New Military Tourniquet Saves Lives in Under 25 Seconds

New Military Tourniquet Saves Lives in Under 25 Seconds

The new tourniquet is designed to offset trauma from IED explosions.

When you imagine a tourniquet, there's a chance you think back to some Hollywood action flick, where the hero ties his or her belt around the arm of some shot comrade. And that's all well and good! Tourniquets typically are tied around an arm or a leg to stop the injured from bleeding out.

But combat medics in active war zones don't often deal with "typical" wounds. In fact, with the rise of IEDs and road-side bombings, many medics are treating soldiers amputated by the blast, with serious injuries in the midsection -- an area where the aforementioned tourniquet won't be of much help.

To deal with such injuries, SAM Medical and design firm Ziba teamed up to produce the SAM Junctional Tourniquet. The SAM JT is specifically designed to treat wounds sustained during an IED blast, looking like an oversized belt with a blood pressure valve tacked on. In reality, the JT has air bladders that fill when activated (and can't be over-filled, thanks to the built-in stop valve), and keep blood from pouring out of a leg or pelvic wound.

SAM Medical was founded by Dr. Sam Scheinberg, who served as a combat surgeon during Vietnam. He enlisted Ziba to design the Junctional Tourniquet, although the Portland-based design team has never worked on combat equipment before. You might recognize Ziba's work, though, as they've designed ketchup bottles currently used by Heinz, as well as speaker systems for Logitech.

The Junctional Tourniquet has been in service for about a month, and it's already saved at least one life. It's also FDA approved, which means it could be coming to a hospital or ambulance near you soon.

Source: WIRED

Oh cool. I was wondering if this was the same company that made the SAM Splint, which they are. Very cool.

SAM may just be the manufacturer, but it's still reassuring to hear they're involved.

Its all cool and shit but I really dont like these sort of videos with the segmented sentences and dramatic background music, add to that the incredibly blurred backgrounds. They all seem way too fake and make it seem like the product cant sell on its own. They never really talk much of how it is different from the already existing methods, just that it is great.

I dont know, I think a proper demonstration of the device (on an artificial model) would have been a lot more interesting to watch.

josemlopes:
Its all cool and shit but I really dont like these sort of videos with the segmented sentences and dramatic background music, add to that the incredibly blurred backgrounds. They all seem way too fake and make it seem like the product cant sell on its own. They never really talk much of how it is different from the already existing methods, just that it is great.

I dont know, I think a proper demonstration of the device (on an artificial model) would have been a lot more interesting to watch.

The SAM website has the training video, which includes a lot more details, including how to use the device for various injuries. It's all animated, but very detailed.

http://www.sammedical.com/products/the-sam-junctional-tourniquet/

jabrwock:

josemlopes:

The SAM website has the training video, which includes a lot more details, including how to use the device for various injuries. It's all animated, but very detailed.

In a minute (from 1:00 to around 2:10) they explain how it works (and its really easy to understand), that is the shit that should have been included in the "marketing" video instead of keeping it exclusive to the instructional one.

Not to mention the S&M applications!

piscian:
Not to mention the S&M applications!

Please only use actual BDSM-approved restraints. Don't want you to bump your head or something worse like fall on and shatter a glass dildo with your back (happened to a friend) and then end up in the hospital explaining why there's a glass ballsack sticking out of your tramp stamp tattoo.

I wonder if they could make a tourniquet that used a small gas canister to instantly inflate, still using the pressure valves to prevent over inflation. Looking forward to getting one in my SABC kit and teaching it in the future. Love the SAM splints; everyone can figure out how to use them and they are super lightweight. I'm happy when they make the tools safer and easier to use, like when they started putting Quik-Clot on the gauze which stopped people getting the powder in their eyes in a windy environment or when they updated the tourniquets to be operated with one hand: smart ideas that have saved lives.

MarsAtlas:

Please only use actual BDSM-approved restraints. Don't want you to bump your head or something worse like fall on and shatter a glass dildo with your back (happened to a friend) and then end up in the hospital explaining why there's a glass ballsack sticking out of your tramp stamp tattoo.

oooowwwww......are Glass dildos solid? I always assumed they were

Some of our front line guys go out on patrol wearing a tourniquet on each limb ready. The touniquets we are issued are just simple bands with elastic that you can self tie due to the clips on the handle.

I can't wee the vid, but how would the 'air bladders' survive the blast themselves? Wouldn't they be a bit fragile in war?

josemlopes:

jabrwock:

josemlopes:

In a minute (from 1:00 to around 2:10) they explain how it works (and its really easy to understand), that is the shit that should have been included in the "marketing" video instead of keeping it exclusive to the instructional one.

Totally agree, the marketing video left me trying to figure out just how the fuck the thing was supposed to work, the Instructional video was a whole lot more useful.

"Military" and "saving lives" in the same sentence always seems like an oxymoron to me.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here