Russia will Spurn AMD, Intel for Locally-Made Processors in 2015

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Russia will Spurn AMD, Intel for Locally-Made Processors in 2015

Reject Intel AMD 310x

Russian government computers that use AMD and Intel processors will have guts replaced with homegrown CPUs.

If all goes according to plan, the millions of computers and servers owned by the Russian government will be Intel- and AMD-free in the coming months and years.

Russia's Ministry of Industry and Trade wants US-based AMD and Intel CPUs out of Kremlin-owned computers, and machines with the respective companies chips would be replaced with locally-sourced technology. The massive deal, expected to kick off in 2015, calls for Russian supercomputer maker T-Platforms to manufacturer ARM-based "Baikal " CPUs for personal computers and microservers.

Financing for the deal is being provided by defense firm Rostec, and tech giant Rosnano, both of which are run and/or financed by the Russian government.

With roughly one million PCs and servers purchased every year, the CPU switch will be massive in scope once the process gets rolling. With both AMD and Intel using x86 architecture, and the Baikal chip being ARM-based, it seems like the agreement will see new hardware with the Baikal CPU installed, instead of swapping out older chips in existing servers.

All in all, roughly five million computers and servers will eventually be running on local hardware, instead of tech designed in the United States.

Source: ITAR-TASS News Agency

Yeah, no, as a russian working in this industry I can say with 100% certainty that it ain't going to happen, or at least not by 2015. Some of the machines in the gov haven't been upgraded since 2001, I've personally seen 5 that still run on windows 95 (don't ask). 2020 deadline sounds more believable.

Translated Russian government finds new ways to give taxpayers money to Russian oligarchs buying expensive custom hardware.

All hail the USSR I guess.

Tis a scary time we live in.

All in all, roughly five million computers and servers will eventually be running on local hardware, instead of tech designed in the United States.

I could see the point of keeping US hardware out of sensitibe computers, but they'll all be made in China anyways won't they?

The geopolitical war really is kicking off.

It's going to be East versus West in no time at all...

And North Korea's new agency claimed they landed a man on the Sun. Easier said than done.

DeepComet5581:

I don't see it getting that far. Though the West has little to lose in the long run (Europe is already starting to use other sources for oil then Russia) the East has too much to lose. This is probably just the regime putting out populist message #234323242891882-A to try and drum up support at home. It's perfectly normal for a dictatorship.

Step 1 to World War 3 - outlaw all imported products, destroying national infrastructure and therefore making assets ready for easy acquisition due to antiquated technology. I wonder if they are gonna outlaw the use of Windows because it's not Russian-made.

Zontar:

DeepComet5581:

I don't see it getting that far. Though the West has little to lose in the long run (Europe is already starting to use other sources for oil then Russia) the East has too much to lose. This is probably just the regime putting out populist message #234323242891882-A to try and drum up support at home. It's perfectly normal for a dictatorship.

There was perhaps a slight tone of sarcasm intended - There are much more serious matters pushing that along.

I'd talk about it the R&P forums, but I'd probably get banned. This post at least bled out some of the bile.

What brands are even Russian-made? Are they any good?

P.S. Thanks

P.P.S. Edit: Oh, it's a new CPU they're making specifically for this purpose. I don't have high expectations.

No doubt it will cost three times as much as estimated once all of the necessary palms are greased. I take it they aren't trying to branch out to a global market but just move taxpayer money in to the hands of the elite, right?

Nuxxy:
And North Korea's new agency claimed they landed a man on the Sun. Easier said than done.

Please tell me this actually happened. :'D

OT: Huh. It'll be really weird if T-Platforms uses this boost to come out with a line of CPUs that actually competes with the Big Duo.

Surprising it took so long.

Our NSA actual has it's own chip plant so that they know exactly what is in the chips they put in their hardware. There is nothing worse than a back door installed in the hardware because the chip was manufactured by china. You can't patch them away like you can with software. Same goes for Russia and China in regard to Intel and AMD. They don't even have to backdoor all the chips just the ones mailed to government installations or cities with large government installations like DC or Moscow.

Enormous amounts of money are going to be split between the organizations and individuals involved in the process, no doubt about that.

medv4380:
Surprising it took so long.

Our NSA actual has it's own chip plant so that they know exactly what is in the chips they put in their hardware. There is nothing worse than a back door installed in the hardware because the chip was manufactured by china. You can't patch them away like you can with software. Same goes for Russia and China in regard to Intel and AMD. They don't even have to backdoor all the chips just the ones mailed to government installations or cities with large government installations like DC or Moscow.

That chip plant is used build cypher machines and various other encryption systems. Most major powers have something similar. This is not that same has having a custom cpu running on every government desktop.

I have no issues with self-sufficiency or them boosting their own economy. However I do hope their hardware developers are a little better than their software developers.

Edit: Missed the point that this was only for gov't computers. Nevermind.

Scared to death of those NSA back doors, and rightly so, I would think.

Hawkeye21:
Yeah, no, as a russian working in this industry I can say with 100% certainty that it ain't going to happen, or at least not by 2015. Some of the machines in the gov haven't been upgraded since 2001, I've personally seen 5 that still run on windows 95 (don't ask). 2020 deadline sounds more believable.

I worked for GlaxoSmithKline till last year and they still had computers running windows 95, 98 and 2000 in use by office staff in the UK it's not that uncommon.

albino boo:
Translated Russian government finds new ways to give taxpayers money to Russian oligarchs buying expensive custom hardware.

It would probably be quicker to list the Russian industries that aren't controlled by Oligarchs.

DeepComet5581:

But don't worry! I'm sure Russia's generic, low-budget store-brand processors will compete just fine with Intel and A-BUAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAA!!! AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!

*snort*

Maybe Russia can go to China for help.

Oh wait, that would probably be a bad idea.

Yeah, it is going to fail. Knowing the history of Russian-made tech and the way things are done out here nowadays, no way they are going to actually do that.

Eiv:

This would make it less scary (for Americans and others), I would think. They are tasking the developer of boutique CPUs to begin mass producing unproven CPUs for all government computers (which would include those in the military and weapons systems). I would expect a very high failure rate leading to a less effective everything. It will also help bankrupt Russia. Sounds good to me, as an American.

More power to them, the reasons for them doing it are obvious but it might be a bad time with a possible performance revolution on the horizon for enterprise/government computing with these new hybrid x86 + FPGA processors. These new Xeon chips will be way ahead of any competition in certain tasks, up to 20x the performance is nothing to sniff at.

Remus:
Step 1 to World War 3 - outlaw all imported products, destroying national infrastructure and therefore making assets ready for easy acquisition due to antiquated technology. I wonder if they are gonna outlaw the use of Windows because it's not Russian-made.

Well, these already won't be able to run Windows (at least, not the desktop version) because they're ARM-based rather than x86-based. Maybe they're planning to switch to some locally-sourced Linux variant.

Steve the Pocket:

Well, these already won't be able to run Windows (at least, not the desktop version) because they're ARM-based rather than x86-based. Maybe they're planning to switch to some locally-sourced Linux variant.

Yeah, I just did some reading on ARM architecture. Most mobile devices use ARM rather than x86, so iOS, Android, and most flavors of Linux all support ARM processors (as well as Windows CE, but let's not go there).

Say... isn't SteamOS due out in 2015 as well? :)

albino boo:

That or some one at T-Platforms was wicked crazy good under the table.

*thick russian accent* this is best prossesor , do twelve doccuments per hour.

Eiv:

This is probably a reaction to the fact that the US has been programming backdoors into all American made software/hardware. Since not long ago the Russian military started de-digitizing a lot of things for the same reason.

When you find out the US is monitoring everything you do, you have to react.

lacktheknack:

Nuxxy:

It was a hoax. Damn funny though: http://www.imediaethics.org/News/4364/Hoax__north_korea_didnt_send_17-year-old_astronaut_to_the_sun.php

lacktheknack:

Nuxxy:

OT: Huh. It'll be really weird if T-Platforms uses this boost to come out with a line of CPUs that actually competes with the Big Duo.

If they did, and then sold them in the west, intel would just pay everyone to not use them in their systems.

Just like in the early 2000's when AMD was a major threat to them.

Because fuck competing.

RedBackDragon:

GLORY TO ARSTOTSKA!

lacktheknack:

But they won't. Both Intel and AMD have billions of dollars. decades of research and many of the leading experts in the field behind them. Silicon Microprocessing isn't just a business you can start up in your garage.

RedBackDragon:

Brilliant! xD Problem is i am now reading the thread in this accent and it is hilarious!

OT: Yeh, doubt it will happen by 2015.

2018 maybe? Who knows. Hope this mess gets sorted soon, really don't want there to be another world war. I know it's an obvious thing to say, but i just wouldn't want to see it. You hear about WW1 and 2 and just imagining how scared everyone must of been and how many lives were lost. Would be a scary thing to live through =\

In America you buy the same processor as the government, in Putin Russia government process you...

MinionJoe:

Steve the Pocket:

Yeah, I just did some reading on ARM architecture. Most mobile devices use ARM rather than x86, so iOS, Android, and most flavors of Linux all support ARM processors (as well as Windows CE, but let's not go there).

Say... isn't SteamOS due out in 2015 as well? :)

SteamOS isn't currently running on ARM as far as I know. Sure, they could probably try to get a build running, but it would at most serve as a front end for the Steam In-Home Streaming. It doesn't help that you can run Linux on ARM, when most SteamOS games are compiled for x86. Still, it would be interesting to see SteamOS running on ARM, even though the games support would be microscopic, the streaming feature is pretty nice.

OT: I honestly don't see much of a problem here. A lot of government desk jobs consist of just text-processing, spreadsheets and simple data management. You don't need to run Crysis on these machines, and ARM is good at keeping it low powered with low heat signature and low costs. Coupled with Linux, ARM can be really effective. I'm writing this on my gaming rig with 8 CPU cores and 16GB RAM plus 3GB GDDR, with fans spinning constantly and an OS that is full of bloat and "features" i don't *really* need. Would I really need all this if my day to day job consisted of electronic paper work? Probably not.
And to be honest, who can blame them? It would have been totally okay if the US government decided to stop using Russian made CPUs, had the roles been reversed.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here