Battlefield: Hardline "Not Just a Re-Skin" Claims Dev

Battlefield: Hardline "Not Just a Re-Skin" Claims Dev

Visceral games claims that Battlefield: Hardline is more than a mere Battlefield 4 expansion pack.

If you've tried out the Battlefield: Hardline beta, you may have walked away with the same thoughts as me, namely, "This is a basically a Battlefield 4 expansion pack, or mod." Developer Visceral has now spoken out against such kind of criticisms, claiming that there is actually a lot more that they are not showing us, and that Battlefield: Hardline is "not just a re-skin" of Battlefield 4.

"I think you'll understand where the value proposition is with this game. There is a lot of new content. It's not just a re-skin or a re-use of assets," Visceral's lead multiplayer designer Thad Sesser told PlayStation Life Style. "We've got all new assets, we got a lot of stuff still coming in, so look forward, check us out in the future, play it, tell us what you think."

He stated that what players are seeing in the beta "is just a small portion of what we got. Obviously, we got a wide range of maps. We got a lot more weapons. We got a lot more cool gadgets," and that it isn't an accurate representation of the game.

He did admit that "Well, obviously the engine's the same. We're using Frostbite 3," but added that his team had "improved the vehicle physics and so on because, in a cops and criminal setting, vehicle collisions are way more important than in Battlefield."

"So, we're making fundamental changes under the hood to some of these systems. In terms of the UI, we still want it to be recognizably Battlefield, but we've got some changes, we're listening to user feedback, we're always soliciting comments and feedback from the players, so if you've got specific comments, you got specific feedback, let us know."

He ended the interview by stressing that his team "still has some time before launch," (for the record, Battlefield: Hardline is due out in October) and that he is listening very carefully to fan feedback.

What were you impressions of the beta? For me, I'm pretty sure this is where I'll be drawing the hard line on a Battlefield title, and refuse to buy it.

Source: PlayStation Life Style via VG 24/7

Oh my God! He's logic is just fantastic! "Buy the game, either like it or hate it, doesn't fucking matter we got your sixty bucks." Depending on where you buy this, you could be paying sixty bucks for an expansion pack with no refund. Origin at least offers one, but console players are screwed.

The beta wasn't bad, the theme was nifty, the modes were fun, and I didn't have to run away from vehicles. But it is not worth a day one purchase of sixty bucks. Nope. I'll buy it eventually, just nowhere near launch.

Edit: So I finally got around to video. We have him saying right on the spot, that micro-transactions will not be happening. I'm gonna hold them to that.

"There is a lot of new content. It's not just a re-skin or a re-use of assets," Visceral's lead multiplayer designer Thad Sesser said. "We've got all new assets, we got a lot of stuff still coming in, so look forward, check us out in the future, play it, tell us what you think."

He stated that what players are seeing in the beta "is just a small portion of what we got. Obviously, we got a wide range of maps. We got a lot more weapons. We got a lot more cool gadgets,"

Y'know what else was all of these things?

I personally hated the Hardline beta, and I was so glad that the beat was released now instead of a few weeks before the game launches as there is a lot to improve on.

Well he is right somewhat, this really isn't en expansion pack, I would have expected this to be added to the existing game as a new mode at $10 tops (decent studios do that for free even). But hey it's EA doing what EA does best... EA business.

Yeah sure I'd accept that. Its a shooter what do people expect really? It to have a romance mechanic?
Its a shooting game, you shoot things. What is the difference between it and the other shooty games that makes it "lesser"?

Elfgore:
Oh my God! He's logic is just fantastic! "Buy the game, either like it or hate it, doesn't fucking matter we got your sixty bucks." Depending on where you buy this, you could be paying sixty bucks for an expansion pack with no refund. Origin at least offers one, but console players are screwed.

The beta wasn't bad, the theme was nifty, the modes were fun, and I didn't have to run away from vehicles. But it is not worth a day one purchase of sixty bucks. Nope. I'll buy it eventually, just nowhere near launch.

Does this "expansion" as you put it offer around as much content as Battlefield 3/4? Honest question as I care little for shooters so don't honestly know.

Rozalia1:
Yeah sure I'd accept that. Its a shooter what do people expect really? It to have a romance mechanic?
Its a shooting game, you shoot things. What is the difference between it and the other shooty games that makes it "lesser"?

Elfgore:

Does this "expansion" as you put it offer around as much content as Battlefield 3/4? Honest question as I care little for shooters so don't honestly know.

Before I answer, I'd like to put a lot of emphasis on my use of the word "could." I don't have enough to judge the game right now. If I seem judgmental it's only because I've been burned before, which I'll explain below.

But to answer your question, three did change enough from two to be considered its own game. They did a massive update to graphics, weapons, and the style of play. The difference between three and four is almost unnoticeable. I think the graphics somehow got worse and there is barely any change to weapons. Just new maps. Sixty bucks down the drain. I beat the campaign and haven't touched four again.

Hardline does have some hope from me. The new modes are nice, but then again, I don't have enough to give final judgement.

There is a lot of new content. It's not just a re-skin or a re-use of assets," Visceral's lead multiplayer designer Thad Sesser told PlayStation Life Style. "We've got all new assets, we got a lot of stuff still coming in, so look forward, check us out in the future, play it, tell us what you think."

Look, I'm sorry, but if you do supposedly have "all new assets", and "a lot of stuff coming in", how about fucking showing some of it off in the beta, instead of giving us what essentially boils down to the same old stuff in the past Battlefields.

Cause from what I played of the beta it really does seem like Battlefield 4 with a re-skin, and I am not buying the whole thing to try out the new stuff.

So as far as I am concerned, I won't be buying it, and the beta hasn't given me any reason to change my mind.

Wow, they improved the vehicle physics! So, since they use the same engine, why can't you implement that into BF4?

To be fair, what was this guy supposed to say? "Yeah, you got us. We got lazy with this one and just wanted to crap out a new title so we slapped this together in a couple weeks and are just trying to make some easy money from the franchise's core fanbase."

All I'm saying is at this point in the game we should really expect to be lied to. Not that that makes trying to insult our intelligence like this any less offensive, just saying we should stop getting upset about it and just stop buying games from the companies that do this. Because that's really the only way we'll tell these pricks that what they're doing is unacceptable.

I'm looking at you too, Ubisoft.

A resounding MEH on the beta.

They can't very well admit to it lol Given enough iterations, they maybe lucky enough to turn out like Treyarch, and start making the good Battlefields over time.

I am done with the Battlefield franchise until they revert back to WWII.

RJ 17:
All I'm saying is at this point in the game we should really expect to be lied to. Not that that makes trying to insult our intelligence like this any less offensive, just saying we should stop getting upset about it and just stop buying games from the companies that do this.

Do those two things need to be mutually exclusive? I mean, I'm not going to buy the game, but can I still be vocally bitter and angry about it? Otherwise they might not know why I'm not buying it, which would be a travesty.

shirkbot:

RJ 17:
All I'm saying is at this point in the game we should really expect to be lied to. Not that that makes trying to insult our intelligence like this any less offensive, just saying we should stop getting upset about it and just stop buying games from the companies that do this.

Do those two things need to be mutually exclusive?

Not necessarily. What I was really trying to get at is that we should actually start expecting crap like this. That doesn't justify it or make it better, but the AAA companies these days seem hell-bent on causing another game crash like there was back in the 80's. If they want to drive themselves out of business then let them. Yeah, it'll suck for us for a little bit considering there'll be a big drop-off in games once the crash happens, but it's time to separate the wheat from the chaff. Trim the bloated fat of all the AAA companies that believe themselves too big to fail, let them all go bankrupt and close up shop because they insulted the intelligence and abused the loyalty of their consumer base too many times. New companies will arise and correct the mistakes of the old ones.......then in another 30 years they'll become corrupt and "abusive" and we'll just tear them down and wait for the next round.

Quite simply: if they don't already know why we're pissed off at them, no amount of complaining on forums is going to teach them. :P

Still, I do understand the necessity for venting. :3

So you wanted to make the 'beta' as shit as it is?

Bang up job you're doing.

Rozalia1:

RJ 17:
To be fair, what was this guy supposed to say? "Yeah, you got us. We got lazy with this one and just wanted to crap out a new title so we slapped this together in a couple weeks and are just trying to make some easy money from the franchise's core fanbase."

All I'm saying is at this point in the game we should really expect to be lied to. Not that that makes trying to insult our intelligence like this any less offensive, just saying we should stop getting upset about it and just stop buying games from the companies that do this. Because that's really the only way we'll tell these pricks that what they're doing is unacceptable.

I'm looking at you too, Ubisoft.

Nah, they SHOULD say how they're trying to make some easy money from GTA and APB's core fanbases.

Well Visceral, you knew what you were getting into when you became subjugated by EA all those years back and look where you are now..churning out Battlefield games. This essentially is an attempt to cash in on the success of Payday's games, nothing else.

This is a $60 standalone game? When I saw it at E3 I thought it was a $15-20 "add-on" thing for BF4. Hoooly shit. On that note...poor Visceral. No wonder so much talent split at around the same time.

Oh Please, BF4 was just an expansion pack for BF3. Hardline is the equivalent of a crappy mod.

actually, scratch that. Mods such as BF2 Project Reality and BF2142 First Strike are much better than Hardline will ever be.

Given the backlash to Hardline, I might only consider picking it up because I didn't get BF4 to begin with.

... Or I could just pick up BF4 since it should be cheaper by now.

It a good thing I've long since stopped buying EA titles otherwise this might piss me off.

Get desensitized to the ever encroaching police state. This game is just a ploy to familiarize you with our new militarized police force. Did your little town need a MRAP? We got one, like the Lee County Sherriff Office needs a IED proof vehicle.

Now only if they will make an expansion pack to this expansion pack "Battlefield: Dominion Tank Police". :)

Of course that might be too serious for this, I mean my first thought when I heard this was a game trying to seriously present a sandbox like "Prototype" where you can say go driving a tank down the sidewalk, mashing crowds of fleeing civilians, and still be considered the "good guy". Yahtzee even made a joke about that during his old review if I remember. :)

That, and I'd love to engage in "compassionate, liberal law enforcement" by say trying to shoot the gun out of people's hands, or simply disable a tire, with the main gun of a tank, or say shoot RPGs into meth labs... Of course the only difference between that and Saint's Row or Grand Theft Auto (old school) would be wearing a badge. :)

I can just envision preventing a mugging by lobbing a proximity mine at a dude with a knife (oops, sorry).

If my visions turn out to be accurate, perhaps they can cut a deal with Marvel to have "The Punisher" appear and become a high profile activist for compassion in law enforcement because "these criminal crackdowns are just going too far...". :)

ThunderCavalier:
Given the backlash to Hardline, I might only consider picking it up because I didn't get BF4 to begin with.

BF4 might be a good purchase now. I think you can pick it up for half price and there are still plenty of people online.

Scorpid:
It a good thing I've long since stopped buying EA titles otherwise this might piss me off.

It's amazing what happens when you stop caring. I decided not to buy another Battlefield game about a month ago and all this has rolled right off my back.

fix-the-spade:

Very nice summary of the situation.

I feel very confidently that one of the maps used in the beta is a copy of a map from bf4, they may have just changed some colors and some trees and added a few more bits inside the buildings, but the layout of buildings, their size, and the layout of the streets was near identical to one segment of a previous map.

Oh also.....the in game cash system...I hate to be this guy, but COD did it first...well maybe not first but before BF

ThunderCavalier:

After having played a lot of BF3 lately since gettin it for free and tryin out BF4 when they had the 50% off thing, I think I still prefer BF3. It seems like theres a bigger playerbase on BF3 than BF4 at times too (on the pc obviously).

Kalezian:

Denamic:
Wow, they improved the vehicle physics! So, since they use the same engine, why can't you implement that into BF4?

because then people would realize it's just a reskin of Battlefield 4, which it isn't, and it will have the same bugs as the base game.

Also, god damn it, when will EA realize they need to shut the fuck up during interviews. "Only a small amount in the beta" GOOD JOB FUCKTARD, so when the game releases as there is bugs out the ass dont go calling your beta players objectively wrong because you refused to make it an actual Beta instead of a fucking DEMO.

CALL IT WHAT IT FUCKING IS.

YOU HAVE A MULTIPLAYER DEMO, IT ISN'T A FUCKING BETA.

Jesus Christ, anyone who buys into this game being it's own is a fucking moron that deserves to have their $60 taken from them.

Off topic, remember when expansion packs didn't cost $60 and were sold as their own games?

Remember when expansion packs were actually good?

Well, this is EA we are talking about here.

Dear fellow Escapist,

Great to see that angry pills are still on the menu. Don't mix with alcohol, steroids or the use of heavy machinery. Take care and fuck the king. Sincerely,

SJ

Of course it isn't a reskin, it would've looked much better if it was just a reskin!

Did they really point to the vehicles as something new? They are the definition of the re-skin. The helicopters are re-skins of BF4's scout helis, and the bikes are the same as the bikes from BF4. The police cruisers and sports cars are re-skins of the buggies. ALL THE VEHICLES HANDLE THE SAME AS THEIR BF4 COUNTERPARTS (given, they do have different, more arcade-y engine noises, so there's that}.

My biggest realization that it was a re-skin wasn't that most of the environment models and other assets were the same as BF4, but it was the fact that the Hardline beta had ALL the same glitches, bugs and shitty netcode as the BF4 beta did.

AdagioBoognish:

there are still plenty of people online.

I wish that was true... Been playing lots of BF4 since they released the new patch, but the servers are disappearing. If you want to play on a specific map on a specific mode at any time; near impossible. If you want to play on a specific map on any mode; you might get lucky. When the hardcore servers start outnumbering the normal servers, you start to worry for the game. Maybe in a month, it'll start picking up again when the BF3 surge dies down, but keep your fingers and possibly all of your appendages crossed till then.

Rozalia1:

Elfgore:

OK, so you don't seem to be interested in FPS, i for one don't have any real preference when it comes to game genres, but you not liking shooters doesn't instantly mean that all shooters are stupid and are the same dull game with a different theme..

Take a look at Metro: Last Last, for example, does the shooting in that game look and "feel" like the shooting in CoD: Ghosts? not at all, since one has more sophisticated shooting mechanics and other profound and well-excuted mechanics that make up a better shooter.

And why are you here? i'm not trying to be rude, but seriously, this whole article is a waste of time for people uninterested in FPS games/Battlefield/EA..

Therumancer:
Now only if they will make an expansion pack to this expansion pack "Battlefield: Dominion Tank Police". :)

Of course that might be too serious for this, I mean my first thought when I heard this was a game trying to seriously present a sandbox like "Prototype" where you can say go driving a tank down the sidewalk, mashing crowds of fleeing civilians, and still be considered the "good guy". Yahtzee even made a joke about that during his old review if I remember. :)

That, and I'd love to engage in "compassionate, liberal law enforcement" by say trying to shoot the gun out of people's hands, or simply disable a tire, with the main gun of a tank, or say shoot RPGs into meth labs... Of course the only difference between that and Saint's Row or Grand Theft Auto (old school) would be wearing a badge. :)

I can just envision preventing a mugging by lobbing a proximity mine at a dude with a knife (oops, sorry).

If my visions turn out to be accurate, perhaps they can cut a deal with Marvel to have "The Punisher" appear and become a high profile activist for compassion in law enforcement because "these criminal crackdowns are just going too far...". :)

I'd prefer a Panzer Cop expansion. Goofy homicidal gun slinging trench coat-wearing mimes mandatory.

It doesn't happen often, but when you do manage to pull off a Terminator run complete with a high kill count while hip firing a LMG it is exhilarating.

fix-the-spade:

Rozalia1:

Gonna have to disagree with you about Tehran Highway. Had a great time there driving LAVs and tanks during Rush, and it was the source of some of my highest stealth kill streaks in DM after Caspian Border. Other than that, spot on :)

Gottesstrafe:
Gonna have to disagree with you about Tehran Highway. Had a great time there driving LAVs and tanks during Rush,

That's exactly why Tehran was so horrible, the options for flanking enemy armour are just about nil, the only solution was massively co-ordinated RPG fire, assuming the tank didn't just roll into cover.

On other Rush maps the level is either wide enough to flank around armour, so narrow the tank can advance or retreat, but not dodge, or a friendly A10/Choppy can be called in to ruin the tank's day. Tehran is just a perfect mix of no air support and just wide enough for the tank to dodge and cover, so you can't just rocket it to death Seine Crossing and Grand Bazaar style. A reasonably smart tanker on Tehran basically shuts the map down, which is why I hate it so.

fix-the-spade:

Gottesstrafe:
Gonna have to disagree with you about Tehran Highway. Had a great time there driving LAVs and tanks during Rush,

That's exactly why Tehran was so horrible, the options for flanking enemy armour are just about nil, the only solution was massively co-ordinated RPG fire, assuming the tank didn't just roll into cover.

On other Rush maps the level is either wide enough to flank around armour, so narrow the tank can advance or retreat, but not dodge, or a friendly A10/Choppy can be called in to ruin the tank's day. Tehran is just a perfect mix of no air support and just wide enough for the tank to dodge and cover, so you can't just rocket it to death Seine Crossing and Grand Bazaar style. A reasonably smart tanker on Tehran basically shuts the map down, which is why I hate it so.

You can still close the distance yourself and plant C4, mine choke points, or drive a light infantry vehicle covered with explosives into them. Even if they make it a point to stay back a bit and snipe, they're still vulnerable to the first and last options. Flanking options aren't as nil as you'd like to believe. In fact, I find the low light visibility, numerous buildings with intersecting alleyways, hillsides, and traffic barriers very conducive for sneaking up on the enemy. I've used those tactics to sabotage and steal enemy vehicles several times during Rush and Conquest.

It's not like, say, Paracel storm where you can completely shut down the Attackers on Rush if you manage to steal their attack boat and hold onto it.

It looks like EA wants a Payday but they don't want to commit Grand Theft Auto to get it.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here