Hyrule Warriors Adds Two More Playable Characters - One Old, One New - Update

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Hyrule Warriors Adds Two More Playable Characters - One Old, One New - Update

Hyrule Warriors Famitsu Lana and Agitha

Twilight Princess' Agitha will be a playable character in Hyrule Warriors, as will a new character named Lana.

Update: Tecmo Koei released a large batch of screenshots today featuring Lana, Agitha, Midna, and even a few shots of Zant as an antagonist. Additionally, players can choose to dress Link and Zelda in their costumes from Twilight Princess.

Original story: The cast of playable characters in Hyrule Warriors, the Legend of Zelda spinoff in a Dynasty Warriors style, continues to grow with even more female characters. An issue of Famitsu revealed "princess of the insect kingdom" Agitha from Twilight Princess, as well as details on an entirely new character, Lana.

Lana is the White Witch of Hyrule Warriors and fights with a magical book. She can create walls to blow away enemies and shock enemies when the walls are destroyed. She is an original character created for the game. The antagonist of Hyrule Warriors is another witch named Cia, the Black Witch.

Agitha's only canon appearance in the Zelda series is in Twilight Princess where she tasks Link with bringing her golden bugs because she's a young, eccentric girl who loves bugs. In Hyrule Warriors she fights with her parasol and summons bugs to attack enemies.

Lana and Agitha join Link, Midna, Zelda, and Impa as playable characters. Tecmo Koei released a video yesterday of Impa's powerful long sword attacks. The Famitsu issue suggested Twilight Princess' Zant and the dragon Argorok will appear in Hyrule Warriors in some form.

Hyrule Warriors is very heavy on fighting, but players will be able to have some level of exploration beyond running forward and mowing down hordes of bokoblins. Link's hookshot will make a return for Hyrule Warriors, allowing players to reach previously inaccessible areas. And if that's enough, with certain strengthening items, players can bring down the moon from Majora's Mask on to enemies.

Legend of Zelda has many female characters who are never playable - due to the games being about Link's adventures - so it's nice to see the female-heavy cast of Hyrule Warriors.

Source: Siliconera

This seems interesting, I didn't expect to have more characters in this game than the 4 mentioned from the start. Maybe we'll get even more of them? Here's for hoping :D

All Agatha really needs to do is say some of the lines she had in Twilight Princess to the enemies. That'll send them running away in fear, that's for sure. Or they'll at least be stunned due to their brains trying to process what they just heard.

I'm still waiting for a Lu Bu confirmation. Honestly, that's the only way this game could possibly sound cooler.

oh, and Gannondorf as playable, and actually use that sword he has in his Smash bros taunts.

Getting the vibe that the majority of Dynasty Warriors fans are women.

fingers crossed for all the characters from Twilight Princess pub gang and the 4 races heroes from Majora's Mask all being playable :)
I know a lot of people are turned off by Warrior games but I'm so looking forward to this. I'm not huge into Dynasty Warriors but I do like playing them every now and then, specially Warriors Orochi.

I was just happy with Midna making a return to the series, one of the more intriguing characters in the series. Plus her speech was pretty cool, like playing records backwards to find the hidden satanic messages....

I'm SHOCKED to see Agatha here. What's next, the Happy Mask Salesma- Oh god, No!
But seriously, I'm curious to see how she plays, and wonder if we'll get any villains playable. That Volvagia guy looks super cool.

This is really cool. An original character makes sense, but I would have never guessed Agatha. Fun to see them mining the obscure character roster from the franchise.

Also, that is two specifically Twilight Princess characters. I wonder if this is going to be some sort of Twilight Princess specific spinoff.

Incidentally, this brings the playable character cast to 1 male and 5 females. Good to see a developer willing to break the default male character assumption.

So I wonder if Ubisoft is taking notes on how to other companies are making playable female characters? lol

ot: Cool news. Still wanting to see playable Ganondorf because that'd be radical. Also wouldn't mind seeing Nabooru, Darunia, Ruto, Saria (probably won't happen), Din and Nayru (Oracles games), and Vaati (human form).

EDIT: Also, Majora's Mask Skull Kid. That would be sweet.

I need my Groose!

Though I'd also put good money down that a certain adult fairy man shows up....

Doomsdaylee:
I'm SHOCKED to see Agatha here. What's next, the Happy Mask Salesma- Oh god, No!
But seriously, I'm curious to see how she plays, and wonder if we'll get any villains playable. That Volvagia guy looks super cool.

A happy mask sales man would trigger a pre-order from me. That would be incredible.

OT - Surprised they are announcing Agatha before a Zora or even Skull Kid. Maybe those ones are "no brainers" and they are announcing the more "left field" picks?

I want a villian side too mainly because one person playing as link and the other as ganondorf to fight ganondorf sounds hilarious (also there's a wide cast of villains to use too it'd make things interesting).

Mangue Surfer:
Getting the vibe that the majority of Dynasty Warriors fans are women.

I think there's more girl zelda fans than girl dynasty warrior fans.

Still holding out on hope that Malo and the Happy Mask Salesmen are playable characters. Hopefully Nintendo doesn't subscribe a stupid idea that salespeople are too hard to animate.

Know what would be a really, really interesting playable character? The fairy companions. Specifically, I'm thinking the duo of Tatl and Tael, but I could see it as individual ones or even some other combination of them.

Doomsdaylee:

That actually sounds like a great idea! The Salesman could use his masks as weapons/abilities he can change at any time. Such masks sound more useful (but less hilarious) than Agitha's bugs.

I'm quite surprised at the amount of Twilight Princess love this game has. Midna, The Palace of Twilight, and several enemies would have been enough, but this is just absurd.

Doomsdaylee:

He's probably going to end up as a merchant who sales weapons/item/buffs, like any other Warrior games.

I want a goron chieftain and wont be sadisfied till I get it. Also Ganon is kind of mandatory as a playable character.

Agitha? Well I didn't see that one coming, though that's not to say it doesn't sound awesome sowing terror in your enemies by filling their pants with bugs. Now we just have to wait for confirmation of Tingle as a playable character.

Guffe:
This seems interesting, I didn't expect to have more characters in this game than the 4 mentioned from the start. Maybe we'll get even more of them? Here's for hoping :D

It's an Omega Force game. Anything less than 20 characters would be an insult.

DaViller:
I want a goron chieftain and wont be sadisfied till I get it. Also Ganon is kind of mandatory as a playable character.

He'll be in Hyrule Warriors Xtreme Legends.

Zachary Amaranth:

Guffe:
Maybe we'll get even more of them? Here's for hoping :D

It's an Omega Force game. Anything less than 20 characters would be an insult.

Well that seems promising :D

Zachary Amaranth:

DaViller:

He'll be in Hyrule Warriors Xtreme Legends.

What is this Legends thing you're talking about? I've missed something now apparently...

They said at E3 that if you have a favorite Zelda character, you'll very likely be able to play as them in Hyrule Warriors, which is a bold statement. But the thing is that we need more villains to round things out to the proper Dynasty Warriors standard - thusly, I would like to see Skull Kid, Zant, Vaati, and even Yuga join the fray. It goes without saying that Ganondorf should be playable as well. If I can't play as Ganondorf, that'll probably be a deal-breaker for me.

Koei and Omega-Force did a pretty great job with balancing the Gundam versions of their games in terms of heroes-to-villains ratio, so here's hoping they'll do the same for this one. But then again, in those games they missed out on obviously-suited-to-the-gameplay suits like Altron, so sometime even the simplest of ideas escape their notice.

Guffe:

What is this Legends thing you're talking about? I've missed something now apparently...

Most of the Warriors games (Dynasty/Samurai) have had XL (Xtreme Legends) expansions. These expansions include new story modes, new levels, new characters, and/or new weapons depending on the version. Prior to DLC, they had a "remix" function where you could play the standalone game or disc swap to play new characters on the basic stages. Now they're usually DLC, I guess.

I don't know that we'll see this for Hyrule Warriors, as it doesn't seem like something Nintendo would do. Plus, I'm pretty sure their previous games from licensed franchises didn't do it (DW Gundam and Fist of the North Star). Mostly, it's just a joke about their habits with prior games.

Hi is this the meeting of Impa Fangirls and Fanboys Anonymous? I'd like to confess my obsession.

Agatha? Seriously? What the hell will her attacks be? Something to do with bugs? Not complaining just surprised.

DaViller:

Ganon would be cool, though I'd think they'd want to use him as an enemy, if not the big bad.

*sarcasm mode start*
so we get a bishonen boy and 4 women? how are manly men suposed to enjoy this game if there is no 30something grizled straight white dude who lost his girlfriend to the villian and has to defeat him through the power of rage?
*sarcasm mode end*

usually i am happy if i get 1 playable female character in a game, this is like christmas :-)

Trishbot:
I need my Groose!

Though I'd also put good money down that a certain adult fairy man shows up....

One way or the other, I need more Groose too (I knew I wouldn't be the first one to mention him)

As for the other two, I only have eyes for Agatha. She was my favorite character in Twilight Princess and I loved her mini-game too...though she got scary if she detected a bug on you...and money was really easy to come by too so there wasn't much incentive for me to continually go back to her, especially with the smaller wallets.

This game seems heavy on the Twilight Princess flavor; which is a bit disappointing. OoT and TP were the most overrated Zelda games IMO (IMO! IMO! See? I said its my opinion, so... *flame shield*)

On a positive note, the "Child Link timeline" that leads to TP in which this seems to take place includes Majora's Mask, so here's hoping for a lot more of that. MM deserves more love.

That's interesting, but I've got to ask, why Agitha? Why not that samurai/ninja girl from Twilight Princess (I forget her name)?

canadamus_prime:
That's interesting, but I've got to ask, why Agitha? Why not that samurai/ninja girl from Twilight Princess (I forget her name)?

Ashei if you are referring to the girl in the group that meets at the bar.

OT: I must say that Agitha is an odd choice, but her being there is promising for other obscure characters to appear too.
Ralph from Oracle of Ages would be a cool for example. Not sure what he would do, but they could come up with something.

I would love to see the Deku, Goron, Zora, and even Fierce Deity Link as playable characters, along with Skull Kid, and maybe even Happy Mask Salesman.

Other Links in general would be awesome. Considering this game has little care for canon, how awesome would it be to have Links come from different time periods to help out?

And Groose, we gotta have Groose, I will be extremely disappointed we he isn't there.

roseofbattle:
Hyrule Warriors Adds Two More Playable Characters - One Old, One New

I guess next they'll be announcing a borrowed character and a blue character?

Agitha? Of all characters in the Legend of Zelda series they choose Agitha? Why? She wasn't even that interesting or memorable.

WhiteTigerShiro:

roseofbattle:
Hyrule Warriors Adds Two More Playable Characters - One Old, One New

I guess next they'll be announcing a borrowed character and a blue character?

Or a borrowed character and a Bu character.

OT: I'm actually wondering if "Lana" is supposed to be the goddess Nayru in human form.

Agitha kind of came out of nowhere though. I can only imagine what her fighting style is going to be.

I was waiting for more characters to appear. Kinda surprised it's two women, really. Still kinda expecting more since Koei's good at adapting even minor characters to fully fledged ones.

I wonder how big the roster will get? Bigger the better, I say.

Neronium:
All Agatha really needs to do is say some of the lines she had in Twilight Princess to the enemies. That'll send them running away in fear, that's for sure. Or they'll at least be stunned due to their brains trying to process what they just heard.

<.< Well that sounds cryptic. Care to share what she said with those who do not know?

OT: There are normally lots of characters to pick from in D.W. games, right? So adding more is to be expected.

Neat that they added a brand new one. Hope she is well received and fun to play.

Doomsdaylee:

His ultimate attack could just be to do this:
and destroy everything in a 5 mile radius.

Sheo_Dagana:

Koei and Omega-Force did a pretty great job with balancing the Gundam versions of their games in terms of heroes-to-villains ratio, so here's hoping they'll do the same for this one. But then again, in those games they missed out on obviously-suited-to-the-gameplay suits like Altron, so sometime even the simplest of ideas escape their notice.

I'm hoping they put as much effort into this as they did the Dynasty Warriors Gundam series. I was never really all the interested in Dynasty Warriors until they threw Gundams in there, so I'm pretty excited. I'm actually surprised that the Dynasty Warriors series has only branched out to 2 other IPs by this point.

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here