North Korea Threatens War With US Over Seth Rogen Comedy

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

North Korea Threatens War With US Over Seth Rogen Comedy

The Interview has touched a nerve.

An unidentified spokesman for Kim Jong-Un's regime has declared that North Korea will unleash a "swift and merciless" retaliation against the US unless Seth Rogen's comedy The Interview gets canned. The comedy, which features a plot to assassinate Kim Jong Un, is described as "act of war that we will never tolerate," "reckless U.S. provocative insanity" from "gangster filmmakers" whose intent, the spokesman alleges, is to challenge the North's leadership directly.

The film features Seth Rogen and James Franco as celebrity TV journalists who obtain an interview with Kim Jong-Un, only to be recruited by the CIA in an assassination plot. While the North Korean spokesman never refers to the film by name, it's clear from the context that Rogen's comedy is the one North Korea's having a tantrum over. The spokesman alleges that "a gust of hatred and rage" has swept through North Korea's citizens and soldiers, though it's more likely that none of them are aware the film exists.

The Interview is due for release October 10th, 2014. "Apparently Kim Jong Un plans on watching The Interview," Rogen Tweets. "I hope he likes it!" Two nukes up, by the sound of it. Or possibly one radioactive rotten tomato.

Source: The Guardian

Oh look North Korea at it again. It's so cute they think they matter like a real country. They do this crap once an year until someone pays them or threats to turn them into a parking lot. There like that crazy relative everyone nods at and then ignores.

>tfw Seth Rogen and James Franco end up being the saviours of North Korea

Admit it, that would be the funniest damn thing ever. Even funnier than the film could hope to be.

Although, I have immense doubts that North Korea will follow through on their threats.

I don't see why they're so worried. Nobody in North Korea is going to know the movie exists anyway, considering that there are three TV sets in the entire country and Kim Jong Un owns all of them.

Swift action? What are they gonna do? Spam us on Twitter?
That'll teach those imperialistic dogs!

I hope they make a sequel!

Yes, North Korea and it's NaN of nukes.

The nation has devolved into the equivalent of an elderly housebound person, shaking it's stick at people and threatening them with it's rusted Blunderbuss if they don't comply.

Am I the only one has a serious case of deja vu? Because I am pretty certain that there was a southpark episode with a similar plot (except it was Iraque threatening Canada)...

Eh, NK was threatening Australia the other day as well.

OTOH, Australian diplomats often like to pretend they are involved by telling governments to calm down or don't do things, and finally someone took them seriously, so there's that.

Sure thing. Cool story guys.

I'm sure you could do anything to begin to dent the US military.

C'mon North Korea please nuke California, I want to see modern full HD images of what happens at a nuke blast zone and it's not like anyone will care if California is turned into a crater.

Yeah, I'm sure the government is absolutely shaking at North Korea and their Cold-War era technology.

EDIT: Side note, this movie looks hilarious and I look forward to seeing it.

This seems too ridiculous to be true, especially since the threat is coming from a "unidentified spokesman". I'm sure that there will be articles in a few days showing that this is nonsense.

Oh god...please do so North Korea, I freaking dare you. Then it would give the world an excuse to finally end your pathetic excuse for a country and free those you have subjugated. As much as I don't like advocating war, North Korea is just one of these things in my opinion that got to go.

Waha, I'm sure they're quaking in their boots at the prospect of facing North Korea's full miltary "might" and their sad excuses for nuclear weapons. Who listens to those guys anymore (besides South Korea)? This shit just sounds too funny to be true.

This is serious business guys, if North Korea launched a missile with a nuclear warhead on it they could obliterate the part of the North Korean coast that it falls on after bits start falling off. Chinese knock-off Lego just wasn't designed for intercontinental flight.

Dont the North Koreans make movies about invading and killing other people all the time or something?
SO why should we care really?

Karloff:
While the North Korean spokesman never refers to the film by name, it's clear from the context that Rogen's comedy is the one North Korea's having a tantrum over.

Are we sure of that? I mean, for all we know Kim Jong Un might be outraged that Bay is making a 4th Transformers movie.

This goes against the article I read yesterday where it said that Kim was a bit pissed off with the movie but was looking forward to seeing it all the same.

I mean to be honest, its got to be something of an ego boost to the guy - a) hes considered important enough that a film about his potential assassination hits Hollywood and b)the increased level of publicity. I mean Kim's not going to have to threaten a random country for a few months once this film comes out.

I wonder why do I think that this "declaration" is a fake, created by people, who made/making this movie to give it a bit of attention?

P.S. From maker of Neighbours. Yeah, that's one movie I'll skip.

Jim Kong Nu is going to be ass-ass-inated by ass-assins?

Yay!

The only thing that even remotely scares me about N. Korea is their cyber espionage capabilities.

Beyond that, sometimes I wish N. Korea would just do it. See what happens. I mean, how would they even get over here? Plane, ship, what? What could they do that would possibly make it across the ocean on any significant scale? They don't even have the capacity to launch a missile this far AND they're sitting on the other side of star wars which should be able to stop anything on its way. So yeah, I'd love to see them actually try and fail to attack us and justify a drone strike retaliation so we can finally stop hearing the noise.

Would it be ironic if them attacking us over a movie about killing him gets him killed? Why yes, I do believe that does fit the definition of taking an action to accomplish one goal that instead achieves the opposite.

I guess we could be concerned that they'd attack S. Korea (our ally) to get at us. That's not unreasonable considering the people we're dealing with.

This warms my heart and brings me great mirth. I'll be there opening night.*
_________
*At the movies, not North Korea

Plot twist: The whole North Korea thing is a lie in a genius marketing scheme by Seth and James to promote their movie.

If this is the kind of crap your government worries about, then you have some serious problems.

Ohhh that film is going to be gold! Also how did North Korean know about that film in the making? I thought their internet would be somewhat limited.

North Korea has the fourth largest standing army in the world, with just over 1 million active duty personnel. They also have something like 10 million reservists. North Korea also outnumbers the South on tanks 3:1, SPGs 8:1, and AA guns 10:1.

That's a lot of '0' score reviews on Metacritic.

Unidentified spokesman ... so basically just a PR stunt by the studio?

I'm not entirely sure why North Korea even bothers threatening anyone to be honest. I mean it makes sense to tell their own people that they're going to destroy the US, because they don't know any better, but they must /know/ that noone else takes them seriously right? If any other country threatened death and destruction there might be a bit of a ripple. But with North Korea everyone just laughs at them, and they must realise that if they attempted anything, their antiquated technology would be blasted before the soldiers even realised there were enemy troops.

All this bluster is more for the NK people than for us. Gotta keep up the pretense that NK is the centre of world politics and that all countries see them as a threat. I would love for NK to try and attack SK as they will be destroyed within a week and the NK people will be free.

Scarim Coral:
Ohhh that film is going to be gold! Also how did North Korean know about that film in the making? I thought their internet would be somewhat limited.

The leader not only went to school here, but has no limitations at all.

His family is also known for loving film. His father even tried to make movies and even kidnapped a producer to make him make films to build a N. Korean film industry. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shin_Sang-ok

So yeah, he's heard of movies.

Bindal:
Am I the only one has a serious case of deja vu? Because I am pretty certain that there was a southpark episode with a similar plot (except it was Iraque threatening Canada)...

I thought it was Family Guy... oh wait.

OT: I hope they release the film, as Southpark put it, this is essentially terrorism. I bet most of North Korea doesn't even know who Seth Rogen is!

China, get a mussel for it, before someone gets hurt.

MinionJoe:
North Korea has the fourth largest standing army in the world, with just over 1 million active duty personnel. They also have something like 10 million reservists. North Korea also outnumbers the South on tanks 3:1, SPGs 8:1, and AA guns 10:1.

That's a lot of '0' score reviews on Metacritic.

Hey now, N.Korea have their little episodes every now and then but Metacritic is true evil, as old as the internet itself, ancient and incomprehensible.

North Korea is so cute when it tries to be a real country.

Vareoth:
Waha, I'm sure they're quaking in their boots at the prospect of facing North Korea's full miltary "might" and their sad excuses for nuclear weapons. Who listens to those guys anymore (besides South Korea)? This shit just sounds too funny to be true.

South Koreans don't listen to them either. NK threatens them with annihilation so often that by this point they just laugh it off.

Smolderin:
Oh god...please do so North Korea, I freaking dare you. Then it would give the world an excuse to finally end your pathetic excuse for a country and free those you have subjugated. As much as I don't like advocating war, North Korea is just one of these things in my opinion that got to go.

Its a strange thought. It must be difficult just for a single person to wake up and find that reality is not what you thought. Imagine if an entire country had to do that.

If this is a fake: Nice try, guys. I'm still not interested in your forgettable comedy.

If this is for real: Bring it, North Korea. Our Air Force alone would obliterate anything resembling an invasion force you could muster and, unlike Iraq, pretty much everyone in this country would be in favor of squashing you AND you've got a goose-stepping army with military targets all over the place.

Off-topic: The source of the ad captcha can kiss my ass.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!...gasp...HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!
I almost want them to try their "swift and merciless" retaliation just so we can have a reason to shut those fuckers up once and for all.

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here