Oculus Acquires Carbon Design, Firm Behind Xbox 360 Controller

Oculus Acquires Carbon Design, Firm Behind Xbox 360 Controller

Carbon Design Xbox 360 Controller 310x

The Carbon Design team will stay in Seattle, while working closely with the Product Engineering, and R&D teams.

Oculus just announced via its Kickstarter page that it has acquired Carbon Design, the design firm responsible for the Xbox 360 controller.

Oculus, itself bought by Facebook just a few months ago, has "been working with Carbon for nearly a year on multiple unannounced projects," which likely led to buyout talks.

Details are sure to emerge, but no substantial changes to the Carbon Design team were announced today. The firm will continue to work out of their Seattle, WA offices, while collaborating with the Oculus Product Engineering, and R&D teams across California, and Redmond, WA.

Carbon has worked with a number of clients in the past -- and collected dozens of awards in the process -- but much of the company's work has been with Microsoft. Carbon was involved in the design of the Xbox 360 controller, Xbox 360 Kinect sensor, other Xbox accessories, as well as PC peripherals and packaging for Microsoft.

Oculus expects the acquisition to be fully complete by the end of the summer (presumably by the end of Q3 2014).

A virtual reality headset, designed by Carbon, with Oculus guts and know-how? Color me intrigued. Leave your thoughts on the purchase down in the comments.

this little company is shaping up to be something very interesting,
very well designed VR technology is looking like less of a dream and more of a reality or in another term,
the hype is real.

I know I probably don't know enough to be throwing my own two cents in on the situation, but does it seem odd to anyone else that this company has become such a big player when it hasn't technically put anything out yet?

sirjeffofshort:
I know I probably don't know enough to be throwing my own two cents in on the situation, but does it seem odd to anyone else that this company has become such a big player when it hasn't technically put anything out yet?

Nope. Because they have put stuff out(the dev kits) and people liked it. You don't have to have put out a finished product to get big if even your beta is well received. Just look at Minecraft for proof of that. Of course, making a good product isn't the end of it. They also had good timing(right when Kickstarter was receiving a lot of attention) and knew how to keep their product in the spotlight(E3 presence helped with that).

In any case, this news sounds good to me. OR already has talented people hashing out the internal mechanics and software of this thing. Now they have people on board to handle the aesthetics and ergonomics of the thing.

sirjeffofshort:

Its not so much that Oculus is a big player itself, but rather that it has a big player in Facebook behind it, which has tons and tons and tons of cash to chuck around.

Brian Tams:

sirjeffofshort:

Its not so much that Oculus is a big player itself, but rather that it has a big player in Facebook behind it, which has tons and tons and tons of cash to chuck around.

and tons of fans to check more cash at them

FWIW: I have the first Developer Kit, and I bought the shipping-soon Dev Kit 2. I've used the hardware, and it's worth it.

-Devin Connors

Well, looks like they are putting the newfound money to buy the research they want instead of just sitting on it like many other bought out companies. Altrough their target worries me since i never liked the 360 controller design to begin with.

Strazdas:
Well, looks like they are putting the newfound money to buy the research they want instead of just sitting on it like many other bought out companies. Altrough their target worries me since i never liked the 360 controller design to begin with.

I think that Occulus are looking at Carbon primarily for their sensor tech as supposed to their controller tech. That's how I see it at least, although I could certainly be wrong in my presumption.

I think it's a sound move on the part of Occulus, but time will ultimately be the judge.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here