally got a desktop im running it at maxed settings with framerate loss only happening when i get too spammy with a flamethrower.

And yes, on an Nvidia GPU.

Ed130 The Vanguard:
Does that mean you're finally going to dump Uplay?

Early says that key to stopping piracy is to offer online services (such as multiplayer) that are simply unavailable for pirates to access.

Loose translation: No.

So his statement is to replace DRM with tacked on multiplayer or even multiplayer-only? Well fuck, I almost got excited...

And nice that you catch onto something that people have known since DRM exists Ubisoft. Does that mean that it'll take you only a decade and change to figure out people don't want yearly rehashes?

The first posters really swallowed the obvious lies quite well.
He isn't saying they'll moving away from DRM, merely that they need to step it up to something more effective (like bricking your game).

Great, take uplay off your pc games and Ill but the fuck out of them.

Ok now you just need to make some games that are worth buying...good luck with that.

gigastar:

mechalynx:

Got to contest that statement. Far Cry 3 ran decently on my 4 year old laptop when i bought it sometime last year, and when i finally got a desktop im running it at maxed settings with framerate loss only happening when i get too spammy with a flamethrower.

And yes, on an Nvidia GPU.

I envy you. I had 2 major crashes with computer restarts right in the beginning. The only thing that worked was lowering to DirectX9. The final drop was the map glitch, where the map scrolled sideways indefinitely and no way of turning it off without shutting down the game.

wulf3n:
So no more Uplay for games I bought on Steam? unlikely.

Double DRM FTW!!!!

At least steam offers a payoff which makes up for the price of it being DRM though. Which is a lot more then we can' say for Uplay.

Hey Chris,

Will Wright and Spore would like to welcome you to 2008. Glad you could join the party. We've got some Pizza and Gamer Grub for snacks. I'll put on some Chris Brown for background music, he's a pretty cool dude. I heard YouTube is becoming a big deal. We should go watch some videos on it.

Great, so they finally listened to what people have been saying FOR YEARS NOW, and somehow it finally got through that "d'oh yeah, they might have a point there".......GREAT...now DUMP Uplay like a bad memory, put your freaking games on steam without a BS second layer of annoyance and double accounts and connection trouble, and go back to doing what you're supposed to be good at...making GAMES.........although there is still alllll that new ammo you've given people lately.....hmmm...gee....might want to try going into the shield business.....sounds like you still need a few good ones maybe.......

Bye bye single player, hello forced online multiplayer

This would mean a lot more coming from them if:
A) They hadn't been one of the worst companies about DRM for ages now.
and
B) This didn't feel like hopeless damage control in the wake of the multiple "Ubi plz" incidents lately.

And they only needed 10 years since StarForce to get to that conclusion?

Hey Ubisoft, at one point I bought a Ubisoft game just because it had no DRM whatsoever (they did that experiment with 3 games in 2007). But I will never, ever ever ever ever buy a Ubisoft game that requires that retarded always-online client.

So DRM certainly prevents one thing: getting more people to buy the games!

Of course this doesn't change anything since I'm sure that in Ubisoft's eyes, their stupid client is not DRM but some kind of a great service.

Until they release their post-AC games on gog.com, they're dead to me.

Nicely said, Ubisoft! Now about that UPlay thing...

So stop using it and strip Uplay out of existing games that use it so I can buy the ones I'm interested in without having to install another service I don't want?

VP of digital publishing? Meh, let's see these words come from someone who's actually at the top.

Going back to the earlier days of digital piracy, on the content creator side different people have always had different reactions to it. With music being the first target some musicians would say 'cool thanks for enjoying or stuff!', while others would lose their shit that people listening to their work without paying.

And getting to the point I don't know if the job has changed hand but earlier on Ubisofts CEO was basically the Lars Ulrich of the video game industry. Some lower level VP having a more neutral opinion isn't going to change much if the head honcho still hasn't changed.

ShirowShirow:
Holy hallelujah praise Mary mother of god.

They have finally learned! Kinda sorta. Step in the right direction.

Not the first time they've said some empty anti-DRM rhetoric. They keep putting game-breaking garbage on top of their software anyway.

Edit: to translate this from corporate speak... "Man, Steam gets away with DRM somehow, why can't people love Uplay?"

Another idiot arguing for games becoming "Services" instead of products.
The moment we let these fools get away with that sort of thinking, that's when we rent games instead of owning them.

No goddammit! You're still getting it wrong! Just make a good game, that's all you need to do, no extra selling of bullshit services.

Just make a goddamn game, make it fun, make it not bugged up the ass, make it not with a convoluted interface, make it not with ads in it, make it so we don't have to sit through your bullshit before we ever even see a title screen or main menu, make it not with credit in it because you can just leave that shit outside of the game.

You motherfuckers have had so many years to learn this shit but instead you keep on adding to the bullshit, you fuckers never learn.

But besides all that, anyone wanna bet this is just to save some face after all the shit that went down recently? They can't actually be learning something right?

let me summarize my thoughts on this article ~~

IF YOU BUNCH OF $&^*$ ARE GOING AGAINST DRM THEN PUT XII BACK ON GOG.

if they do that then who knows i might not take the oppertunity to punch their ceo should i get the chance.+

Next up on Obvious News Network: does breathing help you to live. studies point to...yes!

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here